Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

125cc for long distance(Daily)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Jordan86
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:59 - 24 Oct 2016    Post subject: 125cc for long distance(Daily) Reply with quote

Hi all,
I'm living and working in London.
I'm planing to move in Chatham(Kent) and travel to my job (Cental London) one way will be around 35miles...
I'm not biker yet and I don't feel ready for bigger engine than 125cc
So the question is do you think 125cc will do the job and is going to be safe with slow bike on A2...is going to be too much miles everyday?
Thank you very much

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:05 - 24 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose it's doable but if I was going to do it on a 125 I'd want a Varadero.

Azoth
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 14:12 - 24 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

You meet the worst and most impatient drivers in the rush hour. In addition, London is a crowded place, and drivers are more intolerant. The most important question you have to ask yourself is, as a beginner, do you have the skill to commute that route confidently and safely?

That's a long distance away, and doing it on a 125 is easily possible but not necessarily comfortable. The journey will be tiring. Commuting on a 125 used to leave me with no energy left for anything, and my commuting distances were much shorter than yours. The weather will also be a challenge. Altogether, this could be a very unpleasant autumn and winter if you make the wrong decisions or are unprepared.

If you work out the costs on paper, the savings you may make might be negligible compared with the cost of a rail season ticket. I would recommend taking the train for now, and leave bikes as a leisure time activity, giving yourself lots of time to learn, take lessons and get a full licence.

Jordan86
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 14:33 - 24 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys for the quick reply Smile
The most important thing for me is the time...for sure the car is not a option.
The train is ok but from the door to the stations and changing these busy underground stations will lost at least 30mins...so in total will be around 1.5hour.But as you said until I get to work with 125 I'll be fu...dSmileI'll try all options and will see.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:39 - 24 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll lose at least 15 minutes either end at getting changed / dealing with the bike.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:09 - 24 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh. Ten-ish, maybe. Parking location is probably as important.

I'd look into scooters, e.g. SH125 or PCX125. Much better weather protection, decent storage, less to bother about.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:28 - 24 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

UncleBFester wrote:
You'll lose at least 15 minutes either end at getting changed / dealing with the bike.

Why?? Get up, have a wash, brush my teeth, give the dog it's breakfast, get the bike out of the garage, all within 10 minutes. Get to work, park up, get the lift to my floor, my jacket's on the back of my chair, my helmet is off, and I'm signed in, in under 5 minutes.

Granted, my makeup is a mess though Wink Very Happy

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:41 - 24 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reckon it could easily take an hour+ to do that 35 miles in busy London stop go traffic.

If you were to filter like a mad eejit you may knock some time off
but as a new rider you probably wont have the experience to do that right away and initially at least, find its hardly quicker than using a car.

I don't know that A2 route very well but will guess its busy and would also seriously consider a good, robust T&G scoot rather than tap dance on a 125s gear change plus the associated clutch grabbing for 2 hours plus a day

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 16:33 - 24 Oct 2016    Post subject: Re: 125cc for long distance(Daily) Reply with quote

First up, caution against commuting straight off the stops all too frequently; city and rush hour traffic is NOT the place to be doing your early learning; so I would recommend getting the licence and some experience under your wheels before you tackle it, and certainly not trying it fresh off the stops on CBT & L's on a 125.

Next; 35miles each way, 70 a day, 350 a week, 17,000 a year JUST going to and from work. That sort of mileage is going to be a strain regardless of the vehicle.

That will I imagine be at least an hour, more likely an hour and a half each way. even on a bike, even using its ability to 'filter' which again, as above I would NOT recommend you dive straight into fresh off a training course.

Bigger bikes tend to be more comfortable for longer journeys, but not necessarily much more so, and for that sort for environment dealing with that much traffic for that long, stress is going to make it tiring however long your bum may last on however soft a seat!

125's can usually go as fast as any powered two wheeler is legally allowed to travel in this country, and are a little lighter and nimbler; and COULD do the job as well as anything. Bigger Bikes tend to cost more, and more so the bigger they are.

