Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

3400 Mile EU trip YBR125. Experienced tourers?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 17:22 - 04 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should have various options to stop them getting stuck in the rear wheel - maybe a bit of metal going from the pillion peg to the rear rack.

Don't expect anything in lockable panniers to be actually safe.

I'd keep anything important in a backpack you can take with you - I made a mount so I could put said backpack on my tank.

You can get generic hard lockable topboxes cheaply, so I'd go that route for stuff you don't want to carry about, but want a bit of protection over. You can always but your soft one on top of it if you want. Infact, doing that and putting stuff on the pillion seat, quite possibly you could get away without panniers at all.

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:55 - 04 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://bikebins.com/buyonline.html

I used these on my cub. They're hard plastic bicycle panniers.

Fabricate a rack using 10mm steel tube.

Cal89
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 18:00 - 04 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
Should have various options to stop them getting stuck in the rear wheel - maybe a bit of metal going from the pillion peg to the rear rack.

Don't expect anything in lockable panniers to be actually safe.

I'd keep anything important in a backpack you can take with you - I made a mount so I could put said backpack on my tank.

You can get generic hard lockable topboxes cheaply, so I'd go that route for stuff you don't want to carry about, but want a bit of protection over. You can always but your soft one on top of it if you want. Infact, doing that and putting stuff on the pillion seat, quite possibly you could get away without panniers at all.

I guess they were a cheap set of soft panniers, but i just want something solid for the sides and could use the additional width over the rear seat on the panniers to rest things on and keep more important supplies in i don't want wet.

One thing that really really really really annoys me is having a backpack that seems to press against the top box and stuff on the rear seat but a small flatter hydration pack would be great with a tank bag.

Anyone have suggestions with a good tank bag and possibly a front screen fender to hopefully blow some air out of my face? i have a tamiya connector which i'm hoping i can get a way of connecting that up to a waterproof usb connector?

Cheers guys

Cal

Last edited by Cal89 on 11:48 - 06 Dec 2016; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 18:19 - 04 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do you want something for the sides?

For off road, while big metal boxes are the fashion (and I do indeed have some for my KTM), many consider soft are better as while they might rip in a crash, they won't transmit shock to the chassis etc and are easily repaired.

A bit different on road, but not too bad thinking anyway.

However as Garth suggested - cheap options available and plenty second hand, though some bodging may be needed for mounting.

Enduro Numpty
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 19:34 - 04 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would never do it on a 125 but if that's the way you want to do it then fair enough but I think you're possibly missing the point, which is that you need to travel as light as possible. Givi Luggage - free or otherwise will add weight. Take a change of clothes for the inevitable soaking and very little else. Have you considered not camping? Lugging even the lightest camping gear around is a PITA on any bike.

Alternatively take everything, including the kitchen sink and make what will be a fairly tedious journey on a 125 even less enjoyable. After close on 40 years of touring the single most important thing about any trip for me, is the journey. Anything that makes riding the bike less enjoyable, I try to avoid.

I don't want to seem negative but I've done the overloaded touring in the past and it's just no fun. Me and the wife can travel for 2 months on the bike these days (albeit a large bike) and carry less gear than we used to take for a long weekend.

Like I said, a 125 wouldn't be my bike of choice but I'm sure the trip will be great fun however you decide to do it.

Enjoy and good luck Wink

smegballs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:33 - 05 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rode my GN250 to portugal and back in 2014 and it did it without any troubles. I changed oil down there and might have put in a spark plug too, I checked the valves at some point but they were in spec.

https://i.imgur.com/GMUJhbQ.jpg

I had two east-german backpacks as panniers, previously used them as cycle panniers on a tour too, they have now been turned into muffs. These area dead cheap at about 12 quid each.

Standard milsurp army bergan on the back, and then my topbox. This had loads of stupid stuff in it that never got used, as well as my wetsuit and loads of clothes.

I found 50-55mph cruising speed a comfortable pace that the bike seemed happy with, it would have physically gone faster but I didn't want to ring it's neck without due cause - it got up to 60mph fine for the odd overtake. Fuel economy was in the region of 70-80mpg, did have one anomalous tank that was down to 55mph (long drive into headwinds on spanish motorway).

I was riding about 12+ hours a day. Most milage in one day was 454. I really wanted to crack 500 in a day but was in france and was getting low on fuel at 1am, GL finding petrol stations that take cash past 8pm, so bedded down for night in a random carpark. Was on the verge of falling asleep after riding about 14hrs too, so probs for the best I stopped.....

I carried a 5L jerry can in the topbox as the GN has a small tank and only has about 110 mile range before hitting reserve.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:47 - 05 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

smegballs wrote:
I rode my GN250 to portugal without any troubles.

https://i.imgur.com/GMUJhbQ.jpg

Do you still have that bike?
If you do , was touring on it a "one-off" or are you considering touring on it again?

RodYork
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:09 - 05 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

great topic, great videos! Wink
I think the "wild camping" & going with a group of people is the way to go...oh & film it!

Casper
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:16 - 05 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

When is this trip? If your soft luggage is getting sucked in you have them sitting to low and make shure you have even weight. I uses a nylon suitcase strap round each one to prevent slip.

[img]https://s19.postimg.org/czhafw6oj/SAM_1137.jpg[/img]

Orange strap is looped through the grab rail. Dont worry about security to much unless in a city. The European neds have more respect than the UK neds. No need to spunk good cash on a dedicated sat nav when the likes of Mapfactor Navigator for android is good enough. As you are on a small bike less is more. Take less luggage and wash more. Get a hotel/B&B every 3rd nigh or so for the sake of a good sleep and shower. Google says your planed trip is a 55 hour ride so no need for big miles. Make sure you eat and drink water.

smegballs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:19 - 06 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:
Do you still have that bike?
If you do , was touring on it a "one-off" or are you considering touring on it again?

