Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

CF650MT

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 00:55 - 04 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every bike has no issues apart from the issues that it has.

It's great to hear that your bike has survived for very nearly a whole year with no issue apart from that issue.

I look forward to hearing that it does continue to meet your expectations. The Duke 125 thread springs to mind, for some reason.

I'm particularly interested in the process of trying to sell it on or trade it in. I've got some expectations of my own about what will happen then.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:55 - 04 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone explain to me exactly what it is that makes the ER6 a boring, shit, hateful bike please? I ask as having ridden one I wasn't feeling it? It was just a decent enough smooth enough all rounder that was an ok bike in many ways.

Is it the sawn in half ZX12R engine or the frame design or the looks that makes the ER6 so hateful and boring and monumentally shit? If it's the engine then why do they bother squeezing 105bhp out of them and winning TT races with them?

And also if the ER6 is the worst bike known to man kind, then what does it say about bikes like GPZ500's, CB500's and ER5's? And how does the SV650 compare to them as they get hated on even worse?

And finally if the ER6 is a disaster of a bike, then what is it that makes the lighter Yamaha MT07 such a fun bike to ride?

Educate me!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:15 - 04 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as before wrote:
And also if the ER6 is the worst bike known to man kind, then what does it say about bikes like GPZ500's, CB500's and ER5's? And how does the SV650 compare to them as they get hated on even worse?

It says the ER5's really shit. I don't know how to put my finger on soulless. It's interesting how the GPZ's generally highly rated compared to the ER5. I'd have to spend longer on an ER6, and investigating twins generally to figure it out, neither of which I'm interested in doing.

I am interested in the whole TT thing however, if I had the time and/or knowledge that would be an interesting project. The appeal of the MT-07's that it's lightweight, I've not heard a single positive thing said about the engine.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:28 - 04 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really? I have heard otherwise though. The 07's engine is supposed to be the best IL2 engine of its capacity and is the most powerful too. The bike itself is light and looks better and better finished than the MT09. I've heard people say that there is no more go in the MT09 until your doing properly illegal speeds too, though I've still not ridden either.

Just of of interest, if you have no time and desire to ever try riding more twin cylinder bikes, then what engine configurations do you have loads of time for?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:43 - 04 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

We must read different material then Smile The MT-09's meant to have a better finish, and I've heard of MT-07 owners regretting their purchase once trying an MT-09.

I hope to try both, if Yamaha do the MT tour again this year I'll go to it. Engines/bikes I want to try are KTMs 690 single and a hypermotard, but they're both expensive. V4's sound interesting as well but I can't think of one that I'd want.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 01:46 - 04 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The GPZ500S engine goes trundle-trundle-trundle-7000rpm-WAAAAAAAAAAARGH. It's a pussycat low down but goes a bit rabid bobcat higher up. It almost feels like it's starting to deliver a top end like an IL4, except it tails off at about 10K and there's only about ~60hp at the peak. But it delivers it in an entertaining way that leaves you in no doubt when you hit the Fun Zone. It's also got a sports-commuter riding position that lets you pretend that it's a racebike when you feel like it.

Aside, the Ninja 250 is pretty much half of that. It also has that 7K "rush", although obviously in a truncated form. It's a hoot to chase the limiter though.

I understand that the ER5 took that manic edge off of the engine and straightened out the power curve. The riding position is a bit more pipe-and-slippers too, so you can't crouch down and pretend you're Valentino Lorenzo.

I've not managed to blag a go on an ER6 (or "Ninja 650" now) to see which heritage it's adopted.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:00 - 04 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wouldn't be the first time a manufacturer has castrated an engine. Hornet 900 - fireblade engine, considered boring. CBF1000 - more recent blade engine, considered boring. Hornet 600 - CBR engine, considered boring, when I don't think the bikes those engines were taken from are considered boring.

CrusaderPhil
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 08:10 - 04 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

It's great to hear that your bike has survived for very nearly a whole year with no issue apart from that issue.

I look forward to hearing that it does continue to meet your expectations. The Duke 125 thread springs to mind, for some reason.

I'm particularly interested in the process of trying to sell it on or trade it in. I've got some expectations of my own about what will happen then.

With 20,000 on it, it will probably not fetch a lot, but neither did the 305 CB72 I bought as a scrapper back in the 60's only 8000 miles from new, new battery and points adjust solved the problems and I had it 4 years until it was nicked from my back yard.