One thing about little bikes though is that they tend to need quite frequent maintenance; and that can be quite expensive if you have to pay a mechanic to do it.

A little Honda CG125, begs oil changes every 1000miles; at your suggested mileage, that will be every three weeks, if you do no other miles. In the mean time, it will need its Chain & Sprockets checking and tension and oiling, probably every 250 miles; IF you have a decent set on there when you start you might stretch that out to weekly. Its very much a case of little and often, but can be a ballache finding that time.

Lower quality chinese 125's are likely to need even more frequent attention; newer Japanese scooters with a belt drive possibly a tad less, but they are all in the same general 'order', and often comes as a shock to many, particularly car drivers used to having to do little but fill the petrol tank between annual MOT's.

Bigger bikes, 'tend' to have longer service intervals; oil changes are likely to come up at maybe 2or3ooo miles or so; chains & sprockets sill need attension at the same sort of 'weekly' intervals though, and services when they come up are often more involved and often beyond owner DIY competence. They still don't have that car like fill and forget useability; whilst service spares like tyres, brake pads & Chain & Sprokets, and in commuter service, worse city commuting putting extra stress on them, can be a pretty frequent and pretty hefty kick up the wallet; tyres particularly coming up every 4ooo miles or so and brake pads & C&S coming up every two or three tyre changes. Tyres costing in the order of £250 a pair, and liklihood youll need three or four maybe even five pairs a year... can rather dent a lot of 'presumed' ecconomic benefits of a bike! But, it's still added hassle getting them fitted.

Economics of a bike for daily commuting are very circumstance dependent; but the attractive MPG figures, particularly of smaller bikes, don't truly reflect what they are likely to cost 'all in'. and as a particularly wide generalisation, while a 125 is likely to be a great way to beat bus-fares, costs of even a pretty utilitarian 500 'commuter twin' are starting to shrink the margins, and costs of super-eco mobiles with 4-wheels are getting 'close' to being cheaper in the all in sums. And certainly by the time you are looking at newer, more expensive, more sophisticated and higher performance big bikes 600 and up, they can and often are more expensive to run, 'all in' mile for mile than 'cheap' cars.

Which is another matter; start up costs, getting trained, getting a licence, getting some riding gear, some security measures, etc, aren't all 'one off' costs, and particularly in heavier, more frequent, all weather, daily commuter use, hat gloves helmet's will need replacing on a regular basis, probably every year, blunting any economic advantage you might find, that will likely take an awful lot longer to show any 'return' than you expect, if ever, as new pursuit enthusiasm finds ever more 'stuff' you never even knew about you now need or want to support it!
Jordan86 wrote:
So the question is do you think 125cc will do the job and is going to be safe with slow bike on A2...is going to be too much miles everyday?
Thank you very much

SO!starting at the top... you aren't a biker yet.... AND in the analysis there's an AWFUL lot more to contemplate than what size of bike would do the job you have in mind of getting to work every day.

Here and now, without the first clue whether you will even LIKE riding a bike, or be able to cope with daily commuter 'hassle' in the misery of every weather, rain or shine, light or dark; it's rather an accademic question....

And I will be frank; the idea of a 35mile two way commute every day, in city traffic on a bike, in all weathers, is NOT something I would have ANY enthusiasm for what so ever.

I have in younger days, commuted 50 each way a day on a 125, accross Brum; that then was not exactly 'fun'. A 15mile each way 'cross country' hike, with only 5 or so city miles in Brum in later years was tolerable enough, and I would more often take the bike than the car, even though it cost more! But these days? If I had to and had the choice? I'd get up earlier and take the car... I enjoy riding too much to make it a 'chore' I 'have' to do rather than I 'want' to do!

BUT, you aren't even on the starting blocks; first step is to do a course; CBT at the very minimum, to validate provisional entitlement and find out of you can, and do like riding a motorbike.

After that, you have to learn to ride; and you could go it alone on your own 125, and that has some merit, but I strongly DON'T advocate tackling that city commute on L's! so if you want to use a 125 as a confidence buildiung excersise, do it JUST as that, for fun, and get one to ride for fun outside rush hour on quieter roads, until you HAVE some experience and confidence, and pre3ferably a few lessons, and preferably a full licence.

