Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Is the mainstream media ultimately damaging society?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:41 - 10 Nov 2016    Post subject: Is the mainstream media ultimately damaging society? Reply with quote

Just wondering everyone's thoughts on this.

To me it seems that they're single-handedly ripping society in half, pushing out the most divisive articles they can because it makes a good read and keeps sales up.

What people forget is that mainstream media is a massive source of info for most people, and even if they claim to be 'wise' and source their news without bias, this obviously isn't the case as it just takes a small glance at the comments of most articles to see that many people fall for it hook line and sinker - left and right wing alike.

The Independent have just likened a single piece of swastika graffiti, sprayed last night on a shop window in the US, to Kristallnacht in Nazi Germany, and people in the comments seem to believe the US has literally just voted Hitler V2. *EDIT: Sorry I mean the comments on the Independent facebook post for this article where most people have their say.

For years it's been said that the Daily Mail and its ilk are the mouthpiece of nonsense hysterical opinions in the media, but recently it seems many other papers are going the same way. Their end goal isn't to keep society good, it's to sell papers. Over time it's been small hysterical things here and there that you can kind of laugh at, but recently it's reached a peak where papers have finally found issues that naturally divide society on an exact 50/50 basis. This is now of course being drummed up as much as possible because it sells so easily. But aside from selling stories, the resulting division is real.

Can this really be a good thing?

woo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:07 - 10 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

they been doing that since "civilization" began religion was the start of it all

faffergotgunz
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 18:21 - 10 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was just having a stoner chat about this last night.

Half the problem is the media in my opinion. Headlines of immigrants, terrorism, propaganda this and that. Fear is what is driving people to vote.

We seem to be concentrating more on these matters than the important stuff. i.e. Education, science, environment, developement of the economy and a better way of life.

Margret, the little old lady would rather close the borders to ethnic minorities than concentrate on her grandchildrens future. "Oh, taxes are going up and the cost of education but at least we dont have any Polish people around here any more".

Ok, we will cut down on immigrants, this will "help to cut out terrorist attacks". What we are doing though is breeding more hate, that sort of hard hand just ruins our reputation and integrity as first World Nations.

Globalisation should be viewed as progress imo. What ever happened to the the dream of World peace?

*stoner talk over...

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:30 - 10 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

No it's not the mainstream media, they've been at it for centuries!

It's social media, in particular Facebook!
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, however when opinions cannot be backed up with real facts they're just meaningless words on a screen!
There is no real debate taking place, people have merely formed themselves into groups of like minded people who agree with each other!
Dissent is not allowed on Facebook, there is no "Dislike" button only the "Like" button, consequently these groups of people feel that their views are validated, whether or not their views have any basis in reality, or not!
Over the last three decades there has been a nasty trend to belittle anyone who has views that don't conform to the mainstream!
The language used to describe people who hold opposite views or do not conform to mainstream views is quite despicable and is used, specifically, to demonise these people!
You can see this language used here, on BCF, it's particularly noticeable in any of the "Brexit" threads!

The problem is, there are now multiple outlets were any crackpot fruit loop can publish their views and find a ready made audience.
Remember if you tell a lie repeatedly, for long enough, eventually your audience will come to see it as the truth, that's how propaganda works! Think about that for a moment and reflect on how that has been used in the media, by politicians, by PR gurus and advertisers and you'll see how the social media shitstirrers have cottoned on to it!

To make matters worse, it's obvious, if you digest any mainstream media that they're trawling social media sites, on a daily basis, and reporting what they see as actual "news", FFS!
It's a self perpetuating, bullshit, headline generator!

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 18:44 - 10 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

They court controversy for the attention.

Decrying them gives them attention.

The only way to win is to not read or listen.

Rob Fzs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:24 - 10 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

The internet is killing them off, barely anyone buys a paper anymore, less and less people are watching live tv, the Guardian newspaper seems to be one of very few with a paywall and they lose about £50 million a year, yet still keep going?

