Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Brexit: What do you think will happen?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 481, 482, 483 ... 521, 522, 523  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

cdlxxvi
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 22:34 - 13 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
And?

Are you saying that if we voted to stay in the EU in 2016, Musk would have built his Gigafactory in Skegness?
What pointless drivel. Rolling Eyes

Not me, Musk is saying that UK is not getting Tesla's investment because of Brexit.

mpd72 wrote:

How is the German economy faring up?

Stable enough to get a big commitment from a world leader in a cutting edge tech.

By the way, the Great Brexit Bonanza is still on. Get on it!
cdlxxvi wrote:

For every company that announces that because of Brexit it's increasing its UK operation, I will donate £1 to Save the Children, up to an initial limit of £100.

Companies known so far: Absa
Total number known: 1
Total money donated: £1

cdlxxvi
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 22:39 - 13 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im-a-Ridah wrote:

And once the UK sorts out its Brexit deal it will grow even faster.

Looking at the number of trade deals sorted out in the last 3.5 years I would express a somewhat limited optimism.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:06 - 13 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdlxxvi wrote:
Tesla boss and serial entrepreneur Elon Musk has revealed that the firm's new European Gigafactory battery facility will be built in Germany on the outskirts of Berlin.

Speaking at Auto Express’s sister title Auto Bild’s Golden Steering Wheel Awards, Musk also revealed that a European research and development base was also planned for Germany, in addition to the new battery manufacturing plant.

Obvious really; Germany is boosting subsidies for electric vehicles in support of its own industries, particularly the mighty VW, and there is plenty of local R&D expertise. The UK car industry is largely just manufacturing outposts in comparison. When invited to diss Brexit of course he's going to comply, but the key is "uncertainty." We need to get it done and move on.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:19 - 13 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
I see you ignore all the facts and figures which don’t meet your agenda.

How does it feel pretending the world isn’t really as it is in real
Life? Do you need a lot of drugs to keep this fantasy land pretence up?

He says our country is sh1t, yet refuses to leave. Says it all really Laughing

Net immigration at 250,000 plus every year. People are voting with their feet and they are coming to England like a several decade Tsunami. There are billions of people who would switch places with him in a heartbeat.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 00:18 - 14 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdlxxvi wrote:
Meanwhile, in the fantasy world:

The Magic Unicorn Party Ltd wrote:
Brexit is a business magnet. Companies from all the planets in all the universes will relocate to Greatest Brexitain and out of the CERTAINLY DOOMED EU!!!!!11111

Where's that quote from?

cdlxxvi wrote:
Enter reality:
Auto Express wrote:
Tesla boss and serial entrepreneur Elon Musk has revealed that the firm's new European Gigafactory battery facility will be built in Germany on the outskirts of Berlin.

Speaking at Auto Express’s sister title Auto Bild’s Golden Steering Wheel Awards, Musk also revealed that a European research and development base was also planned for Germany, in addition to the new battery manufacturing plant.

However, speaking exclusively to Auto Express after making the announcement, Musk blamed Brexit uncertainty on why the UK wasn’t considered for the new site: “Brexit [uncertainty] made it too risky to put a Gigafactory in the UK,” Musk said.

Yes. The reality is that it's the uncertainty which is causing problems for companies rather than Brexit itself so the only solution is to hurry up and finish Brexit already.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:21 - 14 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

In f#cking sick of the whole thing. To think a government of psychos run by a prime minister for clown affairs flanked by the minister for the 18th century and the minister for Wall St could get in for the next four years on the back of a "get brexit done" ticket is horrific. Those b'stards will cost our society more than the EU ever will. Im pro leave but not under the so called leadership of Blondo The Clown.

cdlxxvi
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 13:22 - 14 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's collectively address 2 issues frequently misunderstood.

"it's all about uncertainty".

There is "uncertainty" when we lead the race on the home stretch and everyone is uncertain whether it will be a world record or merely a personal best.

Then there's "uncertainty" when we jumped off a bridge over a dry riverbed and we may end up with everything from a few fractures to dismemberment.

