Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Brexit: What do you think will happen?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 172, 173, 174 ... 521, 522, 523  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:11 - 13 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
Ok, no crystal ball but a healthy degree of cynicism.

You and me togevver bruv! With your cynicism and my sarcasm, we can rule the world! Very Happy

Failing that, can anyone here actually predict the future with any kind of accuracy? No? Thought not.

Thinking

Otoh, everyone got the outcome of the EU referendum right, didn't they? I mean, how hard could that one have been, given that we can all predict everything to do with politics, economics and the rest?
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:13 - 13 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liquefied Natural Gas is Methane.

We and Europe have been importing it from outside since the 60's.

I was cadet on the second purpose built LNG carrier bringing it from Arzew, Algeria to various ports in Europe and UK.

I can assure you that Nigeria, Algeria and the other major suppliers won't give a rats arse who they sell it to, EU member or not.

Same with oil.

Stupid argument.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:21 - 13 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Liquefied Natural Gas is Methane.

We and Europe have been importing it from outside since the 60's.

I was cadet on the second purpose built LNG carrier bringing it from Arzew, Algeria to various ports in Europe and UK.

I can assure you that Nigeria, Algeria and the other major suppliers won't give a rats arse who they sell it to, EU member or not.

Same with oil.

Stupid argument.

Yes, but you never stuck a pipe up your arse, did you? Wink

Otoh, some of the disreputable places you've been... Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:32 - 13 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear I meant home-produced and locally used, not imported. In my scenario the infrastructure won't exist to transport it from ports to consumers.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:38 - 13 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
In my scenario...

Phew, thank feck for that! I thought you knew what you were banging on about for a minute there!

From what I can see, future energy sources are a worldwide problem, not caused by Brexit. We in the UK actually aren't doing too badly with renewables at present.

And I am. I'm actually gonna stick a pipe up my arse. Methane or no methane Laughing

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:40 - 13 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdp - do you seriously think the 'market' will maintain the comfortable existence you currently enjoy for any longer than you are able to pay for goods and services?

Of course there will be adjustments as fossil fuels wane, but these adjustments will not be able to provide you with a continuation of your current existence. Our society only exists at the level it does because of the availability of cheap fossil fuel.

To say that I "don't really understand how business works" demonstrates your lack of understanding rather than mine, old son...

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:44 - 13 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:

Of course there will be adjustments as fossil fuels wane, but these adjustments will not be able to provide you with a continuation of your current existence. Our society only exists at the level it does because of the availability of cheap fossil fuel.

I think most of the developed world has actually seriously begun to accept that this is the case and is working towards alternatives. Again, how does Brexit affect this? Have we not already accepted that the ICE is a dinosaur, soon to be completely outlawed in many places?

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:00 - 13 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately we aren't working fast enough in this country. Look at personal car ownership as an example - unless you live next to a railway or tram service, once oil becomes too expensive for day to day use you had better hope that your place of employment is within walking distance...

In terms of renewables, how long has it taken us to implement the current Building Regs Part L? Way too long unfortunately.

Our Planning system doesn't require use of sustainable energy sources, just that all development be 'sustainable'. This word means nothing in reality.

Renewables will provide energy and heat for those that can afford to invest in them before it all goes tits-up, not the bulk of the population.

I could go on, but I sense a general view that the 'market' will provide, or if it can't, a Government will do. Sadly I have faith in neither in the long term...

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:15 - 13 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has this thread turned from a "Brexit: What do you think will happen?" one into a "Fuel: What do you think will happen?" one?

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:16 - 13 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read once that we have the ability to feed a maximum of 40 million people in Britain, if the Government had a mind to make it so. This figure depended upon use of fossil fuels to farm and transport.

Remind me, mpd old chap, oh wise, all-seeing being, just how large our population is at the moment and how much of our food we currently import?

