Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Failed Mod 1 Today

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

LIB3RTY
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:41 - 29 Nov 2016    Post subject: Failed Mod 1 Today Reply with quote

Hi everyone, new Biker here.

So I took my Mod 1 today and was fairly confident up until this morning. For whatever reason my anxiety levels just went through the roof. I had planned for this somewhat though and so booked an hour session with my Riding Instructor to get some last minute practise in before the test.

This practise session went fine up until about 20 minutes in, the throttle cable snapped on a busy road and I had a pretty close call with a BMW that had been up my backside all along the road. I ended up having to leave the bike by the side of the road and rode Pillion back to the Bike School to pick up a second bike (another instructor got called and he went and picked up the broken bike in a van).

We got back to the school and hopped on another bike, only for that one to die on me before I had even made it to the end of the road - somehow the engine flooded. Luckily there was a third bike available and that one ran smoothly.

So by this time we had no time left to get any practise in and had to make our way to the test center. We set off and despite how anxious I was given all the crap I had had to put up with so far on the day we made it there in one piece.

When we pulled up and went in to the center I was still full of nerves and when it came time to go into the tarmac court I was full on shaking. I pulled up to the right hand box as had been suggested by other Bikers I talk to and parked it there and waited for the Examiner to walk over to me.

Here is where I failed, literally right at the start of the test. When asked to wheel the bike out of that box and into the left I tried to do it in one long reverse U Turn. I got half way around and then my foot slipped on a bit of frost on the ground and I felt the bike begin to topple. I managed to wedge my right knee under it to stop it dropping but struggled to get it back up straight (It was a big 650cc and I am only 5ft 7" and 10 stone). I struggled for a bit but the front wheel had locked to the left and each time I tried to straighten it out I'd feel it start to tip over to the right, at which point I would try to stop it and the front wheel would left lock again. I stood there, using all my strength, feet slipping on the frosty ground, my breath fogging up my glasses to the point I could barely see out of them, for what must have been 2 or 3 minutes. At this point the Examiner just put his hand on my shoulder and helped me get the bike back onto its stand and informed me that I had failed the test. On the walk back inside he told me I should had done a three point turn to ge the bike into the other box. This pissed me off actually as I had not been told that a three point turn was an option. Not only had my Instructor not told me (we hadn't even practised this part), the YouTube videos I watched all had people doing it the way I tried (though looking back at these vids they are all on little 125cc bikes which I know are a lot lighter).

The embarrassment was awful though, I felt like such an idiot and a weakling. You guys are the first I am telling this to, my friends and family think I failed on the swerve (I was too embarrassed to tell them the truth).

So all in all it was pretty awful day. I have a 2 hour session booked with my Instructor next week to go over everything again and build my confidence back up. To all those who complain about failing on the figure of eight or the emergency stop etc, don't feel too bad, it could be a lot worse and a lot more embarrassing. I didn't even get the thing into 1st gear before failing!

Azoth
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 21:02 - 29 Nov 2016    Post subject: Re: Failed Mod 1 Today Reply with quote

LIB3RTY wrote:
Here is where I failed, literally right at the start of the test. When asked to wheel the bike out of that box and into the left I tried to do it in one long reverse U Turn. I got half way around and then my foot slipped on a bit of frost on the ground and I felt the bike begin to topple. I managed to wedge my right knee under it to stop it dropping but struggled to get it back up straight (It was a big 650cc and I am only 5ft 7" and 10 stone). I struggled for a bit but the front wheel had locked to the left and each time I tried to straighten it out I'd feel it start to tip over to the right, at which point I would try to stop it and the front wheel would left lock again. I stood there, using all my strength, feet slipping on the frosty ground, my breath fogging up my glasses to the point I could barely see out of them, for what must have been 2 or 3 minutes. At this point the Examiner just put his hand on my shoulder and helped me get the bike back onto its stand and informed me that I had failed the test. On the walk back inside he told me I should had done a three point turn to ge the bike into the other box. This pissed me off actually as I had not been told that a three point turn was an option. Not only had my Instructor not told me (we hadn't even practised this part), the YouTube videos I watched all had people doing it the way I tried (though looking back at these vids they are all on little 125cc bikes which I know are a lot lighter)

The way you were taught/shown is the best way to do it, because you put the bike in the other spot without stopping, in a single maneuvre. It's surely easier than a 3-point turn, because it needs less muscular effort, and it's less complicated. You overcome the inertia to get the bike moving, and you just roll it into the spot, in a single movement.
The examiner suggested the 3-point turn because you would have probably made it had you changed your gameplan the moment you propped the bike back up after the near-drop. I don't think he meant you should have tried a 3-point turn right from the start.

