Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:16 - 09 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

what was the situation

were you sat at lights on a straight road

moving, at a stop

may be your word against his but if there was no reason for him to reverse then you may be ok

tell your insurance it wasn't your fault and let them deal with it
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:25 - 09 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyscooter wrote:
what was the situation

were you sat at lights on a straight road

moving, at a stop

may be your word against his but if there was no reason for him to reverse then you may be ok

tell your insurance it wasn't your fault and let them deal with it

I can't think of a situation where a vehicle reversing into a stationary vehicle wouldn't be at fault. Regardless of how close behind it was. In the same way as if you crash into the back of someone, it's your fault.

I was assuming the van driver is saying the OP rode into the back of him but I see now he doesn't specifically say so.

If he admits to reversing into you then no amount of agressively denying liability is going to cut the mustard but if he lies about the circumstances and insists the OP rode into the back of him, it'll be very difficult to prove otherwise.

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:40 - 09 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe wrote:
You should have called the police, they would have likely questioned you both under caution about what happened and people are far less likely to lie under such circumstances. Then once having given an account to the police, the other party would be far less likely to give a different account to his insurers.

I take hope form this because Joe seems to still have hope. Angelic

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:50 - 10 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

when I got knocked off years ago on a island the driver immediately got out and said

"you hit my car"

I was sat on the floor trying to work out if I was in pain or not

he was trying to call an ambulance but I managed to get him to call the police

they took markings down and asked what happened

he was told at the scene it was his fault and he had cut me up

I had come onto the roundabout from one side gone past three turns and was exiting when he came onto the island and the front of his car hit the footpeg on my bike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Shinigami
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:48 - 10 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

one of the reasons I ride with a cam this, any proof of bellends helps.

Also using a drift stealth 2, primarily the size/vid quality/price were a decent balance. I don't like cams that make you look like a teletubby and this was nice and small, have it stuck to the side of my lid.

thekaratekid
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 17:29 - 10 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right ive spoken to the insurers - they tell me that my case is thin on the ground without evidence, that I was reversed into as opposed to me riding into a large white unmissable van...

Anyhow, ive ordered the new mud guard and its going to cost me £162 to have it replaced and fitted. Im oing to have to love with the minor scratches near the footwell. My excess is £250 so its me that has to pay it, which annoys me - ive been hit and my bike has been damaged yet its me that has to foot the bill, whilst the driver gets away.

Im about to order a helmet cam so thanks for the advice guys.

My insurer has suggested I contact the solicitors to see if there is any way I can get the money back. I strongly feel that the guy was not insured for business use and i hope that I can get him at this angle.

Some advice would be appreciated. Its either this or im gonna gift him with £162 worth of equal damage to his van,some time soon....

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:59 - 10 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

thekaratekid wrote:

Anyhow, ive ordered the new mud guard and its going to cost me £162 to have it replaced and fitted. Im oing to have to love with the minor scratches near the footwell. My excess is £250 so its me that has to pay it, which annoys me - ive been hit and my bike has been damaged yet its me that has to foot the bill, whilst the driver gets away.

Shocked That's a lot for a mudguard, and have it fitted? Do you own a screwdriver?

Same thing happened to me, van reversed into my bike whilst I was stationary, no witnesses etc. (guy wasn't even insured). I put it down to experience as I knew I wasn't going to get anywhere with it. Always try to stop in their mirrors, not that people use them all that often.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:26 - 11 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

thekaratekid wrote:
ive ordered the new mud guard

Why would you put a new mudguard on a used bike? eBay, breakers, DIY it.

thekaratekid wrote:
Some advice would be appreciated.

Duct tape the damage, buy a camera, get on with your life rather than letting it eat you up.

thekaratekid wrote:
im gonna gift him with £162 worth of equal damage to his van,some time soon....

It's a comforting thought, but consider two possibilities:

1) That it might not be his van.
2) That he can probably find out where you live, and you already know he's a rogue.

Last edited by Rogerborg on 10:15 - 11 Nov 2016; edited 1 time in total

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:53 - 11 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was/is my mudguard, the bit where it attaches on the right side had also snapped off:
https://i37.servimg.com/u/f37/15/13/82/47/mud10.png

I cut the mudguard down and glued the bit that had snapped off back on. I wasn't prepared to pay £60 for a new one, even used breakers want £20+. I missed out on (a used) one that sold for a quid Sad
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 165 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2