Trump is already giving them a boot

https://apnews.com/22b62277e34b47008a760c660084968a
'00 Aprilia RS50 > '92 Honda CG > '99 Yamaha Fazer > '91 Yamaha RXS > '79 Suzuki X5 > 01' Honda Cg > 07' Honda Cg > 82' Kawasaki Z200 > suzuki gsxr 400 gk73a > honda vfr 400 NC30> Yamaha RD350 YPVS F2 > Kawasaki ZZR 600 D1 > Yamaha TZR 250 2MA >Suzuki TL1000R > Yamaha TDR250 > Honda 929 blade > Suzuki SV1000 > Honda H100
Mod 2 Passed 09/06/2011

Last edited by Rob Fzs on 19:32 - 10 Nov 2016; edited 1 time in total

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 19:29 - 10 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fascist.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:44 - 10 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

They all have their target markets and agendas. It's interesting if you watch ITV and Channel 4 news to see how differently you can present the same news (both are by the same production company I believe).

What I've noticed is news websites seem to be following the example of those annoying adverts, this picture of <insert name> will leave you speechless type thing. Basically anything to get you to click, they're desperate for advertising revenue.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:08 - 10 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

faffergotgunz wrote:

Globalisation should be viewed as progress imo.

Globalisation is the lowering of the country to the lowest common denominator.

Why do people come to UK? Because they can make more money here than in their own country. Rather than improve their house they come and live in ours, forcing down wages. When will it stop? When there is no benefit coming here,

So little old lady Margret is trying to help her grandchildren. Thumbs Up

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:31 - 10 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

The evil media I talk of has been coming out with loads of fantastic articles about globalisation since Trump won the vote.

It's as if they had it all up their sleeve ready to publish as soon as Trump won. They knew full well globalisation is what caused everything to fuck up in western civilisation but they've waited until now to cash in on it.

But still, fair play to them for mentioning it at all.

But while these articles are pumped out, I notice so many other hysterical pieces that are as bad as someone standing on a high street with a board saying 'the end is nigh'. It's all a mess of one opinion against the other, which hardly helps with the idea of unity in any nation.

A few responses here are saying opinions are all formed online these days, but the truth is most people still get their news exposure via a few mainstream channels - facebook, twitter, youtube etc. I remember a few years ago facebook was a social tool in its entirety, but then it was sold off and now 80% of what you see on there is adverts and news articles. But people still use it, at a growing rate.

https://1u88jj3r4db2x4txp44yqfj1.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/facebook_monthly_q1_2016.png

So "mainstream media" is now hand in hand with social media anyway, so people are still seeing the same shite in the news and taking it all in.

As far as I can tell, in the past 5 years people have become extremely opinionated and extremely divided, and it seems to have gone hand in hand with the rise in social media and the ensuing rise in major news organisations shifting over to those platforms.

It's like social media brought the world together, then the news stuck its nose in and pulled everyone apart again.

smegballs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:34 - 10 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

faffergotgunz wrote:

Margret, the little old lady would rather close the borders to ethnic minorities than concentrate on her grandchildrens future.

Implying closing borders isn't benefiting her grandchildrens future.....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:42 - 10 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
faffergotgunz wrote:

Globalisation should be viewed as progress imo.

Globalisation is the lowering of the country to the lowest common denominator.

To be honest I think it's worse than this.

It's the mass transfer of wealth from the many to the few.

On the topic of open borders - allowing more people into a country to work just pushes wages and working conditions down, while the large employers and business still take the same profits.

This is why I'm not a fan of it. It's all to do with the "1%" argument. It's made a mess of things for the left and the right in politics. Inequality, open borders, destruction of public services, stale governance... the list goes on.

smegballs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:43 - 10 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:

A few responses here are saying opinions are all formed online these days, but the truth is most people still get their news exposure via a few mainstream channels - facebook, twitter, youtube etc.

https://i.imgur.com/sCDKIMI.png
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Mark_F
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 21:29 - 10 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

To a large extent, the mainstream media these days cater to audiences, so they get views (or clicks, or whatever it is they measure these days). This gives the majority a set audience they can sell advertising space for.

It's nice to think they are dragging society down, but in the end it's what society has pushed for (without realising). People want to read/watch whatever it is they want to read/watch. They want their views reinforced, and who can blame these businesses for selecting a group to cater to, and giving them what they want? It's what gets them the money (or did in the past).

