Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Brexit: What do you think will happen?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 244, 245, 246 ... 521, 522, 523  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:28 - 12 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
If Farage comes at us with a new party he will need to position it somewhere on the economic spectrum to be valid. He will also have to line up deals with other countries to show us exactly what will happen if we leave the EU, otherwise we are no further forward....

I think "exactly" is going a bit far - impossible for either side.
But similarly, Remainers need to be more convincing about the direction of the EU being benign - more than that; desirable.

If both sides manage to make their arguments more convincing, we'll stay in a state of stalemate anyway Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

Last edited by chickenstrip on 12:29 - 12 Jan 2019; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:29 - 12 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if the powers that be somehow sabotage Brexit either by cancelling it or having another referendum I don't think it will ever go away now.

A bit like the Scottish independence, they lost but it's obvious they plan on having referendum after referendum until it passes and then that one counts.

I suspect the EU will get fed up with us long before we actually leave and kick us out anyway. Dance!

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:03 - 12 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
If Farage comes at us with a new party he will need to position it somewhere on the economic spectrum to be valid. He will also have to line up deals with other countries to show us exactly what will happen if we leave the EU, otherwise we are no further forward....

I would guess that a new single-issue anti-EU party would come into being, which would attract large amounts of votes, which would in itself be problematic for "the system". Perhaps it wouldn't even need to be a party; just a name on the ballot paper with "Anti-EU" or similar on it.

Whatever, the UKIP is I think now as dead as a doornail, due to its recent extremist associations.

There's also the situation from the EU's perspective. Should we stay in, it will cause the EU a good deal of trouble. Exactly how much is unclear, of course, but a UK fifth column would not be helpful to it

Last edited by Riejufixing on 13:06 - 12 Jan 2019; edited 1 time in total

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:06 - 12 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Diggs wrote:

I think "exactly" is going a bit far - impossible for either side.
But similarly, Remainers need to be more convincing about the direction of the EU being benign - more than that; desirable.

If both sides manage to make their arguments more convincing, we'll stay in a state of stalemate anyway Laughing

Ok, 'exactly' is a bit ambitious. I do think he will have to provide a proper, costed argument to convince us that leaving will be worth not having a Government with any policies other than compulsory beer and a fag on a Friday afternoon...

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:10 - 12 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:

Ok, 'exactly' is a bit ambitious. I do think he will have to provide a proper, costed argument to convince us that leaving will be worth not having a Government with any policies other than compulsory beer and a fag on a Friday afternoon...

But what are the costings of remaining in the EU? For the next year? 5? 10?

And the governments we have aren't currently much better than that Laughing
At least with fags, you have the packet to write your calculations on Mr. Green
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:17 - 12 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:

There's also the situation from the EU's perspective. Should we stay in, it will cause the EU a good deal of trouble. Exactly how much is unclear, of course, but a UK fifth column would not be helpful to it

Nor is a fifth column here in the UK helpful to us. One way or another, eventually, both sides need to be reconciled to some degree. Maybe as Leave supporters, we hope that an improving, or at least tolerable situation in this country would be enough to do this. I don't see how Remainers plan on reconciliation if we stay in though. Leavers want change. Remainers want the status quo that was at the root of this rift in the first place.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:03 - 12 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Riejufixing wrote:

Nor is a fifth column here in the UK helpful to us. One way or another, eventually, both sides need to be reconciled to some degree. Maybe as Leave supporters, we hope that an improving, or at least tolerable situation in this country would be enough to do this. I don't see how Remainers plan on reconciliation if we stay in though. Leavers want change. Remainers want the status quo that was at the root of this rift in the first place.

That is looking at it in black and white. Many remainers such as myself want change, but think that the best way to achieve it is from within.

Regarding reconciliation, I couldn't give a flying fig which way people voted as long as they aren't arsy about it. The only people I've fallen out with are electronic ones such as Mdma, and that is all pretend because it is words on a computer screen and not real life.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:28 - 12 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

Many remainers such as myself want change, but think that the best way to achieve it is from within.

