Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Where to start?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

Goaty
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 15:02 - 24 Nov 2016    Post subject: Where to start? Reply with quote

Figured I should say hi so, hi!

Not sure where to start on this forum, there is so much already here and with it being off season there aren't many ride outs going on.

Picked up my 125 Duke in August of this year after doing my CBT in May, intend to do my test in May of the coming year.

Anyone got any tips or advice for the test?

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:06 - 24 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not wanting to put a dampener on your choice of bike but did you read this?

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=266029

Anyway, enjoy it. Hopefully you have one of the good ones. Thumbs Up

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:09 - 24 Nov 2016    Post subject: Re: Where to start? Reply with quote

Goaty wrote:

Don't over-analyse or over-prepare. You're not going to pass during a lesson. Just get on and have a go - neither part is particularly hard once you're actually doing it.

Are you planning to do A1 on your Duke, or A2 / A on a bigger bike?

Either way, why wait? The sooner you pass, the sooner you can rip up your L plates.

Goaty
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 15:14 - 24 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Not wanting to put a dampener on your choice of bike but did you read this?

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=266029

Anyway, enjoy it. Hopefully you have one of the good ones. Thumbs Up

Hadn't seen this! Thanks for letting me know, hopefully I'll be swapping out by summer for something a bit bigger anyway Very Happy

Goaty
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 15:17 - 24 Nov 2016    Post subject: Re: Where to start? Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Goaty wrote:

Don't over-analyse or over-prepare. You're not going to pass during a lesson. Just get on and have a go - neither part is particularly hard once you're actually doing it.

Are you planning to do A1 on your Duke, or A2 / A on a bigger bike?

Either way, why wait? The sooner you pass, the sooner you can rip up your L plates.

Going straight for the A2, not 24 yet so can't go for the A, plan to get a bigger bike and just restrict it down for the two years until I can go for the full A.

Just waiting till I've got a bit more practice on the little Duke for now, only done about 800 miles total and want to make sure my confidence is solid!

Paris2
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 15:53 - 24 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tips: Get in a lot of practise, in all weathers if possible. You never know what the weather is going to do on test day Thumbs Up

Loving the avatar, classic game Laughing

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 16:15 - 24 Nov 2016    Post subject: Re: Where to start? Reply with quote

Goaty wrote:
Going straight for the A2, not 24 yet so can't go for the A, plan to get a bigger bike and just restrict it down for the two years until I can go for the full A.

Fair play. One thing to consider is that there's nothing to stop you doing the offroad module 1 test on your Duke before going for A2 training with a school.

You'll need to pass the motorcycle theory first either way, then the content of the practical tests is exactly the same regardless of what size of bike you do them on. It only costs £15.50 to have a go at module 1, so even though it doesn't get you any closer to getting an A2 license, you can view it as cheap practice to find out what's involved and settle your nerves.

The great thing is, if you can do it in a 125, then you can definitely do it on a bigger bike.

So why not pass your theory (it's good for 2 years) then just have a go at module 1 over winter, while the centres are nice and quiet? There are some handy DVSA how-to video on YouTube.

If you can pass that, then you're ready to go straight on to A2 training, no need to wait for it to get busy in spring.

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:31 - 24 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi welcome to the forum, good to see someone else local. Good choice going for the bike test as well! Always best to get it out of the way
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:14 - 24 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't mention the season
https://media.mediapost.com.s3.amazonaws.com/dam/cropped/2015/09/22/vanheusen_5BSQnoz.jpg

Dave_80
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 23:18 - 24 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're low on experience I would recommend booking some time with an instructor,they can give you pointers you wouldn't think of yourself.
I know some people have done tests on their own but if you have any doubt a professional opinion is well worth the money.

DylanMitchell
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 10:38 - 25 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just stay relaxed and listen to the instructor! It will definitely help you clear the test.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 150 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1