Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Buying a Aprilia RS50 this Saturday

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Dimerz
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 01:25 - 24 Oct 2016    Post subject: Buying a Aprilia RS50 this Saturday Reply with quote

Hello again, I'm buying a Aprilia RS50, why you may ask? Let me tell you the specs of the bike first, roughly 30k miles, 57 plate, red and has a fresh MOT on it. Best part: £400. You may be like wow wow wow, make sure its all running. It's my friends and he rides it all the time, he says its all in good condition and he's only selling it as he's getting a car, but even if something does need to be repaired I'll do it. Firstly, I'm only buying this bike to sell it, so I have more money when I buy my 125. Turn 17 in December. Just wanted to share and hear some opinions.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 01:27 - 24 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is your friend selling it?

Dimerz
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 01:29 - 24 Oct 2016    Post subject: Re: Buying a Aprilia RS50 this Saturday Reply with quote

Dimerz wrote:
he says its all in good condition and he's only selling it as he's getting a car

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 01:37 - 24 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Oh yeah.

If it's in good working order then he'd quite easily be able to get more than £400 for it so I'd be very suspicious of what condition it's really in.

£400 will be a fraction of what his insurance will cost so he'll be needing all the money he can get. The only reason for flogging it on the cheap is because there's something not quite right with it and he wants rid of it before that something becomes more obvious.

Do you know when it last had an engine rebuild?

Dimerz
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 01:45 - 24 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

He wanted 500 i put him down to 400 and hes a rich teenager, i dont think he cares about the money much. Dont think he even checked how much they were going for. Will ask if he knows when it last gad a engine rebuild but he's had the bike for a year now.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:28 - 24 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
The only reason for flogging it on the cheap is because there's something not quite right with it and he wants rid of it before that something becomes more obvious.

Which doesn't matter as long as it's running now, and OP resists the urge to insure / ride / "tune" it, and instead just flogs it on straight away to some other mug.

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:33 - 24 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess the question is;
Are you mechanically minded and happy to work on your own bike?

If he answer is Yes, then it's a price that could be good.

If the answer is No, then you'll need someone that knows about these things to have a look at it before you buy it.

Either way you'll then need to keep your fingers crossed that it's a 'good un'.

Dimerz
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 12:40 - 24 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah i wont be riding it (ill somehow resist). Ill just put it as sorn till its looking good and sells. But yeah im a quick learner and already learnt a few things about the bike. My friend he owns a VTR1000 and he rebuilt his whole bike in seperate parts so he'll help me too I guess. Also got Youtube and this wonderful forum.

Little update the Aprili RS50 had a engine rebuild 2 months ago.

symonh2000
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 18:11 - 24 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

30,000 miles is quite a high mileage for that type of bike.

I appreciate it has had an engine rebuild, but it would be worth finding out what was done and who did it.

Not sure if the 50 versions are the same as the 125's in that they need piston ring changes every few thousand miles due to the large ports causing them stress.

The engine is also likely to use a plated cylinder, so if it is damaged it will be expensive to replace/re-plate.

Are you planning on riding it as a moped?

If so then it will need to be restricted otherwise your licence, insurance, MOT etc will not be valid.

Dimerz
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 20:59 - 24 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

symonh2000 wrote:

Not sure if the 50 versions are the same as the 125's in that they need piston ring changes every few thousand miles due to the large ports causing them stress.

The engine is also likely to use a plated cylinder, so if it is damaged it will be expensive to replace/re-plate.

Seems like this issue isn't very common after giving it a quick search on google.

symonh2000 wrote:

Are you planning on riding it as a moped?

If so then it will need to be restricted otherwise your licence, insurance, MOT etc will not be valid.

Won't be riding the motorbike, just simply going to Tax and set it SORN, fix it up (make it look good) and sell it. Only gathering money for my 125 and money can be made here.

Dimerz
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 21:04 - 24 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

But then, I ran into a thought, I've seen on the Aprilia forum that people have managed to get a 125 engine in the RS50. I'm assuming it must have been hard work and a lot of patience and adjusting. But should i even have a thought of doing that or just dump that idea straight away? It'd save me buying another bike, but would mean, buying the engine (and alot more things presumably) and dealing with the DVLA rubbish.

Somone fit a YZ125 in a RS50:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFTApga46Yk
https://www.sportbikes.net/forums/general-sportbikes/446159-new-2stroke-mini-gp-replica-project.html

symonh2000
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 21:35 - 24 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

By fitting a 125 engine you are opening a big can of worms.

You will need to get the bike re-registered if it is going to be legal, it will cost a bit to do and you are likely to end up with a bike that is worth a fair bit less than a proper 125.

The reason being the insurance will be more than a 125 because it is "Modified" and anyone who wants a 125 is likely just to buy the 125 in the first place.

Unless someone buys it to ride on a moped licence. Sad

Dimerz
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 21:47 - 24 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

symonh2000 wrote:
By fitting a 125 engine you are opening a big can of worms.