The Brexit "uncertainty" is of the latter type. Literally no one competent expects anything good to come out of it. All business, trade, and professional organisations, when queried, are against it.

"We still have growth".

Yeah, we are flying off the bridge and so far haven't collided with the bottom. However some people already decline to extend our health insurance and the boss is skeptical when we say we'll be in the office on Monday. Our growth is already slower than it would have been without referendum; it's also nothing to brag about - bottom of the lower half of the region.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:29 - 14 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdlxxvi wrote:
World ending stuff

What a little joy of sunshine you are.

Laughing

Instead of this horrible grey overcast view of negativity about something that IS happening - cheer up and try to make the best of it.

moan, moan, moan, moan.

Bored of it now.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:36 - 14 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdlxxvi wrote:
Let's collectively address 2 issues frequently misunderstood.

"it's all about uncertainty".

There is "uncertainty" when we lead the race on the home stretch and everyone is uncertain whether it will be a world record or merely a personal best.

Then there's "uncertainty" when we jumped off a bridge over a dry riverbed and we may end up with everything from a few fractures to dismemberment.

The Brexit "uncertainty" is of the latter type. Literally no one competent expects anything good to come out of it. All business, trade, and professional organisations, when queried, are against it.

"We still have growth".

Yeah, we are flying off the bridge and so far haven't collided with the bottom. However some people already decline to extend our health insurance and the boss is skeptical when we say we'll be in the office on Monday. Our growth is already slower than it would have been without referendum; it's also nothing to brag about - bottom of the lower half of the region.

One thing you're not addressing, all valid points BTW, is this:

NOBODY CARES

And why? Because some stupid fool asked the electorate what they wanted. Your vote isn't more valuable because you're a company boss or some TV celeb.

"We don't want to be ruled by Europe!"

But your wages may go down...

"We don't care, we don't want a load of faceless bureaucrats telling us what to do!"

You're literally taking bread from childrens' mouths...

"They'll just have to work harder, like we did, after the war!"

etc.

I'd go so far as saying if we had a referendum tomorrow and it said:

"Leave with No Deal but Eire and NI get unified, Wales and Scotland become independent and stay in the EU"

vs

"Cancel Brexit and go back to the way things were"

I dunno, I think it'd be a close one Wink

cdlxxvi
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 13:38 - 14 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:
cdlxxvi wrote:
World ending stuff

What a little joy of sunshine you are.

Laughing

Instead of this horrible grey overcast view of negativity about something that IS happening - cheer up and try to make the best of it.

moan, moan, moan, moan.

Bored of it now.

Growth is down. Investment is down. Prices are up. Hardly world ending, just the signs of depression to come.

It can and will be changed; we can start by voting out those who promised success and riches but delivered nothing.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:39 - 14 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

"We still have growth".

One thing you're not addressing, all valid points BTW, is this:

NOBODY CARES

And why? Because some stupid fool asked the electorate what they wanted. Your vote isn't more valuable because you're a company boss or some TV celeb.

"We don't want to be ruled by Europe!"

But your wages may go down...

"We don't care, we don't want a load of faceless bureaucrats telling us what to do!"

You're literally taking bread from childrens' mouths...

"They'll just have to work harder, like we did, after the war!"

etc.

I'd go so far as saying if we had a referendum tomorrow and it said:

"Leave with No Deal but Eire and NI get unified, Wales and Scotland become independent and stay in the EU"

vs

"Cancel Brexit and go back to the way things were"

I dunno, I think it'd be a close one Wink

I don't agree. People do care. Especially when their minds are focused by a general election.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:50 - 14 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdlxxvi wrote:
we can start by voting out those who promised success and riches but delivered nothing.

What age bracket would you fit yourself into out of interest? <25 / 25-45 / >45? Just interested

Im not sure anyone promised "success and riches" - I believe you are potentially mis-quoting someone.

And - even if they said something bordering on "similar" to the above ad-lib'ing - Just how quickly do you expect things to happen?

