Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Brexit: What do you think will happen?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 288, 289, 290 ... 521, 522, 523  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:15 - 12 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its all politics and posturing because the US/Mexico border already has the fence where natural obstacles don't exist...

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:35 - 12 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suntan Sid wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:
With the problem the US has on the Mexican border, seems like a no-brainer to me.

Two thirds of all "illegal" immigrants enter the US legally, they simply don't bother to leave when their visas/work permits end.
Of course clamping down on the majority of illegals would mean the end of a lot of cheap, unaccountable, labour.

The border agencies could stop handing out thousands of work permits, everyday, at the border crossing points. It would be twice as effective as building a wall and cost a lot less, but who's going to mow the lawns and clean the rooms and toilets at the orange turd's country clubs and golf courses then?

The reason I'm not challenging you on this is because it seems you can't know how much of what you read and see on the news is for real these days. I certainly won't believe anything anyone on here says Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:43 - 12 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 CPT wrote:
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwi83MH5u7TgAhULnxQKHfx5A1MQzPwBegQIARAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.thenational.ae%2Fworld%2Fmena%2Fsyria-turkey-border-wall-completed-1.738637&psig=AOvVaw0IMZ6PG6o5t9xmgFj-7SoA&ust=1550001570836655

I tried to click on that but I get:

"Kennisgeving voor omleiding
De pagina waarop je je bevindt, probeert je naar https://www.thenational.ae/world/mena/syria-turkey-border-wall-completed-1.738637 te sturen.

Als je de betreffende pagina niet wilt bezoeken, kun je teruggaan naar de vorige pagina."

Web sites at work come up in different languages. Like when I open facebook (at lunch of course) it is in Arabic.
Unless it's just the UK preparing for about 30 years time Thumbs Up

Last edited by bhinso on 15:43 - 12 Feb 2019; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:00 - 12 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 CPT wrote:
But who voted him in? I suspect it was many of the children of the baby boomers, not the baby boomers themselves.

You did (iirc) Very Happy I was never old enough 'to vote for Blair', although I remember at the time Blair was seen kinda like Obama; the guy who was gonna change everything. I think a lot of it was people pissed off after 18 years of the Tories and Major who wasn't exactly a charismatic character.

mpd72 CPT wrote:
And then came unsustainable immigration, which many see as a deliberate ploy by Blair, voted in by the generation born to the baby boomers, so he could increase the Labour vote pool.

I remember 'Mondeo man', I doubt the landslide Labour won with in 1997 left Blair feeling uneasy and the need to increase the Labour voter base. Also it hasn't worked has it? We've had a Tory/coalition for getting on a decade now and I don't see the Great JC getting voted in unless the Tories really implode.

Why and how Blair massively increased immigration in his very first year in office... I've still yet to find a satisfactory answer and explanation.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:08 - 12 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
Its all politics and posturing because the US/Mexico border already has the fence where natural obstacles don't exist...

Nope the border is little more than barbed wire in a lot of places...

https://c8.alamy.com/comp/E06YTW/arivaca-arizona-usa-29th-apr-2014-arizona-border-rancher-james-chilton-E06YTW.jpg

I had no idea either until I saw a Sky documentary following the routes traffickers were taking. Not quite what the left is saying is it Thinking

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:19 - 12 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you don't see in that picture are the patrols. It isn't as straightforward as crossing a river, wall or fence because much of the countryside around the border is like in your picture so walking isn't easy, and the locals don't take kindly to wetbacks.

Years ago I was on a Greyhound bus in Texas and it was pulled over by the plod at a makeshift checkpoint. Gun-totin' sherrifs came onboard, hauled off everybody who wasn't clearly white or black and put them in a cage. I didn't see what happened to them as we drove off, but i can't imagine they were given visas on the spot.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:26 - 12 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 CPT wrote:
It's pretty obvious who immigrants on the whole will vote for though isn't it? There were quite a few who worked closely with Blair at the time who have said the same thing. He wont admit it though as it;s hardly patriotic and stinks of him putting himself ahead of the country, just like all the feckwits involved now.

Quote:
The huge increases in migrants over the last decade were partly due to a politically motivated attempt by ministers to radically change the country and "rub the Right's nose in diversity", according to Andrew Neather, a former adviser to Tony Blair, Jack Straw and David Blunkett.

He said Labour's relaxation of controls was a deliberate plan to "open up the UK to mass migration" but that ministers were nervous and reluctant to discuss such a move publicly for fear it would alienate its "core working class vote".

As a result, the public argument for immigration concentrated instead on the economic benefits and need for more migrants.

Critics said the revelations showed a "conspiracy" within Government to impose mass immigration for "cynical" political reasons.

I'm not denying that it just doesn't fully explain the situation for me. Also if you think about it Labour were voted out partly due to immigration. Remember Gordon Brown and the 'bigoted woman'?

Diggs wrote:
What you don't see in that picture are the patrols. It isn't as straightforward as crossing a river, wall or fence because much of the countryside around the border is like in your picture so walking isn't easy, and the locals don't take kindly to wetbacks.

