Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Gear when riding to school?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Dimerz
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 20:39 - 30 Nov 2016    Post subject: Gear when riding to school? Reply with quote

So I'm most likely going to ride to school next week as I have my CBT on Saturday and will just ride around on my Peugeot XR6 50cc Sport till it gets sold and then pass over the insurance to the 125cc that I buy. Going to school, with just a helmet and gloves? As I'll ofcourse be wearing my school uniform and most likely a coat. Damn! Shoes too. I wear posh(ish) shoes so no trainers or anything, unless I just put shoes in my bag. Do you think it'll be fine just wearing a helmet and motorbike gloves? The trips only 2 miles.

Last edited by Dimerz on 21:57 - 30 Nov 2016; edited 2 times in total

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:44 - 30 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you already know the answer to this.....

Go lowside at 20mph, you'll be unpleasantly surprised how far you can slide.

It's your skin son, we don't give a fuck but you certainly should.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:05 - 30 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had two offs (at 20-30mph) and didn't tear any of my clothing. I completely f**ked up my back and knees in the first one and ripped my little finger nail (partially) off in the second, but my gear was fine Rolling Eyes

bacon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:17 - 30 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plus this time of year, frost, zero degrees or lower in the mornings, fuck that in a uniform and rain coat.

Get some proper gear.

Dave_80
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 21:28 - 30 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get proper gear,I'm sure falling off a small bike at any speed will hurt just as much as falling off a big bike. As a tester ask your mum to run her cheese grater down your back a few times and see if you like how it feels...

Commuter_Tim
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:44 - 30 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a simple risk assessment.
Personally some days I ride with jeans if only going up to 30mph.
At those speeds I accept that even if I don't hit anything, I'm going to lose a lot of skin sliding at those speeds.

The couple of times I stupidly went down the first things to hit the road were my elbows and knees.

I ride a Bandit 600... badly.

Dimerz
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 21:59 - 30 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I don't know, they say "Near your house is the most likely place to crash" but 2 miles, 30mph, high traffic. One traffic light. Maybe? I'll be just fine? I do have leathers ofcourse but that'll only come out on the 125 or when i go out on rides on the 50. Going to school in leathers... Where on earth am i going to put the gear? I mean the locker will only fit my helmet, gloves and shoes. And then, I see most Americans living in hotter states, they dont wear gear at all, they just wear t-shirts with gloves.

Commuter_Tim
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:11 - 30 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we need a Ste road rash gore gif to convince this kid you dress for the crash not the ride. Thinking

KTMTony
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 22:12 - 30 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get some textiles and get changed at school. Don't risk coming off with no protection. You have a lot of years ahead try keep the skin on your bones for a while eh.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:16 - 30 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 miles? Walk it.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

6r4h4m
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 22:19 - 30 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I don't wear my suit and posh shoes to ride to work. That's not because I'm worried about my skin or because someone's mum had me round one crazy Saturday night for a high stakes game of Truth or Cheese Grater. It's that those clothes are expensive, and it will only tiniest accident or chain lube fling to totally write them off. That feels like a high likelihood risk to run, compared with having a bad injury.

Anyway that's just me. I see plenty of commuters on Lambrettas in posh suits. Maybe your choices are either save up for a spare uniform fund, or pretend you're in Milan.

rhys99
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:35 - 30 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wear kevlar jeans over normal jeans, boots, gloves and a leather/ textile jacket when riding to college. I manage to fit all my gear minus the helmet it my locker. I do get the odd funny look off the ped boi's and i have even been asked why i wear gear on a 125.
21:16:02 Fin: I got a girl to believe I have a huge dick today, she's going to be so disappointed
K̶5̶ ̶S̶V̶6̶5̶0̶S̶ K3 SV650N

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:38 - 30 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
2 miles? Walk it.

I missed that bit. I'd probably cycle but yeah you can walk it.

Dimerz
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 22:48 - 30 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
2 miles? Walk it.

I missed that bit. I'd probably cycle but yeah you can walk it.

I have been cycling it. But you know, Motorbike. Motorbike, vs Pedal Bike.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:57 - 30 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that case, you were probably as fast as a moped anyway. Wear what you cycled in.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 23:39 - 30 Nov 2016    Post subject: Re: Gear when riding to school? Reply with quote

Dimerz wrote:
Going to school, with just a helmet and gloves?

https://i.imgur.com/7CXzClW.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/qHRLU5P.gif

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:43 - 30 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well for me by the time I get my motorbike out I'd probably already be there on a pedal bike Smile Also when cycling you do actually warm up.

Last edited by M.C on 23:45 - 30 Nov 2016; edited 1 time in total

Dimerz
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 23:44 - 30 Nov 2016    Post subject: Re: Gear when riding to school? Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Dimerz wrote:

Why Ste, Why.

Dimerz
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 23:46 - 30 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

Well for me by the time I get my motorbike out I'd probably already be there on a pedal bike Smile Also when cycling you do actually warm up.

Ive got quite a few hills on the way there and its just so much more effort to pedal when you can just twist a throttle. Laughing

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:26 - 01 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you get to ride down those hills on the way back? Very Happy

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:31 - 01 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dimerz wrote:
I see most Americans living in hotter states, they dont wear gear at all, they just wear t-shirts with gloves.

It does seem unfair but in most areas out there it's a reflection of how few people/car etc they have in such an enormous place (compared to us). They can ride down certain roads and see less cars in a day than we see in 10 minutes...

I also think that many of them aren't bright enough to fully understand the risks. In a country where appearance is so important, they don't appreciate how much they'd lose after having half their faces rubbed off by some tarmac...

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:45 - 01 Dec 2016    Post subject: Re: Gear when riding to school? Reply with quote

Dimerz wrote:
with just a helmet and gloves? As I'll ofcourse be wearing my school uniform and most likely a coat. Damn! Shoes too. I wear posh(ish) shoes so no trainers or anything, unless I just put shoes in my bag.

It's really difficult for anyone to say 'you'll be OK' when we know you may not be. When I had my 50cc nearly 35+ years ago... I wore very little protection and although I got hurt, I didn't get deaded. However the quality of cage drivers is even worse than then and there's ten times more of them...

In the event you do have an incident then the best you can hope for is that only your school gear / shoes get wrecked, but probably your knees and elbows will as well. You could maybe try some skateboard knee and elbow protection in the hope that you'll have scrubbed of most of your 30mph (although I'm not sure they'd withstand a 10mph slide...), but I'd definitely wear some decent foot protection.

Commuter_Tim
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:54 - 01 Dec 2016    Post subject: Re: Gear when riding to school? Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Dimerz wrote:

Well that's not quite the sort of gif I meant, but I should have known better than to play with fire. Laughing

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:08 - 01 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

ADSrox0r wrote:

It's your skin son, we don't give a fuck but you certainly should.

And there was me picturing a sixth former in her check mini skirt and white blouse straddling a FS1E...

Mawsley
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 06:52 - 01 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
2 miles? Wank it.

Ahh, the wonderful hormone-rich teen years where every item of street furniture was a cue to rub one out. I rarely made it into a town centre.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 140 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3