Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

We Ride London

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

TheArchitect
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:40 - 24 Oct 2016    Post subject: We Ride London Reply with quote

No intending to spam but I think this is in aid of all of us, not just Londoners..

https://www.weridelondon.com/

A friend of a friend is organising this with the backing of a few influential supporters to highlight the issues surrounding the proposed ULEZ charge on bikes as well as general motorcycle safety on the roads.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:46 - 24 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Riding a motorcycle is scooter in London can also be more dangerous than it needs to be.

Does he need a proof-reader?
I can do this at an acceptable rate, payable in installments at a low APR.

TheArchitect
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:54 - 24 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:

Does he need a proof-reader?
I can do this at an acceptable rate, payable in installments at a low APR.

Laughing I'll be sure to pass on your offer!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:41 - 24 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I see is "coming soon" and some links to a web host. Am I missing anything important or can I move along and go about my business?

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 14:23 - 24 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

A misspelt placeholder page and a hashtag Sleeping

TheArchitect
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:28 - 24 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange.. this morning they had a "About Us" page essentially describing their aim and how they'll go about it.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:00 - 24 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google cache wrote:

Mission

Make Riding safe for all

Bikers in London get a rough deal.

It’s about to get Rougher.

We’ve had enough and are going to take action.

We want to be treated just as well as cyclists, because …"we’re worth it."

Our mission is to help make London the safest riding supercity in the world

Good job they're keeping that plan secret, we don't want TfL to get wind of it prematurely.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:10 - 24 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Rogerborg"]
Google cache wrote:

Mission

Make Riding safe for all

Rain Pal strikes again.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:18 - 24 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cant see nowt but a logo on the page but will give it
a provisional thumbs up.
MAG seem to have little or no effect at all on raising PTW riders profile
and BCFs political wings, the Riders Popular Front and the Popular Front for Riders, are too busy infighting and sneering to be of much use.

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:22 - 24 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Fabecook link at the bottom of the page points to:-

https://www.facebook.com/squarespace

Is your "mate" doing this for self-promotion?

Quote:
Squarespace's mission is to provide creative tools that power the future of the web. From designers creating the next generation of web and mobile experiences, to anyone managing their own online presence for the first time, Squarespace provides elegant solutions that set new standards for online publishing. By focusing our efforts on the fusion of design and engineering, we strive to create long-lasting products that delight and surprise our customers.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:35 - 24 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

This reminds me, I've got to start stockpiling 07-08 bikes.

https://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/austinpowers/images/2/27/DrEvil.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20060429014754

TheArchitect
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:35 - 24 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaNsA wrote:

I don't think so, or at least I hope not! As mentioned, I got hold of this info via a friend of a friend so I'm just spreading the word really.

The group behind this are the same people who organise the Distinguished Gentlemans Ride and run the Bike Shed in Shoreditch. That said I would hope it's legit and does gain some momentum.

Piercee100
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 16:54 - 24 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't that the Hipster lot?

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:31 - 24 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheArchitect wrote:
The group behind this are the same people who organise the Distinguished Gentlemans Ride and run the Bike Shed in Shoreditch.

That will put a lot of people off, myself included. We ride bikes because we love riding bikes, Hipsters care about the image of riding a bike and are twats.

Fuck that noise.

TheArchitect
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:33 - 24 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just been told the website is still under development and it shouldn't have been shared yet - hence the typos and links to the site developer! Rolling Eyes

Sorry for the preemptive excitement!

TheArchitect
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:38 - 24 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:

That will put a lot of people off, myself included. We ride bikes because we love riding bikes, Hipsters care about the image of riding a bike and are twats.

Fuck that noise.

Surely it doesn't matter who's making the noise, as long as it's the right noise? If a hipster is willing to spend his Sunday afternoon petitioning and rallying for safer roads for motorcyclists then good on him as that's a win for all bikers isn't it?

Azoth
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 18:10 - 24 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheArchitect wrote:
Surely it doesn't matter who's making the noise,

It matters.

