Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Choices of first bike considering the constraints?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

zip
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:17 - 18 Nov 2016    Post subject: Choices of first bike considering the constraints? Reply with quote

Hi peeps, thinking about doing my CBT and getting a 125cc for getting to uni and back (5 mile journey) and just for fun too but I came across a problem..
I have no garage available so the bike would have to be put in the back garden and secured somehow there, maybe in a shed or using an anchor in the ground. The problem is that there is a narrow path leading to the back garden that the bike must be taken through. This path is approximately 10m long, and 85cm wide.
I was wondering if this limits my choices by a substantial amount? I would have preferred a supermoto if it was possible.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:38 - 18 Nov 2016    Post subject: Re: Choices of first bike considering the constraints? Reply with quote

zip wrote:
Hi peeps, thinking about doing my CBT and getting a 125cc for getting to uni and back (5 mile journey) and just for fun too but I came across a problem..
I have no garage available so the bike would have to be put in the back garden and secured somehow there, maybe in a shed or using an anchor in the ground. The problem is that there is a narrow path leading to the back garden that the bike must be taken through. This path is approximately 10m long, and 85cm wide.
I was wondering if this limits my choices by a substantial amount? I would have preferred a supermoto if it was possible.

Have you got a shed at the moment that has a wide enough door and space inside to fit a motorbike? If not then just get a cover and put that over it and as for security if there's nothing solid into the ground already, depending on your gardens set up, then you might want to get a ground anchor.. permission on installation depending of course, ideally away from the floor and into a wall. "Sold secure" chains mean nothing so don't go into J&S or elsewhere and fall for that Oxford nonsense, sure buy one for a second chain and inconvenience but don't rely on one.. Pragmasis 13mm would be my smallest recommendation and will beat most out the shop joke chains. Google Pragmasis and you'll find them, you won't find them in a shop.

The paths length doesn't matter because you're going to be wheeling the bike down not keeping it there the width might do however. My Lexmoto Arrow comes in at 73.5cm so there's hope. 125cc's are small and nimble and I'd imagine you can fit one down just about anywhere more so than the large counterparts. CBF 125 = 76cm. YBR 125 = 74.5cm. You should be alright. Just find a bike you like and google the specs and see if it works out and hope for the best. IIRC the width is the widest part of the bike and not all of it so you've less to worry about than you imagine. Again 125cc's are nimble and easy to throw around so I wouldn't worry too much.

Oh, supermoto just do as above in regards to specs. Just be aware of buying a bike that has suitable space to put a chain through the frame and even more so on a supermoto because easy to rag around fields, as its designed for, so they appeal to t-leafs. In regards to 125cc's I'd just settle for what looks crap but does the job and secure it the same way as above. They're all built to a set power limit anyway.

zip
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:15 - 18 Nov 2016    Post subject: Re: Choices of first bike considering the constraints? Reply with quote

NJD wrote:

Have you got a shed at the moment that has a wide enough door and space inside to fit a motorbike? If not then just get a cover and put that over it and as for security if there's nothing solid into the ground already, depending on your gardens set up, then you might want to get a ground anchor.. permission on installation depending of course, ideally away from the floor and into a wall. "Sold secure" chains mean nothing so don't go into J&S or elsewhere and fall for that Oxford nonsense, sure buy one for a second chain and inconvenience but don't rely on one.. Pragmasis 13mm would be my smallest recommendation and will beat most out the shop joke chains. Google Pragmasis and you'll find them, you won't find them in a shop.

The paths length doesn't matter because you're going to be wheeling the bike down not keeping it there the width might do however. My Lexmoto Arrow comes in at 73.5cm so there's hope. 125cc's are small and nimble and I'd imagine you can fit one down just about anywhere more so than the large counterparts. CBF 125 = 76cm. YBR 125 = 74.5cm. You should be alright. Just find a bike you like and google the specs and see if it works out and hope for the best. IIRC the width is the widest part of the bike and not all of it so you've less to worry about than you imagine. Again 125cc's are nimble and easy to throw around so I wouldn't worry too much.

