Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

lifeisforlivi...
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 23:30 - 18 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spy wrote:

Thanks guys.

Would you say the PCX has more leg protection over the SH/Vespa design ?

Yes, feet are well out of the way of spray from road on PCX. Add a taller screen on pcx and it should keep water off chest too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:20 - 19 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

lifeisforliving wrote:
LeeW wrote:
Get a PCX, I bought one last week and can't fault it.

If you haven't already, modifying the transmission with malossi multivar and replacing the exhaust with a full system will give you better acceleration, power, torque. Top end you should see another 5mph, total cost would be £300ish for parts then either fit yourself or pay labour. The standard exhaust is fine but a bit heavy and rusts if ridden in the wet a lot or through winter. I would definitely recommend those two mods. Maybe also a taller screen too.

£300 for 5mph Shocked

keep it standard except the screen and you will be laughing Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Spy
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 10:24 - 19 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

lifeisforliving wrote:
LeeW wrote:

If you haven't already, modifying the transmission with malossi multivar and replacing the exhaust with a full system will give you better acceleration, power, torque. Top end you should see another 5mph, total cost would be £300ish for parts then either fit yourself or pay labour. The standard exhaust is fine but a bit heavy and rusts if ridden in the wet a lot or through winter. I would definitely recommend those two mods. Maybe also a taller screen too.

Thanks, useful tips.

I will head over to Motorcycle Live and sit on a few to at least get a feel for size and ergonomics

lifeisforlivi...
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 15:56 - 19 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

£300 for 5mph Shocked

keep it standard except the screen and you will be laughing Laughing[/quote]

£97 quid for 5mph more and a better acceleration isn't bad, 5mph is the difference between overtaking and not overtaking things on dual carriage ways. It also lets the PCX down hill top out around 73 mph.

The exhaust is optional but if you are commuting year round it is expensive to have to keep replacing the stock Honda exhaust, you might as well keep it for when you sell it to retain value. The PCX stock is not good on dual carriage ways so if you are hitting higher speeds I would definately consider a Malossi multivar.

lifeisforlivi...
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 16:16 - 19 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going next Sunday, I want to try and test ride a KTM 390 duke to see if I could live with it. The things I want to test like how easy is it to get the front up and can it be easily put it up on the front wheel are probably out of question as I think they follow you instead of letting you just go out on them.

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:05 - 19 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

lifeisforliving wrote:
£300 for 5mph Shocked

keep it standard except the screen and you will be laughing Laughing

£97 quid for 5mph more and a better acceleration isn't bad, 5mph is the difference between overtaking and not overtaking things on dual carriage ways. It also lets the PCX down hill top out around 73 mph.

The exhaust is optional but if you are commuting year round it is expensive to have to keep replacing the stock Honda exhaust, you might as well keep it for when you sell it to retain value. The PCX stock is not good on dual carriage ways so if you are hitting higher speeds I would definately consider a Malossi multivar.[/quote]

lived with mine for over a year before it got driven into never had a problem with it

wasn't sluggish compered to any other 125cc scooters I owned
and I preferred the riding position to the 400cc burgman I had

LeeW
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 18:15 - 19 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

lifeisforliving wrote:
LeeW wrote:

I haven't done anything to it as yet as I've only just bought it.

I will bare the above in mind but early thoughts are great seems plenty quick enough for my needs as it stands.

I must say I have considered a taller screen but bit worried it will ruin the styling that the stock screen gives.

lifeisforlivi...
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 02:12 - 20 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't done anything to it as yet as I've only just bought it.

I will bare the above in mind but early thoughts are great seems plenty quick enough for my needs as it stands.

I must say I have considered a taller screen but bit worried it will ruin the styling that the stock screen gives.[/quote]

Screen might be a good option but yeah it might ruin looks.

lifeisforlivi...
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 02:21 - 20 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="andyscooter"][quote="lifeisforliving"]£300 for 5mph Shocked

One of the best 125's around, I had a Sym Simply 2 and it was terrible, slow, 70mpg, small fuel tank. I sold it after 4 months and got a bike but missed storage and weather protection, running costs so took a punt on the PCX over a 200cc Gilera runner. It has been out standing as a commuter. Headlights are better than most bikes.e]

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:54 - 20 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb129/andyscooters/pcxpics001_zps392747e7.jpg

screen didnt look that bad imo

myvision
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:08 - 20 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lump on the PCX seat is uncomfortable it's completely in the wrong position.

lifeisforlivi...
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 15:48 - 20 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

myvision wrote:
The lump on the PCX seat is uncomfortable it's completely in the wrong position.

It is only on the older version and can be taken off on the older model.

Spy
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 17:42 - 20 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the comments.

