Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Picos, Pyrenees and Alps Trip (Trip account starts page 3)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Ash-69
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 20:14 - 22 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also looking at this with interest, although the first leg motorway slog from the Northwest to Portsmouth is a pain in the arse (literally on the stock 'seat).

I thought about maybe trying to fit it into a week, day to the ferry, over-nighter to Santander, stop-overs in Pamplona, Sort, Perpignan, back west through France to Biarritz, then follow the coast back to Santander for the return trip.

Mileages look doable assuming good weather around May, no idea when the Ferrys start to get expensive, the one I had a quick look at was around £300 return for a solo with bike.

Anyway probably dreaming, my usual group like their run round Scotland at that time ... Rolling Eyes

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:32 - 05 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been dragging my feet over this, but not sure why. I want to do it, but I don't seem able to formulate a plan. Will be doing it on my lonesome now.
I'm now thinking of hitting the Picos first. Got my eye on a hotel in Riano to use as a base for exploring, but not sure how many days to book it for.
Then thinking of one or two nights stopover in Pamplona before heading south. Possibly book somewhere in/near Sort for a few days. Up to this point I'd like to get pre-booked, but leave the rest open, and see how I feel.

Paddy. wrote:
To be honest strip... I really enjoyed July, I'd prefer to go mid June though. More chance of sun.

Yes, My idea of April/early May has been kicked into touch. Now thinking early June. I've also been pondering over your comment about taking more time, doing less miles. My last Euro trip got a bit long on the daily mileages, but that was largely due to trying to escape bad weather. Bike is booked in for a service, tyres etc, so at least that will be ready.

Any further comments, advice and motivation to get off my arse about it would be much appreciated!
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TheDonUK
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:56 - 05 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sort would be a good base for a few days, Go off for a day in either direction and have a great ride. Thumbs Up

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:29 - 06 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ferry booked Very Happy

Arrival is 18:15 in Santander; anyone recommend a hotel there for one night?
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:42 - 06 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

found this on another forum ... not sure if its what your lookin for or is indeed suitable because of the millage involved from the ferry..

However...

https://etxalar.com/

https://goo.gl/maps/TYKBW8LzQmx

Hotel Etxalar

Postby KeithM » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:32 pm

https://www.etxalar.com/

"Naff website but great hotel, at the western end of the Pyrenees on the N121A between Pamplona and Irun. Spotless rooms, underground garage parking (small charge) bike washing area, good bar and patio. Also a swimming pool out the back which looked pretty good. They were rebuilding the N121A whilst we were there in 2008 so I expect the road is nearly finished now, hmm nice new tarmac."

NB. the date posted .... Shocked
caveat emptor

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:50 - 07 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Copycat, but I'll be headed in the opposite direction to begin with, for the Picos. I want something where I can get off the ferry and not go too far that night. I will of course look on booking.com if no suitable suggestions are made, but thought I'd try here first in case someone had done the same and hit on a decent place. Reasonably secure parking for the bike is the priority of course.

raesewell
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 09:40 - 07 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Ferry booked Very Happy

Arrival is 18:15 in Santander; anyone recommend a hotel there for one night?

We are arriving at a similar time in September and we have booked the Hotel Don Paco in Llanes just under an hour from Santander.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:34 - 07 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

raesewell wrote:
We are arriving at a similar time in September and we have booked the Hotel Don Paco in Llanes just under an hour from Santander.

Coast road. Are you heading for Portugal, or turning south for the Picos?
I've now booked one night in Torrelavega. Short ride from the port, I'll just want to wander into town for a bite at that time of the evening. Then got 4 nights booked in Riano to explore the region, which should also give me time to look at the coast road if it's worth it - anything in particular to do that for? After that, still thinking a couple of nights in Pamplona, then head down for Sort. Then I'll probably decide and book as I go.

I note that Pamplona to Sort is 200 miles via Jaca and the N260. Can anybody say whether that will be too far given a) the kind of roads/stops I may want to make, and b) given that I'll spend a few days at Sort as a base for exploring? Seems a reasonable mileage to me.

