Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

The Grand Tour.....

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:48 - 16 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaLwpoULKRY

Irn-Bru
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:52 - 17 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Second series is better than the first, still not brilliant though but perfectly watchable. Apart from the celeb interviews, I disliked them on TG and I still skip over them now.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:44 - 17 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irn-Bru wrote:
Second series is better than the first, still not brilliant though but perfectly watchable. Apart from the celeb interviews, I disliked them on TG and I still skip over them now.

Did the same in the second episode. Occasionally on old Top Gear they'd have someone funny, they seem to be struggling on GT. The canned laughter is very annoying, not all jokes are hilarious, and it looks ridiculous when the audience has a straight face but the audio suggests they're in hysterics.

Also I call BS about the woman being the quickest of the 'pro' drivers they interviewed, Amazon said they wanted an American last series, and she has a distinctly amateur record.

They do seem to have thought let's just do what we did before on top gear for this series. That isn't necessarily a bad thing, but a lot of it was already fairly tired. The public transport vs car race for example.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:23 - 19 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, they've already done pretty much everything doable. But they re-do it well.

It's focussed on cars, relatively little staged wankery so far, and the "celebrity" sections are indeed easily skippable. You know what you're getting. I quite enjoyed it and even genuinely lulled at the fallout from Hammond pulling another Smiler.

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:18 - 19 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm preferring the changes made, especially the new track for the challenges. I'm not fussed by a woman 'stig' driver, as it kind of makes it a bit more relateable. As long as they use the same person to do all the test times, the table will be accurate enough for lap times. Using someone like her makes me feel I might be able to make those times too. When a real pro is doing it, it just makes it all too 'out there'.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:20 - 19 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had they got someone like Sabine (oh wait she's on the other show) then no problem. But she's a shite club racer. I saw there was bawwing because they didn't name her (like with the American), so having some woman has already backfired Rolling Eyes

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:19 - 23 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Chiron thing is a wee bit quick.
I'm crowdfunding it as an uber if you wanna back me.

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:12 - 23 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

No way were those drivers just pulled out of an office. Unless the offices are filled with local club racers or track day heroes.

But other than that, each episode does have a single, epic story which is beautifully shot and produced and some of the banter is clearly unscripted and genuinely appears to have them cracking each other up. They don’t use their Wroughton track or reference driver as much, whereas the previous Dunsfold Top Gear Track and Stig were embedded in the show.

Irn-Bru
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:26 - 23 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I was thinking that too, defo would have been a bigger accident than hitting a few bins if they were real drivers.

Anyone notice JC re-used the same radiator fact about the Bugatti? Last time he said "more radiators than my house" for the Veyron this time it was "more radiators than my apartment". The turbos sound epic on that thing though Wub

Ben90
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 00:49 - 27 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hong Kong Phooey wrote:
That Chiron thing is a wee bit quick.

This is true, but it feels like Chris Harris reviewed this car about 6 months ago.. because he did.

Them production delays tho; Koenigsegg's new Agera was declared the fasterest production car almost 2 months ago Rolling Eyes

Good episode nonetheless.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:12 - 27 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

weasley wrote:
No way were those drivers just pulled out of an office. Unless the offices are filled with local club racers or track day heroes.

Well it's not like they have a history of staging stuff Thinking

Irn-Bru wrote:
Anyone notice JC re-used the same radiator fact about the Bugatti? Last time he said "more radiators than my house" for the Veyron this time it was "more radiators than my apartment". The turbos sound epic on that thing though Wub

I did. I wonder if Jeremy thought he was being original or that no one would notice.

bugeye_bob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:10 - 27 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume episode 3 was the crushed velvet episode,
all three in crushed velvet jackets, and Hammond topped it off with a nice crushed velvet waistcoat lol

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:14 - 27 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irn-Bru wrote:
Yeah I was thinking that too, defo would have been a bigger accident than hitting a few bins if they were real drivers.

It's canny how they have the cameras setup just right to capture the wheelie bin 'accident'.

I'm awake to the reality that car shows are no longer factual. I'd guess A Car Is Born was the last ever stab at it. Rolling Eyes

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:21 - 27 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hong Kong Phooey wrote:
It's canny how they have the cameras setup just right to capture the wheelie bin 'accident'.

M.C wrote:

Hong Kong Phooey wrote:
I'm awake to the reality that car shows are no longer factual. I'd guess A Car Is Born was the last ever stab at it. Rolling Eyes

Thumbs Up Also Wheeler dealers if you can stand (the small amount of) Mike Brewer. I genuinely learn something every episode.

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:46 - 27 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Hong Kong Phooey wrote:

M.C wrote:

Hong Kong Phooey wrote:

Thumbs Up Also Wheeler dealers if you can stand (the small amount of) Mike Brewer. I genuinely learn something every episode.

Lolwut! You really think fart Brewer goes out and buys the car blind?
And they use backstage mechanics.

Still, I've seen every one, including the foreign muck Laughing

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:27 - 28 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't ruin it for me Crying or Very sad Laughing Its come up before about them switching cars halfway through etc.. I don't care about the buying/selling bit, its all BS anyway, unless you have the skills of Edd China (and co. Wink) plus a fully equipped workshop.

It's him going into detail explaining stuff that I like. A lot better than the American shows which consist of "I want you to pimp my ride yo", 2 days later... "we've pimped your ride fool", when in reality it was 6 months work (none of which they've shown).

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:50 - 05 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would only be fair to say this week was brilliant. Maybe they went a bit too far at the end. Even watched the celebrity bit for a change as Bill Bailey was on. He didn't look well Neutral

Irn-Bru
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:55 - 06 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only 10 minutes in so far but loving it, best episode so far for this bit alone:

https://i.imgur.com/yxfhVHo.jpg

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:43 - 06 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

^Want

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:37 - 06 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBy6XRHPODQ Laughing

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:03 - 08 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked this show a lot more than previous ones, the tracked tank thing was a hoot.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:58 - 18 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Series 2 was pretty decent overall. You can skip past the tiresome fawning "celeb" sections which cuts the shows down to a nice 30 minutes or so.

The series end Mozambique special had me genuinely laughing out loud at the non-scripted mishaps. Quite a good showing by Hammond's plucky little Indian bike too.

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:57 - 18 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Series 2 was pretty decent overall. You can skip past the tiresome fawning "celeb" sections which cuts the shows down to a nice 30 minutes or so.

The series end Mozambique special had me genuinely laughing out loud at the non-scripted mishaps. Quite a good showing by Hammond's plucky little Indian bike too.

The constant sloshing of the back of May's car got a bit tiresome. The rest was good though.

Last edited by Wafer_Thin_Ham on 17:12 - 18 Feb 2018; edited 1 time in total

Irn-Bru
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:47 - 18 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye, season 2 was much better. Haven't watched a single celeb segment, but rarely did on Top Gear either. The last episode felt very much like classic TG Thumbs Up Hammond must have been covered in bruises after all them off's in the mud.

Dave....
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 17:31 - 18 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irn-Bru wrote:
Aye, season 2 was much better. Haven't watched a single celeb segment, but rarely did on Top Gear either. The last episode felt very much like classic TG Thumbs Up Hammond must have been covered in bruises after all them off's in the mud.

Agreed. Didn't really mind the celeb part as it wasn't too serious but could be easily dropped from future series.
Needs more bikes in future.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 40 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10