Gear when riding to school?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic : View next topic  

Commuter_Tim
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:01 - 04 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
In my extensive experience falling of things with 2 wheels, motorbikes throw you off with more force. You know how for days afterwards you feel like you've been raped by a giant Panda? Shifty

Come on dude, are you discussing Injuries when falling, or Stes dreams, make up your mind! Rolling Eyes

I ride a Bandit 600... badly.

pudder
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 10:36 - 07 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkJF wrote:
"Dr Walker, who was struck by a bus and a truck in the course of the experiment, spent half the time wearing a cycle helmet and half the time bare-headed. He was wearing the helmet both times he was struck."

Because one cylist having two incidents is a valid basis for an argument?

Both times I came off my bike it was a Tuesday, so I would advise everyone to stay in bed on Tuesday. Thumbs Up

MarkJF
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 11:07 - 07 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

pudder wrote:
MarkJF wrote:
"Dr Walker, who was struck by a bus and a truck in the course of the experiment, spent half the time wearing a cycle helmet and half the time bare-headed. He was wearing the helmet both times he was struck."

Because one cylist having two incidents is a valid basis for an argument?

Both times I came off my bike it was a Tuesday, so I would advise everyone to stay in bed on Tuesday. Thumbs Up

You didn't read it then? It was an in-depth study of 1000's of overtaking movements, with and without, a helmet being worn. Given the result, perhaps the only surprising thing is that he was only knocked off twice whilst wearing his helmet.

Maybe Dr Ian Walker, a traffic psychologist from the University of Bath didn't conduct the thesis it to spark off sensible helmet debate, but just for a bit of fun?

pudder
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 13:25 - 07 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkJF wrote:
You didn't read it then? It was an in-depth study of 1000's of overtaking movements, with and without, a helmet being worn. Given the result, perhaps the only surprising thing is that he was only knocked off twice whilst wearing his helmet.

Maybe Dr Ian Walker, a traffic psychologist from the University of Bath didn't conduct the thesis it to spark off sensible helmet debate, but just for a bit of fun?

No I hadn't had time to read it, but that was the bolded headline.

Having now read it, I'm surprised at the findings. I wouldn't have said I consciously clock whether or not a cyclist has a helmet, and if so I would have said I give the same space regardless.

However, I would probably assume that a lycra-d up cyclist is more in control of their bike than someone in casual clothes, in the same way that I expect more unpredicatability from someone not wearing motorbike gear.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:00 - 07 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Understanding the cause doesn't protect you from the results.

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:22 - 07 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

pudder wrote:
I would probably assume that a lycra-d up cyclist is more in control of their bike than someone in casual clothes.

I wouldn't Shocked
In my experience they're at least as unpredictable, and practice their unpredictability at higher speed, I think the psychology is along the lines of 'I've got all the gear so I must be an expert'.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:29 - 07 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ones in lycra normally have a undeserved sense of entitlement, you know like other road users Wink, so are more likely to be dicks IMO. I don't think the really skinny tyres help either.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:35 - 07 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
The ones in lycra normally have a undeserved sense of entitlement, you know like other road users Wink

Horse riders? Mad

Dimerz
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 22:04 - 07 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, don't wear a cyclist helmet whilst riding a horse to school?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:40 - 08 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dimerz wrote:
So, don't wear a cyclist helmet whilst riding a horse to school?

No point, you'll be told to take it off at the petrol station.

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:52 - 08 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

not sure how it is with your school op but my nieces school has told the sixth formers they are not allowed to ride a moped to school

or they are but cant park it on school property or leave motorcycle gear on school property

she was looking into one for pottering about on and getting to work and back but now thinks its a waste of time
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dimerz
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 21:26 - 08 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyscooter wrote:
not sure how it is with your school op but my nieces school has told the sixth formers they are not allowed to ride a moped to school

or they are but cant park it on school property or leave motorcycle gear on school property

she was looking into one for pottering about on and getting to work and back but now thinks its a waste of time

Nah schools fine with it, already asked them.

MarkJF
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 12:10 - 10 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

pudder wrote:

No I hadn't had time to read it, but that was the bolded headline.

Having now read it, I'm surprised at the findings. I wouldn't have said I consciously clock whether or not a cyclist has a helmet, and if so I would have said I give the same space regardless.

However, I would probably assume that a lycra-d up cyclist is more in control of their bike than someone in casual clothes, in the same way that I expect more unpredicatability from someone not wearing motorbike gear.

Fair enough. I found it surprising too as I assumed I'd always give cyclists the same room regardless. Thought provoking though, helmet = good, is shown to be not always so.

Regarding lycra clad, that was an interesting comment because to me I usually think the opposite, I see a % of lycra clad cyclists (mamils) as the cycling equivalent of middle aged, leather clad blokes wobbling out of Dales car parks on sports bikes and I keep well clear of those guys!

Last edited by MarkJF on 12:14 - 10 Dec 2016; edited 1 time in total

MarkJF
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 12:14 - 10 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
The ones in lycra normally have a undeserved sense of entitlement, you know like other road users Wink, so are more likely to be dicks IMO. I don't think the really skinny tyres help either.

Nah, normally they wear lycra so normal clothing doesn't act as a sail. The shirts also provide safe places to store food, tubes, repair kits etc. If I am going for a sunny day ride out, I wear it, commuting or touring, I don't bother.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 138 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3