Legitimate question. Tell me, in your opinion if someone in power makes a massive decision that affects you AND you agree with... How quickly would you expect the change to take effect?

Im under no confusion that leaving the EU will be short term pain - long term gain. This was made abundantly clear during 2016. And by long term - im thinking 10-20 years time.

Complaining that things are not immediately better after something this massive (considering we havent actually left yet!!!) Is a little absurd - even for you.

cdlxxvi
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 15:16 - 14 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:
cdlxxvi wrote:
we can start by voting out those who promised success and riches but delivered nothing.

What age bracket would you fit yourself into out of interest? <25 / 25-45 / >45? Just interested

Im not sure anyone promised "success and riches" - I believe you are potentially mis-quoting someone.

And - even if they said something bordering on "similar" to the above ad-lib'ing - Just how quickly do you expect things to happen?

Legitimate question. Tell me, in your opinion if someone in power makes a massive decision that affects you AND you agree with... How quickly would you expect the change to take effect?

Im under no confusion that leaving the EU will be short term pain - long term gain. This was made abundantly clear during 2016. And by long term - im thinking 10-20 years time.

Complaining that things are not immediately better after something this massive (considering we havent actually left yet!!!) Is a little absurd - even for you.

I'm 38, if you're interested.

Success and riches is my paraphrase of, among others, the charlatans talking about "sunlit uplands" (Leadsom), "no downside" (Davis), "holding all the cards" (Gove), "easy Brexit" (Farage). The list goes on.

What is happening - loss of growth, loss of investment, loss of wealth - was dismissed as "project fear".

Now about "short term". 20 years of setback for some hypothetical maybe return? Absurd. You don't impose adversity for half a generation only because you guess things may get better.

Incidentally the now carefully deleted Farage's pre-referendum bait (decades of transition, started by EEA membership) is the way to do it.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:31 - 14 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its called optimism Smile

You are adding the "maybe"

And (to para-phrase), you are basically saying (correct me if you wish)...

"If something is hard to do, its not worth doing."

Which to me is absurd.

corrections:
I also wouldnt call 20 years "half a generation" - at most its a quarter.
You conveniently picked the upper level of what I said as well. 10-20.

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:34 - 14 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of us remember stuff.

Back in May 1940 we were on our own and there was no EU to help us out.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:00 - 14 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:

Which to me is absurd.

corrections:

1 generatiob is 20 to 30 years. Its roughly the time a person takes to become an adult and then produce children, ie the next generation.
So since Thatch came to power there's been two generations but three generations have become adults during which we have had right wing economic and fiscal policy draggung our society back ten generations.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:02 - 14 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you ribena, I did not know that 👍

cdlxxvi
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 16:14 - 14 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:

Which to me is absurd.

corrections:

There's optimism ("I'll work hard and hopefully get ahead") and there's daydream ("I'll jump from the bridge and gracefully bounce off the surface"). There's no evidence of anything that optimism can improve in Brexit.

What I'm saying is "if something is hard to do and chances of success are very low, it's not worth rushing into."

You said 10-20. Hope for the best, plan for the worst - risk management 101.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:25 - 14 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdlxxvi wrote:

There's optimism ("I'll work hard and hopefully get ahead") and there's daydream ("I'll jump from the bridge and gracefully bounce off the surface"). There's no evidence of anything that optimism can improve in Brexit.

What I'm saying is "if something is hard to do and chances of success are very low, it's not worth rushing into."

You said 10-20. Hope for the best, plan for the worst - risk management 101.

Not in my eyes.

"I'll work hard and hopefully get ahead" sounds definitely more leaning to pessimistic than optimistic. I would say (to split hairs) that to show optimism, it needs to show a high level of confidence.

I.e. "I'll work hard and that will definitely mean I get ahead"

And we will just need to disagree on your version of the above. In my mind the chances of success are not "very low" #Optimistic
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 164 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 481, 482, 483 ... 521, 522, 523  Next
Page 482 of 523