Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Picos, Pyrenees and Alps Trip (Trip account starts page 3)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Enduro Numpty
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 20:02 - 03 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some more brilliant photos and descriptions from Chickenstrip. This is my second attempt at a post - had a big long monologue done on the phone, pressed the wrong button and it all disappeared Sad

Anyway, very little in the way of photos and they don't even come close to Chickenstrips masterpieces so I won't waste time even attempting to load them to photobucket etc..

After possibly the worst steak we've ever had at some road side restaurant somewhere between Jaca and the French border we managed to get a couple of drinks at our "hotel" last night. A couple of young guys on a Fireblade and Gixer got a taxi into Jaca and most likely got pished as their was no sign of them at breakfast this morning.

As we loaded the bike the rain that had been threatening finally started but with under 200km to Vielha we decided just to go. Just as we were about to connect with the N260 the rain got torrential and we ended up sheltering in an underpass with a Spanish couple on a bike. 20 minutes later we were on one of the fairly open stretches of the N260 (approx 480Km - 400km markers). Before too long the roads dried out and the temperatures rose from around 14c to 22c. We just pottered along enjoying the sights and strangely enough the smells that the rain seemed to have released. All was going well till the inevitable sat nav fuck up at Campo. After 10 minutes or so of shouting at the technology we were eventually back on track (not the planned track but some sort of track). All this time the temperatures were dropping and the sky was getting darker. By the time we were seeing signs for Vielha on the normally superb section of the N230 the rain was torrential and just after Bono and the Bono tunnel (that little man gets everywhere!!) a big Mercedes was spun off and stuck in the drainage gully with the extremely distressed woman driver frantically on her phone in the downpour. All the emergency services sped towards us but apart from a damaged car and the upset driver all appeared to be well. The 5.3km Vielha tunnel offered welcome respite from the rain but the descent into Vielha itself was the wettest few miles of the trip so far. 1/2 hour in the rain trying to find our apartment and another 15 minutes trying to find the seriously secure bike parking and then it was done. Apart from soggy gloves I was more or less dry.

A visit to our favourite bar/restaurant from last year for food and just in time to see an injured Rossi qualify on the front row for tomorrows Italian Motogp at Mugello - Superb!! Nice to know that we've got somewhere to watch the race Very Happy

Weather permitting we've got a short 100 mile loop planned for after the race taking in the superb C13 and C28 from Vielha to Sort and a bit more on the N260, N230 Very Happy

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:26 - 03 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enduro Numpty wrote:
We just pottered along enjoying the sights and strangely enough the smells that the rain seemed to have released.

It's sometimes referred to as petrichor - which is something of a neologism, first used back in the '60s by two Australian researchers. Apparently it's the product of a geological and organic interaction between soil/rock and certain plants.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:00 - 03 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enduro Numpty wrote:
After 10 minutes or so of shouting at the technology

Laughing

I recall being very grateful for every tunnel on the motorway from northern Italy to our turn off for Ramsau in Austria last year. I would have been even more grateful if we could have stopped in them!

It is very fragrant around here, but I noticed it before the rain came, although that has undoubtedly enhanced the effect.

It looks like tomorrow will be even more of a wash-out than today was here in the Picos, but then much better from Monday. Don't know what I'll do with myself tomorrow then Thinking
It would have been nice to have had one more nice day here, but still got the Pyrenees to come, so mustn't be too disappointed I suppose.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dave70
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:40 - 03 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
still got the Pyrenees to come, so mustn't be too disappointed I suppose.

I visited the Pyrenees about 20 years or so ago (not by bike obviously) and I don't think you'll be disappointed with the views. Can't really comment on the roads though.

2012: R125 killed by white van. 2016 R125 killed by 30,000 miles of redline. Current: 2016 Kawasaki ER6f.

Lupo
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 01:57 - 04 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the write ups and pictures, amazing scenery.

Enduro Numpty
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 09:04 - 04 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

It would have been nice to have had one more nice day here, but still got the Pyrenees to come, so mustn't be too disappointed I suppose.

It looks like the weather in the Pyrenees picks up for you arriving Very Happy and us leaving Confused

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:15 - 04 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not much of a day again today. Low cloud over the mountains, so I knew there wouldn't be any great views to be had again, but thought I'd better get out anyway. For the first few miles out of Riano it wasn't bad - at least the roads were dry, so I could have some fun heading towards Potes. This could have been nasty though, coming round a blind bend only to be impaled on some vicious looking horns:

https://i.postimg.cc/Bby3XTtM/DSCN9062.jpg

They seemed docile enough though. Had to wait for about ten minutes for them all to file past. Climbed into the clag for the San Glorio pass, nothing to be seen Sad but I pushed on anyway, and it cleared for the last few miles into Potes. Had a bite to eat and coffee there, and a wander around the town, doing the touristy bit:

https://i.postimg.cc/1RYsCQMw/DSCN9067.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/ZKBZXMDg/DSCN9066.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/1RT10K5K/DSCN9070.jpg