Last edited by chickenstrip on 20:56 - 07 Apr 2017; edited 1 time in total

raesewell
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 14:29 - 07 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are going to Llanes, Navia, Santiago De Compostela, Astorga, Las Arenas and Bilbao.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:48 - 07 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that's it; booked up to and including Sort, Pyrenees Very Happy

Itinerary thus far is:

Ferry, Portsmouth to Santander.
1 night at Torrelavega
4 nights at Riano
2 nights at Pamplona
5 nights at Sort.

Then just see how it goes.

I think one of these might be appropriate at this point:

Bounce!

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:30 - 07 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

a report on the facilities , service, food and cleanliness of said boat would be interesting Thumbs Up

raesewell
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 18:48 - 07 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's pretty much like any other ferry crossing. The cabins are clean the food is passable. The beer is good Very Happy
You have to go down a fairly steep ramp once on the boat and there's a tight turn at the bottom.

Dave V4
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 23:09 - 07 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me and a pal are doing Pyrenees and a bit of picos this year along with with moto gp at Catalonia. We are hoping to spend a couple of days around the picos before heading towards the French side, onto sort and then 2 nights outside of Barcelona for the gp. Head back to Santander taking in as much as the 260 as possible for a 10 night jaunt. We head out on the 3rd June from Plymouth

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:58 - 08 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

raesewell wrote:
It's pretty much like any other ferry crossing. The cabins are clean the food is passable. The beer is good Very Happy
You have to go down a fairly steep ramp once on the boat and there's a tight turn at the bottom.

would be takin a transit van so should be fine.. Thumbs Up

Enduro Numpty
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 16:26 - 09 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me and the missus arrive in Santander on 29th May. 3 days staying at Potes in the Picos. 1 night in Jaca then 4 nights in Vielha. After that, 6 days in Mataro which includes the Motogp.

If the dates and the locations tie in, if anyone's up for meeting up for a day on the bikes/meal/piss-up we'd be up for it?

Dave V4
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 19:21 - 10 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enduro Numpty wrote:
Me and the missus arrive in Santander on 29th May. 3 days staying at Potes in the Picos. 1 night in Jaca then 4 nights in Vielha. After that, 6 days in Mataro which includes the Motogp.

If the dates and the locations tie in, if anyone's up for meeting up for a day on the bikes/meal/piss-up we'd be up for it?

If all goes to plan we will be in seva for 2 nights from 10th June but thats an hour away from you, we will be at the moto gp on the Sunday. No idea what sort of time we will get to the hotel either yet tbh.

Last edited by Dave V4 on 20:20 - 10 Apr 2017; edited 1 time in total

Scythe
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 19:33 - 10 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Well, that's it; booked up to and including Sort, Pyrenees Very Happy

Itinerary thus far is:

1 night at Torrelavega
4 nights at Riano
2 nights at Pamplona
5 nights at Sort.

Then just see how it goes.

I think one of these might be appropriate at this point:

Bounce!

Riano is a lovely place, I did it last year, although we stayed in Potes which is also a great town with great roads close by. There is a mountain nearby which you can get a cable car up, which is good for a couple of hours (you'll have to google it as I can't remember what it's called). We did it on the last day as a relax day and it was lovely.

As I've just seen that Enduro is going to Potes too (and for anyone else who may read this), the Hotel Infantado in Potes is a great hotel and very welcoming to a group of bikes (there were about 10 of us on 7 bikes).

Due to the temperatures, it's best to get an early start and be back at the hotel early afternoon. The roads, particularly high up, are very challenging and technical, and the temperatures start to get a bit too much. Plus then you can sit back and have a few beers in the afternoon and recharge for the next day!

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:02 - 10 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scythe wrote:
informative stuff

Nice to hear your commendation of Riano. I had read from a few sources that it might make a good base for exploring the region, some here on BCF, some elsewhere. Quite a lot of my plan is based on BCFers recommendations and experience in fact. Cheers BCF! Thumbs Up

Good tip on the cable car, something I may well check out.
And on the weather; as with any bike trip, it's something you wonder about a lot, not least after much of my last Euro trip was such a wash out, and forced massive changes of plan on the fly. I have read that the Picos can be prone to a lot of fog, as moist air comes in off the sea, but I guess as with all mountain regions, you just have to go with the flow and be prepared for a wide range of conditions.
What time of year did you go at?

Lupo
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 00:37 - 14 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a link to a Spanish website with some routes in Picos de Europa and near Sort and to more places if you use the search function. They come with the route in google maps so though it will be usefull.

