BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Alternative housing solutions

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:19 - 05 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're actually prepared to travel from Lowestoft then do a search 5 miles from Jaywick.
Plenty of places in your price range (but only a few of them I'd consider living in (it's not far from me!)). Laughing

One of the places a friend nearly bought was High Halstow way. It was a lovely field with lots of space, but they dropped out when they found it was a flood plain...

So they then found a field near Hawkhurst and couldn't believe they could afford it in such a nice area.... Until they found that it flooded as well Shocked

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:45 - 05 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaywick looks lovely Laughing
https://www.constructionphotography.com/ImageThumbs/A026-01895/3/A026-01895_Jaywick_Essex.jpg
It shows just how f**ked the housing market is, where poorly built properties in one of the most deprived parts of the country start at 50k.

Snod Blatter
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 17:16 - 05 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cave house in Spain? They also exist in the south of France if you want to live somewhere with jobs.

On the topic of park homes I have seen this not far from me, are you saying I would have to pay rent for the plot as well? And not be able to actually officially live there? The price already looks massive for an overgrown shed Rolling Eyes

hmmmnz
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:55 - 05 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive always been keen on buying some wood land,
then plopping a container on it,
for obvious reasons permanent structures aren't allowed.

or even a tiny house on a trailer.

off grid with panels, and rain collection,
and a composting toilet,

woodland is cheap,
fuck the council and their tax.

smegballs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:05 - 05 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually worked out that with my job: short bursts of very high hours I could probably get a house in spain/portugal/czech etc and just fly back to uk to work few weeks now and again.

Working an 84-hour week effectively means you get two weeks work in one week of time. So I if worked 3 weeks it would keep me going for a few months, especially if I was getting UK wages but living with cheap euro housing/living costs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:11 - 06 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

smegballs wrote:
if I was getting UK wages but living with cheap euro housing/living costs.

You're assuming the Brexit doesn't fuck up the Rate of Exchange further and UK wages remain decent. Maybe, Maybe not... Confused

And that Air Tickets / Airport tax etc don't triple in price (to stop you spending your £ in johnny foreigners country) Laughing

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:00 - 06 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

3k on ground rent sounds like a fortune to me, they're charging actual rent (when you've spent 30k+ on the place). When you see ground rents for sale they're normally generating hundreds a year. Sounds like a bit of a con.

When you break that 3K down it's pretty good for what you get.

Remember they have to buy the land, pay the council tax on it, service the land (cut grass etc)

One other thing to remember about some of these parks, is that they have a limit on the age of the vans. So you might get a cheap van, but then find you have got to move it after a year or two...
which I would imagine is not cheap. As well as finding a new location.

J4mes
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:49 - 06 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of blokes at work live on parks and they have a 10 year age limit on their vans - so at 10 years old, it has to be removed, sold and a new one bought and sited.

Have you seen how much those fucking things cost? Absolute poverty ones start at £15K, right up to £80K!

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:47 - 06 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

iooi wrote:

When you break that 3K down it's pretty good for what you get.

Remember they have to buy the land, pay the council tax on it, service the land (cut grass etc)

One other thing to remember about some of these parks, is that they have a limit on the age of the vans. So you might get a cheap van, but then find you have got to move it after a year or two...
which I would imagine is not cheap. As well as finding a new location.

Break it down for me Smile (I genuinely want to know). Another example of ground rent(s) - £400 per annum. That 3k was in addition to the £850 a year service charge. It's not my area of expertise but I don't understand why it's so much.

I wasn't thinking of going full on pikey and living in a caravan/mobile home, although I often see a lorry that has a cabin over the bit where you attach the trailer (if that makes sense). Can't find a picture but it looked pretty neat.

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:10 - 06 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

Break it down for me Smile (I genuinely want to know). .

Divide by 12 for monthly cost
Divide by 52 for weekly cost

I have no idea how much they had to pay for the land cost or what they have to pay re the costs of the land in terms of business rates for it.

Just google holiday parks for sale....
For something like you were looking at you are talking approx £1 Million upwards to just buy. Never mind the ongoing costs.

look at this Looking at 3 years profit just to cover the purchase price, never mind other costs to keep it going.

Last edited by iooi on 16:58 - 06 Nov 2016; edited 1 time in total

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:29 - 06 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
I genuinely want to know.

I wasn't thinking of going full on pikey and living in a caravan/mobile home, although I often see a lorry that has a cabin over the bit where you attach the trailer (if that makes sense). Can't find a picture but it looked pretty neat.

As iooi has pointed out, you are paying for all sorts of things, from land costs to site maintenence.

Costs will vary from site to site, the better the facilities, the more you pay.

I pay £140 a week to pitch my van, that's fully residential, 12 months a year. Included in that rent is all electric, water and TV (either standard, or satellite if you provide the box). I pay no council tax, TV licence, or any other extras, which makes budgeting very easy.

The site is secure (electronic gate and CCTV) and the facilities include a heated swimming pool, fully licensed clubhouse that serves food and has a variety of free, year round entertainment, games room, mini market, laundry, showers, toilet block and waste dumps.

There are staff on site 24/7 and the place is constantly being maintained and improved.

All of these things cost - I was talking to my site owner last week and he reckoned his electricity bill was £80K!

Oh and forget about all that pikey nonsense, there's nothing like that where I am, for most it's a lifestyle choice that gives them more disposable income and a much more relaxed and better quality existence.

You've only got to glance around and do a quick tot up of the values of the cars and caravans here to realise, there ain't nothing pikey about holiday parks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:15 - 06 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:

As iooi has pointed out, you are paying for all sorts of things, from land costs to site maintenence.

