Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

MOD1 Passed, then proceeded to drop bike on ride

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

155mph
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 17:06 - 10 Nov 2016    Post subject: MOD1 Passed, then proceeded to drop bike on ride Reply with quote

Passed my MOD1 today with clean sheet. Stopped for a celebratory cup of tea before continuing with MOD2 training ride with instructor plus one other. Approach hill junction with steep camber. Position steering to the right at stop line only to stall the bike and drop it as I lost balance.

Embarrassing. Never (ever) dropped a bike before. And it was bloody heavy (Hornet). No damage. Walked around to calm nerves as instructor gives bike once over. He's cool with it. I'm kicking myself.

Instructor made us re-visit the junction after lunch to conquer my fears. Brave man.

Oh well, at least I got that out of the way now before my MOD2 test next week. Wish me luck.

Last edited by 155mph on 19:38 - 10 Nov 2016; edited 1 time in total

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:12 - 10 Nov 2016    Post subject: Re: MOD1 Passed, then proceeded to drop bike on ride Reply with quote

155mph wrote:
Instructor made us re-visit the junction after lunch to conquer my fears. Brave man.

Best way to do it.

I'm sure we've all almost dropped or have dropped the first big bike we rode / owned. I did god knows what when turning into a junction and managed to save the GS 500 from meeting the tarmac as my training instructor rode of into the distance without noticing. Live and learn, saves you from doing it on your own bike at least.

Take it easy on test because time of year and weather and you'll be fine. Don't over think it, nothing more than the basic road ride to ensure you're safe to ride solo non L plated for yours and everyone's sake. Enjoy it. Thumbs Up

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:41 - 10 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh, don't even give it a thought. Everyone drops a bike at some point. Longer you've been at it the more times you'll do it. I've dropped bikes slipping on mud, fucking up a slow turn, not putting the stand down and even staring at totty at a junction.

Pick up, dust off, braaaap.

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:50 - 10 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

It won't be the last time.
I'd expect you to do it at least once more in the next 12 months.
Most bikers have done it a few times.

In my case the most regular 'drop' is in gravel car parks.
Engine off, one foot slides on the gravel, the stand gives way on the one bit of really soft ground (like 3 inches by 2 inches Very Happy ) and next thing you're standing the bike upright again...

It's one of the reasons people shouldn't buy bikes relying on the resale value when they sell them.
One drop can result in zero damage or in a lot of expensive plastics damage and is so embarrassingly simple to do...

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:54 - 10 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't worry to much. There are two types of people in this world, those that have dropped their bikes and those that dont own bikes.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:52 - 10 Nov 2016    Post subject: Re: MOD1 Passed, then proceeded to drop bike on ride Reply with quote

155mph wrote:
only to stall the bike and drop it as I lost balance.

Yep I've done that Embarassed Also managed to loose my balance on a loose paving stone, and rock the bike off a paddock stand and promptly onto the floor and myself.

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:11 - 10 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

The girl I did my mod1 dropped her bike 5 minutes before she started. Passed no issues

Bozzy
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 23:52 - 10 Nov 2016    Post subject: Re: MOD1 Passed, then proceeded to drop bike on ride Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
155mph wrote:
only to stall the bike and drop it as I lost balance.

Yep I've done that Embarassed Also managed to loose my balance on a loose paving stone, and rock the bike off a paddock stand and promptly onto the floor and myself.

I dropped mine (the second time) after a stall whilst practicing U-turns. I was just starting to get used to the bike and doing full lock U'ees when suddenly I stalled. There was too much forward momentum so the bike went down despite my best efforts to stop it. Fortunately for me there was no damage, mainly because the crash bungs fitted are like a pair of big black dildos protruding from the frame and so took the brunt of the impact rather well! A stupid mistake for not slipping the clutch enough but one I'll try to avoid again!

Tamsin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:39 - 11 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not dropped the CBR yet, but so many times that I have been close.... Took me a year and a half to drop the CG after getting my CBT and then did it twice in a day Shocked

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:53 - 11 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember a bird on my DAS that was full of mouth about how she knew more than everyone else about bikes and her fella was some biker equivalent of Ronny Pickering. She had a godawful looking Blandit that she/he had 'customised' especially for her. She went on and on about how he'd lowered it and so on so that it was perfectly balanced only for her.

Stupid bitch dropped it four times in one session, two of them just getting on it (she was an angry midget)

The trainers were just rolling their eyes, they told me afterwards that she'd done over ten lessons already and they just didn't know how to tell her biking wasn't for her because she was just too gobby.

Meh, cool story brah and that eh.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:10 - 11 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dropped my old Sprint whilst rolling backwards astride it, off a cambered driveway. Kicked myself for that one.

Broke a 5 inch piece of plastic trim - cost me something like 45 quid from Triumph Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:33 - 11 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also like to stroke OP's mangina and softly whisper "There, there."

