Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

First bike: KTM RC390 vs Yamaha R6?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

en_garde
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 16:17 - 23 Nov 2016    Post subject: First bike: KTM RC390 vs Yamaha R6? Reply with quote

I'm getting my first bike (I specifically want sport) and decided I fancy these 2 most:

1)KTM RC390 (Figured I can get used for about £3k)
2)Yamaha R6 (about £4k +500pa on insurance compared to KTM)

I need the bike for two purposes:
1)drive around London (mostly)
2)drive between cities maybe once every 2 weeks - say 100 miles

Which one would you recommend? Things I worry about:
--Will I kill myself on 600cc? Too much for starter?
--Repair cost - I'm likely to drop whatever I get, how does 2007 Yamaha repair costs compare to that of 2015 KTM?
--Which of the two more likely to be stolen? (one is newer, one is bigger)
--Yamaha will probably have some 15k mileage on it. Is that a problem? (I'm in UK)

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:29 - 23 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

how old are you?
how big are you?
what license?

a/s/l?

Last edited by owl on 16:30 - 23 Nov 2016; edited 1 time in total

Paris2
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 16:29 - 23 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally believe it's too much yes.
--Repair cost - I'm likely to drop whatever I get, how does 2007 Yamaha repair costs compare to that of 2015 KTM?
Wouldn't know. Try not to drop either Laughing
--Which of the two more likely to be stolen? (one is newer, one is bigger)
R6 will get stolen quicker I'd suspect. They'll rag it, then they'll dump it.
--Yamaha will probably have some 15k mileage on it. Is that a problem? (I'm in UK)
No

They are two incredibly different bikes though, only similar in looks/style. You'll need to decide for yourself why you have narrowed it down to these two.

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:32 - 23 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paris2 wrote:

They are two incredibly different bikes though, only similar in looks/style. You'll need to decide for yourself why you have narrowed it down to these two.

too right dohc single vs inline 4
also the r6 has what? roughly 3x the bhp

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 16:43 - 23 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll do the Tef bit: get your licence first, then your security, then your gear, then think about a bike.

As above, you're comparing two very different bikes. All they have in common is the number of wheels and that they have fairings.

That said...

You'll be doing your training and tests on a 595cc+ bike making 40kW+, likely a twin or IL4. Once you're used to that, stepping back down to a 373cc single making a claimed 32kW may be a bit too much of a retrograde step.

Granted, it's a lightweight bike that looks like an absolute hoot, but it's also got a tiny 10 litre tank, which would get on my wick pretty quickly as a commuter.

The R6 is all about the top end, like Kate Upton. Using it as a commuter would be like getting her to do your dishes.

Why not an ER6F? Or an SV650S (plastic one), or a CBR600F, or a Daytona?

Far too early to decide, as you don't have a basis for comparison. Horse before cart, get your licence, figure out what you like and don't like about the training bike, then go and test a few.

Conzar
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:46 - 23 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

KTM

R6 is thief magnet
R6 is going to be pricey if you drop it

KTM would be more suited to city riding and so much better on fuel
KTM will be more user friendly for yourself and building riding experience
11:05:35 Rob Fzs: i just wanna own an rd350 valve before they send us to war with durkadurkastan

tom_e
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 17:07 - 23 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a ZX-10R. Makes about as much sense as deciding between those 2.

en_garde
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 17:15 - 23 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paris2 wrote:

Why are they "incredibly" different? The tank and the HP is different sure, but in terms of seat height and look and feel they seem similar?

What am I missing?

In terms of why I narrowed down - I'll be honest it's just looks / price ratio. I don't like how kiwi / suzuki look. Some Hondas ok but similar price as R6 so I figured why compromise.

Thanks for all the advice so far btw.

en_garde
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 17:18 - 23 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

vice wrote:
Paris2 wrote:

too right dohc single vs inline 4
also the r6 has what? roughly 3x the bhp

Yeah about 3x the bhp which is why I asked if I will kill myself haha

Does dohc single vs inline 4 feel different when you ride them? (I'm completely new to this).

Thanks!

en_garde
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 17:23 - 23 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

vice wrote:
how old are you? 24
how big are you? 72kg, 180cm
what license? A

a/s/l?

tom_e
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 17:26 - 23 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

en_garde wrote:

Does dohc single vs inline 4 feel different when you ride them? (I'm completely new to this).

Thanks!

