Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Brexit: What do you think will happen?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 104, 105, 106 ... 521, 522, 523  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:19 - 02 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The team sampled 332 UK citizens"

Well you can't argue with conclusions drawn from such a large sample can you?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:29 - 02 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Val wrote:
I have to say I am not suprised to find out the majority of Brexshitters are nationalistic racist cockwombles (even the ones that deny it) Laughing

https://www.indy100.com/article/trump-brexit-vote-study-science-race-nationalism-8326876

https://www.cam.ac.uk/research/news/cognitive-flexibility-associated-with-voting-attitudes-in-eu-referendum-study-finds

Can you spot the word "racist" in there? I know you're only a foreigner and can't be expected to meet British standards of veracity, but you can try.

I do like the part about those who showed 'cognitive flexibility' voted for no change, while us hidebound troglodytes voted for a leap into the unknown.

Also, if I like authoritarianism, why on earth would I want to be free of the many diktats and increasingly naked dictatorship of Brussels? Thinking

tl;dr version - study by Zonny Forezner that set out to determine how nationalist Brexiteers were determined that Brexiteers are nationalists.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:49 - 02 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

panrider_uk wrote:

Figures of about 1000 are enough to be applied to the entire UK population with a small margin of error. About 2 maybe 3 years ago there was a study about zero hour contracts. It has 900 or so people it found people were happy with zero hour contracts.

As such this 900 could be applied to all 30 million employees.

The conclusions lead to an excellent paradox.

In that meritocracy says best person for the job or position. So why would you worry about meritocracy and why would you want to preserve the current discrimination (positive or negative) if you don't need it?

There are even funnier things. Chris Cantwell talked about how superior he was about master race and about murdering all others and about stealing of jobs. Chris Cantwell worked in a minimum wage hot food restaurant.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

asta1
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:10 - 02 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:
panrider_uk wrote:

Figures of about 1000 are enough to be applied to the entire UK population with a small margin of error.

Interesting, if true.

Based on what I've been taught in my degree and my limited experience in Pharma, I've always worked on the Sqrt(N)+ 1 principle for statistical validity of representative samples.

Using this method, a representative sample size for a population of 60M would be 7747.

1000 would only be representative if the population was smaller than 1 million.

Of course, the population they're exploring isn't 60M, it's only Brexit voters, so it's only a population of 17,410,742. A representative population should, based on this method, include 4,174 people.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:45 - 02 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

asta1 wrote:

Interesting, if true.

I had a brief study.

They asked 2500 people about 1300 of them actually ZHC, PT or temps and the rest FT employees comparing them with each other.

It also combined the findings from a 2013 study as well. I could dig out the splits but I'm cooking dinner in 5 minutes.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:27 - 02 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

There fifty-something million adults in the UK so 1,000 people is a sample size of less than 0.002%

That's the equivalent of surveying 0.68462 users on BCF and saying that it's representative of the whole forum.

Laughing

asta1
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 18:49 - 02 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
There fifty-something million adults in the UK so 1,000 people is a sample size of less than 0.002%

That's the equivalent of surveying 0.68462 users on BCF and saying that it's representative of the whole forum.

Laughing

Doesn't quite work like that. The rule that I've been taught, at least is

Square Root of the population plus 1.

So applying it to BCF's 34,231 active members gives a representative sample size of 186.

The representative samples size increases in line with the square root of the population size, not linearly, so as pure percentage points, the samples size relative to total population gets smaller and smaller as the size of the group increases.

I used to know the reasoning behind this, something to do with confidence intervals and homogenity of larger populations, but I've forgotten.

End result though, is that for a very large population you need a really tiny %age of the population to be representative. For example, for a representative sample of the entire population of the Earth, 7 billion ish, you only need a sample of 83,667, or 0.001% of the total to be representative.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:55 - 02 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The square root of 50 million is 7,071 so a sample size of 1,000 can't be a fair representation.

asta1
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 19:26 - 02 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
The square root of 50 million is 7,071 so a sample size of 1,000 can't be a fair representation.

Hence my questioing of Itchy's original assertion and proposed sample of 7,747 (based on an assumed population of 60M).
Val This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Off Topic). Unhide this post / all posts.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:40 - 02 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Val wrote:
Meanhwile academics have found the reason for Brexit and Trump.

tldr; it is nationalism and racism won against globalism and global human values.

I have to say I am not suprised to find out the majority of Brexshitters are nationalistic racist cockwombles (even the ones that deny it) Laughing

https://www.indy100.com/article/trump-brexit-vote-study-science-race-nationalism-8326876

Quote:
Britain’s Brexit vote came as a huge shock to most people,

A presumption that the supposedly right-thinking but minority Remainers are 'people' while most voters (52%) are sub-people so they needn't count.
Quote:
study of Brexit voters, authored by PhD student Leor Zmigrod

Good old Surveymonkey, eh!
The student wrote:
In today’s politically-polarised climate, it is important to understand more about the psychological processes behind nationalistic and social attitudes if we are to build bridges between communities.