Years ago I was on a Greyhound bus in Texas and it was pulled over by the plod at a makeshift checkpoint. Gun-totin' sherrifs came onboard, hauled off everybody who wasn't clearly white or black and put them in a cage. I didn't see what happened to them as we drove off, but i can't imagine they were given visas on the spot.

The traffickers knew how to get around the motion sensors, patrols etc.. In the doc' a Mexican gang were basically guarding the boarder. I'm sure I posted it somewhere probably in the migrant thread. The point is there's a massive illegal trade involving people getting ripped off, robbed, raped... sounds familiar doesn't it? This all culminates in people hoping over a barbed wire fence.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:32 - 12 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:

Does this give an accurate picture of how it is everywhere along the border at all times? I suspect not, because of other things one reads and sees. But I couldn't say for certain. The recent news about hordes of people from various South American countries flooding towards the US border suggests Trump has a point about his wall. But when even the BBC adopts its own agenda these days, who knows without going and studying a situation for themselves? One day on a Greyhound bus is hardly going to give you a comprehensive picture of what's going on.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:35 - 12 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is 2000 miles long so nothing is going to be truly effective, particularly when there's money involved...

My point is that without help and somewhere to stay and work, the average Mexican and his/her family can't just walk into the US and expect not to get caught. A bit like the UK really...

The whole business of 'the wall' was a symbolic gesture on Trump's part.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:40 - 12 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
It is 2000 miles long so nothing is going to be truly effective, particularly when there's money involved...

My point is that without help and somewhere to stay and work, the average Mexican and his/her family can't just walk into the US and expect not to get caught. A bit like the UK really...

Well all these stories in the UK and US of families being here for years illegally show it's possible. I haven't looked into what Trump wants, and whether his wall would or wouldn't make a difference to the photo I posted. I believe it's the same guy that was in the Sky docu', it's his ranch he's standing on. My response was just to point out that the border looks very different to what you posted in certain places.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:45 - 12 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:

Prove it.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:55 - 12 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course its not all secure. It never can be because the border is 2000 miles long. To put it in simple terms, it is most secure where towns straddle the border and least secure where crossing leads to nowhere. The US considers desert and scrubland a natural obstacle because nobody can survive for long or travel north without help.

I'm no expert on 2000 miles of border, but then again neither is anybody else here by the sound of it. All I know is what I have seen and experienced for myself.

Another example of US border control is the ease with which I managed to cross from Mexico without the correct paperwork some years ago because I didn't look Mexican. One of the blokes with me was held in a detention room and strip-searched before they'd let him cross because he was a bit Spanish looking, even though he had all the right bits. He comes from Batley, so it wasn't the accent....

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:04 - 12 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
Of course its not all secure. It never can be because the border is 2000 miles long. To put it in simple terms, it is most secure where towns straddle the border and least secure where crossing leads to nowhere. The US considers desert and scrubland a natural obstacle because nobody can survive for long or travel north without help.

I'm no expert on 2000 miles of border, but then again neither is anybody else here by the sound of it. All I know is what I have seen and experienced for myself.

Brick Wall < not Trumps wall.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:05 - 12 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:

Sigh. This is it, isn't it? And yet still people make sweeping statements based on a couple of personal experiences, or because it's what they like to think. One day, maybe the world will get back to facts, or at least lose some of the unjustified arrogance with which they claim to know best Rolling Eyes

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:11 - 12 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Diggs wrote:

Prove it.

He's been in power for two years and the money to build the wall hasn't even been approved. Being the smart cookie that he is, he would have made sure he had enough potential support in Congress or the ability to raise the money some other way, before wooing voters with talk of a wall, surely?

Prove that he knew he could do it before making the promise...

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:15 - 12 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
He's been in power for two years and the money to build the wall hasn't even been approved. Being the smart cookie that he is, he would have made sure he had enough potential support in Congress or the ability to raise the money some other way, before wooing voters with talk of a wall, surely?

It was a campaign pledge. He knew it wouldn't be approved. He's made sure everyone knows it was blocked by the democrats. They can't say where's the wall you promised.

Trump appears to be smarter than you Shocked

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:19 - 12 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

Prove it.

You're the one making the sweeping statements and claiming accurate knowledge. I don't need to prove anything, because I haven't claimed anything. I'm happy to admit I don't know, just have my suspicions.

cdlxxvi
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 17:23 - 12 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

It was a campaign pledge. He knew it wouldn't be approved. He's made sure everyone knows it was blocked by the democrats. They can't say where's the wall you promised.

The Democrats prevented Mexico from funding the wall the way the Stable Genius promised? Laughing

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:25 - 12 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ Speaking of arrogant know-it-alls Rolling Eyes Laughing

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:26 - 12 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Diggs wrote:

And that is my point. That is why I say it is symbolic, not reality. Its not a case of me claiming undue 'accurate knowledge' because it is a fact that the money hasn't been approved.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:29 - 12 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
^ Speaking of arrogant know-it-alls Rolling Eyes Laughing

I have never claimed to know it all. Are we going to fall out here?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 72 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 288, 289, 290 ... 521, 522, 523  Next
Page 289 of 523