Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

The Grand Tour.....

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

bugeye_bob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:06 - 20 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mawsley wrote:
bugeye_bob wrote:

Found this interview which I thought was interesting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVZIx9e592k

Found that more interesting than any car show to date.

After watching Andy talk you can see why Jeremy gets away with things, they are as bad as each other, so if that`s your boss . .

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:10 - 20 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watched it last night, it was a yet another TG/GT episode without the TG branding nor music. I still do not understand the hype behind the GT.

6/10 not bad, not excellent. Thumbs Up

bugeye_bob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:16 - 20 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
Watched it last night, it was a yet another TG/GT episode without the TG branding nor music. I still do not understand the hype behind the GT.

But look at the hype over things like Bake off! really,
There arent that many decent motoring shows around, so I guess this scratched a childish itch for many petrol heads.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:32 - 20 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

bugeye_bob wrote:
RhynoCZ wrote:

But look at the hype over things like Bake off! really,
There arent that many decent motoring shows around, so I guess this scratched a childish itch for many petrol heads.

You say not many decent motoring shows and say the GT is one? GT is not a motoring show, it's a comedy hour that happens to be about cars. It's just like when someone here said he liked realistic first person shooters and then said Call of Duty was a good one. Smile

There are a plenty of motoring shows, doing some actual motoring journalism. I mean car tests and reviews, road tests of cars that the ordinary folk can actually afford to buy etc.

brains_t
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 14:34 - 20 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rigga wrote:
They should have called it something else though, the name is shit Imo.

Well in their defence they are on a grand tour.

Thanks CaNsA,, keep it up

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi

PostPosted: 15:12 - 20 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's not to like about giving them 3 £160million and saying, make a car show?

Always enjoyed TG and now it's basically back but bigger and better, happy days!

Sun Wukong
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:28 - 20 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the link Cansa, downloading now Thumbs Up

I wonder what the Beeb can do about intellectual property?

Either way, will be good to see them do the same thing, but with occasional offended kittens.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:44 - 21 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoyed all the digs at the BBC. Other than that it was just the same old stuff.

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:26 - 21 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without reading other posts I'll say:

Enjoyed it.

Can tell they're allowing the more "racy" comments, for example, saying Gypsies don't drive insured vehicles and the use of the swears(!!)

Not sure I like "The American" though. He should be silent and just smash a car around the eboladrome.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 15:12 - 21 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was enjoyable certainly better than TG had been last series.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:47 - 21 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:

I actually enjoyed the last series of Top Gear (before it was taken off). The series before felt a bit stale and poorly written, but in the last one it felt like they had their mojo back.

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:50 - 21 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sun Wukong wrote:
I wonder what the Beeb can do about intellectual property

Given that JC was all over BBC radio last week, promoting it, I'd say the beeb have done what they can!
Considering that Top Gear was one of, if not the best selling tv programs in the world and considering the beeb's latest Top Gear offering didn't fair that well, there must be more than a few bean counters, at the beeb, with twicthy arse syndrome right now!

Sun Wukong
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:50 - 21 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye, just finished watching it.

Without the beeb on side, they couldn't have shot the intro as they did, or risked such blatant pisstaking.

Well put together, and clearly a big budget. Appealing to wider audience and a bit slapstick now, but the production is so high end now.

angryjonny
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:43 - 21 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was good. Looking forward to the next 35.

This episode was, apart from the intro and some buffooning, very car oriented... clearly because they'd got the P1, 918 and LaFerrari together at last, quite a coup that they never managed on Top Gear. I get the impression that at least some of the future episodes will be less hyper-car comparison and more building or breaking weird machines, playing with toys etc. No "news" section as it's all filmed well in advance. No Star in a Reasonably Priced Car because the BBC own that. Obvs no Stig. BBC could probably drag them through the courts for any "unknown" racing driver concept.

Anyway, it had the chemistry (maybe alchemy) that their Top Gear had and LeBlanc's was woefully missing. I wonder how long it'll be before the Beeb give up on Top Gear. They didn't change it enough, was the problem. I can understand why they didn't want to throw away a winning formula, but the formula went with these three and Wilman.

Apologies for Tef post. TL;DR = "GT was everything LeBlanc's TG wasn't"

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:04 - 21 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

angryjonny wrote:
It was good. Looking forward to the next 35.

This episode was, apart from the intro and some buffooning, very car oriented... clearly because they'd got the P1, 918 and LaFerrari together at last, quite a coup that they never managed on Top Gear. I get the impression that at least some of the future episodes will be less hyper-car comparison and more building or breaking weird machines, playing with toys etc. No "news" section as it's all filmed well in advance. No Star in a Reasonably Priced Car because the BBC own that. Obvs no Stig. BBC could probably drag them through the courts for any "unknown" racing driver concept.

