Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

UK govt backs 'stolen valour' law

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Azoth
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 00:02 - 28 Nov 2016    Post subject: UK govt backs 'stolen valour' law Reply with quote

An interesting development: the govt intends to back a private member's bill that will make it a criminal offence to claim military service and/or honours that one hasn't earned. Amazingly, it isn't yet a crime here (unlike in America, where it's vigorously investigated and prosecuted). What do you think?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-38103079?intlink_from_url=https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-politics-parliaments-38103699&link_location=live-reporting-story

It seems kind of important that imposters should be exposed for what they are. It protects the public, as positions of responsibility may be given to 'Walter Mitty' types who claim military service and are trusted on that basis. In today's world, with assymetrical warfare and the blurring of policing, paramilitary and military roles, the same protections should probably be extended to law enforcement personnel and the intelligence community.

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:21 - 28 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is about people false claiming to be EX-military and having gained some honour, it's not about people claiming to be serving military or cops. Retired military have no powers or privileges or anything like that, it's purely about people claiming bragging rights they haven't earned. It's also fairly questionable how much bragging rights running around in a field with a gun really gets you anyway. I always find it quite strange since the army are fairly keen for people to join up, as regulars or reserves, there is really no need to pretend to have done the job. It's not like it's a hard profession to get into.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Azoth
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 00:25 - 28 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im-a-Ridah wrote:
This is about people false claiming to be EX-military and having gained some honour, it's not about people claiming to be serving military or cops. Retired military have no powers or privileges or anything like that, it's purely about people claiming bragging rights they haven't earned.

Yes

Quote:
It's also fairly questionable how much bragging rights running around in a field with a gun really gets you anyway. I always find it quite strange since the army are fairly keen for people to join up, as regulars or reserves, there is really no need to pretend to have done the job. It's not like it's a hard profession to get into.

Some of the reasons mentioned in that article were that weak/pathetic characters, pathological liars and mentally ill people were prone to making claims that they served when they didn't. They caught this old bloke doing the Remembrance Day parade in full uniform. He was getting off on it. For irrational and unbalanced individuals, it may be motive enough. I don't know, but it seems to happen a lot.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:28 - 28 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where will it stand on someone wearing their grandfather/father's medals at a parade out of respect?

You just know someone is going to pull that one.

Azoth
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 00:34 - 28 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jewlio Rides Again wrote:
Where will it stand on someone wearing their grandfather/father's medals at a parade out of respect?

You just know someone is going to pull that one.

Good question. I think I read somewhere that the MOD had considered this sort of legislation before, and this was something they mentioned. Apparently, if someone wears a relative's medals at a parade on the right-hand side of their jacket, it signals that they didn't earn those medals, but simply wanted to show respect. Obviously, if everyone understands that convention, the people who do that won't be considered Walts.

But I think the main bone of contention is about those strange and disturbed individuals who want to be seen as tough, and who try to portray a tough guy image by saying or implying or giving some sign that they once served in the military. It's a bit of a problem when you have people who write books, apply for security work, etc. making false claims like that. Some of the stories they make up are absurdly wild. It sort of rocks the boat when unsteady characters are trusted by people because of a false association they have claimed explicitly or implicitly (more often, explicitly).

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:38 - 28 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, we used to hate that in the SAS.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Azoth
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 00:54 - 28 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
Yeah, we used to hate that in the SAS.

Yeah, the bloke in the pub blabbering nonsense can FRO, as he's mostly harmless. But what about the one who never walks but strides everywhere, talks in a clipped tone, affects a rough manner to cover up a weak and fearful will, tries to ingratiate himself with real-life police and military circles, etc. and ends up being trusted and seen as a person of responsibility and discretion? The proposed law should make it easier to perform due diligence searches against someone in the event that they are given so much benefit of the doubt that they're wrongly put in a position of responsibility.

There was a guy in a former workplace who was a real-life former SBS guy. That was in a vetted (civil service) position (not police or intel). The guy never boasted BUT there's no doubt he was trusted with responsibility and leadership because of his experience and training in the military. It's only fair that we can all be properly assured about the people in our organisations. Just imagine the guy or gal who puts on a convincing act one day at your workplace, and uses it to assume and project a false level of confidence, and propels himself or herself into a leadership position where they have to deal with real elites from the military or police? It would undermine everyone in that organisation.