Yes, how can we fix their minds so they accept their fate?
Quote:
Brexit voters were found to have greater conservatism,

Can a vote for change be called conservative?

All just a means to claim all Brexit voters are an underclass and should be ignored. Tired of this shit.

Rob Fzs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:01 - 02 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
Val wrote:
Meanhwile academics have found the reason for Brexit and Trump.

tldr; it is nationalism and racism won against globalism and global human values.

Quote:
Britain’s Brexit vote came as a huge shock to most people,

A presumption that the supposedly right-thinking but minority Remainers are 'people' while most voters (52%) are sub-people so they needn't count.
Quote:
study of Brexit voters, authored by PhD student Leor Zmigrod

Good old Surveymonkey, eh!
The student wrote:
In today’s politically-polarised climate, it is important to understand more about the psychological processes behind nationalistic and social attitudes if we are to build bridges between communities.

Yes, how can we fix their minds so they accept their fate?
Quote:
Brexit voters were found to have greater conservatism,

Can a vote for change be called conservative?

All just a means to claim all Brexit voters are an underclass and should be ignored. Tired of this shit.

Socially conservative won over socially liberal.

Also Val is a dicksmoker that has no answers on how to win over brexit voters
'00 Aprilia RS50 > '92 Honda CG > '99 Yamaha Fazer > '91 Yamaha RXS > '79 Suzuki X5 > 01' Honda Cg > 07' Honda Cg > 82' Kawasaki Z200 > suzuki gsxr 400 gk73a > honda vfr 400 NC30> Yamaha RD350 YPVS F2 > Kawasaki ZZR 600 D1 > Yamaha TZR 250 2MA >Suzuki TL1000R > Yamaha TDR250 > Honda 929 blade > Suzuki SV1000 > Honda H100
Mod 2 Passed 09/06/2011

ThoughtContro...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:33 - 02 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob Fzs wrote:
Also Val is a dicksmoker that has no answers on how to win over brexit voters

Yes he does. You just make everyone vote again until the marginal Brexit voters get bored and drop out. Then once you've got the result you want you declare it an overwhelming victory for the righteous forces of good. That is the EU way of doing things.
Val This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Confusing). Unhide this post / all posts.

asta1
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:45 - 02 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Val wrote:

They have done the survey for voted population of 17m leavers only and with confidence level of 95% the margin of error 5.38% is fine for 332 sample.

No, those are the confidence intervals for their conclusions within the representative population. They have no bearing on the nature of the sample population chosen upon the wider population as a whole.

They can conclude with confidence that for the 332 people, their conclusions are both reliable and accurate (and as far as I can see, they are, the methodology seems sound for the model and the SD and r values are solid).

Where they (or actually IFLS and Indy100) fall down is when they say "Here's the conclusions within our sample group, therefore these apply to the population".

Well, maybe they do, maybe they don't. With a population of 332, there's a decent chance that they are right, but that population size is much too small to draw conclusions for a total population of 17M.

For have an acceptable confidence interval of a truly representative subset of a population of 17M, you'd need a sample size of at least 4,125 people. They've got less than a tenth of that.

With what they've got, they can draw conclusions on the group and then say 'based on this sample, the results suggest x or y about Brexiteers', but to say, based on their sample size, 'that because x is x within the sample, x is x within all Brexiteers', is bad stats and poor science.

You'll notice, if you read the discussion and results of the actual published PNAS paper as opposed to the IFLS summary, that they are very careful to say that all their conclusions are only indicators for the population that went into the construction of their model, and do not at any point state that they can be applied to the overall population.

That said, it's interesting, well-written science. I'm quite impressed with Dr. Zmigrod and his experimental design, and that's a rare thing for someone doing soft sciences. Shame that the popular news outlet then used that to draw spurious conclusions.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:10 - 02 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it's all cool yeah.

There are 332 days till BREXIT and there have been massive preparations in order to facilitate the exit right?

Those lorry parks in Kent have been built.

The border in NI/IRE has been built with non existent tech.

And all of the port facilities have been upgraded.

UK banks have also been allowed full pass porting and full rights to trade services with Europe.

192 trade agreements have been signed.

The EU/US open skies agreements have been signed and replaced with a UK version.

Right?

As a side note the negotiations between the PRC and UK for HK started in 1981 and took till 1985. The preparation for it took 11.5 years to complete. This is in a territory only twice the size of the Isle of Wight with 8% of the population. Building a simple house took me 2.5 years.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:29 - 02 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

asta wrote:
End result though, is that for a very large population you need a really tiny %age of the population to be representative. For example, for a representative sample of the entire population of the Earth, 7 billion ish, you only need a sample of 83,667, or 0.001% of the total to be representative.

The more difficult problem is to "select" 83,667 individuals (population of the Isle of Man) in an unbiased manner.

asta1 wrote:
I'm quite impressed with Dr. Zmigrod and his experimental design.

