16%
 16%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 37

Jimmydoodaa
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:25 - 17 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

wr6133 wrote:
The ER6 is depressingly boring

Why's that? I've spent the past 13 or so years riding a 55 year old vespa with 8'' wheels. I'm not sure anything's going to be particularly boring to be honest.

Dave_80
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 23:04 - 17 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been learning on a aprilia shiver 750,easy enough bike to handle even for a divvy like me.bit different from others suggested but a nice bike with good comfort,can't recommend anything else as not ridden anything else but something other to consider?

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:40 - 17 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jimmydoodaa wrote:
Why's that?

Boring power delivery, sounds like a sewing machine. Probably why lots of schools use them, probably why it'd be a good commuter.

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:32 - 18 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

wr6133 wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:
What makes an FZ6 S2 a better daily commuter than an ER6?

The ER6 is depressingly boring, no idea what the FZ is like but I can't believe it could possibly be as dull as the ER.

Though I suppose the above is actually a plus point for commuting.

FZS600 goes like a rocket at 7000rpm and above (for a semi-sporty 600), keep it at around 4000 rpm and is a commuting pussycat.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:53 - 18 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_Pagin wrote:
FZS600 goes like a rocket at 7000rpm and above (for a semi-sporty 600), keep it at around 4000 rpm and is a commuting pussycat.

At 30mph, 4000rpm apparently requires 1st gear on an FZS600 Oops, I had my slide rule set to Metric, but it's still pretty revvy. I tried one, I really liked it, but on a cold, hard analysis, I believe the fun tap turns on too high up for a commuter.

Subjective view, I know, but I'd urge OP to try both an IL4 and a 600+ twin, ideally on his commuter route, to experience the difference.

Also, OP is looking for a newer bike, i.e. the FZ6 S2, which is apparently ever revviererer.

Last edited by Rogerborg on 12:56 - 27 Nov 2016; edited 1 time in total

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:03 - 18 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jimmydoodaa wrote:
wr6133 wrote:
The ER6 is depressingly boring

Why's that? I've spent the past 13 or so years riding a 55 year old vespa with 8'' wheels. I'm not sure anything's going to be particularly boring to be honest.

I'm the other way I find my vespa with ten inch wheels and no power fun to ride
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Jimmydoodaa
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 13:06 - 18 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyscooter wrote:
I'm the other way I find my vespa with ten inch wheels and no power fun to ride

..me too... which means I'd prob be happy with a bike that's deemed to be a bit on the tame side.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:19 - 18 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

FZS600 / FZ6 / Hornet will be more exciting and fun when you're in the mood for it.

ER6 will be more restful when you just want to get home after a long week.

Neither is better, either will destroy 98% of other vehicles on the road should you be so inclined.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:03 - 18 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
FZS600 / FZ6 / Hornet will be more exciting and fun when you're in the mood for it.

ER6 will be more restful when you just want to get home after a long week.

Neither is better, either will destroy 98% of other vehicles on the road should you be so inclined.

Exactly. My missus loves her ER6. It's light, nimble and has plenty of power for the way she rides and very rarely she is ever overtaken by anything other than bikes. She has also owned a Bandit S (too heavy) and ridden our Fazer 600 hack (still too heavy and prefers the liner power of the twin).

It really is what you prefer.

Jimmydoodaa
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:23 - 18 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice everyone. I feel better informed, now just need to try some out. Ta.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:37 - 22 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

My XJ6 I still enjoy after three years and is my first big bike. Wish id got the faired version though. Easily in the 3.5k budget for a three or four year old one. Better than an ER6 maybe on a par with a Hornet but a tad cheaper.

Paris2
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 11:54 - 24 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fireblade

secretagentmo...
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 19:34 - 26 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can spend only a few quid and get a great bike.

Got my NTV 650 from Leigh (London) on Sea, bloke had refurbished it with a view to getting back on two wheels, found out it weighed a bit more than he thought he could handle and he sold it to us for £450 with new tyres on! £29 and half an hour at Lester's saw us with an MOT and me with 110 miles to ride home!

So £480 for a 650 V twin with a sub 6 second 0-60 time, nice steady handling, shaft drive, and capable of hauling 2up at 115mph (not that I have ever done that you understand, like I would not be able to tell you how annoying it is when the wife is battering the top of your crash helmet at 115mph with her fist). Great all year round commuter and more than capable of some fun in the twisties. Also enough left over from £500 to fill the damned tank up when we picked it up too!

Bozzy
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 23:06 - 02 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paris2 wrote:
Fireblade

Surprised it took until page 2 for that recommendation! Laughing

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:11 - 03 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I accidentally posted this in another thread...

Engine capacity isn't necessarily a good measure of how difficult a bike is to handle. Some larger bikes are really forgiving to ride where as some smaller ones have characteristics which make them a challenge, so it comes down to the individual bike I reckon.

With regard to the ER6. I don't find it boring, it's pretty nimble and I don't have much trouble keeping up with VFR800s, etc. It makes a great commuter as it is quite torquey and dead easy to blat about town on. I prefer the ER6 to the SV650, it's more comfortable and I find the engine has more character. The biggest downside is the budget suspension. At higher speeds the front crashes over bumps and the rear wallows when on an undulating or lumpy road which sometimes makes me slow down more than I might on something better suspended. This is only really an issue when really pressing on though, or when carrying a pillion. For 90% of my use of it it's fine.

It has also been pretty reliable over the last 3 years and approx 20k. I did replace the chain and sprockets as the chain developed a stiff link, the brake calipers benefit from regular cleaning and the rear sprocket carrier bearing failed as it wasn't the sealed type and salty water ruined it. I replaced it with a sealed one. Aside from that I've not had any issues at all and have only replaced normal consumables.

As a commuter used for occasional blasts it's a decent bike IMO. The only reason I want to upgrade is because I don't like carrying a pillion on it and I'd like more stability at high speed (could be fixed with new shock and fork emulators but I'd like something with more space for the pillion anyway). I wouldn't recommend it for anyone tall though. Too cramped.

All that said I think the Hornet/Fazer would probably be a more enjoyable toy. ER6 probably a bit more practical in town. Bandit I've never really been keen on. Personally for fun solo bike I think I;d be looking at the MT series, a duke 690 or something along those lines. Maybe a Tuono, I did enjoy that. Not the best commuters though IMO but I don't travel far so doesn't matter for me too greatly.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 113 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2