Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

yamaha thunderace opinions.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:09 - 17 Feb 2021    Post subject: yamaha thunderace opinions. Reply with quote

the bike looks to have a manageable seat height. 31.3inches according to mcn. and ive seen Richard Hammond riding one on youtube, so i reckon i could too Laughing
apparently hes an inch shorter than me Shocked

what are peoples opinion of this machine?

its just become another potential on my ever expanding list.

oddly the thundercat seems to have a taller seat.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:08 - 17 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 5'4 (and a half) and I had no trouble with an fzr1000 which the Thunderace replaced.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:26 - 17 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
I'm 5'4 (and a half) and I had no trouble with an fzr1000 which the Thunderace replaced.

thats good to know. thanks Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:16 - 18 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two friends who've owned them previously. Both regret ever getting rid of them.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:11 - 18 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

xX-Alex-Xx wrote:
I have two friends who've owned them previously. Both regret ever getting rid of them.

that sounds promising Thumbs Up

i cant find many owner reviews for them online. im guessing that they wernt very popular at the time, because people wanted blades, gsxrs and the r1?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 09:34 - 18 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:
xX-Alex-Xx wrote:

that sounds promising Thumbs Up

i cant find many owner reviews for them online. im guessing that they wernt very popular at the time, because people wanted blades, gsxrs and the r1?

The R1 replaced it....

droog
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 09:56 - 18 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had one.

Great bike - very fast, loads of power and comfortable enough to make a decent sports tourer, Yamaha blue spot brakes up front, handles very well and is a lot lighter and nimbler than it looks. Robust construction and ultra - reliable. Possibly one of the best value (alongside the ZX9R) used old school litre sports bikes on the market in my opinion.

There is one issue I should mention - which is the relatively high oil consumption* - (due to production related problems with the cylinder bores and oil getting past the rings) - I would usually have to top up the oil once every 400 miles - usually about 150ml to get it back to the upper level mark on the sight glass and to ensure it never got near the lower level mark. If I was going to do any distance I would take a small quart bottle of oil with me and check the levels when filling up at petrol stations etc - but the bike was very cheap to buy and so good in every other area that I was happy to overlook this one flaw - to me it was not really a big deal - you just had to keep an eye on the oil level.

*Although the oil consumption issue is common - not everyone experiences it - some owners didn't report any problems with oil consumption.

Also the exup valve will seize if it's not lubed up with high temp grease periodically - if the valve is seized the fault is displayed by the rev counter needle which rises to 7k rpm and bounces back to zero again.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 09:59 - 18 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Droog wrote:
I
There is one issue I should mention - which is the relatively high oil consumption* - (due to production related problems with the cylinder bores and oil getting past the rings) - I would usually have to top up the oil once every 400 miles - usually about 150ml to get it back to the upper level mark on the sight glass and to ensure it never got near the lower level mark. If I was going to do any distance I would take a small quart bottle of oil with me and check the levels when filling up at petrol stations etc - but the bike was very cheap to buy and so good in every other area that I was happy to overlook this one flaw - to me it was not really a big deal - you just had to keep an eye on the oil level.

Yamaha had the same issue with every bike in the FZ lineage from about 87 onwards. Kickstart mentioned something about they changed the design of the piston and thats when they started to drink oil.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:08 - 18 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

The R1 replaced it....

i was going by wikipedia which claims the r1 came out in 98 and the ace was in production until 03?.

droog
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 10:11 - 18 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Yamaha had the same issue with every bike in the FZ lineage from about 87 onwards. Kickstart mentioned something about they changed the design of the piston and thats when they started to drink oil.

Interesting - I wasn't aware of that - I thought it was just a factory machining issue limited to the Thunderace.

I'm suprised Yamaha hadn't got on top of the issue by the time they were producing the Thunderace (mid-90's onwards).

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:11 - 18 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Droog wrote:

*Although the oil consumption issue is common - not everyone experiences it - some owners didn't report any problems with oil consumption.