OR, book a DAS course; go get the full starter training and a licence for it. Still wont give you that much more experience to trry tackling teh city commuter grind, but should boost confidence, and likely on bigger bikes..... so get one, and AGAIN, dont dive in the deep; get some out of hours leisure riding under your belt to get your early learning, before you consider commuting.

By then, one way or the other you should be a lot more clued up whats what and what it all costs and what its good for or bad at; and what you OWN tolerance levels are like, and what compromises you are or aren't prepared to make, to decide what best suits; be that a 125, or bigger bike, a scooter or a geared motorbike; and whether one can earn its keep as a commuter, or you just want to keep it for leisure rides out of hours.

Say it time and time and again; when it comes to getting into bikes..... an actual motorbike is actually the very last thing you need stick on the list, not the first.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

myvision
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 18:20 - 24 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you get a PCX to do it on get a bigger screen than the standard one.

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:37 - 24 Oct 2016    Post subject: Re: 125cc for long distance(Daily) Reply with quote

Jordan86 wrote:

Doing that on a 125 would be a pain.
You don't mention your age, but if you can do your DAS then it may be wise for you to consider that instead, but not jump straight into commuting.
Then ride something a bit bigger/more comfortable/easier/safer after a few months of learning on the local roads.
Even if you don't want a 'big bike' a big scooter (250-400) would probably be a decent tool for that type of commute, whereas a 125 probably isn't.

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:20 - 24 Oct 2016    Post subject: Re: 125cc for long distance(Daily) Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:

Which is another matter; start up costs, getting trained, getting a licence, getting some riding gear, some security measures, etc, aren't all 'one off' costs, and particularly in heavier, more frequent, all weather, daily commuter use, hat gloves helmet's will need replacing on a regular basis, probably every year, blunting any economic advantage you might find, that will likely take an awful lot longer to show any 'return' than you expect, if ever, as new pursuit enthusiasm finds ever more 'stuff' you never even knew about you now need or want to support it!

For what it's worth, I was in a similar position (although I commute to Greenford, not central London). I was cycling in as often as possible (up to three times a week), as the 40 miles each way - 35 on the pushbike as I took a slightly different route - was often faster cycling that driving.

I reckon it took two years before I broke even financially on the bike, taking everything into account (kit, get licensed up, the bike, fuel & maintenance compared to the car - albeit my car only does about 25mpg in traffic). However, it saves me between 1-3 hours a day and is pretty consistent regardless of traffic - which makes a big difference to me. I love my job, but would have had to change it if it wasn't for the bike.

Jordan86
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:30 - 24 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone that share his opinion...I'm 30 years old...
I start thinking to do the full driving licence and buy 250cc...if I manage to travel to London fine...if not...will be the train :)and the bike will be for the weekends:)

faffergotgunz
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 19:39 - 24 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smashing replies here. More than enough to think about.

Playing devil's advocate though, if you're up for the challenge, sometimes there's nothing to it but to do it! Wink

Be aware of the risks though and deal with them maturely.

Quote Me Happy

PostPosted: 19:47 - 24 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I commute to London every day, doing a similar mileage and do it on a 1400 with a shaft drive. No way would I consider doing it on a 125 but I suppose a 125 is better than the train.

Reg
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:09 - 24 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to do 40 miles each way on my CBF125 for a year, although mainly A roads rather than central London. It used to take it out of me and now having a bigger bike I wonder how I coped for that year!

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:21 - 24 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jordan86 wrote:
I start thinking to do the full driving licence and buy 250cc

Rolling Eyes Very Happy

6r4h4m
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 23:12 - 24 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know exactly where you work, how far you live from station, or what the trains your way are like, so I don't know if this idea would work for you… The way I used to tackle long commutes from Home Counties to work in London was a push bike at each end. Ride to station, lock up bike, get train, unlock bike at King's Cross, ride along canal most of the way to work.