CrusaderPhil
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 08:12 - 04 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
Can anyone explain to me exactly what it is that makes the ER6 a boring, shit, hateful bike please? I ask as having ridden one I wasn't feeling it? It was just a decent enough smooth enough all rounder that was an ok bike in many ways.

Is it the sawn in half ZX12R engine or the frame design or the looks that makes the ER6 so hateful and boring and monumentally shit? If it's the engine then why do they bother squeezing 105bhp out of them and winning TT races with them?

And finally if the ER6 is a disaster of a bike, then what is it that makes the lighter Yamaha MT07 such a fun bike to ride?

Educate me!

Probably a quote by someone who can not afford one and heard someone else quoting rubbish

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:20 - 04 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MC, you really did screw up your point, as the Honda Hornet 600 was a brilliant fun bike, probably the most fun and best naked before the Street triple. The late Yamaha FZ6 may have been as good, but no better or prettier.

They only lost a claimed 5bhp from the CBR 600 engine, in the name of retuning. A whole different kettle of fish from the other bikes you mentioned.

Also the CBF 1000 was supposed to be boring, having a 2004 Fireblade engine has nothing to do with that. People just hear things quoted and say crap bike, because I heard down the pub it has a ruined version of a fucking legend superbike engine. You wouldn't if you were making bikes design a new purpose built engine for every model if you could adapt existing motors to do other jobs.

There's some pretty successful examples of manufacturers doing this, the Suzuki TL 1000 engine had a far longer more successful life retuned and housed in touring/adventure bikes, when it never had chance to shine in compromised below par sportsbikes.

The GPZ500 as Roger mentioned is a fun engine and arguably better than the 125bhp GPZ1000RX full size motor if not smoother, as the big GPZ was never a great bike due to excess weight and a poor chassis.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:32 - 04 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

CrusaderPhil wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:

With 20,000 on it, it will probably not fetch a lot, but neither did the 305 CB72 I bought as a scrapper back in the 60's only 8000 miles from new, new battery and points adjust solved the problems and I had it 4 years until it was nicked from my back yard.

Are you saying no one will nick it because chinky? In that I would almost agree with you except feral scum have no taste.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:48 - 04 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Racist.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:59 - 04 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Hornet, while fairly linear in it's throttle response up to about 7K, is not boring past that, it's got some get up and go, even the '02, 65K example I usually ride. I wouldn't call it "brilliant", but it's certainly not boring.

The ER5 *is* boring. Frustrating. Hateful.

I've not ridden an ER6 so I can't comment, but I know someone with one, so I'll try to blag a ride.

CrusaderPhil
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 10:28 - 04 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
The Hornet, while fairly linear in it's throttle response up to about 7K, is not boring past that, it's got some get up and go, even the '02, 65K example I usually ride. I wouldn't call it "brilliant", but it's certainly not boring.

I've not ridden an ER6 so I can't comment, but I know someone with one, so I'll try to blag a ride.

I have just got back from a ride on a Honda NC750, now compared with my TR, that was boring.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:31 - 04 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

CrusaderPhil wrote:
ThatDippyTwat wrote:

I have just got back from a ride on a Honda NC750, now compared with my TR, that was boring.

An NC750 is as boring as Baldrick on a very boring day, but it's not built to excite, it's built to commute. It's a maxi scooter with gears.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:07 - 04 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

CrusaderPhil wrote:
With 20,000 on it, it will probably not fetch a lot

I'll be surprised if you find anyone willing to take it off your hands for more than sweetie money. The local WK shoppe (until they threw in the towel) didn't even deal in used bikes.

That said, given that they're only ~£3750 OTR new, you can't lose that much on it. I think they've got the prices right at the moment.

CrusaderPhil
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 14:23 - 04 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
CrusaderPhil wrote:
With 20,000 on it, it will probably not fetch a lot

I'll be surprised if you find anyone willing to take it off your hands for more than sweetie money. The local WK shoppe (until they threw in the towel) didn't even deal in used bikes.

That said, given that they're only ~£3750 OTR new, you can't lose that much on it. I think they've got the prices right at the moment.

That is why I bought it, a good brand new reliable bike capable of more miles than any S/H bike I have ever owned in the past for about they same price as an old Deauville and capable of doing the winter riding, £3559 is what I paid

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:49 - 04 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
MC, you really did screw up your point, as the Honda Hornet 600 was a brilliant fun bike, probably the most fun and best naked before the Street triple. The late Yamaha FZ6 may have been as good, but no better or prettier.

