BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Stepping up to bigger bike?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:55 - 25 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you've said you don't want to talk about chinese, however...

CFMoto, & Mash, been perfectly reliable for me, the CFMoto even coming out relatively unscathed from a bash into the side of a van, I've literally now, just got round to replacing the damaged side panel !!

The Mash is my goto daily ride, however, that's only a 400cc, so outside your bracket.

My Honda VTX1300 was reliable, fuses had a tendancy to blow though, and it's fair to say, not an ideal commuter.

Suzuki GS500 was reliable, but the seating position wasn't particularly comfortable for me, but as reliability goes, couldn't fault it.

Triumph America, was very reliable, but far to easily prone to corrosion.

To be honest, pretty much any bike you look after should be reliable.

lingeringstin...
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 15:05 - 25 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started out on a minibike with a 3hp lawnmower engine and eventually ended up with about a 100hp CBR6, and then started going back down again. The best all round bike I think I've ever sat arse on was my mate's early 90's Honda 400 CB1.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

scoobiemandan
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 15:19 - 25 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
Well, you've said you don't want to talk about chinese, however...

CFMoto, & Mash, been perfectly reliable for me, the CFMoto even coming out relatively unscathed from a bash into the side of a van, I've literally now, just got round to replacing the damaged side panel !!

Aye, no offence intended, just what I've been told by a few other people. I have a colleague at work who has a Chinese scooter and had nothing but problems with it, she has to travel a fair distance for a garage that will work on it. Okay, so maybe not the same DNA as a bigger bike but that's enough to put me off.

I've got my eye on this 2001 CBR600F. Any comments on this one, decent price (from a dealer) or not?

https://www.hastingsmotorcyclecentre.co.uk/inventory/honda-cbr600f/

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 16:00 - 25 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

scoobiemandan wrote:
I've got my eye on this 2001 CBR600F. Any comments on this one, decent price (from a dealer) or not?

404 for me. A 15 year old bike from a dealer is unlikely to be a bargain though.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:27 - 25 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

scoobiemandan wrote:

Where do we all stand with reliability of bikes. Whos the relaibale marque and who's not?

Everything from the big 4 is reliable, but that doesn't mean they're maintenance-free, nor that they'll stand a daily brine bath w/out incurring oxidation. All of them like regular fresh oil and perhaps even scheduled valve checks/adjustments. But in general I'd nearly go as far as to say most of the bikes from Japan in the last 20 years are very well-made and concomitantly reliable.

However and to be fair such a sweeping statement does disguise model-specific foibles such as the Firestorm's CCT and reg/rec issues (which are potentially problematic on other bikes from Honda at that time, too). But you have to find dedicated forums and start digging - there will be weak points on all models, but it's all relative. Taken in the round, they're all robust - though you *could* maybe point to mid-late '90s Hondas being a slightly better and you *could* perhaps argue that Suzuki tends to have a somewhat thinner finish than others. But there's not a lot in it, I don't think. The Japanese make bloody good bikes.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

scoobiemandan
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 16:53 - 25 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

404 for me. A 15 year old bike from a dealer is unlikely to be a bargain though.

Haha, that's because he's sold it. Just went to have a look and told him it was still online!

Okay, I used to live opposite this particular outfit that had the bike for sale and had quite an interesting conversation with him after going over want I'm kinda after. He led me to a FZS1000! I'll leave that out there for comments.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 177 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2