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:22 - 28 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tawny wrote:

There was a guy in a former workplace who was a real-life former SBS guy. That was in a vetted (civil service) position (not police or intel). The guy never boasted BUT there's no doubt he was trusted with responsibility and leadership because of his experience and training in the military. It's only fair that we can all be properly assured about the people in our organisations. Just imagine the guy or gal who puts on a convincing act one day at your workplace, and uses it to assume and project a false level of confidence, and propels himself or herself into a leadership position where they have to deal with real elites from the military or police? It would undermine everyone in that organisation.

See the problem there is not people claiming false valour, its the really sloppy practice of trusting someone because they held some other position previously. It's right up there with "he was my mate at Eton".

Mawsley
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 07:47 - 28 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would anybody make it illegal for cocksocketdoctor to pretend he's had sex with a lady or ridden a motorbike?

I don't see the harm fantasists cause, unless they're pretending to be medical personnel or the like. I appreciate it must be a pita for someone to pretend to have been in a firefight when you actually were (or lost someone), but they aren't financially benefiting from it. If they are then surely fraud covers it?

*Obv. If Aaarons has ever done this then I support life sentencing.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:44 - 28 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tawny wrote:
But what about the one who never walks but strides everywhere, talks in a clipped tone, affects a rough manner to cover up a weak and fearful will, tries to ingratiate himself with real-life police and military circles, etc. and ends up being trusted and seen as a person of responsibility and discretion?

Chairman of the local MCC?

Anywhere that matters will do background checks.

Fraud is already a criminal offence.

It's a damn silly piece of posturing as a cheap sop to Tommy Atkins, while his housing falls apart and he gets paid tuppence ha'penny for having his danglies shot off.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:11 - 28 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

The biggest bullshitters about military service I've ever met are ex servicemen. Or indeed serving ones. So are they going to do them too?

I used to drink with a guy who single handedly re-took the Falkland islands from his position as a corporal in the logistics corps. You'd think they'd have given him some recognition...

If you take someone on in ANY position of responsability (or not even particularly responsible), you check their references and if they've lied, you kick them out as unsuitable early-doors. Otherwise the joke's on you.

Azoth
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 19:57 - 28 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some very astute people on this forum! I appreciate it.

I particularly agree with this common-sense advice:

stinkwheel wrote:
If you take someone on in ANY position of responsability (or not even particularly responsible), you check their references and if they've lied, you kick them out as unsuitable early-doors.

Without a shadow of a doubt, business and governmental organisations with any sense at all will carry out proper checks and weed out liars and posers. However, there are other types of organisations. For example, charities, and organisations made up of people who have convened out of a spirit of goodwill, good intentions, sharing and humility, rather than personal or mutual advantage. When it comes to those organisations, conducting checks, and examining the suitability of members as officers or responsible people tends to be more difficult.

There have been several cases in America and Britain, in which individuals have falsely claimed to have served in the armed forces and have obtained certification or members' numbers from organisations like the British Legion. They have then taken these and used them as accreditations elsewhere. This has happened because the legit members of veterans' associations and the likes assumed the best of them, and nobody thought it polite to make proper enquiries to check such people out.

It may seem a little strange to single out military service as a whole for special protection for veteran or ex-members' service. However, while people's reasons and circumstances, leading up to them joining the armed forces, may differ, once established in their military careers they may be deemed to have crossed a certain line marking a no-going-back point. A basic level of commitment that civilian jobs, even if they are much more difficult, simply don't demand. You can walk away from any civilian job without penalty, but military personnel can't do that. What's more, many of them have to develop a new psychological framework once they've joined. Their motivation can't simply be to make £n then go home, particularly if they're sent out on overseas tours. They have to have a certain level of commitment, patriotism and selflessness, otherwise they would be useless in their roles.