Then headed to Fuente De. I knew I wouldn't see anything, and the cable car would be a fruitless exercise, but went just to enjoy the road, which again, was fun until it started climbing. By the time I got to the car park for the cable car, it was like this:

https://i1291.photobucket.com/albums/b550/nicknicklxs/DSCN9087_zps2a74t7mt.jpg

So turned around and headed back to Riano; one last shot just before reentering the cloud on the way up to the pass:

https://i1291.photobucket.com/albums/b550/nicknicklxs/DSCN9095_zpsxuhgcyzg.jpg

Back down the other side, and the weather soon improved again, so went a little way beyond Riano, cos that's a cracking bit of road too. Couple more not particularly great mountain shots:

https://i.postimg.cc/jd70MJDY/DSCN9099.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/vZwRkHng/DSCN9133.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/zGwmrZwd/DSCN9108.jpg

Covered about 120 miles today. And that, folks, was the Picos de Europa. As mentioned, Pamplona for a couple of nights from tomorrow.

Enduro Numpty wrote:
It looks like the weather in the Pyrenees picks up for you arriving Very Happy and us leaving Confused

I'll take it! Laughing

N.B. for anyone heading this way in the future, might be worth noting that although Sunday, fuel was available in both Potes and Riano.
/public information broadcast.

P.S. Every single other Brit biker I've spoken to here has just come back from/is headed for Portugal. So if the weather in the Alps is crap when it comes to it, might be a plan. Must be something worth the effort there (one chap said, "yeah, it's cheap! Laughing ).
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

Last edited by chickenstrip on 01:00 - 01 Oct 2019; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Enduro Numpty
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 16:51 - 04 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're just back from an attempt at riding to Sort. Rode through pea soup fog to the top of Port de la Bonaigua on the C28 hoping that it would be clear on the other side but if anything it was worse so we abandoned it and headed back to Vielha. Hopefully the weather will improve tomorrow.

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:08 - 05 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shame about the bad weather again fellas. Sorry to hear! Everything else going smoothly other that the weather Sad ?

Fingers crossed it gets better for you.

If its any consolation, this is the forecast for the weather here tomorrow:

https://s20.postimg.org/caaikihu5/Screenshot_2017-06-05_at_00.07.05.png

Enduro Numpty
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 17:31 - 05 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally, some decent weather Very Happy We took the C13 from Vielha over the 2072m Port de la Bonaigua and down the other side to Sort. From Sort, the N260 Very Happy to Seo d' Urgell near Andorra. I thought about going through Andorra and into France and back to Vielha that way but we did it last year and it was a really long route that wasn't particularly interesting. Instead we doubled back to Sort and from there the 260 to Pueblo de Segour, Pont du Suert and back to Vielha through the Vielha tunnel. It's the first time we've ever arrived in Vielha via the tunnel and it hasn't been raining and the views are absolutely stunning.

Chickenstrip - I'd highly recommend the run up to Vielha and back down to Sort via Port de la Bonaigua when you get here. Watch for gravel on the hairpins though!! It's part of the road maintenance regime and it's very difficult to see.

2 more nights and 1 full day before we head for Mataro. Hope the weather holds...........

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:33 - 05 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enduro Numpty wrote:
Finally, some decent weather Very Happy We took the C13 from Vielha over the 2072m Port de la Bonaigua and down the other side to Sort. From Sort, the N260 Very Happy to Seo d' Urgell near Andorra. I thought about going through Andorra and into France and back to Vielha that way but we did it last year and it was a really long route that wasn't particularly interesting. Instead we doubled back to Sort and from there the 260 to Pueblo de Segour, Pont du Suert and back to Vielha through the Vielha tunnel. It's the first time we've ever arrived in Vielha via the tunnel and it hasn't been raining and the views are absolutely stunning.

Chickenstrip - I'd highly recommend the run up to Vielha and back down to Sort via Port de la Bonaigua when you get here. Watch for gravel on the hairpins though!! It's part of the road maintenance regime and it's very difficult to see.

2 more nights and 1 full day before we head for Mataro. Hope the weather holds...........

Glad you had a good day today, the good weather must make such a difference to the experience. Will we be seeing any photos?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:40 - 05 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tracer1234 wrote:

If its any consolation, this is the forecast for the weather here tomorrow:

https://s20.postimg.org/caaikihu5/Screenshot_2017-06-05_at_00.07.05.png

Weather has been sunny all day, if a bit on the chilly side to begin with, but now very warm here in Pamplona Smile

chickenstrip wrote:
And that, folks, was the Picos de Europa.

