BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Bar Muffs

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

B5234FT
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 16:54 - 18 Nov 2016    Post subject: Bar Muffs Reply with quote

For winter riding I like the idea of bar muffs over my heated grips so I can wear gloves which arent bulky, but the cheaper ones seem to wind up pressing on the levers unless you have bark busters on your bike.

Ive seen suggestions of copper pipe or similar between the bar end and the mirror mounts or onto the bars to hold them clear of the levers.

Has anyone tried this sort of thing:

https://www.tucanourbano.com/gb/streamlined-neoprene-handgrip-covers.html

They look good, but a bit of a pain to reach the switchgear?

Or these sort of thing

https://www.tucanourbano.com/gb/polyamide-hand-grip-covers-9268.html

Where the switchear is inside where you can reach it

Cheers

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:00 - 18 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the first set you linked. Love them, they are the new updated version of the neoprene ones I have been using for the last 3 seasons. The rubber finally perished so changed them.

The indicator switch takes a little bit of getting used to, but when you do you'll never struggle. The only thing you lose the ability to use is the flashing light.

They keep your hands out of the wind, that keeps them warmer. Add heated grips and you are onto a winner.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

B5234FT
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 17:19 - 18 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinkyfloyd wrote:
I have the first set you linked. Love them, they are the new updated version of the neoprene ones I have been using for the last 3 seasons. The rubber finally perished so changed them.

The indicator switch takes a little bit of getting used to, but when you do you'll never struggle. The only thing you lose the ability to use is the flashing light.

They keep your hands out of the wind, that keeps them warmer. Add heated grips and you are onto a winner.

Do they 'just work' i.e not fold back against the levers, not leak, fit and remove easily (aware of the fixing in the end, but work is fine, faff is not Razz)

Cheers

Mawsley
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 17:25 - 18 Nov 2016    Post subject: Re: Bar Muffs Reply with quote

Mmmmm, muff.

B5234FT wrote:

That's kinda like what I had on the old XJ9F. I screwed my mirrors through them so they were pretty fixed in place.

It was clumsy getting to the switches at first, but I got used to it. I didn't get used to the heat. My grips were just on or off, muffs made my hands so hot I'd have to turn off the grips half the time.

That link looks solid enough, can't see them blowing into the levers in a hurry.

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:29 - 18 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do they 'just work' i.e not fold back against the levers, not leak, fit and remove easily (aware of the fixing in the end, but work is fine, faff is not Razz)

Cheers[/quote]

mine are the older ones, yes, they just work as there's a brace to stop the front folding back.

fit at start of winter, remove sometime in spring, they use a clamp washer around the bar with a zip tie to secure

only problem I have with them is that they catch the fairings on my current bike.

B5234FT
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 17:33 - 18 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers guys. Looks like a good way to go then if they work. There ae cheaper alternatives, but for the sake of £20 to save a couple of hours messing around I'll have the nice ones.

Last question, what are they like to get your hand back into after adjusting your visor or helmet vents?

WimbleHJR
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 17:33 - 18 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just have ones like these, which have a plastic barrier inside them to prevent wind pushing them on to the levers.

https://screencast.com/t/LklFweSnBgE

I have ridden with them on motorways in pretty strong wind conditions at standard motorway speeds and had no issues with them being pushed on to the levers at all.

Fitting them is a 5 minute job if you use the zip ties to attach them. Less if you don't... I always have because I figure why not.

the ones you linked to before look even more sturdy so I'd be surprised if you had any issues at all.

Mawsley
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 17:35 - 18 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was more my thing though, cheap and cheerful
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/262225156490

Mawsley
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 17:38 - 18 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

B5234FT wrote:
Cheers guys. Looks like a good way to go then if they work. There ae cheaper alternatives, but for the sake of £20 to save a couple of hours messing around I'll have the nice ones.

Last question, what are they like to get your hand back into after adjusting your visor or helmet vents?

My cheap ones had a metal surround to the opening that could be bent to suit. Popping hands in and out was no problem.

B5234FT
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 17:40 - 18 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MOTORCYCLE-BAR-MUFFS-NEOPRENE-BOXER-HAND-WARMERS-BAR-MITTS-RIDER-PROTECTION-/252114951864?hash=item3ab338deb8:g:H4IAAOSwdzVXpJ6p

DrDonnyBrago
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:50 - 18 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

B5234FT wrote:

My review from 2011 for a model similar to the second pair, lots of comments in the thread from users of the neoprene model.

