Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

So this happened...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Albigularis
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:14 - 17 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
A complaint to the IPCC along the lines of 'misconduct in public office' wouldn't go amiss either.

I think the IPCC are for England & Wales, we use the PIRC or something. It does seem fitting though, using a police interview room for a non-police/private matter. Even though it happened on "police" land, it's still private land where they have zero interference from what I can gather.

Tawny wrote:
Albigularis wrote:
Precisely why I didn't, they were rather aggressive considering the circumstances IMO, so I thought it best not to wind them up too much.

They tried it on because you were young, and two of the likely outcomes were: 1) you would get angry; 2) you would be intimidated. Situation (1), you look like you're at fault, and they 'need' to use police powers to warn or caution you. Forget about compensation for the damage. Situation (2), you go home and do nothing. No compensation, no damages, no investigation of the offending cop possibly having no insurance, etc.

So, the most important thing is to keep your head, because they try it again.

You have to make a claim, so the first thing to do is get professional legal advice. Just tell them the facts, and see what the solicitor has to say.

I'm glad I managed to toe the line well then.

Do we have a general go-to for motoring related legal advice? I'm sure people here usually recommend the same one but I can never remember who it is.

Fizzoid wrote:
Have you also checked if it's MOT'd?

https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history

And insured?

https://ownvehicle.askmid.com/

Already did, MOT and Insurance both check out. Her tax lapsed on the 1st of September.

Motorhate
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 15:30 - 17 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Albigularis wrote:
Already did, MOT and Insurance both check out. Her tax lapsed on the 1st of September.

Then she's screwed. That'll be the reason that they're being obstructive and obnoxious. Take her to the cleaners and show her that she's not above the law.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:54 - 17 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Albigularis wrote:
Her tax lapsed on the 1st of September.

lol$

bigdom86
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 15:59 - 17 Nov 2016    Post subject: re Reply with quote

ahhh nothing like a self-righteous power hungry copper, as above make her wish she didn't backchat you Twisted Evil

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 16:06 - 17 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

IPCC for sure. Thumbs Up

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 16:37 - 17 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

It needs to go via Scotplod Professional Standards first: https://www.scotland.police.uk/secureforms/police-complaints/

I'd note that temporary trespass is a civil tort in Scotland, the remedies being interdiction ("gonnae no") or damages (what loss did the land owner suffer)? Their threatening you with it as though it were a criminal matter is pig ignorant, although I'd pronounce that as malfeasance.

However, the primary goal is money-money-money. That's a civil matter between Albigularis and Senga McDibble, which is why I suggest just firing in with an invoice and getting the ball rolling.

Azoth
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 16:45 - 17 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know nothing of Scots law, but pursuing this matter with the relevant police complaints body is very important, and it should be done concurrently with your claim.

You will note that their Plan A was to leave the bike in a damaged state and watch you from a position of hiding. Plan B was to make contact with you and misuse police property to dissuade you from chasing them up for the damage. Plan B only came into operation when, from their position of hiding, they spied you taking a photograph of the scratch on the offending car.

Plan A involved leaving unattended a bike that was leaking fuel. The police knew the bike was leaking fuel and should have carried out a risk assessment at the scene, if necessary calling the fire brigade to make the area safe, to stop the leak and put down sand. They didn't do this. They put the public at risk and didn't take steps to make it safe. Make sure you mention that as part of your complaint.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:14 - 17 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or just gather your evidence, throw the insursance claim and see what happens.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 17:30 - 17 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would probably be the easiest, if least satisfying, route to compo.

No need to mention anything about it being private land. That's for her to argue, if she's truly dim enough to make herself personally liable.

Motorhate
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 17:44 - 17 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm... Private land, no tax? Surely that's immaterial or should she have SORN'd it? And if there's no tax then surely insurance not valid?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

tom_e
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 17:49 - 17 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Motorhate wrote:
Hmmm... Private land, no tax? Surely that's immaterial or should she have SORN'd it? And if there's no tax then surely insurance not valid?

It must be SORN'd and when SORN'd must be kept off the road on private land, it can't just be left on private land untaxed.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 18:00 - 17 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

No VED is OK unless it's actually on a road (as opposed to a public place).

This played to my advantage when my first car caught fire in a car park when it was "between" VED. Whistle As soon as Dibble had seen the certificate of insurance, they had no further questions.