They only lost a claimed 5bhp from the CBR 600 engine, in the name of retuning. A whole different kettle of fish from the other bikes you mentioned.

Also the CBF 1000 was supposed to be boring, having a 2004 Fireblade engine has nothing to do with that. People just hear things quoted and say crap bike, because I heard down the pub it has a ruined version of a fucking legend superbike engine. You wouldn't if you were making bikes design a new purpose built engine for every model if you could adapt existing motors to do other jobs.

So a good friend who I ride with hated the Hornet (because boring) and loves his CBR600F. I've heard many other people describe Hornets as boring, and I believe it's just over 10bhp btw.

It's not just the CBF1000, there are numourous examples where they 'retune' the engine (normally for a naked variant), as they wouldn't want a cheaper machine to compete against a more expensive model.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 14:54 - 04 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought the Hornet 600 (only ridden the original) was pretty boring - ride one back to back with a CBR and the engine is even blander, as is the handling and riding position.

But then I suspect M.C doesn't count his MT03 as boring Confused.
Wink

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:01 - 04 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The offer for you to have a go on my bike's still there G Wink I don't recall anyone having ridden one saying it's boring, only people who look at it on paper (47bhp/191kg etc.).

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:58 - 04 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fucking lol!
MC if you ride a Hornet 600, but with harder compound front brake pads like those fitted to the CBR there's not an area which it won't beat your overweight 660 silly.

It was a great fun bike, the best naked machine of the 90's even. Remember that was a decade where Bandit 600's were thought of as a fun and brilliant value bike too.

I've not ridden a steelie CBR 600, but the Hornet is 6kg lighter and claimed power is 5bhp less. At the rear wheel it could be closer to 10bhp, but the lighter weight and lower gearing noticeably outweigh 10bhp.

There was nothing bar possibly the FZ6, when they upgraded the brakes on the series 2 version that could come close to being such a fun naked 600ish cc bike, right up till 2006 and the Triumph Street triple revolutionised the market. The FZ was detuned a bit too much, and was not any quicker than the Hornet despite what should have been a bike full of win with an alloy frame and original version R6 motor.

Keep on talking crap about all twins though, your opinion isn't even valid as you said there's not been a single V4 bike that's been interesting enough for you ever. I just hope the KTM 690 is everything you ever dreamed of when you get to ride one, as if not it sounds like your pretty fucked for a future bike purchase?

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:11 - 04 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

When was I comparing it to the MT-03 genius? I respect my pals opinion (which matches the general consensus), vs. a random internet guy who does 6 miles a year and gets wet over metro turbos.

M.C wrote:
V4's sound interesting as well but I can't think of one that I'd want.

stevo as b4 wrote:
Keep on talking crap about all twins though, your opinion isn't even valid as you said there's not been a single V4 bike that's been interesting enough for you ever.

Yeah that's the same as what you wrote Rolling Eyes

CrusaderPhil
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 19:21 - 04 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
stevo as b4 wrote:

So a good friend who I ride with hated the Hornet (because boring) and loves his CBR600F. I've heard many other people describe Hornets as boring, and I believe it's just over 10bhp btw.

It's not just the CBF1000, there are numourous examples where they 'retune' the engine (normally for a naked variant), as they wouldn't want a cheaper machine to compete against a more expensive model.

This Topic is about the WK/CF 650-MT, not Yamaha MT-03, start your own topic

CrusaderPhil
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 19:26 - 04 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

It has already exceeded my expectation and continues to do so, what I get from it now is a bonus, we have a facebook group called WK-650TR OWNERS, you can see 5 of them side by side, all the owners love them.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:57 - 04 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

CrusaderPhil wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:

It has already exceeded my expectation and continues to do so, what I get from it now is a bonus, we have a facebook group called WK-650TR OWNERS, you can see 5 of them side by side, all the owners love them.

And they would never say anything else, whatever they were like as they would get the piss ripped out of them for buying Chinese.

I am tempted to get one at those prices just to see how much Chinese tat has improved since one of them tried to kill my son but I know if I walked into the garage and there was a WK and my Trophy to chose from, which would get used.

HOWEVER -

Just looking for dealerships to go have a nose at them I found this.....

https://www.f2motorcycles.ltd.uk/

Good points, it sells brand new Urals with sidecars. Dance! Dance!
Bad points, they cost more than my effin Trophy did. Shocked
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 26 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3