Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

2002 GPZ500S Winter bike

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell
View previous topic : View next topic  

B5234FT
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 13:10 - 25 Nov 2016    Post subject: 2002 GPZ500S Winter bike Reply with quote

Having missed riding all winter last year in fear of destroying my bike, my car was off the road for a couple of days in early November so I decided to man up and commute on the bike. 4 hours cleaning it in 2 degrees on a sunday put me off EVER doing that again with something I care about and so came the idea of a winter bike.

A friend of mine was looking at the same thing to protect his SV650 and after 4 weeks searching for something decent, bought a GPZ500S from Wales for £900 delivered. I had a quick shot and really quite liked it! I already knew a bit about them as I considered one for a first bike after passing my test.

My own bike showed up on Gumtree the week after he bought his, in the same colour so I went for a look and struck a deal. The bike is a late twin disk model which came with 2 weeks MOT for £600. Just sailed through the MOT (£29) and taxed (Direct debit). Insured for £115.

My commute on the triple left me with very cold hands, even with heated grips, so after this thread (https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=316817) I ordered a set of tucano urbano Sku R363 and fitted them. They're excellent, fit and work very well!

Having decided to leave the chain for now (https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=316912) I've just ordered some service parts (black friday)
Oil - £9.99
Filter - 4.98
Sump washer - 0.35
Plugs - 4.04
Fuel filter - 5.46
Thermostat - 25.87 (ouch)
And I've already got coolant, brake fluid and it's just had new pads.

£860 for a year's worth of shit weather biking is cheaper than the inevitable damage to many bits of a matt grey street triple which is now tucked up for the winter.

Last edited by B5234FT on 11:02 - 20 Apr 2017; edited 1 time in total

bacon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:15 - 25 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Multiple bikes ftw

Downside is that you will see riding your tidy bike as a chore and almost always choose the shitter instead Laughing

B5234FT
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 16:42 - 05 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha yeah I can see that happening!

So this weekend I pulled the fairings and tank off to give her a service.

Did the following:
Oil and filter
Coolant and thermostat (with antifreeze in it this time Rolling Eyes )
Cleaned the air filter
Changed the fuel filter
Changed the spark plugs
Removed the last couple of wires from the awful alarm it came with
Filled the scottoiler
Changed the headlamp bulb and checked the voltage under load
Gave it a general check over

Runs up to temp nicely now!

Just got the heated grips to sort now (replace dead controller with an eBay PWM circuit)

B5234FT
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 11:01 - 20 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didnt get as many miles as I wanted over the winter as it never really got cold and dry like normal and when you're doing 5l of screenwash a week in the car, getting covered in shit doesnt look much fun!

Used it a good chunk recently though, enough to kill off the stupid Contitwist SM rear tyre, so got a pair of Michelin Pilot Streets fitted this morning after much deliberation:

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=319428

Adjusted the chain tension at the weekend and at the correct tension, the teeth were clicking on the chain due to the hooked sprocket:

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=316912&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=25

Ordered a kit of JT sprockets and DID X-ring chain so will fit that this evening so long as it arrives.

For a shit old bike I really like it!

Bike - £600
Oil - £9.99
Filter - 4.98
Sump washer - 0.35
Plugs - 4.04
Fuel filter - 5.46
MOT 29
Insurance - £115
Bar Muffs - £37.99
Tyres - £161
Chain and sprockets £75.29
VED - 5 months at £5.16/month is £25.81
Total - £1094.78

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:03 - 20 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like mine too. Surprising really as there are obvs tons of better bikes out there but very few in its class and fewer at the price

I'l be sad when mine goes

B5234FT
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 14:28 - 20 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, for the money I paid I could have bought an elderly 600, but I think 'not being fast' almost IS the point of this. It's fun ringing its neck, comfortable enough for some distance and crap enough not to care about.

Omega
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 16:19 - 20 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a couple of GPZs and loved them. It's a shame most of them look so rubbish. I don't know who came up with some of the paint schemes Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 1 year, 12 days between these two posts...

B5234FT
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 16:21 - 02 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another year and some more miles and the GPZ soldiers on. It failed it's MOT Surprised because the horn stopped working after half a second and wouldnt beep again. Irritating, especially having ridden it there in the snow!

A total no-start was traced to a cracked spark plug cap which came out in pieces, not ideal!

Otherwise it's had an oil change and plenty of chain lube and that's it. Bar muffs are off with the warmer weather

Bike - £600
Oil - £9.99
Filter - 4.98
Sump washer - 0.35
Plugs - 4.04
Fuel filter - 5.46
MOT 29
Insurance - £115
Bar Muffs - £37.99
Tyres - £161
Chain and sprockets £75.29
MOT - 29
Horn - 7.77
Plug cap - 3
Insurance - 105
Oil - 26.95
Filter - 13
VED - 30 months at £5.16/month is £154.80
Total - £1408.49

There are plans to sort some of the bikes shortcomings like the massive throttle travel and extremely soft suspension, but I'll save those for a future update.

ride_to_die
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 14:34 - 10 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see it's still going Thumbs Up

stephen_o
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 14:55 - 10 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine was sold for scrap last year p/x against the YBR, check your swingarm condition - mine was so loose it was apparently about to go through I was told once. I had many electrical problems with mine and it needed a full strip down and rebuild in the end. Still I owned it for 5 years and rode it for 3 including it being my only transport in the winter of 2013-2014.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 324 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1