You probably can get away using Google translate but if you need any help with the translation let me know.

https://es.wikiloc.com/rutas/motociclismo?t=&d=&lfr=<o=&a=motociclismo&q=picos+de+europa

https://es.wikiloc.com/rutas/motociclismo?t=&d=&lfr=<o=&a=motociclismo&q=sort

And never been but maybe it is interesting:

https://www.museumoto.com/en/museus/8/museo-moto-bassella

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 03:06 - 14 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that freyuk.

Some of those rides are a bit long for me for day trips within the longer trip - I wanted to keep my daily mileages a bit lower, take more time to absorb the surroundings, so I've figured out a number of possible routes to do. Nice to see they actually incorporate much of those suggested in your links where they stay a bit closer to where my hotels are booked.

But thanks for taking the time to post them Thumbs Up

Scythe
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 10:09 - 14 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Scythe wrote:
informative stuff

Nice to hear your commendation of Riano. I had read from a few sources that it might make a good base for exploring the region, some here on BCF, some elsewhere. Quite a lot of my plan is based on BCFers recommendations and experience in fact. Cheers BCF! Thumbs Up

Good tip on the cable car, something I may well check out.
And on the weather; as with any bike trip, it's something you wonder about a lot, not least after much of my last Euro trip was such a wash out, and forced massive changes of plan on the fly. I have read that the Picos can be prone to a lot of fog, as moist air comes in off the sea, but I guess as with all mountain regions, you just have to go with the flow and be prepared for a wide range of conditions.
What time of year did you go at?

We went mid August. Temperatures were regularly up at high 20s to low 30s, be sure to have some room to carry water. A lot of the mountain roads in the Picos are very isolated and it can take a lot of time to get to the nearest town.

I didn't see any fog whilst I was there, with the exception to the coastal motorway, but it more like a fine mist.

We didn't go into the Riano town itself, but it looked smaller than Potes. Potes seemed to be one of the main towns in the areas and obviously had the eateries to accommodate.

If you have any specific questions give me a PM so I know to look back on here.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:44 - 14 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going at the beginning of June, so hopefully won't be too hot. Hopefully won't piss down either!
I had wondered why everyone seems to choose Potes for hotel stops, but I like quiet, and Riano does seem to be a little more in the heart of the scenery. There seem to be a few restaurants there, and petrol, so suits my needs I think.

Scythe
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 19:51 - 14 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Going at the beginning of June, so hopefully won't be too hot. Hopefully won't piss down either!
I had wondered why everyone seems to choose Potes for hotel stops, but I like quiet, and Riano does seem to be a little more in the heart of the scenery. There seem to be a few restaurants there, and petrol, so suits my needs I think.

Finally got round to sorting though the trip photos.

The cable car is called Fuente De - a quick google should find it.

Don't think because Potes is a main town it is busy, far from it. The whole region is very quiet. I'll dig some photos out and send you them in PM so you can see better.

Enduro Numpty
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 19:54 - 14 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

We like to have something to do at our stop overs. A choice of restaurants, bars and maybe some sights other than the landscapes. That's why we chose Potes and Vielha though Vielha wasn't exactly jumping in early June last year, but it's a good base for days out on the superb roads.
Counting the days till we leave. FJR is all fully serviced and new tyres fitted on the spare wheels all ready for the trip.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:09 - 14 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enduro Numpty wrote:
We like to have something to do at our stop overs. A choice of restaurants, bars and maybe some sights other than the landscapes. That's why we chose Potes and Vielha though Vielha wasn't exactly jumping in early June last year, but it's a good base for days out on the superb roads.

I'm generally pretty tired after a day's riding, so I find I don't need much in the way of evening distractions, especially when I'm on my own, as I will be on this trip. But I've chosen to spend a day in Pamplona along the way, and may add more days like that elsewhere, depending on how far my trip extends, to take in something a bit different to the mountain scenery.

Quote:
Counting the days till we leave. FJR is all fully serviced and new tyres fitted on the spare wheels all ready for the trip.

My Fazer is going in for a full service and new tyres later this month. Got to sort out my insurance and Euro breakdown cover yet, but haven't decided who to go with. I'd prefer to have it all in one package I think. Currently with MCE, but a lot of bad press for them around here lately, and I'd like someone I could trust.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 350 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7