I do indeed, still have it tho it's mainly getting used for commuting these days as Suzuki intended.

I took it to France for a month in March, not really "touring" though as I was staying on my friends farm the duration. Still it did the 1000 mile round trip without any hassles.

It's getting to the point now tho where it's probably gonna start needing new parts and repairs that are going to be uneconomical given the low value of the bike.

Cal89
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 23:49 - 06 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
Why do you want something for the sides?

I'm just looking to help support whatever gets tied onto the pillion, i reckon i don't really need them, but the added semi-secure storage helps for peace of mind and anything more important i can keep dry.

Cal89
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 23:52 - 06 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enduro Numpty wrote:
I would never do it on a 125 but if that's the way you want to do it then fair enough but I think you're possibly missing the point, which is that you need to travel as light as possible. Givi Luggage - free or otherwise will add weight. Take a change of clothes for the inevitable soaking and very little else. Have you considered not camping? Lugging even the lightest camping gear around is a PITA on any bike.

Alternatively take everything, including the kitchen sink and make what will be a fairly tedious journey on a 125 even less enjoyable. After close on 40 years of touring the single most important thing about any trip for me, is the journey. Anything that makes riding the bike less enjoyable, I try to avoid.

I don't want to seem negative but I've done the overloaded touring in the past and it's just no fun. Me and the wife can travel for 2 months on the bike these days (albeit a large bike) and carry less gear than we used to take for a long weekend.

Like I said, a 125 wouldn't be my bike of choice but I'm sure the trip will be great fun however you decide to do it.

Enjoy and good luck Wink

I'm looking to camp 2 nights, then a hotel on the third just to get a decent rest and meal. But all adds to the experience of the open road!

So i could easily get away with minimal clothes and wash them when i get to the hotels Very Happy

Cal89
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 23:56 - 06 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

smegballs wrote:

I was riding about 12+ hours a day. Most milage in one day was 454. I really wanted to crack 500 in a day but was in france and was getting low on fuel at 1am, GL finding petrol stations that take cash past 8pm, so bedded down for night in a random carpark. Was on the verge of falling asleep after riding about 14hrs too, so probs for the best I stopped.....

I carried a 5L jerry can in the topbox as the GN has a small tank and only has about 110 mile range before hitting reserve.

Damn, what was your set up in the car park that night, a tent on a patch of green?

Cal89
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 00:02 - 07 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Casper wrote:
When is this trip? If your soft luggage is getting sucked in you have them sitting to low and make shure you have even weight. I uses a nylon suitcase strap round each one to prevent slip.

Well, this is the issue. I NEED it to be sunny, or my astigmatism riddled eyes cant cope with cloudy/low sunlight conditions having to wear my glasses under my lid, which i can't cope with them fogging up or a nasty imprints on my nose digging in. I'm going to aim for April with the hope that its much brighter and warmer.

smegballs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:10 - 07 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cal89 wrote:
Damn, what was your set up in the car park that night, a tent on a patch of green?

https://i.imgur.com/WuxnU0f.jpg

Something along these lines. It's one side of a Polish army tent set up with various bits of string and bungies to make a bivvy of sorts.

There wasn't a fixed method as such, I'd just improvise with what was around me at the time, using trees/lamposts/fences etc etc.

This pic was taken in spain one morning, I was riding and started to see lots of lighting in the sky, so found a little field and made camp before the rain came. Luckily it actually stayed dry all night.

Cal89
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 00:29 - 07 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

smegballs wrote:
Cal89 wrote:

Something along these lines. It's one side of a Polish army tent set up with various bits of string and bungies to make a bivvy of sorts.

There wasn't a fixed method as such, I'd just improvise with what was around me at the time, using trees/lamposts/fences etc etc.

This pic was taken in spain one morning, I was riding and started to see lots of lighting in the sky, so found a little field and made camp before the rain came. Luckily it actually stayed dry all night.

That's great! that's a good idea for me if it pours it down in the middle of nowhere. It takes me a good 10 mins to set up my little 2 man tent with an inner tent too, so if i got an army basha, i could pretty much do the same and tie it off my bike for short term shelter. cheers for the idea!

smegballs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:44 - 07 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cal89 wrote:

That's great! that's a good idea for me if it pours it down in the middle of nowhere. It takes me a good 10 mins to set up my little 2 man tent with an inner tent too, so if i got an army basha, i could pretty much do the same and tie it off my bike for short term shelter. cheers for the idea!

Tbh mate, if I was doing it again I'd have a popup tent which gives instant shelter and is a fair bit more waterproof.

Due to the self-supporting structure it can be used OK on hard surfaces too without pegs, just use some luggage to weight it down.

RodYork
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 18:32 - 12 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="smegballs"]
Cal89 wrote:

https://shaw2shore.co.uk/video-gallery/#bwg6/111

Theres a film on the site that shows a few "tarping" ideas and cheap ways to travel on a budget

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 18:44 - 12 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

While having a 80cm disc tent isn't the most convienent, I really appreciated. As suggested - throw it out, chuck a couple of bits in it and that's it done.

Just as quick to pack up.
Also good for generally being 'subtle' wild camping as you don't need to spend a while with lights on fighting with a tent poles etc.

Mine was a darkened one too, that does make a decent difference in the mornings: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWGWX8wibz4 .
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 133 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2