BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Hello

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

TangoBike
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:04 - 11 Nov 2016    Post subject: Hello Reply with quote

I've been on reading through a few posts and thought I might as well register!

New to biking, I have my fourth lesson tomorrow. Almost didn't go back after the first one cos I was beating myself up for not grasping clutch etc. Was told my by dad to wise up, to put it politely!

Head blocks / nerves seem to be holding me back in a way. Had a complete nightmare last week doing U turns in the practice area, ended up coming off the bike. But hey, I got straight back on. I don't know what it is, I get half way in to doing it and suddenly my brain flicks a 'you're going to fall' switch. Fair enough, I did, but I also managed to do a few of them with no problem at all.

I really want to do it though, so back at it tomorrow it is.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:10 - 11 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome in.

Well done for getting back on. Believe me - a lot of people find the first few times out a struggle, and there's no shame in it. Once the muscle memory of the controls becomes more natural, everything will fall into place.

Good luck with the lessons.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:15 - 11 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Visualise and affirm your desired outcomes, if you believe you're going to fall/fail you will, the opposite is also true.

Well done for not giving up.

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:37 - 11 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to BCF Smile

Patience is the key. Everybody here has started like you from scratch. You just need time on a bike.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:09 - 12 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out in the real world U-Turns don't exist so don't worry about it. Well, they do but the result of pulling in the clutch and putting both feet down to do a 3 point turn is exactly the same so why risk dropping it when one is easier than the other? The test pad U-Turn width is generous so don't overthink it, you'll be fine. Look where you want to go and have trust in your controlling of the machine.

Get it right on the day and you'll have nothing to worry about afterwards. 20 minutes approx and it will all be over.

Best of luck. Thumbs Up

Kyle.
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 01:22 - 12 Nov 2016    Post subject: Re: Hello Reply with quote

TangoBike wrote:
Had a complete nightmare last week doing U turns in the practice area, ended up coming off the bike. But hey, I got straight back on. I don't know what it is, I get half way in to doing it and suddenly my brain flicks a 'you're going to fall' switch.

I was the exact same, really struggled with U-turns at first. My problem was I was going far too slow and wobbling all over the place. Try it without the lifesaver a few times, it's less to think about (obviously not on the road) then once your comfortable add the lifesaver. I struggled with it but once I eventually got it, it was a massive confidence boost. Stick in there.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:02 - 12 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:
the result of pulling in the clutch and putting both feet down to do a 3 point turn is exactly the same so why risk dropping it

https://i.imgur.com/ZsB7i5p.png

As above, don't sweat it. Much of the mod 1 is daft performing-seal stuff. You only have to get it right once on the day, so don't get obsessed with over-practising it. Just have a go.

Once you're past (and passed) the tests, it's all gravy.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 11:16 - 12 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try to use balance and steering to keep the bike upright rather thn brute strength. It won't make a difference with a little'un but once you start progressing to bigger bikes you'll find you probbly won't be strong enought to hold it up if it starts to get un-balanced.

TangoBike
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:52 - 12 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah it just feels like one step forward and two steps back.

My first 'lesson' was actually my CBT. I'd never been on a bike before this. Didn't manage to get out on the road (and haven't yet), spent the whole time doing laps on the 125 getting used to it. Felt like a tube for not 'getting' the CBT at the end and wasn't going to to back. Decided to give it another go.

Second lesson was getting used to a bigger bike (600) and I felt really happy after that one. Was using the throttle a little, turning etc.

Last week was the U turn incident.

Back on today, trying to build up more and more speed. I get to 15mph and there's just some kind of mental block, this is before even trying to change gear. I don't know what it is or why it happens. I know it's only a millimetre more throttle. I know I can drive out of the same car park at 20mph and stop my car.

I want to crack this, I really do. I want to get my bike license. But at the minute, I don't know how to shut this nervousness off. I really want to do it, but I don't want to waste my money or the instructors time if I'll never be able to get over it.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:16 - 12 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Consider getting a 125 and going back when you have more experience/confidence. Some people (myself included) need time on a tiddler. Slow speed control's more difficult IMO, so you're starting with the difficult stuff.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 20:34 - 12 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

TangoBike wrote:
Didn't manage to get out on the road (and haven't yet)

Err. Then you haven't completed your CBT or validated your provisional entitlement.

TangoBike wrote:
But at the minute, I don't know how to shut this nervousness off.

Stop worrying about it, and stop practising on training pad. Just go and ride a bike on the road, then smash in your tests. Honestly, the amount of flapping and fussing about 15 minutes of round-and-round.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:43 - 12 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

TangoBike wrote:
Ah it just feels like one step forward and two steps back.

My first 'lesson' was actually my CBT. I'd never been on a bike before this. Didn't manage to get out on the road (and haven't yet), spent the whole time doing laps on the 125 getting used to it. Felt like a tube for not 'getting' the CBT at the end and wasn't going to to back. Decided to give it another go.

Second lesson was getting used to a bigger bike (600) and I felt really happy after that one. Was using the throttle a little, turning etc.

Last week was the U turn incident.

Back on today, trying to build up more and more speed. I get to 15mph and there's just some kind of mental block, this is before even trying to change gear. I don't know what it is or why it happens. I know it's only a millimetre more throttle. I know I can drive out of the same car park at 20mph and stop my car.

