BCF: Bike Chat Forums

When do you replace your chain?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

barrkel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:38 - 26 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO if the rear looks like that, you've probably lost teeth on the front by now.

Personally I'd replace the lot straight away.

If you really want to eke it out further, I'd have a peek under the front sprocket cover and see how it's doing.

But if replacing, replace everything. When chains get longer, they have a different pitch; they don't match the sprockets. They're literally mismatched.

B5234FT
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 18:01 - 27 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

So after all the advice in this thread:

Book spec for length is 323mm max accross 20 links (21 pins) and I measured 10 points on the chain all at 21-22mm

There are some links with more resistance than others, but all move freely and none stay kinked under the resting tension of the chain alone.

Adjustment, book says 35-40mm, I had 55 so one full turn of the axle adjusters brought that back to 35 with some travel still left. Did the tracking with string to check and that was fine too.

No missing plates or barrels or any visible damage

Looks straight from rear both above and below the sprocket

Front sprocket is well worn, but no missing teeth

No reason change from loosest to tightest points around the chain, perhaps 5mm change in the sag in the chain on the bottom side.

Grabbing the chain at 3 o'clock on the rear sprocket there is a little side to side play, around half a mm. I can just pull it enough so see through between the chain plates and the sprocket but only just.

So concluding that it was well worn, but within spec and not suffering from any major issues I've cleaned all four faces of the chain and also the sprockets and front sprocket cover and lubed it. Will see how it is for a while.

Cheers for the advice

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:37 - 27 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't sound too bad given it's not a hugely powerful bike but the sprocket is obviously more questionable than the chain.
Smooth gear changes and regular lubing/cleaning will prolong things of course but I'm not entirely sure I'd like to rely on it (sprocket) on a longer commute.

Replace when funds allow for peace of mind.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:50 - 28 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

B5234FT wrote:

Grabbing the chain at 3 o'clock on the rear sprocket there is a little side to side play, around half a mm. I can just pull it enough so see through between the chain plates and the sprocket but only just.

Did you check at 3 o'clock am or pm? Shhh!

The benefit of having just 34 lb-ft torque, means if the chain does give out you'll only partially sever a leg rather than full on amputation. Twisted Evil

Unless it does the disemboweling thing.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 149 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2