That's why internet companies funnel people into echo chambers too. They aren't doing it to intentionally funnel people into chatrooms based on their views, they are just using the same algorithms that are successful for advertising. The unintended consequence is that people read what they already believe, whether it's the reality or not.

The only way anyone can form their own opinion is to read the same story from lots of different publications, and cherrypick what you want to believe. That said, that doesn't necessarily give a realistic view of the story either.

Propaganda does exist, but people who believe it usually do so because they want to believe it anyway, because it justifies the conclusion they have already come to. Lots of bogus conspiracy stuff is similar, but from the opposite viewpoint to the state.

The mainstream media should carry some blame for mass misinformation (all sides/wings/other divisive factors), but they're only doing it because it's what their readers/viewers want.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:53 - 10 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol, mpd banging on about lefty's, quelle surprise Laughing

It's more of an obsession than the Scottish have with heroin Laughing Laughing

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:02 - 10 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
I think the social engineering which mainstream media have been feeding us for years, has been realised by the majority. Most media attracts lefties as employees, much like air stewarding attracts homosexuals. This mainly left wing mainstream media, have been pushing increasingly left wing values on the majority for too long now and have turned up the volume too much.

Positive discrimination is too obvious to many now on TV, radio and adverts. Many people have had enough - the worm has turned.

Brexit, Trump... both unexpected, both happened. The silent majority are sick of being silenced.

Well this is something I've quite suddenly realised.

Again relating to the whole neoliberal globalism thing, it's created a "pseudo left" of people who think they're opposing the right, when in fact they're simply acting as sympathisers and facilitators for the underlying quest to break down the world and reduce it to its lowest common denominator so a few can suck out more profit.

For a long time I've been saying I'm an "economic lefty" rather than a social lefty like all the liberals who want to drag the world down, and now I realise that 'liberal' simply isn't left at all, it's a whole category of its own that completely hurdles politics and instead acts as a spearhead for the globalist agenda.

Social media isn't a platform for the left at all, it's a platform for the liberals, who are a completely separate breed.

Now I understand why I, who supports the political left, hate these people just as much as people on here who support the political right. Because liberals don't do politics, they do globalism Puke

And the mainstream media love it, because it means $$$.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:46 - 10 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Percy my lord, I'm still trying to work out what you stand for Smile

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:57 - 10 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Media is a feedback loop. People look to others for confirmation of their viewpoint.
Now when you have a system that has evolved to pickup on those points and amplify them back (they have to, to make money). Not a good thing. Considerable distortions of the truth occur and peoples views and actions are affected.

My parents weren't anyway near as negative or racist when they started reading the Daily Fail 20 years ago.

I may be oversimplifying things a bit, but I can't be doing with facts! Smile

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:12 - 10 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
Most media attracts lefties as employees, much like air stewarding attracts homosexuals. This mainly left wing mainstream media, have been pushing increasingly left wing values on the majority for too long now.

What a bunch of bollocks.

Yet the facts show the opposite:

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2016/02/07/british-press-most-right-wing-europe/

Also during Brexit vote Leave campaign had 82% media support.

Because fear sell. Which makes you angry. Which sells even more.

The places where nobody has even seen immigrant voted mostly leave. Because syrians are coming to rape you all white people in the bumm. According to Daily Heil.

The same had hapenned in the US of A.

So yes lying media is destroying the society for money they do.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:27 - 10 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Val wrote:
mpd72 wrote:
Most media attracts lefties as employees, much like air stewarding attracts homosexuals. This mainly left wing mainstream media, have been pushing increasingly left wing values on the majority for too long now.

What a bunch of bollocks.

Yet the facts show the opposite:

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2016/02/07/british-press-most-right-wing-europe/

Also during Brexit vote Leave campaign had 82% media support.

Because fear sell. Which makes you angry. Which sells even more.

The places where nobody has even seen immigrant voted mostly leave. Because syrians are coming to rape you all white people in the bumm. According to Daily Heil.

The same had hapenned in the US of A.

So yes lying media is destroying the society for money they do.

You never did answer me how Merkel justifies dealing with the Saudis while telling Trump he has to conform to her views.

The same views her migrant masses don't seem able to accede to either?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 139 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8