From what I have observed, many former military people tend to be very straightforward and effective when carrying out work tasks. However, they aren't the best at playing the political game of climbing the greasy pole in civilian life. When a psychopathic liar pretends to having served, using the backs of others' suffering (and, let's face it, military service probably isn't 'fun' but demands endurance and stoicism) and toil, and uses his or her knowledge of when to drop the right word at the right time to the right audience, just to elevate themselves in their career, that's completely unacceptable. But it's even worse when they do it just for the sake of their own ego, for flattery and acclaim, from within volunteer/benevolent organisations made up of the good and the gentle. That kind of shit must be stopped.

I've read up a little on this, and in the past, ranks and professions, civil and military, have enjoyed legal protection, on pain of punishment for transgressors. It's only recently in our history that we've done away with restrictions on dress and titles.

For all these reasons, I would welcome this new legislation, although I am deeply cynical about the government's true motivations in supporting it.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 22:35 - 28 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why should it only be the milatery that claims this specific "protection"?

Why should people in other jobs - dangerous, valourful, or not be accorded the same protection?

Azoth
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 22:55 - 28 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point. Similar protections should be in place, for a host of other professions. Until a relatively recent point in time, they were.

At the moment, you could have a man like this one:

https://www.legalcheek.com/2016/07/lord-harley-booted-out-of-profession/

The backstory of his claims is amazing. I think he's claimed to be a part of just about everything going, from aristocracy to the highest echelons of the military, to academia to St John's Ambulance service! They tried shaming him, but he's shameless. It didn't work. So they've kicked him out from the only actual entitlement he had, which is was a legal advocate. But surely he should be in jail, for the claims he made. They were really insulting and disrespectful.

However, to go back to the original question, why should ex-military have priority for this sort of protection? After all, former lawyers have no associations or clubs. Let me address this by way of an example. I was accosted in the street one day by a man who claimed he was dying. The guy was obviously a bit simple. He was talking to everyone. He said he was undergoing medical treatment for a host of different things. I let him go on and talk. He said he had injuries and trauma in the military and Iraq. As someone who has never served, I can't imagine how bad that must feel. He said he kept trying, but couldn't talk about some things, as he was too shocked, and he said Americans were animals, etc. Basically talked a lot. A lonely guy who needed a lot of professional help and support. But, above all, he needed a support association, in my opinion. People and a network of contacts who understood his plight. Strangers in the street couldn't help him. THAT's why fraudulent ex-military claims must be shot down first, before the other annoying lies that psychopaths peddle. It's important to get the right people and the right support in the right time and at the right place, for people like him.

If you go to General Chat, you'll find a thread there about classic motorcycles. It's a contentious topic, for sure. But people talk about 'nostalgia'. Ex-military personnel have ventured forth for kleos, and upon their return, they find they can't really 'return'. The impossibility of nostos, for them, is because they have changed, society has changed, people have changed and moved on, and nobody understands. That's why we give them a whole load of space for their own thing, and why we should weed out assholes who try to leverage advantage for themselves by laying false claim to being associated with the military. It isn't special treatment, it's just giving them a bit of space and respect.

The Wobbly Orange
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 23:01 - 28 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like a good idea to me.

I wonder however if the bill will apply to bloaters as well as walts.

For hose who don't know.

Walt...someone who claims service who never joined.

Bloater.....Someone who tells you he was in the SBS but was actually discharged 4 months into his chef submariner course for stealing. Did serve, but only just.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 23:17 - 28 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tawny wrote:
Good point. Similar protections should be in place, for a host of other professions. Until a relatively recent point in time, they were.

Details?

Why only specific ones?

Someone I know used to be a deep sea fisherman - considerably more dangerous than being in the Army. Yet I don't see people making a fuss over that.

Though Thinking, perhaps he was really in the Army and just trying to look more impressive!

Perhaps if so many didn't try and some on a pedestal for the job they choose, there wouldn't be so many of these issues anyway?

From what I can see there are plenty of laws to cover the important stuff already (ie fraud etc.)

Azoth
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 23:31 - 28 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:

Details?