I wouldn't make an issue of it, it's not relevant to the claim.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:03 - 17 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

I wouldn't make an issue of it, it's not relevant to the claim.

Should have stayed in car park and then internetted it in front of cops before going in for shits and giggles.

Unless, of course, CCTV is provided showing car being driven into carpark.

Then bring it up....

J4mes
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:05 - 17 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

In for later, and just to say:

1, please follow the advice on here and run with it

2, for the love of God please keep us updated!

Thumbs Up

Hahadumball
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:12 - 17 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like a fucking cock i say screw them over and make an example out of them.

go to the papers innit

The law being above the law
Copper shocker: mows down motorcycle in untaxed vehicle
50,000 dead in untaxed police vehicle massacre

mikester
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 18:21 - 17 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disgusting behaviour by those officers if it played out how you said it has.

You should complain directly by 101 first before going to your equivalent of the IPCC. Who was the cop that brought you inside, her sgt or just another officer?

I know people don't believe that complaints against police made to the force direct go anywhere but believe me they do, even the most petty get logged and have to be looked at by the officers supervisor.

Professional standard departments within forces are ruthless in investigating their own, don't believe what left wing propaganda is out there about corruption and cops getting away with stuff. People have lost their job over stupid administrative mistakes let alone driving into motorbikes and abusing their position like has occurred here.

Chase this, don't let these two chumps continue ruining the reputation for others in the job who are decent cops.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:41 - 17 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikester wrote:
Disgusting behaviour by those officers if it played out how you said it has.

You should complain directly by 101 first before going to your equivalent of the IPCC. Who was the cop that brought you inside, her sgt or just another officer?

I know people don't believe that complaints against police made to the force direct go anywhere but believe me they do, even the most petty get logged and have to be looked at by the officers supervisor.

Professional standard departments within forces are ruthless in investigating their own, don't believe what left wing propaganda is out there about corruption and cops getting away with stuff. People have lost their job over stupid administrative mistakes let alone driving into motorbikes and abusing their position like has occurred here.

Chase this, don't let these two chumps continue ruining the reputation for others in the job who are decent cops.

I take it that you are filth then? Doesn't bother me, btw. There's at least one of my aquaintance in here.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 18:50 - 17 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe wrote:
It's quite possible the police don't have an insurance company and you will be dealing with them directly.

Its also quite possible that this is misconduct in public office. Attempting to use the fact that she is a Police officer and using Police property, an interview room to to stave off a private claim against herself.
I'd be talking to the duty officer assuming this isn't a troll thread.

Quote Me Happy

PostPosted: 18:54 - 17 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
Its also quite possible that this is misconduct in public office. Attempting to use the fact that she is a Police officer and using Police property, an interview room to to stave off a private claim against herself.

Agreed, I think the officer has landed herself in the proverbial brown stuff.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:02 - 17 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

To the best of my knowledge, every government agency/department self-insures for core work, mainly because it works out cheaper than insuring all the vehicles/drivers.

Albigularis
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:41 - 18 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikester wrote:

I think she was his sgt actually...

So after 101, what would you say was the best course? IPCC equivalent or wait for contact afterwards?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:32 - 18 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:

OP's legit.

I agree with stinkwheel that if you want your bike paid for, it's probably best to go straight to her insurers. She hasn't told them? Not your problem.

Also, I'd fire in with a Subject Access Request to the cop shop asking for:

Arrow CCTV of the car park (even if they said there wasn't any) and any footage that they have of you.
Arrow A recording of the conversation that the coppers had with you, while on duty, using police facilities. Video, audio, transcript.

£10 well spent, I'd say.

If you want piss on their chips, then there's a defined route:

Rogerborg wrote:
It needs to go via Scotplod Professional Standards first: https://www.scotland.police.uk/secureforms/police-complaints/

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:14 - 18 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

thread is so delivering right now

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125
ZX-7R This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

DJP
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 11:04 - 20 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that people are missing the point.

A private motorist knocked over the OP's bike. Simple as that.

It's a straightforward insurance claim.

The fact that she's a police officer is irrelevant: She wasn't driving a police vehicle and presumably wasn't acting in an official capacity at the time.

A complaint vs the police won't go anywhere because it's a private matter and re the conversation that took place in the nick, she'll just say that she was exchanging details with the OP as required after an RTC.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 160 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4