Anyway, it had the chemistry (maybe alchemy) that their Top Gear had and LeBlanc's was woefully missing. I wonder how long it'll be before the Beeb give up on Top Gear. They didn't change it enough, was the problem. I can understand why they didn't want to throw away a winning formula, but the formula went with these three and Wilman.

Apologies for Tef post. TL;DR = "GT was everything LeBlanc's TG wasn't"

Pretty much my thoughts as well!
Just finished watching it, looking forward to the rest.
Are they doing one from Germany, should be interesting? Laughing
Also wonder if they've done one in Japan.
I'm not into cars really, just enjoy the three of 'em dcking around, and the general, non PC, irreverence, severely lacking on most TV!

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:09 - 21 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
chris-red wrote:

I actually enjoyed the last series of Top Gear (before it was taken off). The series before felt a bit stale and poorly written, but in the last one it felt like they had their mojo back.

You aren't talking about the Chris Evans series are you? Please say you aren't. Praying
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:39 - 21 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
M.C wrote:

You aren't talking about the Chris Evans series are you? Please say you aren't. Praying

Chris Evans never had a mojo. The last series of the Clarkson & Co. Top Gear. I stopped watching the Chris Evans/Matt LeBlanc effort about 10 minutes into the 2nd episode Folded arms

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:06 - 22 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

The beeb should have a car show. It needs to go back to basics though, maybe a more straight forward review show with maybe some interesting techie and history stuff. Just make sure not to call it Top Gear

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:10 - 22 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
The beeb should have a car show. It needs to go back to basics though, maybe a more straight forward review show with maybe some interesting techie and history stuff. Just make sure not to call it Top Gear

Like Fifth Gear? A more boorfest I cannot think of.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:32 - 22 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Ribenapigeon wrote:

Like Fifth Gear? A more boorfest I cannot think of.

No not like fifth gear. Like the Ki nd of quality the beeb used to be able to produce.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:38 - 22 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fifth gear was decent before they started trying to copy Top Gear. The presenters (Tiff/Vicky/Plato*) take themselves far too seriously though.

* presenters the last time I watched it

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 07:48 - 22 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
maybe a more straight forward review show

Problem being that nearly all modern cars are pretty decent, and pretty dull. How would they distinguish between them? Dashboard plastics, cupholders?

Also, where do you test them in the real world without running into real world reality?

Brother-Borg drives a succession of limited-to-Autobahn-speed lease cars, growly Jaaaags and Beetles Porches and such. Thing is, they spend most of their time crawling along the M77 in stop-start traffic. So... cupholders.

He took his Jaaag to a drag meet with his other corporate associates. They spent more time fiddling with their electronic settings than actually flooring the loud pedal in a straight line, then they all went at pretty much the same speed and stopped in pretty much the same distance without any drama or even excitement after the first couple of runs.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:34 - 22 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair cop for a straight revue show but the beeb needs to put TG in the rearview mirror and move on. Maybe do a show that's a broader transport themed idea, sort of Planes, Trains and Automobiles. There's always interest in anything that gets us from A to B. Get a few competent presenters like Mike Brewer and Henry Cole for nuts and bolts stuff then sling in a wild card like Dr Lucy Worsley for the softer social stuff. Cole could be off having a look at some nutty rally, Brewer taking a trip round a supercar factory then over to Dr L for a bit of design history of ocean liners or something. Make it a low key evening timeslot and just get on with it.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:10 - 22 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
Fair cop for a straight revue show but the beeb needs to put TG in the rearview mirror and move on. Maybe do a show that's a broader transport themed idea, sort of Planes, Trains and Automobiles. There's always interest in anything that gets us from A to B. Get a few competent presenters like Mike Brewer and Henry Cole for nuts and bolts stuff then sling in a wild card like Dr Lucy Worsley for the softer social stuff. Cole could be off having a look at some nutty rally, Brewer taking a trip round a supercar factory then over to Dr L for a bit of design history of ocean liners or something. Make it a low key evening timeslot and just get on with it.

You mean as the token totty, yes please Wub

In seriousness, that would be no more or no less than another documentary from the documentary channel and get token viewing figures. I probably would enjoy it but then I watch programmes on how they make egg timers and such shit. Most TV watchers don't.

You know as well as I do that TG with the 3 stooges was a car programme that non car people enjoyed. My missus loved it and she has no interest in cars other than her convertible roof goes down when she presses the button. (It's a Renault and has issues).

BBC have lost a huge slice of revenue by booting Clarkson which, while they are not reliant on advertising, will still hurt.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 158 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10