Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Cbr600F 2006: First big bike

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Lowsider
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 15:17 - 23 Oct 2016    Post subject: Cbr600F 2006: First big bike Reply with quote

Hopefully this works...

Bought this last week, in preparation of passing my tests. I haven't done a great deal to it, put some mirrors on and given it a clean so far. Also got a top box with it, but have taken it off for the moment. Next job on the list is a new front right indicator as its a bit perished, but that can wait.

Really excited, and hoping that as long as I am sensible it wont try to kill me.

Edit: Forgot to add, hopefully will be able to get my head around how tail tidys work soon as I think the rear needs sorting. Anyone have any recommendations?
Pics:
https://i.imgur.com/YH8cjDN.jpg

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:24 - 24 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

be original and leave the rear end as it is Thumbs Up

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:48 - 24 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lighter weight can, power commander.

Nice bike, that. Huge boot too, you can get several sandwiches in there.

Lowsider
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 23:20 - 24 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I get a new exhaust (A slip on can, I think) do I need to fit a power commander too straight away? Sorry, not really sure what its for.

haroman666
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:32 - 24 Oct 2016    Post subject: Re: Cbr600F 2006: First big bike Reply with quote

Lowsider wrote:

Edit: Forgot to add, hopefully will be able to get my head around how tail tidys work soon as I think the rear needs sorting. Anyone have any recommendations?

A hacksaw and a file/sandpaper.

Dont waste money on a bolt on replacement. There's fuckloads of plastic there to keep your plate and indies mounted. Just chop off the excess around the edges of the plate.

You can kind of see what I did here:

https://i1247.photobucket.com/albums/gg630/haroman6661/Mobile%20Uploads/WP_20160508_002_zpskbtzsayz.jpg

And:

https://i1247.photobucket.com/albums/gg630/haroman6661/WP_20160517_007_zpsvrq8rpj9.jpg

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:34 - 24 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lowsider wrote:
If I get a new exhaust (A slip on can, I think) do I need to fit a power commander too straight away? Sorry, not really sure what its for.

Power commander allows you to change the fuel map.

If you change the exhaust then quite often you can't keep the centre stand as the standard exhaust has a significant tab on it to keep the centre stand from touching the chain.

Plus you might have to remove the lambda sensor in the exhaust.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

haroman666
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:36 - 24 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:

If you change the exhaust then quite often you can't keep the centre stand as the standard exhaust has a significant tab on it to keep the centre stand from touching the chain.

Depends on what exhaust you buy.

My Delkevic has the little centre-stand bracket thing.

But a previous owner has angle grinded the centre stand off so it was never a worry for me!! Laughing

Lowsider
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 20:00 - 25 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah thats annoying, I quite like the idea of a centre stand for servicing etc so would rather keep it. Thanks Harroman, I will have a think about doing mine as although I think it needs it I am growing to like the standard rear. Regarding the exhaust, it all sounds a bit too techy for me at the moment so I will try to read up and learn more about it all.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:45 - 25 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

haroman666 wrote:

Depends on what exhaust you buy.

My Delkevic has the little centre-stand bracket thing.

But a previous owner has angle grinded the centre stand off so it was never a worry for me!! Laughing

So did my viper and scorpion cans on my carb CBR. It was tiny and far too short by about 4 inches. So i put some flat 4mm steel and a ball bearing next to the tab to keep it from bending. It snapped off a few weeks later Very Happy

Lowsider wrote:
Regarding the exhaust, it all sounds a bit too techy for me at the moment so I will try to read up and learn more about it all.

It's a fuel injection bike. A fuel injection bike will adjust the amount of fuel that goes into the engine based on sensors around the bike. Air temperature, pressure and oxygen content in the exhaust will determine how much fuel the ECU decides to put into the cylinders.

If you change the exhaust from the standard one often you lose the exhaust sensor. You either need an exhaust with a hole for a sensor or you can use a sensor deleter. It can go either way. One of my FI CBRs got better MPG from no oxygen sensor. The other one ran richer.

Though tbh the performance change is barely noticeable unless you do a full exhaust system change. I changed my carb CBR for a full stainless system. It had no balance pipes and straight through exhaust. It made the bike gutless below 7000RPM (even more gutless than CBRs are) but it enhanced the top end a little bit.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Lowsider
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 16:28 - 26 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah ok, thanks Itchy. I wont bother for the moment then, until I can get an exhaust and power commander at the same time. I only want it for a bit more noise, its going to be plenty fast (for me) for a while yet.

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:39 - 26 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lowsider wrote:
Ah ok, thanks Itchy. I wont bother for the moment then, until I can get an exhaust and power commander at the same time. I only want it for a bit more noise, its going to be plenty fast (for me) for a while yet.