Last time, that lot bought hundreds of thousands of Facebook 'likes', and used random photos of bikes belonging to individuals around the world, before even opening their cafe. You would never have guessed that there was such enthusiasm for a hipster cafe in Shoreditch that had apparently been visited and rated 5-star by so many Vietnamese nationals. Perhaps it's no surprise, as all people all around the world speak the same language: £$¥₹€

This time, they're using you to start a thread about it here, with specific instructions 'not to share the site yet' (but not too loudly - in the tacit hope that you would share it) to test the waters and get a free 'bump' in Google ranks and lists for them and their site, with a lesser aim of using us, ordinary people and bikers, to support yet another social media group/page/fansite, which is altogether impotent but for the purpose of raising the profile of their wannabe cafe. £$¥₹€
Just make sure you get paid.

Dimerz
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 21:29 - 24 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaNsA wrote:
The Fabecook link at the bottom of the page points to:-

https://www.facebook.com/squarespace

Quote:
Squarespace's mission is to provide creative tools that power the future of the web. From designers creating the next generation of web and mobile experiences, to anyone managing their own online presence for the first time, Squarespace provides elegant solutions that set new standards for online publishing. By focusing our efforts on the fusion of design and engineering, we strive to create long-lasting products that delight and surprise our customers.

Squarespace is what they built they're website with, anyone who creates a website with them will have squarespace's details at the bottom of the page to promote the host of the website. Simple terms, it allows people to go and create a website themselves and knows where to go.

Mawsley
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 21:35 - 24 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
A misspelt placeholder page and a hashtag Sleeping

Nothing says 'hip', 'happening', 'now' and 'failed Apprentice candidate' than a misspelt placeholder page and a hashtag. I have an overbearing urge to grow a goatee and get online in a sushi bar.

We have seen the future and the future is a chuffing expensive CB500 bobber that you could have made for a tenner with a hacksaw and a tin of black Hammerite.

TheArchitect
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:07 - 24 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tawny wrote:
they're using you to start a thread about it here

You have a bad case of paranoia about these so called hipsters. Look, no one has asked me or paid me to start this thread. I have quite a bit else to do with my life so promoting someone else's cause isn't top of the list for me. I came across it through word of mouth and thought I'd share. You know as you do on forums.

Also why on earth would you slam a group who might want to help, successfully or otherwise on a cause that has the potential to benefit you. Yes you. Utter nonsense.

Azoth
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 22:18 - 24 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheArchitect wrote:
Look, no one has asked me or paid me to start this thread.

I know. That's why I tried to give you a bit of helpful advice. They used you and you didn't even know you were being used.

Quote:
I have quite a bit else to do with my life so promoting someone else's cause isn't top of the list for me.

It isn't, for anyone, here or elsewhere. But most of us are able to avoid it by only making friends with worthwhile people and shunning the plastic ones who just like to 'use' people they come across.

Quote:
I came across it through word of mouth

Expand on this with details, and if you can keep your temper I'll explain exactly how they drew you into this social media guerrilla marketing campaign. I can guarantee, 100%, that whoever put you up to this, or the person who told him to approach you, knew you have an account on this forum here. Otherwise you wouldn't have been worth their time by having been filled in 'on the grapevine'.

Quote:
Also why on earth would you slam a group who might want to help, successfully or otherwise on a cause that has the potential to benefit you. Yes you. Utter nonsense.

You mentioned right off the bat that this is a real campaign involving 'influential' people who could really 'help'. Names of these movers and shakers, since you seem to be so privy to this grassroots campaign nobody else seems to have heard of?

Are you lying? If you are, at least do it for REAL friends, or for money. That's all I'm saying.

Azoth
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 22:48 - 24 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you ever been surfing? I haven't, as it doesn't interest me, but I've seen surfers.

What they do is, they look for a wave. The bigger, the better. Then they ride on top of it, on a board. Then they look for the next wave. Success, for them, is measured by the size of the wave and the length of time they can ride on top of it.

Right now, there is a large-ish sort of wave in London, in protest against motorbike theft in the capital. It's attracted a lot of anger and enthusiasm, and has brought a lot of diverse people together on social networks. People who otherwise wouldn't urinate on each other if they were on fire. The bonds between them finer than the threads in a spider's web...

