Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

diagnostic software for bikes?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

mas101
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 17:57 - 16 Nov 2016    Post subject: diagnostic software for bikes? Reply with quote

Since there will shortly be a requirement for all bikes to meet EU pollution rules - requiring fuel injection - and to have ABS fitted, I was wondering what diag tools are available for bikes?

Do bikes support the same protocols as cars? I can find some references to CANBUS systems, but nothing definitive about the protocols.

Question prompted because on my ebay trawls I found a bike with FI light on so unknown fault. (as an aside that would be an MOT fail on a car - same on a bike?)

cheers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:25 - 16 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi your best bet is to get an adapter to output to an OBD II bluetooth adapter, then you can use the torque android app, the read, and if need be write to the ecu.

Eg, Ducati, CFMoto and probably others use a 3PIN Flat adapter, so, if you get a an adapter to get it to an obd II interface .. such as

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3Pin-OBD-to-16Pin-OBD2-Diagnostic-Adapter-Connector-Cable-for-Fiat-Alfa-Lancia-/261596861547?hash=item3ce863546b:g:HGcAAOSwfcVUGaKi

Then
get an ELM327 OBD II Bluetooth interface

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/371434383245?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Then, use the torque app on an android device ..

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.prowl.torque&hl=en

So, the first thing you need to find out, what interfcae is needed to connect to the ecu for obd.

Then get the relevant adpter to OBD II interface ..and so on.

Of course, you could be really lucky, and the bike might already have an ELM327 interface socket.

Cheers

Tony

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:43 - 17 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's an interesting question, but I don't have an answer.

As of January 1st, (pretty much) all new bikes sold in the EU should have some form of OBD socket, but to the best of my knowledge Brussels didn't actually specify any standard. BMW, for example, are still using 20-pin round connectors with a custom protocol. Some owners have reported limited success with using a 20-pin to OBD-2 converter and generic or hooky Russki software, with warnings that bricking bikes is possible.

I fully expect that most smaller capacity bikes will ship with token OBD functionality at best.

It might actually have been useful for owners if Brussels had mandated actual OBD II, but that would have upset the Bavarians, so I think it'll be a while yet before we see any sort of consistency.

mas101
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 10:33 - 17 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, gives me something to look at. I've always bought dealer level diag stuff for cars that I've owned, might be quite expensive as an up front cost but certainly worth it if/when any obscure problem pops up.

Typically the generic kit does the main engine management code reading, but it seems to need dealer level kit to talk to other modules - like ABS.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 5 years, 308 days between these two posts...
Mailly1 This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Spam). Unhide this post / all posts.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 210 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1