Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

BSA, might be back

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:08 - 26 Oct 2016    Post subject: BSA, might be back Reply with quote

Indian company Mahindra just bought BSA for £3.4m, now being 100% share holder. Mahindra is known for their Moto3 efforts, so they say. Not much info yet, but I'm gonna keep you posted as time goes. So far, we can only specualte. I'd say the new BSA will be a direct competitor to Royal Enflied's motorcycles, but who knows. They might also do the same thing the TVS did with their cooperation with BMW (the G310 motorcycle).

Interesting bit of info, (google) Mahindra has got the money to push onto the market whatever they feel like. As recently, they bought 51% of shares in the Peugeot motorcycles. Let's hope the new BSA won't be a re-branded Peugeot scooter.

https://vehicleartz.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/b/s/bsa-original-decal_2.jpg

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:38 - 26 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, they'll be making "Jawas" as well.

They've certainly got the clout to make a go of it, and could hardly do a worse job than Royal Enfield. Heck, it sounds like they could clone whatever Chinese bike is being sold as the "Mash" 400 and do OK with it.

Mind you, they've been promising to launch their bikes in Europe and the UK for years but so far we've only seen their ecomobile clowncar.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:47 - 26 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

So long as they don't spoil what I consider to be a bit of local and interesting history of past British manufacturing. There's a surviving BSA locally, see what's in store.

https://i2.birminghammail.co.uk/incoming/article258424.ece/ALTERNATES/s615b/PM2516121@GY121012DAYS-29.jpg

nitrosurf
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 12:09 - 26 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

They used to make worthy jeep-style vehicles. By worthy I mean basic and spartan but good off-road.

I bet they sling the BSA moniker on a bloody god awful 'retro' 125.

Let's hope I'm wrong and they do something interesting.

🏍

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:14 - 26 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

nitrosurf wrote:

🏍

This ^+1...... just like the `new` AJS Crying or Very sad

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:24 - 26 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Hmm, they'll be making "Jawas" as well.

I have read about a new Jawa factory in India, quite a while ago, but I never thought the Mahindra company was behind it. Back then, they were talking about Jawa 350's (twin cylinder two stroke, not suitable for the EU market). They sure have the money and determination.
The only thing they were missing was a cool brand-name, that would sell their products in Europe/world. I do believe that BSA, in the UK, still has the sound of a traditional British motorcycle manufacturer. On the rest of the continent, I'm not quite sure. But they could sell the new Indian motorcycle, as: ''The classic British engineering and ingenuity, only the BSA'' kind of message. That, with a interesting (low) price tag, could atract people.

The Royal Enfield never really got popular here (CZE), but there are people that got one.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:40 - 26 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:
nitrosurf wrote:

🏍

or Francis Barnett...
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:40 - 26 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonder if the Fury designs are included in the deal?

With current licencing rules, there could well be a niche for a characterful 350cc twin motorcycle in the 35bhp ballpark.

Would probably be ideal for the Indian market too.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:10 - 26 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:

Oh dear Puke

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:11 - 26 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or they could be using it to launch an electric bike ; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahindra_REVA

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:30 - 26 Oct 2016    Post subject: Re: BSA, might be back Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
Mahindra is known for their Moto3 efforts, so they say.

Here's one of their efforts from 2014:-

https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/2014-mahindra-mgp30-exposed-1.jpg

They have 14 bikes/riders in the current Moto3 paddock, plenty of title contenders in the pack!

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:46 - 26 Oct 2016    Post subject: Re: BSA, might be back Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
Indian company Mahindra just bought BSA for £3.4m, now being 100% share holder.

£3.4m Shocked

Is it worth it marketing wise to pay that for a defunct brand name, or does it include all rights to past designs?

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:05 - 26 Oct 2016    Post subject: Re: BSA, might be back Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
RhynoCZ wrote:
Indian company Mahindra just bought BSA for £3.4m, now being 100% share holder.

£3.4m Shocked

Is it worth it marketing wise to pay that for a defunct brand name, or does it include all rights to past designs?

The internet wrote:
It’s worth noting ..., BSA turned over just £28,233 in 2015/16.

Source: https://www.motofire.com/2016/10/news/indian-firm-mahindra-has-bought-bsa-motorcycles/

jjdugen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:39 - 26 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like this?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:27 - 26 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

jjdugen wrote:
Like this?

The question certainly is, is it going to be a retro replica (can't see it for the EU nor Northern America market due to EURO IV and the 'merican equivalent) or a modern generic motorcycle, or even something exotic.
IF they're gonna do something modern, then what engine are they going to use? Their own or are they gonna just buy an Engine in Europe or Japan?

I predict a A2 friendly, modern-ish motorcycle, in sports and commuter version, with a KTM, BMW, or Honda engine. Maybe even a road legal Moto3 ''replica''? Given the racing background, they have. Thinking

Snod Blatter
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 20:38 - 26 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:

I saw one of those at Coventry Motofest earlier this year, presumed some mental case had repainted a Mash 400!

Anyway, welcome back BSA. Can you make something suitable for Britain with thick paint, good economy, drum brakes and twin shocks please? It seems to be totally beyond what Triumph can manage Praying

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:01 - 26 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bout time we saw the Bantam back on the roads

here's yer "thick paint, good economy, drum brakes and twin shocks"

https://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/Classic/bsa%20bantam%2002.jpg

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:32 - 26 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
The question certainly is, is it going to be a retro replica (can't see it for the EU nor Northern America market due to EURO IV and the 'merican equivalent) or a modern generic motorcycle, or even something exotic.

How does HD meet the 'merican' equivalent?

Snod Blatter
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 22:36 - 26 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:
here's yer "thick paint, good economy, drum brakes and twin shocks"

With gaiters on the forks, bliss! Shame the chain isn't enclosed, mind.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:00 - 26 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpineandy wrote:
RhynoCZ wrote:

How does HD meet the 'merican' equivalent?

Very, very, very detuned/underpowered engines? Or does it have it something to do with HD being a local company? Afterall, Lotus and Caterham, and others I do believe, had it way easier with their production cars, talking about the exhaust gases emissons and safety regulations.

wodge
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 23:16 - 26 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can knock the Indian manufactures like Enfield and Mahindra but at least they have a large domestic customer base who are enthusiastic for their products.
The retro look isnt just cool there its a way of life!
Admittedly a slower way of life. Smile I seem to remember the Mahindra Jeep was by far the slowest car sold in the UK at the time.. 2CV6's were faster...

Jesus... Just seen that Francis Barnett web site, they are Sinnis bike painted green FFS..
Expecting 2018 Scott flying Squirrels next!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 06:56 - 27 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

wodge wrote:
Just seen that Francis Barnett web site, they are Sinnis bike painted green FFS.

I.e. Jinan Qingqis. It's just rebranding all the way down.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:03 - 27 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:

To be fair, I really like the look of the Cadwell, if only they'd make, sorry, source, a larger displacement version ...

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:32 - 27 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
Or does [avoiding emissions bollocks] have it something to do with HD being a local company?

The dickless pencil-necks at the EPA have just slapped them with a $12m fine for selling "defeat devices", i.e. tuning chips.

Apparently they thought that 340,000 owners were "racing" their bikes offroad. Laughing

When Royal Enfield launched their new Himalayan this year, it didn't even meet the New Delhi emissions standards.

I have no idea if Mahindra are lagging at the cow's tail as well, but I wouldn't bet against it.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:56 - 27 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

RE must be doing something with the Himalayan, as, apparently, they are to start selling them over here next year Confused
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 181 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2