Oh, supermoto just do as above in regards to specs. Just be aware of buying a bike that has suitable space to put a chain through the frame and even more so on a supermoto because easy to rag around fields, as its designed for, so they appeal to t-leafs. In regards to 125cc's I'd just settle for what looks crap but does the job and secure it the same way as above. They're all built to a set power limit anyway.

Thanks for the quick reply! I don't have a shed so I guess the covers a better option and I'm definitely not going cheap on the chain because I want it as secure as possible. I'll look that chain up and see what I find.
The 125cc are mostly fine but I really only want a 125 for a year then move on to the bigger bikes. I've had a look at some supermoto's I liked and the width was around 85cm for most. For example the DRZ400SM was 87cm. The path has a fence on one side and a wall on the other so no space for manoeuvrability really so I'm guessing the supermoto's are out of the equation? Confused

MahatmaAndhi
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 09:05 - 19 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happens when you get to the end of the path? Do you need to turn a corner, or does it open up in to your garden?

I used to put my Zontes Monster in my back garden every day. I'd have to take it down between two houses, then turn in a very narrow spot. The alley wasn't the issue, it was the damned corner. I'd have to lift the back wheel completely off the ground and turn.

How high is the wall? Will the handlebars fit over the top?
Is getting a bike you like and then fitting different handebars an option? I don't think too many exceed 80cm in width, unless you're getting in to Varadero-sized territory.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:25 - 19 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

85cm should be just about OK as long as it's a clear run in. I tend to fit narrower bars to my bikes anyway to aid filtering. They're pretty much universal.

zip
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:05 - 19 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

MahatmaAndhi wrote:
What happens when you get to the end of the path? Do you need to turn a corner, or does it open up in to your garden?

I used to put my Zontes Monster in my back garden every day. I'd have to take it down between two houses, then turn in a very narrow spot. The alley wasn't the issue, it was the damned corner. I'd have to lift the back wheel completely off the ground and turn.

How high is the wall? Will the handlebars fit over the top?
Is getting a bike you like and then fitting different handebars an option? I don't think too many exceed 80cm in width, unless you're getting in to Varadero-sized territory.

No it just opens up to the garden luckily so that won't be a issue. How wide was your alley just for comparison?
The wall is high enough that the handlebars won't fit over

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:16 - 19 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

My exup is about 73 cm wide at the widest point (the bars) and is about average width-wise.

I'd probably be riding up there without slowing after a bit of practice...

zip
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:27 - 19 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
85cm should be just about OK as long as it's a clear run in. I tend to fit narrower bars to my bikes anyway to aid filtering. They're pretty much universal.

Ah that's a good point

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:10 - 19 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's one to try at home, just don't tell Broadmoor I wrote this because they'll probably think I'm as mad as the two kids that walked past while I was doing it did.

Measure the length of the piece of wood that your keyboard sits on. Mine works out at 78cm (same length as the ZR) and take it out the rollers down the alley and see what you've got to play with either side. Mine works out that the bar ends might take a beating here and there but it all go. Makes sense and is easy to try.

I'm not mad, honest.

dydey90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:03 - 19 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to remember I chose a CBR125 for the angled bars purely because the garage at my parents house was at the end of a single driveway down the side of the house and I had to fit the bike between a house and a car, with a drain pipe for bonus points.

MahatmaAndhi
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 20:22 - 21 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

zip wrote:

No it just opens up to the garden luckily so that won't be a issue. How wide was your alley just for comparison?
The wall is high enough that the handlebars won't fit over

No idea, to be honest. It's too cold and wet to go and check.
Here's a thread with an image in it. For me, it was that blasted corner. My current bike is around the same length as the Zontes which I had at the time. However, because it's a much wider frame and a whole lot heavier, it's now in my front garden (I removed a fence panel so I could park it in the front.)

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=4345184&highlight=#4345184
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 157 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1