Far too many to list. Legally protected dress codes... wow. So many of them. They started in Tudor England and reached their maximum under the Regency. There were laws for every profession/occupation. Even down to the type of cloth you were allowed to wear, length of your robe/tails, the size of your collar, the colour of your hat, etc. It's a massive subject.

Regarding what you're saying about laws already existing to cover fraud, I fully agree with you. Fraud is fraud. However, to cut to the essence of the argument, let's rephrase the question.

Is there anything that exalts military service?

Yes. There is a de facto tripartite division in Indo-European societies. In India, traditionally the priest (corresponding to the utterer of the Word, or Brahman), the warrior and the merchant. The speaker of the Brahman is highest, the warrior is next, and the merchant after that. Anyone below that isn't a freeman.
In Nordic societies there's a division between the chieftain-shaman, the warrior and the farmer. The chieftain-shaman endowed with secrets ('lore') is highest, followed by the warrior, followed by the farmer. Anyone outside that is an outsider - i.e. isn't a member of the village or tribe.
In Rome, there was a division between oratores, bellatores and laboratadores. The same pattern of precedence was in effect there as well.

Therefore, the status of the fighting man is substantive. It cannot be held to be at the same level as that of, for example, a fisherman, because the entirety of society depends on its speakers to define it, its fighters to protect it, and its producers (such as the farmer or another type of businessman) to finance it. The precedence follows in that order. One is more vital than the other.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 09:52 - 29 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tawny wrote:

Therefore, the status of the fighting man is substantive. It cannot be held to be at the same level as that of, for example, a fisherman, because the entirety of society depends on its speakers to define it, its fighters to protect it, and its producers (such as the farmer or another type of businessman) to finance it. The precedence follows in that order. One is more vital than the other.

Do you think overall the actions of this country's 'fighters' have reduced or increased the danger to our country in the last 30 years?

To clarify; You think their role is more vital to the country than those that provide food (and other dangerous work like construction) in the current day? What about health service workers?

Do you think this broadly applies to all military roles when compared to all other roles in other sectors?

Sload
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:34 - 29 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

And do you blaim the military troops or the leaders and corporate economies that need war to feed them?

And these weirdos are quite common, strange as folk.

Last edited by Sload on 14:30 - 29 Nov 2016; edited 1 time in total

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:43 - 29 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

See, this is why the Grey Council should have two from the Warrior Caste, two from the Religious Caste, and five from the Worker Caste.

Azoth
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 20:02 - 29 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's obviously a red herring to point at military personnel or the military as a whole and tar them as responsible for foreign policy failings over the last 30 or so years. What they do is simply follow orders. There are profound dimensions intrinsic in the military status. To achieve admittance into the group, it isn't necessary to be a 'fighter', but it is necessary to put all your personal egotistical wants and desires to one side and to put the corps first. That's one aspect of what sets it apart from the ordinary. The other, is that serious and solemn oaths and rituals, on pain of punishment and/or death, are conditional upon entry. That's why a military 'sapper' has a distinct status from a civil engineer. I'll return to this point, because it's an important pillar upon which the distinction of the class entity 'military' rests.

Regarding the other points that have been made, I think we might be talking at cross-purposes here. I share your view that civil occupations should merit the same legal protections and penalties applicable to imposters as are being proposed in the case of military and ex-military personnel. The latter part of the preceding discussion concerned only whether there is any sound basis for according priority to ex-military as a 'status'. However, there is no disagreement from me that the likes of the shoemaker and the carpenter should, likewise, be fully entitled to dignity, respect and legal protection.

Allow me to present this subject in yet another way that may help shed some light on why the proposed measures are warranted.

'Lord Harley' was put in the modern-day equivalent of the stocks. This had no effect, because in the civilian world, all of the old barriers and standards of decency and decorum have been severely eroded. There is practically no respect in society any more, although it was present at one time. How recently in the history of Britain would 'Lord Harley' have been found hanging from Blackfriars Bridge for making his absurd, outrageous and mocking claims that insulted a broad swathe of upright, right-thinking 'real' people? I would say, only a few decades ago! Why?

