Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Alternative housing solutions

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:59 - 04 Nov 2016    Post subject: Alternative housing solutions Reply with quote

Anyone got any? Smile Been mulling over a few:

A holiday park home - not 100% on this one (can you live in them?), but I saw an episode of homes under the hammer where they had former park homes that had a 50 week occupancy. Shortest I could find is 11 months: https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-57562598.html (which BCF'er is that living below?).

Buying some land and putting up some sort of alternative (so cheap) structure. I imagine this would be a planning nightmare, and land's pretty expensive. Converting shipping containers, Walter Segal self-build construction, that sort of thing.

Only other options are to really slum it, buying a house in Salford or somewhere equally shit, or living on a canal boat which doesn't appeal at all.
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Fisty
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:10 - 04 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Invent half arsed motorcycle related product.
Crowdfund
????????
Buy House
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:13 - 04 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can buy some really nice wooden houses (self build) with/without garage etc for £5-£40k depending on requirements.

I think they get round many planning laws by various means, but you'd need to look into it of course.

eg

https://www.cabinsuk.co.uk/planningpermission.html

Rob Fzs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:20 - 04 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

More hassle than it's worth with this building on land crap, electric supply will be a fortune, as will water, then you have asshole neighbors blocking every possible plan you put in and so on
'00 Aprilia RS50 > '92 Honda CG > '99 Yamaha Fazer > '91 Yamaha RXS > '79 Suzuki X5 > 01' Honda Cg > 07' Honda Cg > 82' Kawasaki Z200 > suzuki gsxr 400 gk73a > honda vfr 400 NC30> Yamaha RD350 YPVS F2 > Kawasaki ZZR 600 D1 > Yamaha TZR 250 2MA >Suzuki TL1000R > Yamaha TDR250 > Honda 929 blade > Suzuki SV1000 > Honda H100
Mod 2 Passed 09/06/2011

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:31 - 04 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy a canal boat, it's the 'in' thing at the moment. Everyone and their cat wants to live on the cut.

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:29 - 04 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was an old couple in the papers a few years ago who lived in a Travel Lodge because it was cheaper then renting a place. Very cheap rates as they were long term stayers, no utility bills or council tax, and when they wanted a holiday they just moved to a different one for a few weeks.

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:51 - 04 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fisty wrote:
Crowdfund
????????
Buy House

Or....

Join forum.
Lie all the fucking time
Pretend to have R6
Ask for favours and offer to pay 5ponds.
Lie some more.

Er... i forgot where i was going with this.

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:08 - 04 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaNsA wrote:
Fisty wrote:
Crowdfund
????????
Buy House

Or....

Join forum.
Lie all the fucking time
Pretend to have R6
Ask for favours and offer to pay 5ponds.
Lie some more.

Live VERY Northish

Er... i forgot where i was going with this.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:12 - 04 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy a train ticket to France. live in a squat. claim asylum to England. Jump on the back of a lorry to England. tell them you are a child asylum seeker with 8 kids and want to do a masters degree in some crap wishy washy subject, get free house and loads of benefits. Job done.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:18 - 04 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

yen_powell wrote:
There was an old couple in the papers a few years ago who lived in a Travel Lodge because it was cheaper then renting a place. Very cheap rates as they were long term stayers, no utility bills or council tax, and when they wanted a holiday they just moved to a different one for a few weeks.

That's a bit Alan Partridge but it's a new idea Thumbs Up

smegballs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:28 - 04 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob Fzs wrote:
More hassle than it's worth with this building on land crap, electric supply will be a fortune, as will water, then you have asshole neighbors blocking every possible plan you put in and so on

My off-grid system will do everything bar welding and us less than 1500, ofc it isn't as convenient as mains power and you do need to do stuff when there is sun, like run the washing machine on a sunny day etc.

Water comes from borehole, the whole filtration UV setup was about 700 quid, with the impeller another 500. Borehole was sunk in the 80s by my dad so unsure of price. South west water wanted 1600/year by comparison tho so homegrown water could pay-off quite quickly.

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:15 - 05 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
yen_powell wrote:

That's a bit Alan Partridge but it's a new idea Thumbs Up

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-480999/The-couple-stopped-Travelodge--stayed-22-years.html

Rob Fzs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:22 - 05 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

smegballs wrote:
Rob Fzs wrote:

My off-grid system will do everything bar welding and us less than 1500, ofc it isn't as convenient as mains power and you do need to do stuff when there is sun, like run the washing machine on a sunny day etc.

Water comes from borehole, the whole filtration UV setup was about 700 quid, with the impeller another 500. Borehole was sunk in the 80s by my dad so unsure of price. South west water wanted 1600/year by comparison tho so homegrown water could pay-off quite quickly.

Borehole usually starts at about 10k, if the waters right
'00 Aprilia RS50 > '92 Honda CG > '99 Yamaha Fazer > '91 Yamaha RXS > '79 Suzuki X5 > 01' Honda Cg > 07' Honda Cg > 82' Kawasaki Z200 > suzuki gsxr 400 gk73a > honda vfr 400 NC30> Yamaha RD350 YPVS F2 > Kawasaki ZZR 600 D1 > Yamaha TZR 250 2MA >Suzuki TL1000R > Yamaha TDR250 > Honda 929 blade > Suzuki SV1000 > Honda H100
Mod 2 Passed 09/06/2011

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:01 - 05 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're going full Alternative, have you thought about tapping the ASS?

https://www.squatter.org.uk/for-new-squatters/squatting-made-less-simple/

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:52 - 05 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do what I did, buy a big touring caravan and find somewhere that lets you pitch it permanently.