Massively, go and test ride some bikes. You may hate the feel of certain engine configurations and love others.

For example my V Twin will happily start throwing you along from about 6k revs and still be within legalish speeds. To get the same feeling from a lot of IL4s you've got to be up around 12k revs and well into bye bye licence speeds.

Paris2
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 17:26 - 23 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

IL4 and Single will ride very differently.
An IL4 will generally rev much higher than a single or a twin, so they need to be pushed more to get them going.
This is especially true of the R6, which is famous for top end only.

The main difference between the two is the engine. It's the equivalent of getting out of a Fiesta and into a Porsche, expecting them to drive the same.

Conzar
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:42 - 23 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're asking strangers on the internet if you would kill yourself on a super-sports bike then it seems to me that you don't even trust yourself, so yes there might be a chance you will kill yourself.
11:05:35 Rob Fzs: i just wanna own an rd350 valve before they send us to war with durkadurkastan

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:52 - 23 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest doing a bit of research yourself, although I'm guessing you won't which is why you are asking us for the answer Rolling Eyes

Also try before you buy, book some demos in with the dealers and figure out what you like, please don't buy a bike solely based on what it looks like.

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:04 - 23 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="en_garde"]
Paris2 wrote:
In terms of why I narrowed down - I'll be honest it's just looks / price ratio. I don't like how kiwi / suzuki look. Some Hondas ok but similar price as R6 so I figured why compromise.

Forget about 390. As mentioned inline 4s are the definition of fun in supersports bikes.

Try the R6. Then buy the R6. Have a fun. Don't ride like a dick and you will be fine. With R6 it's easier said then done Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 23:15 - 23 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the joys of bikes is the variety of how they ride. The raw numbers tell you very little about it. You really have to ride them to find out - this is a good thing, it's part of the fun.

B5234FT
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 10:18 - 24 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commuting, new rider, London, focussed and expensive sports bike...Why?

If I really wanted a sports bike I'd be buying an older but well cared for zx6-r or CBR6 but really, I'd want none of the above and something far more upright for that sort of use! I'd also want something less attractive to thieves and less expensive to fix in a spill

Paris2
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 10:44 - 24 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

With £4K to spend and the need to commute in to London, I'd be tempted to get two bikes Cool

£2K will buy you a decent older sportsbike (zx6, cbr6), and likewise it is a decent budget for a commuter thieves won't look twice at, and is cheap to fix. (Bandit, CB, ER).

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:21 - 24 Nov 2016    Post subject: Re: First bike: KTM RC390 vs Yamaha R6? Reply with quote

en_garde wrote:
I need the bike for two purposes:
1)drive around London (mostly)
2)drive between cities maybe once every 2 weeks - say 100 miles

(1) If we take the case of youtube's popular BVG (BaronVonGrumble) he used to, when he started out videos, ride around London on his commute on nothing but sports bike but has since adopted his garage to include an R1200GS and from what I've seen prefers to lug that around and leave the rest at home for other days. Even RJ (RoyalJordanian or w/e) sometimes prefers to take his Honda Grom 125 over his Nuda or BMW and whatever else he owns. I think RJ had a video whereby he kept up through London traffic on his Grom with a sports bike, the only thing a sports bike will be good for in London, based on videos since I've never visited, is getting to the next set of red lights faster than everyone else. I doubt you'd ever get a constant free run getting the bike up to temp enough and probably wouldn't be my choice as an inner city bike where filtering, nimbleness and low down torque are key.

(2) Anything that can maintain motorway speeds would fit the bill.

I'd advise you sit on a sportsbike to see if you get can used to the seating position rather than convincing yourself you like it because you want one. I sat on an SV 650 and got off not long after because it was far different from what I was used to and wasn't for me.

en_garde wrote:

Bit morbid, you sure bikes are for you?

Could go any way all depends on you as the rider and how you adopt. Can't say I'd want sportsbike as first bike because despite how much it might appealing having recently upgraded to my first big-er bike restricted I can see why things are progressive as big a pain in the arse as it is, twisting the throttle in the wrong place could quite easily throw you off and that's my thinking after a fair bit of experience in all conditions under me belt on a 125.

Go with a bike that is reviewed for having low down power, being forgiving and ideal for learners and you won't go far wrong. Thumbs Up

en_garde wrote:
<theft?>

Watch RJ's "almost bike jacked" video and you'll see it's not the typical "left it in bay and it's not there when I got back" anymore. For that reason alone I'd just get a cheap hack that wouldn't make me cry as much as loosing an R6 would.