Not quite. This was my route out of the region:

Morning route

Great little mountain roads, completely empty, and although the scenery couldn't match the heart of the Picos, it was stunning enough:

https://i.postimg.cc/MT3fyk8W/DSCN9144.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/FzccmP2N/DSCN9146.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/G2TTJ73G/DSCN9147.jpg

I sooooo wanted to go along that valley up ahead, and there was a road through it, but alas, wasn't my route:

https://i.postimg.cc/nrZVj0XH/DSCN9157.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/XqDhSvST/DSCN9160.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/WztWnPFS/DSCN9164.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/vTjP2S5y/DSCN9166.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/K4SPMXn1/DSCN9173.jpg

I was headed out there somewhere:

https://i.postimg.cc/dtkNZwKV/DSCN9171.jpg

So then I left the mountains behind for the long slog via N and A roads here to Pamplona. I'll have a wander around the city tomorrow; they apparently have a map at reception, and the city centre is about a mile from this hotel.

Ha, just about to hit the post button; your timing couldn't have been more spot on, Enduro! I'll bear your suggestion in mind Thumbs Up

Last edited by chickenstrip on 16:49 - 01 Oct 2019; edited 2 times in total

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:56 - 05 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you had a better day today. Looks like some stunning views. Many other bikes out and about? Many nice places to stop and have a break along the way?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:03 - 05 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having left Riano, I didn't see a single bike until I hit the main roads heading east. That route above seems to be very little used. It winds along the banks of a very long reservoir, the road rising and falling as it goes, and there are only a few scattered, tiny hamlets along the way. Unfortunately, there weren't great views to be had with the reservoir itself, as there were trees lining the road side, blocking such as there might have been.

Actually, didn't see many bikes on the main routes either; two police bikes parked up at a service station I stopped at, not much else. It is Monday, after all.

Enduro Numpty
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 21:50 - 05 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tracer1234 wrote:

Glad you had a good day today, the good weather must make such a difference to the experience. Will we be seeing any photos?

Thanks, the weather made a big difference!

I tried to load some photos to photobucket but wifi in accommodation is a hit or a miss. Hunger and a requirement for a nice Rioja won the day over watching upload progress on the hideously slow laptop. I will make a serious effort to load something up if we ever get decent internet but they won't even come close to what Chickenstrip has posted.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:55 - 05 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enduro Numpty wrote:

I tried to load some photos to photobucket but wifi in accommodation is a hit or a miss. Hunger and a requirement for a nice Rioja won the day over watching upload progress on the hideously slow laptop.

I'm a sad, lonely git Crying or Very sad

Laughing

The beers have flowed rather well tonight, however, and I'm feeling no pain Wasted

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:56 - 05 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enduro Numpty wrote:
Tracer1234 wrote:

Thanks, the weather made a big difference!

I tried to load some photos to photobucket but wifi in accommodation is a hit or a miss. Hunger and a requirement for a nice Rioja won the day over watching upload progress on the hideously slow laptop. I will make a serious effort to load something up if we ever get decent internet but they won't even come close to what Chickenstrip has posted.

FYI, https://postimage.io/ is alot better that Photobucket. Photobucted is crammed full of adds and very very slow, Postimg is much quicker.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:54 - 06 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just spent a few hours wandering around Pamplona city today, just to get a rest from riding, which is much needed as it plays havoc with my shoulder sometimes when I do long distances or challenging roads day after day. Thought I'd post a few shots, just in case anyone is interested (and I'm bored) Smile

https://i.postimg.cc/wTYHBWSZ/DSCN9178.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/HLqvtN4C/DSCN9180.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/63CjbhY4/DSCN9198.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/J7cYbPs9/DSCN9205.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/02kWZDmr/DSCN9209.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/Fz9ZWXYw/DSCN9213.jpg

Montage on the outside of the bull fighting stadium:

https://i.postimg.cc/ZnVLXs3n/DSCN9214.jpg

The stadium itself is an unspectacular affair from the outside, so no pics of that.

https://i.postimg.cc/W3Sr4F4f/DSCN9220.jpg

Statuary celebrating the famous Pamplona Bull Run (which I think is held in July):

https://i.postimg.cc/T3Wrc3kp/DSCN9218.jpg

That was about all that caught my eye really. I wouldn't really recommend Pamplona for it's architecture, which is somewhat plain. Can't speak for it's night life, as I'm not really a night life kind of chap these days Sad Smile ........ Confused But there are plenty of cafes and bars, and the hotel I'm in is fine, secure underground parking for the bike again*. Took about 20 mins to walk into the heart of the city.

Tomorrow the destination is Sort, Pyrenees, and the weather forecast looks generally pretty good, looking forward to that!