Push bike is usually the fastest method for journeys in London. There's a bit of faff to consider with bike locking / unlocking, and the year I commuted that way was ridiculously wet so I was sopping wet through to my smalls most days. (Pro tip: spare socks and pants in your desk.) Still, when it wasn't stair rods it was actually really lovely.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 05:47 - 25 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

When I passed my CBT I used to commute 80 miles a day on my Chituma, never had a problem. However, once I took my test, I moved up to a 250, just because it was better on the motorway. THen, I decided I wanted a bigger bike, and, well, the rest is history.

But 70 miles a day on a 125, is eminently doable

onlyJaz
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 10:02 - 25 Oct 2016    Post subject: Re: 125cc for long distance(Daily) Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:

My commute will be 12-14miles each way, obviously I'm not ready to tackle it just yet, but this topic has got me a little depressed Brick Wall I initially wanted to ride to work to avoid trains, save time, save money, increase convenience.

Avoid trains - yes fine, I won't be dealing with the ridiculous trains at rush hour
Save time - Will probably be a 45-50min journey than 70min
Save money - Calculating what I've spent on everything and what is to come, I will probably lose money over the 2 years compared to a rail ticket Doh! as a rail ticket is roughly £1500 per year
Increase convenience - by the sound of above, it's not that convenient? Having to deal with weather etc..

Well these are my current thoughts at the moment, don't know what to make of it lol but then again I haven't actually been out much yet to experience it so it could just be fear. What is everyone's opinion?

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:37 - 25 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
When I passed my CBT I used to commute 80 miles a day on my Chituma

You don't mention what your route consisted of.
Yes it's "do'able" but a real pain especially as most of the OPs journey would be heavy traffic before hitting extremely heavy traffic.
Maybe yours was a bit more open roads...

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:42 - 25 Oct 2016    Post subject: Re: 125cc for long distance(Daily) Reply with quote

only125 wrote:
My commute will be 12-14miles each way, obviously I'm not ready to tackle it just yet, but this topic has got me a little depressed Brick Wall I initially wanted to ride to work to avoid trains, save time, save money, increase convenience.

If your main target is to save money then it may not be such a great idea for you.
If you want to enjoy a motorbike outside of commuting then by using one to commute as well you'll save time etc and eventually save money, but that's as a side-effect.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:55 - 25 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpineandy wrote:

You don't mention what your route consisted of.
Yes it's "do'able" but a real pain especially as most of the OPs journey would be heavy traffic before hitting extremely heavy traffic.
Maybe yours was a bit more open roads...

A bugger of a journey, from Wolverhampton to Solihull, via the A34 through the centre of Birmingham. A34 = heavy traffic, Birmingham City Centre = heavy traffic, Solihull = heavy traffic, and this was before they allowed motorbikes in some of the bus lanes.

I did occasionally route via the A38/A5 past Cannock, but again, traffic can get heavy there, and it's single lane for most of the run as well. On the plus side, that route, if I left work late on a Tuesday, meant I could stop off at Bessets Pole ..

Once I passed my test, it was M54/M6/M42 , that not so good on a 125, hence the fairly quick move upto a 250 at the time ..

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:59 - 25 Oct 2016    Post subject: Re: 125cc for long distance(Daily) Reply with quote

only125 wrote:
this topic has got me a little depressed

If Mike had his way, nobody would be allowed on the roads without 20 years of training, seven tests, and then they might be allowed out unsupervised for 10 minutes on a Sunday morning, pending further assessment.

Just do what you want to do. It'll come right.

onlyJaz
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 11:42 - 25 Oct 2016    Post subject: Re: 125cc for long distance(Daily) Reply with quote

Alpineandy wrote:

If your main target is to save money then it may not be such a great idea for you.
If you want to enjoy a motorbike outside of commuting then by using one to commute as well you'll save time etc and eventually save money, but that's as a side-effect.

You're right, I think once I start using it more often and see myself jumping to the front of traffic queues (when I'm confident enough to), then I'll appreciate the time saving and the fuel saving as opposed to sitting in traffic on a Saturday with my dirty diesel Praying
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 178 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3