I pay a weekly rent that's less than half what I was paying in London and includes all my utilities. plus I get to live in the countryside, but still only 45 minutes (less on the bike) from where I work.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:55 - 05 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bloke at work lives in a holiday home*, just takes a 2 week holiday somewhere sunny every year in January.

* Shame it's Billing Aquadrome, which smells of shit most of the time.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 13:38 - 05 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given my current circumstance, I've looked elsewhere and found that a holiday park home is a fucking sound idea.

I'd need to be off site for 4 weeks however at the one I'm looking at, fine, 2 weeks in summer, 2 weeks in winter... both somewhere hot Laughing

You get use of facilities, basic but included... who can say no to arcades and swimming pools. I'd be wrecking Tekken and Time Crisis every weekend. Laughing

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:43 - 05 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
Given my current circumstance, I've looked elsewhere and found that a holiday park home is a fucking sound idea.

I'd need to be off site for 4 weeks however at the one I'm looking at, fine, 2 weeks in summer, 2 weeks in winter... both somewhere hot Laughing

You get use of facilities, basic but included... who can say no to arcades and swimming pools. I'd be wrecking Tekken and Time Crisis every weekend. Laughing

Where are you looking Paddy?

That sounds very similar to where I am, but be careful about your holiday plans, a lot of sites effectively close for a month (it's February here) so that's when you take your time out.

I think it also has to be continuous time, not a week here and there.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:41 - 05 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure about the holiday home idea in an active park. In the first one I linked to I just spotted ground rent and the annual camp fee. This one: https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-62153477.html all year occupancy but £3850 a year in ground rent/service charge.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 14:50 - 05 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holiday park homes are trailer park homes so your neighbours will be Cletus and Brandine Spuckler?
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:55 - 05 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
I'm not sure about the holiday home idea in an active park. In the first one I linked to I just spotted ground rent and the annual camp fee. This one: https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-62153477.html all year occupancy but £3850 a year in ground rent/service charge.

You'll also find it very difficult, if not impossible, to get a mortgage on that type of property, so you either have to have the cash up front, or be able to service a short term personal loan.

As well as that, a lot of sites ask for your annual fees to be paid in one go, in advance, although in the example you just posted, that amounts to saving £320 every month, which is bugger all really, compared to what you might have to pay to rent a similar property.

Also, think about location - it's no good having a cheap place to live if you have to spend fortunes on commuting and I wouldn't pick somewhere like Lowestoft if you want a choice of local employment.

The other thing to consider is that holiday homes and caravans aren't generally recognised as legitimate residential addresses, so you will need one of those for things like V5s, driving licences, passports, credit cards, bank accounts and anything else 'official'.

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:01 - 05 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over the years I've known quite a few people who've researched the possibility of going 'off-grid' (not just power, everything) but it's really difficult to do in the South East due to the population density.
If you want a plot of land then they usually cost a fortune (which makes the option unviable) or they're in the middle of nowhere which makes commuting a nightmare.

So they've usually ended up with either a houseboat or a mobile-home.
I had a friend that rented a houseboat around West Drayton for a couple of years (early 90s). It was a floating box on the outside and a tiny but warm comfortable box on the inside. He always had something to moan about like insects in the summer, a slight pong in late summer/early autumn if the river was low, the way the wind whistled down the tow-path in the winter etc, but overall he really enjoyed it. The one real negative as far as I could see was that he had to park his car 200+ yards away in a car park and carry everything down steps which would prevent a bike getting to the 'boat'. Although I'm sure many places don't have that problem.
Like me back then, he did some light maintenance to his car which involved him lugging his full tool-kit from the boat to the car every time he wanted to fiddle with anything. When he finally settled down in a house with his dragon... I mean girlfriend, the thing he was most pleased about was having a garage and shed..

A few people have tried Mobile-Homes (usually whilst renting out their house trying to reduce the mortgage). Again, finding a decent location at a decent price is a problem but possible. It's probably a better idea as you can park the bike next to it, but looking out your window every morning at a row of mobile homes and some of the complete non-entities that live in them (ONLY 'Some', not 'All') would be quite depressing.

I think you'd notice the seasonal changes more than when living in a house, but if you commute by bike then you'll already notice it anyway...

I don't think I could live in either whilst remaining in the UK. I would never buy a House or Flat here without a garage.

I should add that a few people have moved to North East Anglia, West Midlands and Wales to get 'off-grid', with an outer London bedsit and commuted every Monday morning & Friday evening....

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:47 - 05 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:

You'll also find it very difficult, if not impossible, to get a mortgage on that type of property, so you either have to have the cash up front, or be able to service a short term personal loan.

As well as that, a lot of sites ask for your annual fees to be paid in one go, in advance, although in the example you just posted, that amounts to saving £320 every month, which is bugger all really, compared to what you might have to pay to rent a similar property.

Also, think about location - it's no good having a cheap place to live if you have to spend fortunes on commuting and I wouldn't pick somewhere like Lowestoft if you want a choice of local employment.

The other thing to consider is that holiday homes and caravans aren't generally recognised as legitimate residential addresses, so you will need one of those for things like V5s, driving licences, passports, credit cards, bank accounts and anything else 'official'.

I'm in park home territory, mortgage wise I'd struggle to get a house/flat over 100k...ish, which gets you f' all in the south east. The Lowestoft one was just an example of year round occupancy (first I've found actually), although you're right you can't have it as your registered address.

3k on ground rent sounds like a fortune to me, they're charging actual rent (when you've spent 30k+ on the place). When you see ground rents for sale they're normally generating hundreds a year. Sounds like a bit of a con.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 166 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3