All bikes are light when they're upright. The only force you exert is to get them rolling (i.e. to overcome the inertia), and even that is something you do by leaning your upper body in the direction you want the force to go. Don't try to lift the bike - it's not the time and place for a workout. Wink Best of luck next time.

bacon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:21 - 29 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds rather traumatic and unfortunate. But at least next time you know it can't be any worse.

Anxiety is a bitch when it gets hold of you. I get it before anything formal like that as well. I don't really have any tips, except I remember after the initial fear factor of taking my bike test, I really started to enjoy myself (this never happened during my car test Laughing ), and I largely stopped worrying at all.

Chin up and better luck next time Thumbs Up

SophR so good
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 21:55 - 29 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

How are you wheeling it? I am also short and puny so my instructor had me rest the bike on my hip, between the tank and seat, one hand on handlebars and one on the grab rail. The lad who had the test slot after me could just walk it by the handlebars Confused

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:58 - 29 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

We teach both methods as some people, especially slight people like yourself find it easier in 3 moves. You can take as many stops as you need during the push. Just remember to do the obs before the wheels turn again.

Nail it next time. The 3 point method walks the bike backwards then the turn the bars and keep going. Then you can walk the bike forward, then turn the bars away from the box until the bike just needs walked backwards straight.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:31 - 29 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is how I did it on my test, with a big heavy Bandit being a 8½ stone weakling Smile www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgW018brWZQ

bacon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:10 - 29 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm only 5ft 6" and weigh 11 stone, I was under 10 stone when I passed my test, must be why my leathers stopped fitting Laughing

It's all technique, my ZRX1200 weighs a hefty sum, around 224kg dry (mine isnt stock so maybe a little less) but I don't have any problems wheeling it around etc.

You'll get the hang of it soon enough mate, it's just experience.

LIB3RTY
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 00:20 - 30 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the responses. I think it all came down to:

1.) Having never done the maneuver before (if I had to back out of anywhere I always just hopped on and slowly rolled back using my feet to balance with my right hand over the front brake.)

2.) Nerves were off the chart

3.) Freezing my nuts off

4.) The tarmac was quite frosty

Having a hernia doesn't help either LOL.

I never intended to do my DAS in this weather, I did my CBT back at the start of summer but when I developed this Hernia I was forced to take a few months off. My condition didn't start to improve until just a few weeks ago and at first chance I jumped back on the bike determined to get through it before Xmas. Realistically, given my work schedule and other commitments it doesn't look like I will get my license until mid to late January.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:51 - 30 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

LIB3RTY wrote:
Having never done the maneuver before (if I had to back out of anywhere I always just hopped on and slowly rolled back using my feet to balance with my right hand over the front brake.)

That's how most normal people do it. If the bike starts to go the other way (whilst off the bike pushing) you're not gonna be able to stop it, it's a lot less risky to sit on the bike and move it.

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:25 - 30 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

LIB3RTY wrote:

1.) Having never done the maneuver before (if I had to back out of anywhere I always just hopped on and slowly rolled back using my feet to balance with my right hand over the front brake.)

Then you have gone to the wrong school. As an element of module 1 the school should have. both, demonstrated and practised EVERY element in module 1 with you.

Sad that there are schools out there that do cut corners.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:11 - 30 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't sweat it, if you hadn't been taught it, how were you expected to be able to do it under test conditions? Your instructor probably does it several times a day and assumes it's easy and obvious.

And you're right, the DVSA official video shows an arms'-length technique that's only going to work with a tiddler - I'd never try that with a 600+.

loughy
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 10:10 - 30 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched youtube videos and seen that you could do either an all-in-one movement and a 3 point turn type. Even though im 6ft3 and 13stone, I still opted for the safer 3 point turn, as like yourself when I went for my test it was frosty.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

155mph
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 10:12 - 30 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I did my MOD1 a few weeks back, we spent some time observing actual test (from afar; DVSA doesn't condone spectators).

Which box you pull into depends on the circuit; mine was on a slight grade so instructor told us to pull into the left box thus making it easier to wheel the bike down slope.

On the day of the test, instructor swung by the centre to confirm which way the circuit was laid out (they change it).

I did a 3-point turn. So much easier to be pushing whilst looking forwards.

Better luck next time.

LIB3RTY
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 19:35 - 08 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinkyfloyd wrote:
We teach both methods as some people, especially slight people like yourself find it easier in 3 moves. You can take as many stops as you need during the push. Just remember to do the obs before the wheels turn again.

Nail it next time. The 3 point method walks the bike backwards then the turn the bars and keep going. Then you can walk the bike forward, then turn the bars away from the box until the bike just needs walked backwards straight.

Thanks for the tip. On my last lesson I tried it the same way I tried on the test day and really struggled, it sucks being short and slim when it comes to biking it seems. 2 Herniated discs in my lower spine doesn't help either. Next lesson is on the weekend so I'll try your way at the end of the lesson.