Sigh. You know what Leavers think about that. We're still in that never ending tail-chase.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:43 - 12 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
Many remainers such as myself want change, but think that the best way to achieve it is from within.

Mr Cameron tried that. They sent him back with his tail between his legs, unfortunately.

Were the EU still the EEC, that might perhaps help; but it isn't.

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:02 - 12 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:
Gonna jump in with a newish prediction - some interesting admissions from MPs prompting me..

Mays deal is blocked.
May drops in Plan B: Delay leaving the EU for a year. Tells everyone it'll allow time to clarify things and understand the process better (bollox I know).
That extra year allows a new political party to be created. The new party is run by Farage and some other 'interesting' people. The new party speak plain language to the people of the UK and the people side with them - basically leave without a deal because that's what the people want.
A general election is somehow (yeah I know it's DR Who script writing) forced upon us. Farage and his plain speaking party slay the two main partys and he wins.

(I reckon I have at least one thing correct in that lot)

Starting a new party doesn't really work. The most effective approach is to hijack an existing one as momentum did.

Diggs wrote:

That is looking at it in black and white. Many remainers such as myself want change, but think that the best way to achieve it is from within.

Regarding reconciliation, I couldn't give a flying fig which way people voted as long as they aren't arsy about it. The only people I've fallen out with are electronic ones such as Mdma, and that is all pretend because it is words on a computer screen and not real life.

The EU is open to change, if by change you mean transferring more power to the EU. If you want power back, or to reform the way the EU works, well that's not up for discussion.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:06 - 12 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:
Delay leaving the EU for a year.

Again everyone seems to be saying something different, but the EU seem to be saying extending article 50 isn't an option.

I guess they see this all as a distraction, and want the UK to either stay in (revoke article 50) or accept May's deal.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:18 - 12 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll add into my prediction. I think it will go one of two ways now: One way is extending the 'consultation period' and the other is cancelling Brexit.

We're living in an interesting political period. I believe politicians will use the 'best for the country' excuse. Obviously the people are not stupid and will vote hard over this, if at all.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:24 - 12 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the thing is we've had remainers saying its divided the country but it hasn't, that's just butthurt on their part, had the vote gone the other way we wouldn't even be discussing the matter now.

If we end up not leaving the EU for whatever reason, then as others are saying, that'll fuel a lot of ill feeling, and potentially open the door for UKIP 2.0/Tommy Robinson and whatever other fringe groups form.

I'm just saying leaving the EU and UKIP imploding might be a better outcome.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:33 - 12 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Protester James Goddard held over Parliament incidents'. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-46849939

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:10 - 12 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe they did cross some imaginary line, it's just noticeable how there have been months and months of aggressive left wing protests (the BBC even mentioned this), then the right show up and suddenly it's abhorrent and arrests are made.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:16 - 12 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soubrey's not the type to let it go, particularly when there's political capital to be made from it.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:17 - 12 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Free speech being eroded rapidly and all the while there are kids out of control in major cities. As usual the easy pickings are targeted and the difficult stuff is ignored.
Politicians wonder why we're actually saying these things and why people are protest voting. This country needs picking up, shaking violently (gets rid of the last clingers on) and putting back down as something sensible that works for everyone.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:32 - 12 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:
Politicians wonder why we're actually saying these things

Well as pointed out by others 'scum' and 'nazi' are fairly mild by BCF standards. Most people from council estates get called/are seen as scum and among some communities anyone fair-haired with blue eyes is a Nazi.

Still poor her Crying or Very sad

barrkel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:22 - 12 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dwtw-3OXQAEvuLB.jpg:large
Jewlio Rides Again LLB This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Abusive). Unhide this post / all posts.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 106 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 244, 245, 246 ... 521, 522, 523  Next
Page 245 of 523