At the moment I am leaning towards the PCX.

Probably won't do any upgrades until I see how it feels, apart from a larger screen for the winter. The photo Andy posted doesn't make it look too bad. @andyscooter do you know which screen that is ?

Having had a quick look at used PCX bikes on Autotrader and eBay, relatively new ones (couple of years old) with low mileage seem to be around £2k.

That does not feel like it is a big enough difference to the new price (maybe even smaller when you factor any potential dealer discount) to justify a used purchase with unknown treatment etc.

The interest free deal also looks attractive, paying £100 a month Vs tying up £2k on a used bike is attractive.

Will head over to the NEC next week and sit on a few I am considering to get a feel for them. The Piaggio Medley looks interesting as a contender against the SH or PCX.

lifeisforlivi...
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 20:47 - 20 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I paid 1800 quid 7k miles and just over a year old on a 14 plate for mine. I have a phone / sat nav holder on the bars. I average 6k miles a year so aim to keep it until I have clocked up about 25k miles and then sell it on. I think it is worth getting the newer model because of the new styling, increased tank size and full LED headlights.

0% finance is always a good choice if you intend to keep it for 3-4 years.

MarkJF
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:43 - 25 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too had a PCX as a 2nd bike for my commute, couldn't fault it, for the price you can pick up low mileage ones, they are great. I preferred it to my previous Majesty 250 which was lardy in comparison.

But, it was a plastic "thing" and I didn't care for it or about it. If I was to got the auto route again (unlikely) I'd buy the Vespa, care for it and keep it.

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:02 - 26 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

screen was a givi screen I think

you can get one with hand guards on it as well but that looked shite imo

barrkel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:01 - 26 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

In your position I'd get a SH125. I know andyscooter doesn't rate the flat foostep area, but it's the best place to put a bunch of shopping. Topbox is at the end of a lever bounced around by the rear suspension - hit a bump and anything in there gets a good rattling. I keep my chain, waterproofs, luggage straps etc. underneath my seat, there's not a huge amount of space left over (on a SH300 with a bigger engine and so less space, mind). That leaves the baggage hook. You can get air off a speed bump and not break an egg.

I don't like the styling of the PCX125 - I think they're trying to look like something they're not. And I prefer the larger 16 inch wheels on an SH, but 14 inches is fine. There was a world of difference between the 14 inch wheels I had on my PS125 vs the 10 inch ones on my Vity. Completely different handling - so much more stability at speed. You'll want that on dual carriageways.

Small wheels are why I'd never consider a Vespa for anything practical.

I think tall scooter screens are worthless in British weather. If it rains, it's horrific trying to see through them, particularly at city speeds where there isn't enough wind blast to clear them. Wind blast is greatly reduced at higher speeds though. I did a mini-tour of Scotland on a scooter with a screen I bought in Carlisle, in misty rain it was lethal. I had to stay in the hotel.

If I never had to do any shopping or didn't carry around a chain, a PCX would just about do. Don't forget that under-seat gets warm too, another bad thing for shopping.

Spy
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 10:35 - 27 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andy for the heads up on the screen.

Barrkel, that is a great post and has a lot of useful things to consider that I never thought of.

For me, the downside of the SH (like most flat footstep scoots) is that there is no room to spread your legs if you start getting uncomfortable.

I am 5' 11" and they feel a little bit cramped. Saying that, the Vespa GTS seemed to have a little more room.

I don't need to do any shopping really, just carry my work bag. I am guessing that when riding, the work bag and locks can go under the seat and when I get to my destination, I will take out the bag and lock and put my helmet in.

I visited Motorcycle Live yesterday and as I thought, it has confused me once again.

I looked at the PCX and it is a nice bike but I do prefer the slightly larger bikes, but not quite maxi size (or what I think is maxi size).

The bikes that I liked the look and feel of, having sat on them, were:
1) Honda Forza
2) Peugeot Satelis 2
3) Yamaha X Max
4) Kawasaki J125

Unfortunately, these are priced more than I would like to spend. My ideal budget is a max of £3k (if I can finance it) or £2k cash.

The PCX fits nicely into this but it is not my first choice at the moment.

The Forza is above my budget and even on the used market, they are still not close.

With the Yamaha XMax, I don't have a dealer near enough to me and as people suggest, dealer support is useful, so I may have to rule that out.

Like the Forza, the Kawasaki J125 is too new to be within my budget.

This leaves the Satelis 2. There are first gen used Satelis in my budget but it is quite old design/tech so would prefer the gen 2 but there don't seem to be any used examples knocking around near me even though it came out in 2012/13.