Pretty sure I don't want to go down this route, and felt a regret hitting the enter button when I wrote out that post Embarassed

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:33 - 24 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dimerz wrote:
symonh2000 wrote:
By fitting a 125 engine
Pretty sure I don't want to go down this route, and felt a regret hitting the enter button when I wrote out that post Embarassed

If you're going to do something like that, have a look for a 250 motor... Laughing

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 00:08 - 25 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Which doesn't matter as long as it's running now, and OP resists the urge to insure / ride / "tune" it, and instead just flogs it on straight away to some other mug.

OP will have an advantage if he knows what's wrong with it.

Some of the spares or repair shit heaps go for more than £400 on eBay so I wouldn't have high expectations for what condition it's really in.

OP says he'll "fix it up", what needs fixing?

There's no reason why whatever's wrong with it would be a deal breaker but it'd be nice for you to know what you're buying. It's the "friend" not wanting to tell you what problems its got that is the bit which makes me wary. You'll have an easier time selling it on if you know what's wrong with it because that's what buyers want to know.

Sold RS50 listings on eBay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Motorcycles-Scooters/422/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=RS50&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc&_trksid=p2045573.m1684

Lots of them have been relisted which most likely means the seller has been less than truthful when describing their bike.

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:46 - 25 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dimerz wrote:
just simply going to Tax and set it SORN,

WTF, would you tax it, then SORN it ?????? You would lose 1 month for jack shit.... Laughing

Just SORN it when you get the paperwork Rolling Eyes

You do it with the "New Keeper" slip your friend will give you. Karma

Dimerz
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 11:22 - 25 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does OP even stand for Laughing , see you type it all the time. I'm pretty sure nothing is wrong with it. He still rides it and has been riding it for over a year. Even if there is something wrong it may be a minor. If there's an obstacle we will over come it. Can't just refuse not to even attempt it at first.

And I though your had to tax it then make it sorn?

Maybe not: https://www.gov.uk/make-a-sorn

Ste wrote:

There's no reason why whatever's wrong with it would be a deal breaker but it'd be nice for you to know what you're buying.

Agreed.

Last edited by Dimerz on 11:30 - 25 Oct 2016; edited 2 times in total

Doovy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:24 - 25 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Original Post / Original Poster

Dimerz
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 11:25 - 25 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doovy wrote:
Original Post / Original Poster
Thanks Thumbs Up

sinedtomuch
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 11:56 - 25 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

My spidey sense tells me that your "friend" will soon become your enemy.

I'm with Ste.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dimerz
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 12:22 - 25 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the bikes here on Saturday, what should I look at?

Ofcourse I'll check the:
- Chain & Sprocket
- Rust
- Brake Pads & Discs
- Tyre's
- Fairings
- Exhaust

What else?

carpe_diem
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 13:21 - 25 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dimerz wrote:

Ofcourse I'll check the:
- Chain & Sprocket
- Rust
- Brake Pads & Discs
- Tyre's
- Fairings
- Exhaust

What else?

Bogging screw and topbox fitting

Dimerz
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 13:59 - 25 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

carpe_diem wrote:
Bogging screw and topbox fitting

Topbox fitting? It's not got one, and bogging screw? I searched that up and is that where it changes the idle speed and fuel/air mixture? Where would i find the bogging screw?

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:03 - 25 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dimerz wrote:

Ofcourse I'll check the:
- Chain & Sprocket
- Rust
- Brake Pads & Discs
- Tyre's
- Fairings
- Exhaust

What else?

Purely in the interest of orthographic research, what is your personal rule for using apostrophes in plurals? Why does Tyres get one but not Fairings or Discs?

Not taking the piss (well, maybe I am a bit!) but I'm seriously curious about these things. I see it a lot, and I often wonder. I saw a sign-written van this week advertising Lawns and Patio's and I didn't get a chance to ask him so I'm picking on you instead because I think your internal rule might be similar to his.

Feel free to ignore me though. Most people do Wink

Dimerz
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 14:07 - 25 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evil Hans wrote:
Dimerz wrote:

Ofcourse I'll check the:
- Chain & Sprocket
- Rust
- Brake Pads & Discs
- Tyre's
- Fairings
- Exhaust

What else?

Purely in the interest of orthographic research, what is your personal rule for using apostrophes in plurals? Why does Tyres get one but not Fairings or Discs?

Not taking the piss (well, maybe I am a bit!) but I'm seriously curious about these things. I see it a lot, and I often wonder. I saw a sign-written van this week advertising Lawns and Patio's and I didn't get a chance to ask him so I'm picking on you instead because I think your internal rule might be similar to his.

Feel free to ignore me though. Most people do Wink

Laughing Laughing I didn't even realise I put it there. Usually I only put a apostrophe for missing letters only. But tyres doesn't need one. Plain stupid heh. Embarassed

Now your going to make me double check what I write because I know your here. Mad
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 178 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3