I'd still like to see a breakdown of those costs:
Annual Ground Rent: £3,000 plus VAT with effect from January 2017
Annual Service Charge: £850 plus VAT with effect from January 2018 (includes grass cutting, insurance, water, use of leisure facilities).

The property can achieve a rent in the region of £300 - £700 per week
So after putting 35k+ down you're still basically renting the place, that's what doesn't make (financial) sense to me.

Quote:
I pay £140 a week to pitch my van, that's fully residential, 12 months a year. Included in that rent is all electric, water and TV (either standard, or satellite if you provide the box). I pay no council tax, TV licence, or any other extras, which makes budgeting very easy.

That's bedsit/shared house in London (I know Neutral) or a flat outside London money.

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:52 - 06 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

I'd still like to see a breakdown of those costs:
Annual Ground Rent: £3,000 plus VAT with effect from January 2017
Annual Service Charge: £850 plus VAT with effect from January 2018 (includes grass cutting, insurance, water, use of leisure facilities).

The property can achieve a rent in the region of £300 - £700 per week
So after putting 35k+ down you're still basically renting the place, that's what doesn't make (financial) sense to me.

For a proper breakdown, you would need to contact the site. But would guess at things like waste disposal, drainage, and poss maintenance of gas and electric supplies.

But remember you are still buying the Van. And can move it to another site or your own land if you want.
Some will charge more, some less. If you buy your own bit of land.... You will understand why they charge.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 19:23 - 06 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure that they'd be willing to give you a break down of their costs as it's none of your business. All you need to know is how much and what you'll be getting for your money.

How to live incredibly cheaply: https://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/i-lived-like-a-king-for-a-month-in-venezuela-on-100-euros-876?utm_source=vicefbuk
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:52 - 06 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:

To be fair most pikies have fancy cars and caravans too in my neck of the woods. The only people I know who live full time (apart from the 2 weeks a year), are all from a family, not too far from pikey status.

They just do groundwork instead of tarmac.

It is true that pikeys tend to have decent cars (or Transits) and caravans, but they also fit certain other stereotypes and most quality sites won't let them anywhere near.

My site owner takes it to the extreme of not encouraging a particular make of caravan, as they are known to be a favourite amongst the traveller community and he thinks it would lower the tone of the place.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:07 - 07 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

iooi wrote:

For a proper breakdown, you would need to contact the site. But would guess at things like waste disposal, drainage, and poss maintenance of gas and electric supplies.

But remember you are still buying the Van. And can move it to another site or your own land if you want.
Some will charge more, some less. If you buy your own bit of land.... You will understand why they charge.

I think we're getting our wires crossed a bit. Those amounts were for a holiday home, that's what seems a bit Eh?, spending 35k on one then paying a further £80p/w.

With a pitch you might be paying more (p/w not in total) but you're not buying a cheaply built holiday home, as you say you can naff off when you want and not have to worry about selling up.

Ste wrote:

I've actually considered that Smile A work colleague who's basically a peasant here (never has any money) goes to Goa and lives really well for not a lot. What puts me off actually doing it is the practical stuff, running out of money, or in places like Venezuela the chances of getting robbed/murdered/bum raped because you're a (relatively) rich tourist.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 12:11 - 08 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, it was a good 20 years ago, but we stayed at a 'B&B' on Lake Malawi.
£1.50 a night. Evening meal was 15p.

Often wondered about taking (a good period of time) out and going and staying somewhere like that.

However, not sure if you've got even a chance of an internet connection there - lighting was included in the board price courtesy of a candle and water was heated in a black container outside.

smegballs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:03 - 10 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
or in places like Venezuela the chances of getting robbed/murdered/bum raped because you're a (relatively) rich tourist.

I had a guy on my uni course from Venezuela.....

He said never go there, the level of violence is ridiculous: people being burned alive on the street by gangs, plus all the murder, rape and kidnapping etc you could care for.

Motorhate
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 12:40 - 10 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

smegballs wrote:
He said never go there, the level of violence is ridiculous: people being burned alive on the street by gangs, plus all the murder, rape and kidnapping etc you could care for.

Crikey. Sounds like Tottenham.

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:55 - 10 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

smegballs wrote:
I had a guy on my uni course from Venezuela.....

Roel, the dutch guy who seems to be riding round the world in as many directions as possible, really liked Venezuela;
https://advrider.com/index.php?threads/my-ticket-to-ride-the-world-destination-unknown.983889/

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:34 - 27 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

*bump* Sarah Beeny (Wub) is on the same ting: https://www.channel4.com/programmes/how-to-live-mortgage-free-with-sarah-beeny

Not watched the second episode yet, the first one mainly focused on a woman spending 33k buying/converting a dutch barge. Seems for ~house deposit money you do have to leave dry land Neutral The other examples were interesting but approaching the 100k mark (so the price of an actual house*).

*not in the south east obviously**

**or south of Birmingham actually

Fisty
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:10 - 27 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
dutch barge

Is that like a Dutch Oven? Or a Cleveland Steamer?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:18 - 27 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmmnz wrote:
ive always been keen on buying some wood land,
then plopping a container on it,
for obvious reasons permanent structures aren't allowed.

or even a tiny house on a trailer.

off grid with panels, and rain collection,
and a composting toilet,

woodland is cheap,
fuck the council and their tax.

This guy bought woodland, used wood from land to build a house.
https://ben-law.co.uk/portfolio/the-woodland-house/

IIRC, the house must be demolished if he sells the land.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:34 - 27 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw some woodland for sale (in Surrey) with permission for a dwelling and a long lease. Was ~25k IIRC, looked really nice but by the time you put up a building/utilities that'll be back into 'proper' house money territory.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3