I did the same, got a can and link pipe to make it sound nicer. Showed up a flat spot about 5500rpm that irritated me, so I got a power commander and put a generic 'aftermarket' map on it, which was not shown a dyno, but my bumnomometer thought it was 'better'.

Az
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:54 - 26 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tidying up the tail on this bike is a tad more difficult than the norm. Due to where the key hole for the seat sits.

Your options are to get an aftermarket undertray (which I believe would result in relocating the under seat key hole)

Or simply trim down the existing undertray and maintain a little gap to allow access to your under seat storage. Not as tidy as an aftermarket undertray, but a lot easier and cheaper.

If you change the exhaust, you don't need a power commander/remap, but it does make the bike smoother. Is the cost of a power commander and remap worth it (circa £350 all in)? Probably not, depends on how much the flat spot annoys you I suppose.

Lowsider
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 01:15 - 29 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will keep all of that in mind, for now I will focus on keeping it clean and learning to service it. There is plenty of time for loud exhausts, I need to concentrate on staying right side up rather than racing. Twice I went out to it today, its killing me not being able to ride it. Theory booked, Novembers lessons booked. Nearly there.

Lowsider
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 18:53 - 01 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theory test passed! bloody practice website is really out of date, I didnt get a single question that is on there, nor have I ever seen any of those questions before. Luckily they are all easy to figure out using common sense.

I have 2 lessons a week booked until the end of november, then it will be test time (hopefully). A whole month away.

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:19 - 01 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leave it standard. Fruity pipes and under trays scream "prick" IMHO. Spend the money on a novice track day and learn to ride properly.

chrisdubya
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:41 - 02 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT200Fan79 wrote:
Leave it standard. Fruity pipes and under trays scream "prick" IMHO. Spend the money on a novice track day and learn to ride properly.

Yawn. His bike, let him modify it how he wants Very Happy

Lowsider
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 00:50 - 05 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair, people are going to think I'm a prick regardless; whether thats because I am on a motorbike, or not riding the way they expect me to ride, or holding them up as I am a new rider. I might as well have a nice sounding (in my opinion) bike that i enjoy, whilst I am out being a prick Laughing

Lowsider
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 17:23 - 29 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick question, if anyone is able to help. The main central bolt that holds the handlebars (sorry for the lack of techy terms) seems to have grease/oil coming out of it, not spilling as such but there is black greasy residue coming down the centre.

Can anyone tell me what this is called or is likely to be? If not then no worries, its just that I would like to fix it before I pass my test so that its all ready to go.

Holdawayt
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 17:28 - 29 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like it could be weeping from your headstock bearings if I've followed your description properly. I'd get it looked at just to be sure.

Lowsider
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 19:19 - 29 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

After using 'headstock bearing' to do a google, that looks like it might be it. Thank you for that, it looks fairly involved but I might try and give it a go as I cant take it to a garage (not passed yet).

haroman666
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:10 - 30 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it leaking from the top?

Because I wouldn't imagine it would ooze upwards even with forces through the headstock bearing squeezing it upwards.

In anycase, it's probably just in need of wiping away and not worrying about it. There's nothing else in that area that could leak that would be a problem.

Lowsider
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 01:30 - 30 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it looks like its come from the top bolt. I will try and get a pic uploaded as like you say, I cant imagine it would of come from inside the head stock but I dont know how else it would get there. I will also wipe it clean and try and see where it comes from. Thanks for the ongoing help, much appreciated.

Sean.S
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 12:18 - 30 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cut that fender down and put some smaller indicators on it. I did the tail on my thundercat with a pair of tinsnips and a file/ wet and dry sandpaper. I rounded the corners off neat and tidied the edges and you would have to look hard to notice its not original. Just make sure you mark it out properly before you begin cutting. Delkavic as well are really nice cans for the money Smile

Lowsider
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 17:10 - 30 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the picture of the leak. It feels really tacky, so not sure what it is.

https://i.imgur.com/bQStka8.jpg

I will be leaving the tail stock for now, I just want to ride the thing at the moment. Any time spent on that would be better spent on some riding.

Sean.S
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 17:38 - 30 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

And how many hours a day do you spend riding exactly? Laughing if you Cut it while its still on the bike, its a half hour job. https://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd404/SeanS91/My%20Motorbikes/IMG_4684_zpsrj2uy07i.jpg

https://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd404/SeanS91/My%20Motorbikes/IMG_4689_zpskbjyytf1.jpg

Ive cut it down shorter again now but you get the idea

Sean
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 120 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2