Also the exup valve will seize if it's not lubed up with high temp grease periodically - if the valve is seized the fault is displayed by the rev counter needle which rises to 7k rpm and bounces back to zero again.

thank you for the info Thumbs Up

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:18 - 18 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Thundercat and Thunderace both stayed in production alongside their “replacements” (R6 and R1) and were sort of re-classified as sports-tourers, handing the supersport/superbike batons to the new bikes. Both ‘Thunder’ bikes suffered in the shadow of equivalent Hondas (CBR600 and FireBlade) but both were also effectively facelifts of the previous FZR models.

droog
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 10:20 - 18 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:
thank you for the info Thumbs Up

No worries Very Happy

Take a look at the later generation ZX9R also - I never had one but from what I know it's a brilliant bike- similar big, old school litre sports bike like the Ace - and I think is in a similar price range - so is excellent value for money.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:27 - 18 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Droog wrote:

Take a look at the later generation ZX9R also - I never had one but from what I know it's a brilliant bike- similar big, old school litre sports bike like the Ace - and I think is in a similar price range - so is excellent value for money.

i already have and its on my short list too, thanks.
its just a case of waiting for something to come up locally at a sensible price.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:37 - 18 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Droog wrote:
I

Is this only something that happens if you cane it a lot, or does it occur with gentler usage too?
I've always found that the FZS1000 will use a bit of oil if you're enthusiastic with the throttle a lot, but not otherwise.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

droog
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 15:12 - 18 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Is this only something that happens if you cane it a lot, or does it occur with gentler usage too? I've always found that the FZS1000 will use a bit of oil if you're enthusiastic with the throttle a lot, but not otherwise.

Yes - for tame, commuter type riding with relatively moderate revs oil consumption was not too bad - but on a ride-out when the tacho needle spent sustained periods in the upper rev range oil consumption could become more serious (hence checking the oil level at petrol stops and the quart bottle of oil in the tank bag for top ups), not ideal - but it was such a lot of bike for such little money I wasn't overly bothered.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:21 - 18 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, the FZS1000 never got to the point when I'd have to carry some oil with me, not even on very long tours in hot weather with a bit of caning here and there.
I never noticed a problem when I had my FZR1000 EXUP (same engine as the 'Ace isn't it?), but then I never had that long enough (from new) to really judge. Certainly never occurred to me to carry oil with that, even on long trips (longest I did was from northern Germany to Le Mans and back one weekend, plenty of caning). Thinking Maybe by the end of ownership it was running on just a thin layer of remaining lube and an empty sump, and I wrote it off before it could lunch itself Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

droog
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 15:33 - 18 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Ah, the FZS1000 never got to the point when I'd have to carry some oil with me, not even on very long tours in hot weather with a bit of caning here and there.
I never noticed a problem when I had my FZR1000 EXUP (same engine as the 'Ace isn't it?), but then I never had that long enough (from new) to really judge. Certainly never occurred to me to carry oil with that, even on long trips (longest I did was from northern Germany to Le Mans and back one weekend, plenty of caning). Thinking Maybe by the end of ownership it was running on just a thin layer of remaining lube and an empty sump, and I wrote it off before it could lunch itself Laughing

Yeah, same engine as the Ace. The severity of the oil consumption issue experienced with the FZR1000 engine does seem to vary - from non-existent on some bikes, to moderate (like my bike), to very bad - based on the owner's reports that I read on various Yamaha forums over the years.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:52 - 18 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Droog wrote:

Yeah, same engine as the Ace. The severity of the oil consumption issue experienced with the FZR1000 engine does seem to vary - from non-existent on some bikes, to moderate (like my bike), to very bad - based on the owner's reports that I read on various Yamaha forums over the years.

Interesting. Well, I only ever owned the one FZR, but am on my 5th FZS, and those have all been about the same, so seems to have been a thing (sometimes) only with that one engine. I wonder what makes it so?

droog
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 16:33 - 18 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Interesting. Well, I only ever owned the one FZR, but am on my 5th FZS, and those have all been about the same, so seems to have been a thing (sometimes) only with that one engine. I wonder what makes it so?

Yeah - my knowledge on the causes of the excessive oil consumption is fairly limited - but as mentioned there seems to have been an engineering issue with the piston/bore design - not serious enough to require a recall - but something that has been noted by owners.

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:40 - 19 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Droog wrote:
... there seems to have been an engineering issue with the piston/bore design - not serious enough to require a recall - but something that has been noted by owners.

Is it fixable with aftermarket, post production pistons/rings?

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:16 - 19 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeffyjeff wrote:
Droog wrote:
... there seems to have been an engineering issue with the piston/bore design - not serious enough to require a recall - but something that has been noted by owners.

i think some people replace with a big bore kit that fixes the issue?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:18 - 19 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:
jeffyjeff wrote:

You'd need to be pretty happy with the model to go to the bother, I'd have thought.
Britabroad This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:54 - 19 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Britabroad wrote:
to v or not to v wrote:

Do you actually own a 'bike mate??

no i dont mate. does that make me a lesser person?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 66 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2