Given the above, are there any others I may have missed that I should consider. Key things I would like is
- a dealer near me for support: I have Honda, Peugeot, Kymco, Zontes, Motorini, Hyosung and Neco near me. I can get to a Yamaha and Kawasaki dealer but they are not as near as I would like.
- a similar size
- full 15bhp engine with good acceleration off the lights
- fits a full size helmet beneath the seat
- has a 'glovebox' with 12v socket for charging phone or plugging in a satnav.
- decent legroom
- Combined braking or ABS

Also, on a side note, despite my comment on the SH above, I was quite taken by the Peugeot Django as an alternative to the Vespa but looking at the specs, they don't seem that powerful (and have small wheels) - anyone owned one of these ?

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:03 - 27 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

barrkel wrote:
In your position I'd get a SH125. I know andyscooter doesn't rate the flat foostep area, but it's the best place to put a bunch of shopping. Topbox is at the end of a lever bounced around by the rear suspension - hit a bump and anything in there gets a good rattling. I keep my chain, waterproofs, luggage straps etc. underneath my seat, there's not a huge amount of space left over (on a SH300 with a bigger engine and so less space, mind). That leaves the baggage hook. You can get air off a speed bump and not break an egg.

I don't like the styling of the PCX125 - I think they're trying to look like something they're not. And I prefer the larger 16 inch wheels on an SH, but 14 inches is fine. There was a world of difference between the 14 inch wheels I had on my PS125 vs the 10 inch ones on my Vity. Completely different handling - so much more stability at speed. You'll want that on dual carriageways.

Small wheels are why I'd never consider a Vespa for anything practical.

I think tall scooter screens are worthless in British weather. If it rains, it's horrific trying to see through them, particularly at city speeds where there isn't enough wind blast to clear them. Wind blast is greatly reduced at higher speeds though. I did a mini-tour of Scotland on a scooter with a screen I bought in Carlisle, in misty rain it was lethal. I had to stay in the hotel.

If I never had to do any shopping or didn't carry around a chain, a PCX would just about do. Don't forget that under-seat gets warm too, another bad thing for shopping.

the screen wasn't too bad as you look over it rather then through it

never had a problem with warmth getting under the seat as there is an insulating layer between that and the engine and the size of the storage was good I could fit my lid and jacket under the seat
never fitted a top box to it as never needed it

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:10 - 27 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spy wrote:

The bikes that I liked the look and feel of, having sat on them, were:
1) Honda Forza
2) Peugeot Satelis 2
3) Yamaha X Max
4) Kawasaki J125

This leaves the Satelis 2. There are first gen used Satelis in my budget but it is quite old design/tech so would prefer the gen 2 but there don't seem to be any used examples knocking around near me even though it came out in 2012/13.

Also, on a side note, despite my comment on the SH above, I was quite taken by the Peugeot Django as an alternative to the Vespa but looking at the specs, they don't seem that powerful (and have small wheels) - anyone owned one of these ?

my opinions of the scooters you liked

1) Honda Forza too pricey for a 125
2) Peugeot Satelis 2 Peugeot have a rep of crap reliability
3) Yamaha X Max cracking scoot but rare as they were expensive to buy new
4) Kawasaki J125 loved the 300 I rode never knew the 125 had come out kymco do the same scooter cheaper

also the Django looks ok but again you get the low leg shields so end up with wet knees also has a low powered Chinese engine in it for some unknown reason and looks like a fat vespa

Spy
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 12:05 - 27 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyscooter wrote:

my opinions of the scooters you liked

1) Honda Forza too pricey for a 125
2) Peugeot Satelis 2 Peugeot have a rep of crap reliability
3) Yamaha X Max cracking scoot but rare as they were expensive to buy new
4) Kawasaki J125 loved the 300 I rode never knew the 125 had come out kymco do the same scooter cheaper

also the Django looks ok but again you get the low leg shields so end up with wet knees also has a low powered Chinese engine in it for some unknown reason and looks like a fat vespa

Thanks again Andy.

TBH, the Django is more for the styling and doesn't quite fit my requirements. They had some nice colours though Wink

I agree, the Forza is a great bike but I just don't want to spend that much. The Kawasaki J125 was released this year so new model. Which is the equivalent Kymco ? Is it exactly the same mechanically ?

I have to admit, although the PCX is not top of my list, it does seem to provide the best value package. The Yamaha Nmax was also a nice bike but I didn't like the 'glovebox' as it had no 12v socket or a cover, it was just a hole !

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:19 - 28 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

pretty sure its the kymco downtown (yes I know its a stupid name)

they also do a 300cc version and its the same but a different colour

Spy
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 21:16 - 28 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyscooter wrote:
pretty sure its the kymco downtown (yes I know its a stupid name)

they also do a 300cc version and its the same but a different colour

Thanks Andy
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 142 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2