Take the case of the Freemasons. Everyone knows them as a secretive group that's been watered down. In their iniation oaths, the novice is clearly warned about the consequences of betraying the brotherhood. A dagger's point is, literally, brought to bear on his chest. In the past, the brotherhood of Freemasons would police itself by such means. And what were they? A professional association for builders! One that offered not only support and benefits, but the keys to universal secrets and the introduction to mystery religions that would otherwise remain out of reach of the townspeople who were allowed to join it. It gave the craft of masonry an unfathomable spiritual dimension, and no doubt enriched the lives of medieval artisans considerably. They didn't have to be actual chisellers but simply people who swore loyalty to the group and were admitted. But everyone knows that...

What about the case of London Taxi drivers? They can drive cars, but so can lots of people. What sets them apart is that they're a livery company, just like the Freemasons, seriously watered down. There is no personal or spiritual support emanating from the The Worshipful Company of Hackney Carriage Drivers. You don't even need to be a particularly good driver, to be one of them. You just have to pass their tests and be admitted.

And the Law Society? A livery company for lawyers. ACCA for accountants, etc. There are more than a hundred such active professional bodies that once enjoyed a protected status so that traitors belonging to them would be consigned to the river at night and fakers pretending to the public they belonged to them would go to prison and suffer. No longer, as they're all watered down. Only one's left: the military. As an institution, why should the military, with its traditions and costumes and titles and ranks, fall sway to the decadence of our times, just because everyone in civilian life arrogantly dresses how they like and claims what they like? Something has to be stable and sacred in the modern world. I see no reason why the profession of arms should go the same way as a defunct livery company and lose all its prestige. Rather, being 'ex-military' should be a protected title or status that any Tom, Dick or Harry should hesitate to feign. The same should apply to every other profession of repute that has 1) a solemn and serious initiation ritual; 2) a requirement to put the body corporal before the body individual.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 20:17 - 29 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Members of the armed services choose to join up and it's been made quite clear the sort of orders they may be getting (ie attack other sovereign nations etc).
Simply 'following orders' is sure fine if you win the war. Generally it puts you in a pretty bad light if you didn't win though, if you have to fall back on that.
Plenty of jobs expect you to put your ego etc aside and work for the team. And in all walks including the military this of course doesn't happen with everyone it's requested of.

Plenty of other jobs require specific behaviour, which will see you punished if caught transgressing, or killed if you're unlucky.

I see no justification that military personal should be given special status over others. It's a job that has a lot of down sides, but for many people a lot of benefits. The same as many other jobs. There's nothing that special about it that I see to justify the fervour.

I've always disliked the idea of 'tradition' - seems to be justifying actions that wouldn't otherwise be justifiable. If there's good reasons to do, then go ahead for those reasons, not 'tradition'.
Suicide, bullying, torture and shooting civilians are also military 'traditions'.

The arrogance I see is from those that demand respect of someone because of the clothing they wear. I have no problem with people who 'dress how they like' but I do have a problem if others are expected to give respect for that.

For what it's worth, I think it's just as silly that Glastonbury festival doesn't allow us to wear 'Indian Head Dresses' - especially as I don't see Indians prevented from wearing suits, or maybe a morris dancing outfit.

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:36 - 29 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
See, this is why the Grey Council should have two from the Warrior Caste, two from the Religious Caste, and five from the Worker Caste.
The avalanche has begun. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:36 - 30 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

You seem to believe that anyone who joins the armed forces puts their ego and individuality to one side for the greater good. I think that's a bit naive.
Some people join for a career, some join to escape a life with no prospects. There are many reasons.
I think this proposal is just buying into all the help for heroes bullshit.

owl10
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 23:52 - 30 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tawny wrote:

There was a guy in a former workplace who was a real-life former SBS guy. That was in a vetted (civil service) position (not police or intel). The guy never boasted BUT there's no doubt he was trusted with responsibility and leadership because of his experience and training in the military.

That's got it's own issues. Granted, everyone is different. But having worked with a lot of ex military types (still do), what can be seen a leadership in the military can be very different than civy street.

Spending 30 years being told to do a task a certain way and not ask why doesn't easily translate to fresh thinking and problem solving in a commercial environment.

(Though some take to it well enough)
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 146 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2