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=231946

They have been brilliant, used all winter, every winter since I posted that review. I wouldn't entertain a winter commute without them.

As for getting hands in/out - on the version I have, it isn't a big deal, the hole opening is rigid and maintains its shape. It's not as quick as without the muffs but you get used to it very quick, plan your moments a little more and it isn't an issue.

The neoprene models have the controls outside of the muff, I didn't like the idea of that so went for the big, over the controls type. People get on well with both types so probably doesn't matter much beyond personal preference.

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:14 - 18 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the polyamide version on the Peggy, I really can't fault them they are very unintrusive. I had the neoprene ones previously and loathed them so much I sold them on.

SophR so good
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 21:29 - 18 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the neoprene ones. They don't push any levers at 80 but they do act as cruise control on the throttle. My riding has improved 10 fold as I keep hurtling into corners too fast. So I guess they work? If I hadn't bought them already I'd go with the polyamide ones as thats probably less sticky.

Doink
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 01:01 - 19 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got the Tucano ones, been wearing my mesh backed summer gloves with them and even doing 90mph for extended periods hands are nice and warm.

Used them last year too and only used proper winter gloves with them when it got really cold.

B5234FT
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 19:52 - 20 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ordered the neoprene ones, will see how I get on with them!

Cheers all!

B5234FT
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 10:53 - 25 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

So they arrived and I fitted them and rode to the MOT last night.

First impresions are the comments about getting used to the indicators etc quickly were bang on, theyre comfy and warm and easy to get along with!

Doink
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 11:55 - 26 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

B5234FT wrote:
So they arrived and I fitted them and rode to the MOT last night.

First impresions are the comments about getting used to the indicators etc quickly were bang on, theyre comfy and warm and easy to get along with!

Tbey make such a huge difference this time of year, especially in the pissing rain.

Commuter_Tim
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:35 - 26 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

A question to anybody with the big new fluffy Tucanos... Do they freeze?
I woke up this morning to my neoprene ones frozen rock solid, made it a bitch to shift etc.
Then again both my Squire locks, my abus disc lock, choke, and switchgears were also frozen shut.

Yeah I still rode to work... cos BAKLAFF

I ride a Bandit 600... badly.

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:33 - 26 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commuter_Tim wrote:
A question to anybody with the big new fluffy Tucanos... Do they freeze?

No they don't. And because they completely encompass all your controls on the new ones it wouldn't matter. I'm a big fan of the new style ones, hated the neoprene.

Petemate
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 00:01 - 27 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mawsley wrote:

And those, dear readers, are what I used in my 4 years of courier work on my Reveres. They were cheap, perfect to use and get used to popping my hands in and out of, didn't feel the need to use heated grips (had them fitted and never switched them on after a couple of sessions) Rode through all those four winters. Wouldn't have been without them but also wouldn't have spent any more than the tenner they cost me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Doink
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 13:20 - 27 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Petemate wrote:
Mawsley wrote:

And those, dear readers, are what I used in my 4 years of courier work on my Reveres. They were cheap, perfect to use and get used to popping my hands in and out of, didn't feel the need to use heated grips (had them fitted and never switched them on after a couple of sessions) Rode through all those four winters. Wouldn't have been without them but also wouldn't have spent any more than the tenner they cost me.

I did look at the cheaper ones but wasn't sure how they'd be at higher speeds with regards to pushing against the brake/clutch levers as I do about 60 miles a day at motorway speeds on my commute.

Having the plastic inserts on the Tucanos eliminates that issue.

B5234FT
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 13:47 - 27 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at the cheap ones and found the in general didn't have decent straps etc, by the time yoh did it was £20 not ten and then you still need something to keep them off the bars so I bought these for £39, fitted in 10 mins

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:17 - 27 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I found as a byproduct of fitting to a 'trials' style (Yes the Peggy is one of those hideous 'dual purpose' 90's affairs but let's not get too purist) is that big factory brush guards make the muffs into something perfect. A right old fanny to fit, I had to basically take them off and refit while inside the muffs because they wouldn't fit over but once all installed they're brilliant.

The brush guards provide the rigidity that stops the muffs interfering with anything and so you're not constantly poking them out of the way.

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:56 - 27 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the polyamide ones. They have stiff plastic on 3 sides so they stay clear of levers. I will probably put them back on the bike tomorrow. They can get full of water of you don't close the drawstrings.

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:39 - 27 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I made that schoolboy error once. That's what they're there for though so it's only your own fault if they do.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 152 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1