The only bike I haven't dropped was my Lifan 250, and that was because it was so allah-awful that I didn't ride it for long enough. Crash bars or bungs go on everything now.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:18 - 11 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

ADSrox0r wrote:
I remember a bird on my DAS that was full of mouth about how she knew more than everyone else about bikes and her fella was some biker equivalent of Ronny Pickering. She had a godawful looking Blandit that she/he had 'customised' especially for her. She went on and on about how he'd lowered it and so on so that it was perfectly balanced only for her.

Stupid bitch dropped it four times in one session, two of them just getting on it (she was an angry midget)

The trainers were just rolling their eyes, they told me afterwards that she'd done over ten lessons already and they just didn't know how to tell her biking wasn't for her because she was just too gobby.

Meh, cool story brah and that eh.

WTF would you choose to learn on a Bandit. I felt like I was gonna drop the thing every time I went near it on my training (luckily I didn't). You can drop smaller bikes, the paving stone incident I was off the bike pushing my 125 and fell into a fence Smile, and I remember nearly dropping the thing the first time I had to do an emergency stop (full tank of fuel + ludicrous fork dive contributed).

But a top heavy Bandit's just making things more difficult for yourself. My stall + drop (with a little bit of panic involved) was on a 240kg bike, when they start to go unless you have thighs like Chris Hoy* it's hard to stop it going over.

*'Chris Hoy's bulging thighs have a circumference of 27in - 4in more than Victoria Beckham's waist'

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:43 - 11 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell me about it, the Viff is even heavier and when my left foot slipped and she went over it felt like my thigh would burst trying to keep it up. Only thing you can do is try and lay it down with as little momentum as possible. Managed to heft it back up myself though but I think that was just adrenaline egging me on before anyone came out to the car park and saw my shame.

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:44 - 11 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dropped the Fazer shortly after passing the tests, Co-Op car park, school chucking out time, near a bus stop. Embarassed
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:04 - 11 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
WTF would you choose to learn on a Bandit.

Beats me. Workmate learned on one of the 240kg+ water cooled faired 650s. He dropped it on himself during training and knackered his knee for 3 months.

After he'd passed, he went out and bought one for himself because he'd "got used to it". I promptly dropped it for him, with 100 miles on the odometer. How we laughed.

He then proceeded to drop it himself, multiple times, on both sides. How I laughed. The cheeky claim on his excess-protected comp insurance for the total damage very nearly wrote it off at a year old.

Shinigami
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:13 - 11 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

dropped my hornet once (in sideways hail)

dropped my fz6 due to disclock left on, in a busy car park for everyone to see and laugh at Laughing

ackack
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 01:24 - 26 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm probably tempting fate but I haven't yet.

rcbikeracer
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 17:09 - 26 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mate removed the sidecar from his outfit, rode it, stopped for the traffic lights, and wondered why it fell over Rolling Eyes

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:48 - 26 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:
I wouldn't worry to much. There are two types of people in this world, those that have dropped their bikes and those that dont own bikes.

That makes me unique.

Aceslock
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 11:37 - 28 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Dropped the bike on the morning of my Mod 2 at a junction with steep camber, same as op only i broke the front brake lever........ had to ride back to the yard with only half a lever for them to replace it. Nearly missed my test as a result, just got there in time and passed Thumbs Up

Yorkshire Geek
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:21 - 03 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to swing my leg over the school's Gladius, didn't get my leg high enough, and basically kicked the bike over onto its side breaking the front brake lever. Felt a total cunt, but glad I made that mistake with their bike rather than mine.

155mph
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 22:34 - 04 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yorkshire Geek wrote:
I went to swing my leg over the school's Gladius, didn't get my leg high enough, and basically kicked the bike over onto its side breaking the front brake lever. Felt a total cunt, but glad I made that mistake with their bike rather than mine.

Always best to take your frustrations out on someone else's bike Very Happy

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:41 - 05 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yorkshire Geek wrote:
didn't get my leg high enough,.

Find that hard to credit a man of your stature.

Azoth
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 20:20 - 05 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yorkshire Geek wrote:

Laughing Wouldn't worry about that. I messed up my school's new Zontes 125 on my CBT. They'd left the steering lock on, and we were asked to wheel the bikes over to the side of the playing area. I thought mine felt a little stiff, then, SNAP. The steering lock, shiny black gloss thing apparently as strong as a tin can, snapped. Problem, because the steering lock cut out the ignition... The owner of the school called out the local garage, which was also a bike shop at the time, which had sold him the bike under warranty. They came over and couldn't do anything but booked it in. One of his instructors then attacked it with a spanner and screwdriver. After a bit of time and swearing, he hotwired it, and I could continue my CBT. On the on-road part, the instructor gave me a screwdriver, as the bike now needed a screwdriver to turn the ignition over and start it... Fun times.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 137 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2