He is a she.
https://theconversation.com/profiles/leor-zmigrod-461550

The paper has a footnote, "The authors declare no conflict of interest."

asta1
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:36 - 02 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
asta wrote:

The more difficult problem is to "select" 83,667 individuals (population of the Isle of Man) in an unbiased manner.

asta1 wrote:
I'm quite impressed with Dr. Zmigrod and his experimental design.

He is a she.
https://theconversation.com/profiles/leor-zmigrod-461550

The paper has a footnote, "The authors declare no conflict of interest."

Firstly, oops. The fucking Patriarchy strikes once again...

Secondly, agreed. Very difficult to randomly select anyone, especially that many.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:41 - 02 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

asta1 wrote:

Firstly, oops. The fucking Patriarchy strikes once again...

Secondly, agreed. Very difficult to randomly select anyone, especially that many.

That reminds me I have to avoid the university areas around this time of year...

Always people writing their dissertations pleading with me to contribute to their research.

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:13 - 03 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

This week in EU:

Ratification started on trade deals with Japan & Singapore.
Trade deal agreed with Mexico.
Approved a strengthened framework to tackle unfair competition in trade.
Tackles low-paid work.
2021-2027 EU 27 budget planned

This week in UK:

Tories deporting British people to countries they’ve never lived in.
Corbyn still supports the government, endorsed by BNP and gets 6500 bots from Putin.
Theresa May fails to push through the Parliament 2 EU custom proposals that already have been rejected by EU.
Tory MP with ruptured anus during tradional tory power stance routine Laughing Laughing Laughing

https://www.southendnewsnetwork.net/news/tory-mp-james-duddridge-rushed-to-hospital-with-ruptured-anus-after-power-stance-goes-wrong/

I can't wait for the next week Embarassed
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:33 - 03 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Val wrote:
Seriously 332 sample is fine.

Seriously, it's not, a 5+ confidence interval is junk even by pollstermaths

And at that size, selection methodology becomes critical. I'd be fascinated to know what their sample set was. Sight unseen, I'd guess it was been-nowhere, done-nothing Cambridge undergraduates under 21 rather than the general public, and the vast majority of that 332 were Marxist Remoaners. You're welcome to guess otherwise.

Perhaps it was the population of a small Wakandan village. By pollstermaths, you can extrapolate from any 332 people to a population of 17 million, 70 million, or all 7 billion inhabitants of the planet, with exactly the same fantasy CI.

Anyway, back on topic, we're entering the end game of Brexit betrayal. Even the EU is (correctly, for one) calling Treasona's latest customs delusions "magical thinking".

As Itchy notes, it's far, far too late to begin preparing for anything other than business as usual. We have no option on the table except to continue as a vassal state, at any cost.

This is deliberate, not accidental.

If 48 Tory MPs don't give her a Caesar send-off in the next few weeks - and I don't believe that they have the numbers or they'd have done it long since - it's game over for Brexit and democracy.

Rob Fzs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:37 - 03 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:
So it's all cool yeah.

There are 332 days till BREXIT and there have been massive preparations in order to facilitate the exit right?

Those lorry parks in Kent have been built.

The border in NI/IRE has been built with non existent tech.

And all of the port facilities have been upgraded.

UK banks have also been allowed full pass porting and full rights to trade services with Europe.

192 trade agreements have been signed.

The EU/US open skies agreements have been signed and replaced with a UK version.

Right?

As a side note the negotiations between the PRC and UK for HK started in 1981 and took till 1985. The preparation for it took 11.5 years to complete. This is in a territory only twice the size of the Isle of Wight with 8% of the population. Building a simple house took me 2.5 years.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DYqsQ_gX0AE7ciL.jpg

I see Associate membership being mentioned more and more as the days go on
'00 Aprilia RS50 > '92 Honda CG > '99 Yamaha Fazer > '91 Yamaha RXS > '79 Suzuki X5 > 01' Honda Cg > 07' Honda Cg > 82' Kawasaki Z200 > suzuki gsxr 400 gk73a > honda vfr 400 NC30> Yamaha RD350 YPVS F2 > Kawasaki ZZR 600 D1 > Yamaha TZR 250 2MA >Suzuki TL1000R > Yamaha TDR250 > Honda 929 blade > Suzuki SV1000 > Honda H100
Mod 2 Passed 09/06/2011

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:56 - 03 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, for sure, we'll end up with some sort of Kiddie Table version of vassalhood. At the moment it's looking like the worst of all worlds: losing even the token pretence to having a say; paying a massive lump sum (because why?) on top of everything we were already paying; continue to pay everything that we were already paying; continuing to comply with every deranged diktat; leaving our borders wide open to every Elbonian grifter; and having no ability to trade on our own.

Still, we had a laugh, didn't we. Whistle

Rob Fzs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:08 - 03 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could have been in EFTA arranging our own trade deals by now...
Mod 2 Passed 09/06/2011
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 361 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 104, 105, 106 ... 521, 522, 523  Next
Page 105 of 523