Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Mod 1 Slalom Advice

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

Falco
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 16:10 - 03 Dec 2016    Post subject: Mod 1 Slalom Advice Reply with quote

Got my mod 1 on Friday and I am just back from the final training session on the MMA pad. For some reason, I messed up the slalom on the 1st 2 attempts (clipped a cone withy foot), despite having had no problems previously.

Everything else is absolutely fine (including the figure of 8 & the U-turn which I was more worried about), but taking 3 attempts to do slalom has knocked my confidence a bit. Any advice I can mull over until Friday?
I vaguely recall being told to look far ahead and to get close to the cone I am passing (to make it easier to get you d the next).

Further tips would be welcome.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:37 - 03 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're that bothered:

(1) Purchase set of plastic cones from wherever
(2) Tape measure
(3) Empty car park
(4) Picture of test pad with measurements from google on phone
(5) Your bike

Put that all together and you can practice in the cold until your hearts content.

In reality I wouldn't worry about it. Take your time on the day and you'll be alright. Thumbs Up

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 17:56 - 03 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume you don't have a bike to practise on? Then forget it - you're not going to sort any issues in your head.

It's not hard, you'll ace it on the day, unless you turn it into an issue by fretting about it.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:24 - 03 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably bad advice but I didn't find the go faster, it'll be easier advice helpful. I went through slower than you're 'meant' to, something the examiner commented on after Neutral

Falco
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 20:46 - 03 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly I don't have a bike to practise on. Hence the issue.

I know conceptually it's easy enough. It's just a mental thing.

Honestly, I find that speed is a fine line, but it does help with the figure of 8 for sure.

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:04 - 03 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swing out further than you think you need to somewhat, then make sure you aim your head between the next set of cones. Turn your head and look at the point you want the bike to go and it will follow.

Throttle and clutch, lots of both and you'll be fine.

This is not the only way to do it of course. With practise and confidence you can do it in a near straight line by swinging the bike under you. But for the purposes of the test, nice and steady and make sure to turn your head into the turn.

I remember when I did mine I was somewhat unlucky and they put the cones pretty much next to a fence in the yard so I had a limited space to work with but most test centres will give you a fucking acre to play with.

Snowdonia Rider
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:40 - 04 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep the momentum going and lots and lots of clutch.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

thepuma
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:21 - 04 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funnily enough I remember when getting ready for my Mod1, the oly part I was worried about was the slalom..God knows why.

Just remember that within reason you can go as wide as you like so if you find yourself getting close to one of the cones them simply swing out further and correct your position on the next cone .

Also don't look AT the cones...look in between them, as invariably your bike will head towards where your looking.

I wouldn't go too slow as this creates other issues (balance) which can throw you out a bit.But use plenty of clutch and you should be ok.

Oh another tip is to not get too close to the opening cone....go well wide of it because if you try to go close on the first one you'll end up the same with all of them and end up potentially clipping one.

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:32 - 04 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 'hard' part is at the end where you have to do the double figure of eight really (if they still do that?) but so long as you use all the space available to you it's not so bad.

Falco
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 21:26 - 10 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the advice guys. Thumbs Up

Passed it w/ 2 minors (missed last slalom cone and couldn't quite get the bike stable quickly enough for the U-turn and just brushed white line).

Mod 2 on the 21st. Now to get on with worrying pointlessly over that as well. Confused

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:35 - 10 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumbs Up

Wouldn't fret about Mod2, it's just a nice ride out and so long as you remember your shoulder checks and don't ride like Billy Bigbollocks you'll be laughing.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:36 - 11 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

FredTheHorse wrote:
Mod 2 on the 21st. Now to get on with worrying pointlessly over that as well. Confused

It's a lot more enjoyable, Mod 1 feels like a test, Mod 2 just feels like going for a ride with a mate following you. Do your shoulder checks, cancel your indicators, and if nothing untoward happens you'll have your license Thumbs Up

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:41 - 11 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

ADSrox0r wrote:
don't ride like Billy Bigbollocks

FredTheHorse wrote:
Worried about the slalom.

Can't see it being an issue.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Yorkshire Geek
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:21 - 11 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

ADSrox0r wrote:

Throttle and clutch, lots of both and you'll be fine.

This is not the only way to do it of course.

My school demonstrated it using steering only. No throttle, no clutch, no brakes, only steering input. Not that they recommended that, but their point was very much that there's more than one way and revving the tits off the bike isn't the only one.

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:04 - 12 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mod 2 is easy, If you have any worries about it you cannot resolve with your instructor you are more than welcome to drop me a PM. I am more than happy to talk you through anything you are concerned about.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Falco
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 23:33 - 12 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

ADSrox0r wrote:
Wouldn't fret about Mod2, it's just a nice ride out and so long as you remember your shoulder checks and don't ride like Billy Bigbollocks you'll be laughing.

M.C. wrote:
It's a lot more enjoyable, Mod 1 feels like a test, Mod 2 just feels like going for a ride with a mate following you. Do your shoulder checks, cancel your indicators, and if nothing untoward happens you'll have your license Thumbs Up

Cheers for the advice/encouragement. I pretty sure I can ride to the test standard, but doing so outside of the environment of the test, but all bets are off on test day. Only takes one stupid mistake. One more lesson before the test to help shake the nerves off.

pinkyfloyd wrote:
Mod 2 is easy, If you have any worries about it you cannot resolve with your instructor you are more than welcome to drop me a PM. I am more than happy to talk you through anything you are concerned about.

Thanks Pinky, I might take you up on that. There's always at least one question I can't remember during the lesson.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 108 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1