Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Muff making things stiff

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

SophR so good
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 22:37 - 06 Nov 2016    Post subject: Muff making things stiff Reply with quote

Honk.

Ste has just put some tucano urbano muffs on my bike but they've rendered the throttle too stiff to twist, it certainly doesn't snap back.

Does anyone know of any workarounds before we just cut the rubber bit off where it's rubbing on the throttle grip? If I can avoid slightly destroying them that would be nice.

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:47 - 06 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

tbh I hated the Tucano Urbano neoprene ones for the same reasons, restrictive and interfered with controls and wotnot. I switched to their newer polyamide ones and they're far better.

https://www.tucanourbano.com/gb/polyamide-hand-grip-covers-9268.html

And yes...muff, stiff....titter etc

SophR so good
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 22:56 - 06 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dammit! Couldn't work out which would be better as their website is a pile of poo so went with the ones with the earlier delivery date. Don't think I can send them back and swap now they've been attached.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 23:05 - 06 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

The day that someone puts muffs on the eggcup is the day that I erm....

Anyway. The problem is that the bar end is causing friction. undo the screws for the switchgear and push it towards the light. then do them up a bit.

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:22 - 06 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent thread title. Thumbs Up

Can't comment exactly. But if the bar-end end is rubbing, can you shim it out a bit using washers?

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:42 - 06 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be able to loosen the bar end, pull it out a bit and re tighten at that position giving it more wiggle room.

SophR so good
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 23:45 - 06 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three suggestions of budging the bar end weights outward... I'll get up early and see if it can be done. I can't see that they'd design them so stupidly so this makes sense! The rubber overlaps both throttle and bar end weight gluing them together so hopefully this will work. Cheers guys!

Shinigami
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:52 - 06 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bar end isn't rubbing, its due to the mounting setup, rubber cap goes through end of muff and over the bar end and is then supposed to also go over the grip, this is causing bat end and grip to basically act as one. I suggested cutting off the rubber that goes over the grip as the muff will still be held on by the bar end bolt and washers I added (original bolt was too mall for the fixing hole of the end rubber)

Soph doesn't want to cut it though.

I doubt moving the bar end out will help much as it will be loose on its bolt and likely fall out, shed also lose an inch of her throttle width...

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:43 - 07 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had the same problem on mine (for about 8 seconds - before I took the stanley knife to the annoying rubber bit)

Muff and Throttle work as one now and the bar end is left to its own devices.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 10:24 - 07 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get longer bar ends OR longer screws for current bar ends. Enough to put on the outside of the muff with a large washer and remove the stupid rubber mounty bit.

That is what I did on the triple, it stopped it popping off at 110.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

SophR so good
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 10:46 - 07 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think it's going to be a stanley knife jobby then. Changing gear this morning was a clusterfuck, and longer bar ends would need to be seriously longer (plus I don't do 110 as a matter of routine Paddy!)

DrDonnyBrago
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:37 - 07 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure what the inside of the neoprene jobbies are like, but on the big furry muffs they have a rubber thing which goes over the bar end. If the tip is too deep in to the rubber then it chafes on the shaft when you twist it.

The trick is to withdraw the shaft from the rubber until it is in a good position, then wrap a cable tie around it.

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:09 - 12 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not used them, but the attachment to bar end looks a shit design. all that is needed, small slot in the bar end for the muffs to sit in. Has worked nicely with tech7 muffs

Yorkshire Geek
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:26 - 12 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrDonnyBrago wrote:
The trick is to withdraw the shaft from the rubber until it is in a good position, then wrap a cable tie around it.

I have no words for how much this sentence pleased me.

dn38416
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 14:05 - 28 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry for raking this up, but i am about to fit the polyamide R333 model. Now i'm not the sharpest tool in the box, but the instructions seem massively crap.

I got a GPZ500 with stock bar end weights, the short rubber barrel fits over them without reaching the throttle grip, so OK on that front. Do i need to put the metal clamp on as well as take the bolt out of the bar end? Or is it one-or-the-other. I'm a bit reticent to take the end weight apart i'm sure it will screw something else up. This guy (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWisflUEIfY) seems to take the whole end weight apart, don't know why though.

Second question: the inserts that make the muff rigid along the sides - are they worth putting in? I don't see the point, they add nothing to securing it to the handlebars.

Cheers
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 92 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1