Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Is plusnet any good?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

ajag
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 20:36 - 09 Nov 2016    Post subject: Is plusnet any good? Reply with quote

Hello,

I am currently with BT on the Unlimited Infinity 2 package paying around £55.00 a month. I can get the same thing from Plusnet for around £36 so thinking about switching.

I really do not care much about technical support since I never had to call BT other than for them to fix my home move which they messed up. I do care about up-time though. Broadband is more important in my house than running water Smile

Thanks!

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:51 - 09 Nov 2016    Post subject: Re: Is plusnet any good? Reply with quote

ajag wrote:
Hello,

I am currently with BT on the Unlimited Infinity 2 package paying around £55.00 a month. I can get the same thing from Plusnet for around £36 so thinking about switching.

I really do not care much about technical support since I never had to call BT other than for them to fix my home move which they messed up. I do care about up-time though. Broadband is more important in my house than running water Smile

Thanks!

Google is your friend.

https://www.broadband.co.uk/broadband/providers/plusnet/reviews/

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.plus.net

bugeye_bob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:58 - 09 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

in a word "No",
Had loads of issues that they cant sort, all they ever suggest is turn off and re-sync, they made an appointment to send an engineer, he did turn up, on the 3rd attempt, 2 visits never happened and no call to say don`t stay in,
Can`t wait for my contract to finish so I can move,
Others may have better experience but I would NEVER recommend them.

ajag
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 21:07 - 09 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both for the replies, will give it a miss then. Will call BT to see if they can reduce the price.

Cansa, I had looked at reviews on google but a lot are basic users than can't figure out stuff and/or about the equipment they provide which I would not use. Do appreciate the links though.

J4mes
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:16 - 09 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am with them because they were cheap at the time(line rental and package for £30) and I got £100 back through quidco or something.

Range on the router is absolutely dogshit. I pick up my neighbours talk talk and BT routers better when I'm in the garden or laid in bed than I do my own, even though it's only 20ft away.

Speed is OK-ish. Was advertised as 30-33 and normally get 28 but as low as 20 at peak periods. But realistically all I do is download a few boxsets and post absolute horse-shit on here and facebook so it's no total issue.

Would use again if financial incentives were good enough.

But if you need serious internet use for gaming or work or whatever then probably not, no.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:18 - 09 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

They were also passing the details of illegal downloaders onto a law firm, who were 'asking' for money to make the case go away. Sky were doing it as well.

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:15 - 09 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with them on the infinity 2 equivalent, chosen for being unlimited and with a static IP at a reasonable price (I had been on BT Business previously). It's been pretty much trouble free (other than when the house next door but one got struck by lightning, which stopped the router working properly - but also took out a network switch, and next door's router, together with loads of stuff in the house that got hit).

The only annoying thing I've had is their billing system. It works pretty much as you'd expect - they send a notification that your bill is available, and some days later take the money.

When youview came out on PlusNet, I added that onto my account. They did a deal for me with free recording box, and reduced fees for broadband and tv. The problem was that the bloke entering the order messed up, and I ended up getting billed for a full price box with postage, plus just the postage on the free one (which I expected). I called and complained immediately, they posted a credit to my account, but despite calling them within an hour or so of the bill being available, they couldn't/wouldn't correct the direct debit payment for that month, claiming that as soon as the bill is generated the payment is queued up and cannot be recalled.

Either they lied, or their billing system is stupid. Either way, it was annoying but not catastrophic (I was out fifty quid for a month, no big deal). If it was someone on a tight budget, that could have been the difference between eating or not. PlusNet didn't see this as a problem.

Ed Case
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:41 - 09 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't have Plus Net because I can't stand that irritating twat in the 'cowboy shirt' that advertises it on the telly, I could throw the zapper at the screen !.

bugeye_bob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:51 - 09 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

J4mes wrote:
I am with them because they were cheap at the time(line rental and package for £30) and I got £100 back through quidco or something.

Range on the router is absolutely dogshit. I pick up my neighbours talk talk and BT routers better when I'm in the garden or laid in bed than I do my own, even though it's only 20ft away.

Speed is OK-ish. Was advertised as 30-33 and normally get 28 but as low as 20 at peak periods. But realistically all I do is download a few boxsets and post absolute horse-shit on here and facebook so it's no total issue.

Would use again if financial incentives were good enough.

But if you need serious internet use for gaming or work or whatever then probably not, no.

Very good point, Ive had to add a old router to get the range to the garage, the old Netgear did the job on it`s own.

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:48 - 10 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been with them for 2+ years haven't had a single drop in connection (that we've noticed from their end)

Get about 70 down and 30 up average and torrent and stream everything. Never had any issue or a warnings, only use vpn's ocassionally for other things.

The router they sent was a piece of shite but they have no problem with you using your own unlike some other providers, which I normally do anyway.

Been through bethere (original and probably favourite), sky, bt, back to sky, then back to bt and now plusnet which has been the least hassle of any.

Can't get virgin cable where I am or would've tried that, but a friend just got hyper optic, 1gb up and down, incredible

www.hyperoptic.com

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:15 - 10 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

PlusNet is BT ... it didn't take long, after they bought it, for PlusNet to go down hill.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:32 - 10 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScaredyCat wrote:
PlusNet is BT ... it didn't take long, after they bought it, for PlusNet to go down hill.