MAG has managed to organise a sort of haphazard petition to submit to the Mayor in protest against bike theft. It isn't much, but, at least, everyone from all walks of life can agree that they don't want their bikes to be nicked. This has translated into a lot of meaningless and empty hullaballoo on social media.

Entrepreneurs of a more cynical stripe have attempted to ride the crest of this wave. These include that guy who quickly 'invented' a bike lock that makes a thief mildly nauseous, and another guy who 'invented' red spray paint, which is supposed to 'help' in some way. There's even a patch club that will ride in procession around London, on a protest ride. Everyone has their brand, their logo. The aim: money.

The one that pertains to that hastily purchased web domain, advertising no cause at all, not addressing any need, etc. is just the same. It's nothing special. Sooner or later a cafe logo will appear, and all that volunteer work to put in a good word will translate to cold, hard cash for someone who isn't me, nor, tragically, a well-meaning volunteer 'supporter'.

Sable
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:49 - 24 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good grief Tawny. Neutral

Might be worth a nosey. Will be awfully hipster. Might have Charlie... Ewan's mate there. He is often at the Bike Shed / DGR events. Would also probably have Triumph as well. Maybe the guy who is behind the Movember foundation too? I quite like that fellow, met him a few times organising events.

As it goes with these guys, they can organise and mobilise themselves for events. They can plan a gathering. The can plan and run rides through London. They could organise a protest. Which other motorcycle group could reliably run a protest motorcycle event without the Eastenders style drama?

Azoth
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 23:08 - 24 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sable wrote:
Which other motorcycle group could reliably run a protest motorcycle event without the Eastenders style drama?

You're right, they toy with the fantasy of being a 'motorcycle group'. It irks me considerably that a bunch of spivs and Johnny-come-latelys should call themselves a 'motorcycle group', when even long-established cafes such as Loomies and Ryka's don't make the same claim. Like I said, the sort of people I wouldn't cross the road to urinate on if they were on fire. I only have time for worthwhile people who don't abuse and exploit others' sense of belonging based on a shared interest in motorbikes. Not these guys.

It's frankly insulting that someone (who?) pays for a website, then, through their friends tells everyone it's for their own good, so how dare they question it, and invites support for nonexistent 'activism' when they have no policy or manifesto whatsoever. And then use real hobbyists' websites like this one to get free bumps up Google's search rankings. No matter what we say or argue about here, as you know, all publicity is good publicity. On Bookface messages, the strategising and backslapping goes on, unabated. 'What's our next move going to be? It's got to be before the MAG protest on 6 November. Tim, you can be Finance Officer. Who wants to be Research President? We need a special team and a website with our profiles on it, guys. Send me 30 words about yourself and a photo.'

Meanwhile, if your bike gets nicked and you've tracked it to a housing estate in Lewisham, who's coming? Who's up for some action? These hipsters from the self-declared 'motorcycle group'? I don't think so. Their cynical tactics, dressing up their spin on Starbucks as if it was something more meaningful, selling the promise of sexual success to awkward young men, just as long as they buy that £500 branded Pakistani leather jacket and join the 'group' of real, hardcore bikers (lol), make a mockery of everything that's decent and genuine in human relations. The camp high-five on their website says it all.. The one who has the last laugh won't be them. They'll get old and retire as the frauds they are, with exactly the same number of REAL friends as they made in their youth.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:42 - 25 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sable wrote:
Which other motorcycle group could reliably run a protest motorcycle event without the Eastenders style drama?

We get pissed off at them because they're selling a lifestyle. Same as HD do (Yeah, generalising, but it's largely true). If you haven't bought into it yourself, you will get blanked by them if you try to talk to them about bikes, socialise with them or nod at them when passing. You have not bought into their lifestyle, you are beneath them, you don't "get" it, and they are not socialising with someone who hasn't purchased a lifestyle, clothes, similar products to them.

The keywords are are selling, bought, purchased.

We ride bikes because we love riding bikes, they ride them because it's part of the lifestyle they have chosen to purchase, and the twatty shop does nothing but gouge the bastards for shitty bikes that only have an aesthetic appeal to twats that have ruined facial hair for the rest of the male population. Fuck Hipsters. They know nothing outside of the crappy skin deep shit they are riding.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 156 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3