*at 10 Euros per night! Shocked Mad

Last edited by chickenstrip on 17:05 - 01 Oct 2019; edited 4 times in total

Enduro Numpty
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 17:39 - 06 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

We just booked our Hotel in Pamplona for 2 nights prior to the boat home from Bilbao after the Motogp.

Back to today: After yesterdays great 200 or so miles I set the bar a bit higher today. The route was going to take us into France and cover a lot of the passes we've done in previous trips, the highlight being the Col de Pourtalet and more of the N260 when we crossed back into Spain. Possibly a bit ambitious with at least 400 miles of tight passes. We were barely 20 miles from Vielha climbing up the N141 towards the French border when we were enveloped in the familiar cloud. The higher we climbed the wetter it got and soon it was near zero visibility. We did a couple more climbs and descents on the French side but the further we went the wetter it got. We stopped for a coffee and a rethink and got talking to a nice American guy who apologised profusely for his countries poor choice of leader. The weather just got wetter and colder so we about turned and headed back to Vielha where it was still dry. Decided to give the bike a quick jet wash and ate a big lunch.

Wifi seems better today and laptop currently uploading photos. Thanks Tracer1234, a much better photo loader 'thingy' than photobucket Thumbs Up Hopefully get some loaded on here at some point but nothing like Chickenstrip quality.

PS..Chickenstrip, like the photo of the bronze bulls - we got the exact same photo last year.

PPS: I hate fucking technology - all the photos I thought I was uploading aren't there. Think I need to find a tech savvy local 8 year old to do this computer shit!!! Sad Confused Mad Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:58 - 06 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
................and the hotel I'm in is fine, secure underground parking for the bike again. Took about 20 mins to walk into the heart of the city.

post a link m8 so we can check it out Thumbs Up

Enduro Numpty
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 18:09 - 06 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got it to work - no guarantees that I'll be able to do it again!!

The first few days, in and around Potes and Riano.

https://s26.postimg.org/3pk4t8gy1/20170529_155341.jpg

https://s26.postimg.org/pskcwp39l/20170530_104755.jpg

https://s26.postimg.org/kife5ej0p/20170530_104955.jpg

https://s26.postimg.org/ra5t89809/20170530_105007.jpg

https://s26.postimg.org/q9a5wvgeh/20170530_110817.jpg

https://s26.postimg.org/ihtfybc95/20170530_110836.jpg

https://s26.postimg.org/9bb5b170p/20170530_111255.jpg

https://s26.postimg.org/eb8lizcnd/20170530_111308.jpg

https://s26.postimg.org/f21borf0p/20170530_121428.jpg

https://s26.postimg.org/mjaj3z4jt/20170530_121431.jpg

https://s26.postimg.org/6mbr79c5l/20170530_121521.jpg

https://s26.postimg.org/fimjb72rt/20170530_121717.jpg

https://s26.postimg.org/jt176s7ux/20170530_125518.jpg

https://s26.postimg.org/rn1ss6fnt/20170530_125649.jpg

https://s26.postimg.org/9ln984b0p/20170530_140759.jpg

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:13 - 06 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good both you you. Glad you got the photos to work! It sucks that the weather is shite for you, but at least your getting some good weather occasionally.

Any close calls or side of the road repairs either of you?

Enduro Numpty
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 18:15 - 06 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copycat73 wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:
................and the hotel I'm in is fine, secure underground parking for the bike again. Took about 20 mins to walk into the heart of the city.

post a link m8 so we can check it out Thumbs Up

This is where we just booked - were there last year and underground parking is seriously good. Hotel itself is good and reasonably close to old town. Maybe same as Chickenstrip?
https://www.booking.com/searchresults.en-gb.html?aid=330631;label=msn-kOnkorohBPHHV9YQkVlrqQ-460437955%3Atikwd-3473394734%3Aneo%3Amte%3Adec%3Aqshotel%20pamplona%20plaza;sid=5cd4f6728cae01ff1eb48f80c17298a1;checkin=2017-06-13;checkout=2017-06-15;city=-395308;highlighted_hotels=94293;hlrd=with_av;keep_landing=1;redirected=1;source=hotel&utm_campaign=Hotel%20-%20Spain&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=bing&utm_term=kOnkorohBPHHV9YQkVlrqQ&

Enduro Numpty
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 18:19 - 06 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tracer1234 wrote:
Looks good both you you. Glad you got the photos to work! It sucks that the weather is shite for you, but at least your getting some good weather occasionally.

No close calls or any mechanical issues but put a euro in the jet wash and the lance leapt out of it's holder like a crazed snake soaking us both Laughing

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:22 - 06 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enduro Numpty wrote:
Tracer1234 wrote:

No close calls or any mechanical issues but put a euro in the jet wash and the lance leapt out of it's holder like a crazed snake soaking us both Laughing

Good times lol.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 317 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7