Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Finding local green lanes

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto
View previous topic : View next topic  

Azoth
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 17:39 - 17 Nov 2016    Post subject: Finding local green lanes Reply with quote

I found this excellent tool that finds byways:

https://www.trailwise.org.uk/gmaps/gmap.htm

I tested it, and discovered some roads I didn't know about before. However, there are lots of green areas in those same areas that I already know about, which would be suitable for greenlaning (although not strictly legal), which don't appear on this system. They may cross over into private property or be part of recreation/natural conservation grounds. Hardly anyone frequents those places, and the less people know the less they have to worry about.

Is there another, more comprehensive, resource available that would show such routes? The problem is, if you wanted to go greenlaning, there are no legal green lanes, although using other lanes might not cause any harm.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:33 - 18 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Trail Wise is okay, though not as upto date as it could be. I'm guilty myself of not updating it enough. I've got one lane near near me correctly signed by the council, who had it marked up as no motorcycles, when in fact it should have been open. There is no one comprehensive list AFAIK.

TRF and GLASS members can log in and do more with Trail Wise, though with perseverance you can actually get all the info anyway, just more laborious with the searching.

Thing is there are far more places to ride legally on the road, than just Byways Open to All Traffic as shown on an OS map.

There are forgotten roads, that still exist on the local authorities List of Streets. There are OPRA's Other Public Rights of Access, the still colloq. used term UCR's - Unclassified County Roads, (though I think not a legal term anymore).

As a member of the TRF I have found many more places that I can legally ride, normally by following my friends in the groups rides. And also, get free legal representation should there be an issue with what I am doing.

Andrew Dalton - the solicitor is one of the directors too.

Someone might hook you up with a GPX file of where you can ride, though just because it was legal when it was made, doesn't mean it still would be, cos TRO's etc

I can't give you any routes, as I learn all mine my memory, and use paper maps still.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Mawsley
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 09:24 - 19 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my first port of call for mapping out jaunts locally and the surrounds.

https://wtp2.appspot.com/wheresthepath.htm

I like the fact that routes aren't annotated, adds a bit to the journey of discovery.

Azoth
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 20:06 - 19 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a clever one! The WTP does a lot, and makes you feel like you're planning a black ops mission. Laughing Thanks guys.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 131 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1