The real answer is move outside of London. Theft isn't a London only thing but it seems to be far more shock worthy and less of an event everywhere else.

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:11 - 24 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO;
1) First big bike, spend a max of £2.5k.
a) You won't know what qualities you really want and/or need until you've used a bike for 6-12 months.
b) Within 6 months you'll start looking enviously at different bikes (we almost all did/do) although you may keep what you get, it's more likely you'll change provided you're not handcuffed by a finance deal.

2) Having lived in London for ... ever until recently, I've never been a regular commuter but always used bikes in town.
I have heard of people swearing that sports-bikes are great for heavy traffic but personally I've always thought they were bad for that job.
The seating position makes good vision difficult in traffic and good vision/planning is what makes a quicker journey and more importantly, a safer journey when the traffic is 'London' heavy.
When I had the choice between a sportsbike and 'something else', I pretty much always used the 'something else' bike.
I'd suggest you look for something a bit more upright than a sportsbike for city commuting as your first bike and reconsider after 6-12 month...

DylanMitchell
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 10:47 - 25 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have gone for Yamaha R6!

Tdibs
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 15:09 - 25 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at insurance for both, I would assume they are both pretty expensive if its a fist bike.

notbike
Formerly known as
notabikeranymore

PostPosted: 18:58 - 25 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

R6 coz i have one

INB4 TEFLON-MEEF. Tl;dr r6 bite you in the arse dont get it yet

Edit:

Actually I won't be a lazy cunt, let me elaborate.

Don't get an R6 as a first bike if you're new to biking. I started on an R125 for 6 months, then a Ninja 300 for 2 and a bit years, now I'm on an R6 and I feel like I would've binned it already if I hadn't made mistakes on the other bikes first.

I'm glad I didn't(couldn't anyway) get an R6 as a first bike.

The best way to describe the R6 is razor sharp.

Throttle comparison...

The R125 was very sluggish, you could whack the throttle open to FULL and the engine would try to "catch up" to how wide the throttle was open. I.e. if you had it open half way or fully it would accellerate at the same slow rate.

The Ninja 300 reacted more to throttle but it would still find itself catching up if you fully opened it.

The R6 reacts instantly, and I mean instantly to throttle input. (fucking, how do people ride 1000s?) Down low its a bit tame but the fact it spools up so quick when the clutch is in makes it tricky when learning to pull off at first. If you're new, this WILL catch you off guard at some point with your untrained throttle hand.

The clutch also feels different on the R6 vs the ninja (obviously), because the biting point feels much shorter. The R125 had a short biting point but thats fine cause you can rev the titties off it without it looping on you.

The Ninja felt like you could let the lever out and the biting point would last slightly longer so you'd have less chance of stalling it or looping it if you whacked the throttle on violently.

And also the brakes feel STRONG on the R6. Stronger than on the XJ6 I rode for my tests. You don't want that when you haven't practiced E-stops on a big bike.

I already had one minor fuck-up mistake even after couple years of riding like a loon. Going 15mph in car park, some speed bumps, clutch is out in first gear which would be fine on the Ninja.

Went over speed bump as normal, wrist jerked (didnt anticipate this) and throttle whacked right on, lurched forward, grabbed brake, oh fuck thats TOO much brake, let go of brake, revved it again fuck sake, look like a total wanker. Compose myself, ride off quickly.

Sounds funny but if I was a total n00b I would've probably either:
Held onto the throttle for dear life and sped up, consequently shitting myself and binning it.

Mashed the front brake even harder if that was my go-to untrained reaction and lost the front/binned it.

Or neither of those and just be an idiot/lucky.

Don't get the R6 yet, learn those dumb noob mistakes on a forgiving bike like the ninja, which won't suddenly rev up when you jerk your wrist accidentally.

Go for the RC390 first. Rode the Duke 390 though and if the RC is anything like it, thats a torquey bike and lots of fun. It can power wheelie in first.

SophR so good
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 22:45 - 25 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meef, you know you can change where the bite point of the clutch is yeh?

notbike
Formerly known as
notabikeranymore

PostPosted: 00:34 - 26 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

SophR so good wrote:
Meef, you know you can change where the bite point of the clutch is yeh?

Getting some custom shorty ASVs in the post next week hopefully. That lever is so fucking far out.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 152 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2