But they are still a bit cheaper than BT, been with them a couple of years with only brief slow downs (only ADSL here)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:23 - 10 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScaredyCat wrote:

theoretically so is every other dsl provider, it's all bt infrastructure, it's why we pay "line rental" for some ancient piece of shit telephone service I don't need or want, we don't even plug in a home phone Crying or Very sad

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:39 - 10 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

vice wrote:
ScaredyCat wrote:

theoretically so is every other dsl provider

Every other DSL provider isn't owned by BT.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:54 - 10 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biggest advantage is that they're not talk-talk...

I've been with them for over 6 years. The only very minor problem I had was they sent me an email telling me I was going onto high speed broadband on the wrong date. I've always been able to get someone on the phone for support and they clarified the correct date (had to swap out the router on changeover day).

I would never use a router supplied by an ISP anyway because I feel that's inherantly unsecure. It's all my own hardware from the master socket on.

Shinigami
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:23 - 10 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

no, they're not 'good'

however they are better than talk talk, anyone is better than talk talk (or any provider who uses talk talk under the surface (eg fuel broadband)

we're with BT infinity at present and it's been spot on so far, consistently getting the quoted speeds

ajag
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 15:19 - 10 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is what I meant that I was looking for first hand experiences because reviews online focus on the hardware supplied or the billing website.

I am not using BT's hardware and I would not use PlusNet's either. I only log into BT's billing site once a year at most. I just care that the broadband is reliable and they don't throttle.

Thank you all for your comments, I appreciate them.

CBFcarl
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 11:44 - 11 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

bamt wrote:
....despite calling them within an hour or so of the bill being available, they couldn't/wouldn't correct the direct debit payment for that month, claiming that as soon as the bill is generated the payment is queued up and cannot be recalled.

Either they lied, or their billing system is stupid.

They lied. A DD request is sent to your bank usually 4 - 5 days before it is due to allow the bank to authorise the payment. Any amendment before this date means that the amount requested is adjusted. I suspect that the person that you spoke to didn't have the credit limit to ensure you weren't charged.

vice wrote:
theoretically so is every other dsl provider, it's all bt infrastructure, it's why we pay "line rental" for some ancient piece of shit telephone service I don't need or want, we don't even plug in a home phone Crying or Very sad

Not quite. BT Openreach own the network as a whole (except for Hull, but we don't talk about Hull), and Service Providers (Sky, TalkTalk, BTRetail etc) rent the service from them. The people who charge you line rental are a seperate entity from the company that own the network whole.

I used to work for PlusNet, and I started working for them about a week after they were bought out by BT Retail. Later on, I worked for BT Retail and when my office closed down I was given the option to go to PlusNet. I loved my time there, but at the end BT were stamping their authoritah all over the place and the things that made it a cracking ISP were being eroded.

My 2p, it doesnt matter about the name on the bill, as long as the cost is good and the support is better. You might have had a bad experience with PlusNet, but had you been next in the queue, the next advisor might have been some kind of savant. I used to work for Sky, and I have Fibre with them (kept it when I left). I've never had an issue that I couldn't resolve myself but I think in general the people at Sky are good. Queues can be a bit high, though.

Baffler186
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:57 - 11 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

ajag wrote:
Will call BT to see if they can reduce the price.
yes give that a go. Virgin sent us a letter to say our 50mb package was going to increase from £32 to £38/month. The wife phoned up to cancel, and they happily reduced it to £28.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:45 - 11 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baffler186 wrote:
ajag wrote:
Will call BT to see if they can reduce the price.
yes give that a go. Virgin sent us a letter to say our 50mb package was going to increase from £32 to £38/month. The wife phoned up to cancel, and they happily reduced it to £28.

Always worth doing, I got BT down to £10 a month for infinity from £22.

andys675
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:16 - 13 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baffler186 wrote:
Virgin sent us a letter to say our 50mb package was going to increase from £32 to £38/month. The wife phoned up to cancel, and they happily reduced it to £28.

ours was about £24 in 2015, by last month it was £28.25 so I told them to cut it off and wouldn't listen, Sky were doing 38mb unlimited last month for £10 a month for 12 months so went with that, Virgin eventually came back at £17 fixed but I still told them to jog on

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 20:07 - 13 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished ordering myself some internets from Plusnet, £27.50 for unlimited fibre including line rental for an 18 month contract with £42 cashback.

Fuck BT, I'm currently paying them a fiver line rental each month but this still works out cheaper. CBA with hassling them to price match, blah blah blah, job done. Mr. Green

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:27 - 14 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Just finished ordering myself some internets from Plusnet, £27.50 for unlimited fibre including line rental for an 18 month contract with £42 cashback.

Fuck BT, I'm currently paying them a fiver line rental each month but this still works out cheaper. CBA with hassling them to price match, blah blah blah, job done. Mr. Green

Why not go with vodafone?

They've binned the line rental.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 02:34 - 14 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because they charge a "£49 one-off fibre connection fee" and there's no cashback available.

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:35 - 14 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Because they charge a "£49 one-off fibre connection fee" and there's no cashback available.

Bad times.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 155 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3