I want to crack this, I really do. I want to get my bike license. But at the minute, I don't know how to shut this nervousness off. I really want to do it, but I don't want to waste my money or the instructors time if I'll never be able to get over it.

We've all been there - I certainly have anyway. My CBT was shit - but when I went back a second day it was ace.

I agree with M.C too - comparatively small and gradual steps (e.g. 125cc - 250cc - 500cc - etc.) can be the best way to go for those of us who aren't supremely naturally talented. A lot of the world's best riders took things quite incrementally - Rossi started small, e.g.

As for nervousness, that's a good thing. You're doing something potentially quite dangerous - you'd be a bit thick if you didn't have *some* anxiety. And in fact, as you go along, there'll be times when your confidence will outstrip your competence - and you'll wish the nervousness you'd now like to silence was there to hold you back and protect you. If you stick with it, it won't be THAT long before you're feeling cocky and self-assured. Watch out for that - confidence is essential, but too much of it can really fuck your day.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

TangoBike
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:43 - 13 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Err. Then you haven't completed your CBT or validated your provisional entitlement.

Err. No, I haven't. That's why I said 'Felt like a tube for not 'getting' the CBT at the end and wasn't going to to back.'

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha, I think you could be right. The instructor has offered a one to one lesson next week rather than group to see if that helps. Think I'll take him up on it to see if it does. Then I'll see about completing the CBT & look at a 125.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:12 - 13 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nil desperendum young feller me lad
Many of us older bikers had 'all fields round here' when we first rode
all hacked manner of scabby old shit about the mud, lumps and bumps
and fell off many many times.
When we were old enough to get on the road, control was a peice of piss
and traffic density was nothing compared to today and tests were easier too.

Riding is a skill that has to be practised so don't get down about a slow start
and a certain degree of nervousness isn't bad thing either.
Over confidence will kill you quicker than caution.

Don't compare yourself to others or listen to 'I did it all in a week' bullshit
as it take as long as it takes.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 17:30 - 13 Nov 2016    Post subject: Re: Hello Reply with quote

TangoBike wrote:
I have my fourth lesson tomorrow.

But you're not out on the road yet?

Any chance you've got performance anxiety? If you're still struggling but determined, you could consider completing your CBT on a twist-and-go then getting yourself a 125 and riding around for a bit without being observed every second.

Dave_80
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 20:59 - 13 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the slow speed stuff daunting at first and couldn't quite get it right,but biggest part of that I think was looking at front of bike instead of where I wanted to go and not having enough revs on.keep at it though,on my cbt there was a young lad who had never ridden and wanted to give up because he couldn't master the clutch and kept stalling.by the end of the session after a bit of encouragement he was riding around looking quite pleased he hadn't given up.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:20 - 13 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

The faces I'm pulling are all sorts of funny. Why exactly have you even touched, let alone rode, a 600cc, or attempted to, when you haven't even completed your CBT? Seems counter productive to put you on a machine your not ready for.

Four "lessons"? What do you mean by lessons. How many hours and how much and what exactly are you doing? Sounds like you're funds are being taken for a ride. The CBT is as simple as it gets: a morning on the car park and a two hour afternoon ride. I mean simple as in how it's set out and to complete. Shouldn't be this long winded. I say find a different training school and if you can't complete it with them on a 125 do it on a scooter to get through it and then learn gears in your own time on quiet local roads.

If you've ridden, or attempted to, a 600cc then I can see why you wont want to go above 15mph. Riding a 125 on the roads was daunting enough for the first time let alone trying to tame a 600cc in the early days. Things are progressive for a reason. You've no reason to beat yourself up at all if you're being pushed towards riding a bigger bike for whatever reason way before your ready.

Story needs more clarification IMO.

Dave70
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:47 - 13 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really struggled with clutch control at first, as do many newbies. Just stick with it and it'll soon click into place.

U turns on the mod 1 were a b'stard too. I could do them fine when on my own but, add in the fact it's a test and there's someone actively watching your every move and I'd fall to bits and mess it up.

One thing that helped me through mod 1 (after the third time Embarassed ) was actually the examiner I had. The guy had a natural gift of making you feel relaxed (some others were like a bull dog chewing a wasp type of examiner).

Imagine my delight, when I got the same guy for my second mod 2 attempt, as opposed to the first one, who I thought was going to try and rip my head off in the "why I've failed you discussion" afterwards. Shocked Laughing

Stick with it, you'll get there. Even if you just get your CBT sorted and gain some experience on a 125 for a four years bit.

Good luck. Thumbs Up

BTW. Where are you based? Some folk on here may be able to recommend a riding school to you.

2012: R125 killed by white van. 2016 R125 killed by 30,000 miles of redline. Current: 2016 Kawasaki ER6f.

6r4h4m
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 23:17 - 15 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

TangoBike wrote:
The instructor has offered a one to one lesson next week rather than group to see if that helps. Think I'll take him up on it to see if it does. Then I'll see about completing the CBT & look at a 125.

You are bound to think your current instructor is a really good guy. The more time and money you invest in him, the more likely you are to think he's really good.

So let's just say, maybe he is one of the good guys. But maybe he's not the right one for you. The definition of madness is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting it to get better - so don't get mad, try something (someone) different just for one session.

Best of luck with it.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 163 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1