LIB3RTY
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 19:46 - 08 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

SophR so good wrote:
How are you wheeling it? I am also short and puny so my instructor had me rest the bike on my hip, between the tank and seat, one hand on handlebars and one on the grab rail. The lad who had the test slot after me could just walk it by the handlebars Confused

The bike I ended up riding that day after the first 2 died on me didn't have grab rails fitted which didn't help. I was having to lean with my right hand on the seat and my left hand on the handlebars which made it difficult to push and hurt my back a little.

thepuma
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:14 - 08 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

LIB3RTY wrote:
pinkyfloyd wrote:

Thanks for the tip. On my last lesson I tried it the same way I tried on the test day and really struggled, it sucks being short and slim .

Hold on...I thought you said you'd never tried this maneuver with your instructor?

LIB3RTY wrote:
This pissed me off actually as I had not been told that a three point turn was an option. Not only had my Instructor not told me (we hadn't even practised this part)

LIB3RTY
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:27 - 08 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

thepuma wrote:

Hold on...I thought you said you'd never tried this maneuver with your instructor?

LIB3RTY wrote:
This pissed me off actually as I had not been told that a three point turn was an option. Not only had my Instructor not told me (we hadn't even practised this part)

I've had a couple more lessons since I failed the test. I did some practising on those sessions.

Falco
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 23:00 - 08 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
And you're right, the DVSA official video shows an arms'-length technique that's only going to work with a tiddler - I'd never try that with a 600+.

It works fine with a bigger bike. I've been training with an ER650N and we do the reverse parking that way. Admittedly I've never had to do it under test conditions (changing as of tomorrow Sick) and the first time I did it I pulled a lot of muscles trying to handle it like my 125 (leaning a big bike into you is making far more work for yourself than needed). Keep it upright as possible and the weight isn't too much of a problem.

Sounds like OP has had some practise since then, so next times the charm! Thumbs Up

FuzzyBallz
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 21:21 - 10 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just practice it until you get it for next time, I struggled wheeling the bike into the parking bay, was literally heave-hoeing under my helmet moving the b*stard thing but got there in the end.

I know the feeling of just wanting to pass the test to get your big bike on the road but once you pass you have the rest of your life to ride, and it now seems funny I was soooooooo eager to pass, you will get it in the end.

I took kalms before my bike tests to help with my nerves, don't really know if they actually done anything because I was still nervous as hell, it's just part of being human.

I remember back to the shaking, mouth like a cotton wool ball, couldn't concentrate, was talking myself through everything before I done it, cursing myself when I thought I done something wrong, and even being close to tears when I failed mod 1.

We will see you on the road soon for sure Thumbs Up

Baggins
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 01:37 - 16 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
This is how I did it on my test, with a big heavy Bandit being a 8½ stone weakling Smile www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgW018brWZQ

I did my Mod 1 on the 1250 Bandit and it was that handling exercise that was worrying me most. I found the u turn technique easier than 3 point but key was to get the bike leaning against my body while moving. I was knackered after it - old guy- examiner quietly gave me a minute to get my breath back with some idle chat before the slalom Smile

Stoker
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 20:52 - 16 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

They just don't want this to happen to you you in a car park whilst on a bike!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E88HEuwInno

(ok, he was on foot at the time, but....) The next bit shows what could happen IF ya aint done your cbt!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzVAx1n1QFw

Don't worry, The fact that you shared your concerns here shows that you're admitting some kind of failing and looking for help, you should do fine next time round.
Unlike some people who think they're invincible gods of the road at seventeen and are surprised when fate teaches them otherwise!
(not assuming that you are seventeen, that would make an ass of ... actually, has anyone got a smart comeback for that?)

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:08 - 17 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baggins wrote:
M.C wrote:

I did my Mod 1 on the 1250 Bandit and it was that handling exercise that was worrying me most. I found the u turn technique easier than 3 point but key was to get the bike leaning against my body while moving. I was knackered after it - old guy- examiner quietly gave me a minute to get my breath back with some idle chat before the slalom Smile

I really don't understand it, do you have to push the car on your driving test? Smile

And it was only the 650 Bandit for me Embarassed

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:23 - 17 Dec 2016    Post subject: Re: Failed Mod 1 Today Reply with quote

LIB3RTY wrote:
my foot slipped on a bit of frost

None of the above advise legislates for this.
Wear something resembling bike boots or even just sturdy footwear but a little more grippy if you can.
Have a little gander at where you'll be walking before the manoeuvre for frost/moss spots.
Also, I'd say cast your eye over the entire test area for shady spots where frost may linger and particularly green areas which may prove a little slippy this time of year.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:26 - 17 Dec 2016    Post subject: Re: Failed Mod 1 Today Reply with quote

recman wrote:
particularly green areas

https://i.imgur.com/4PZkUEM.png

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:29 - 17 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, the slipperiest of varieties.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 131 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2