Now, just assume for a second that global energy isn't as cheap as it is right now and that food prices rise as a result of increased production, transportation and storage costs. Assume also that you don't earn any more than you do now because whoever you work for cannot make a bigger profit. What happens when you go to the supermarket and you find that you can no longer afford to feed your black wife and your racially mixed, gender non-specific offspring?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:22 - 13 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
Unfortunately we aren't working fast enough in this country. Look at personal car ownership as an example - unless you live next to a railway or tram service, once oil becomes too expensive for day to day use you had better hope that your place of employment is within walking distance...

It wouldn't be a bad idea for people to live close to where they work. It's up to government and employers to make that possible. After all, who wants a long commute everyday?

Quote:
In terms of renewables, how long has it taken us to implement the current Building Regs Part L? Way too long unfortunately.

Yes, we need to step this up.

Quote:
Renewables will provide energy and heat for those that can afford to invest in them before it all goes tits-up, not the bulk of the population.

It will have to provide for all our needs, or we are indeed doomed. But then, we all know that ever-growing world populations and the planet's finite resources are driving the real problems. Again, not Brexit.

Quote:
I could go on, but I sense a general view that the 'market' will provide, or if it can't, a Government will do. Sadly I have faith in neither in the long term...

I bet I'm worse off than you, but I don't let any of it get me down too much. I mean, does it help if I do? Cheer up Smile

But I also feel that it is perhaps about time we all learned to accept a little less extravagant luxury in our lives. It isn't necessary on the scale people have become accustomed to, to live a happy and fulfilling life. People will just have to accept change, and learn to adapt.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:44 - 13 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chickenstrip I agree with you once more. We will go to less of a consumer plastic-based economy to one where men wear rough shirts and sing sea-shanties whilst sipping stoops of real ale, and all women are busty...

mpd your graph shows a rise from 30 dollars to 80 with no account taken of inflation, and little (I presume) of what happens when the stuff becomes uneconomic to extract. It is meaningless therefore as a predictor of future prices.

At what point did I assume prices had remained constant for the preceding 100 years?

You make a valid point about the proportion of tax to oil. Imagine a scenario where oil consumption reduces because we can't afford it, and tax revenues drop...

Regarding alternatives, of course there are many. Are you geared up to ferment your own biofuel? What about even higher food prices as more land is taken up to grow plant-matter for ethanol?

Don't be deluded into thinking that neo-classical economics will retain a comfortable lifestyle just for you, because this isn't so.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:52 - 13 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, not scared yet. Try harder Smile

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:59 - 13 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not trying to scare anybody, merely pointing out to mpd that there are bigger things coming along in life than Diane Abbot's television appearances... I am trying to remove his neo-Nazi tunnel vision, and I see this as my good deed for the day.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:00 - 13 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Admittedly in a most patronising manner, however I accept this...

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:07 - 13 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
Not trying to scare anybody, merely pointing out to mpd that there are bigger things coming along in life than Diane Abbot's television appearances... I am trying to remove his neo-Nazi tunnel vision, and I see this as my good deed for the day.

I guess us unemployed scum need something to occupy ourselves Laughing

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:21 - 13 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Btw:

Diggs wrote:
Chickenstrip I agree with you once more. We will go to less of a consumer plastic-based economy to one where men wear rough shirts and sing sea-shanties whilst sipping stoops of real ale, and all women are busty...

Bring it on! Very Happy

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:48 - 13 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried my best to stay out of this one but I agree with MPD on fuel etc - we adapt.
Teesside with its humungous chemical plants and power stations is a good example: Why Teesside for those chemicals? Been there decades. Currently they're (mostly) using gas to create the compounds because 'it's easier' - read that as cheaper/simpler.
In the past they used salt wells for some stuff but the majority of products had origins in coal gas and other byproducts from the coking processes that fueled the many steelworks in the borough.

My point being that should whatever get expensive, difficult to move around the country etc then we're very good at adapting.
Yes it will be tough for many but we'll get by.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 165 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 172, 173, 174 ... 521, 522, 523  Next
Page 173 of 523