Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Brexit: What do you think will happen?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 295, 296, 297 ... 521, 522, 523  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:01 - 16 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 CPT wrote:
Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

Tariffs are paid to the customs authority like a tax, but won't the importers just pass the cost on to the consumer? It makes equivalent British goods more attractive to the home crowd but tariffs don't make us wealthier.[/i][/u]

Not if they want to remain competitive in the market, no.
All it will do is make those imports less competitive against UK manufactured goods.

Push the price to the consumer and the consumer will move on. That's how market pricing works. Things are artificially cheap in the UK, including food. Importing cheap goods may be fine as a temporary measure, but in the long run, the wealth of the country is dwindling unless we export.

But you seem to think buying more foreign goods than we sell back the other way is a good thing, and somehow the tariffs make us richer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:04 - 16 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 CPT wrote:
Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

But you seem to think buying more foreign goods than we sell back the other way is a good thing, and somehow the tariffs make us richer.

No I don't. I'd prefer us to have a trade surplus and so would the UK economy.

I only bring up the tariffs debate to debunk Roman Numeral Man, when he tries to pretend we'll suffer more than the EU with a massive trade deficit with them. Simple mathematical fact seemingly doesn't exist in Lefty World.

I think you don't give a shit about the country, rather you're just happy because you'll be benefiting directly from the aggro caused by needing extra customs.

cdlxxvi
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 17:11 - 16 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 CPT wrote:
Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

No I don't. I'd prefer us to have a trade surplus and so would the UK economy.

I only bring up the tariffs debate to debunk Roman Numeral Man, when he tries to pretend we'll suffer more than the EU with a massive trade deficit with them. Simple mathematical fact seemingly doesn't exist in Lefty World.

Sir, let's for a moment entertain the extremely naive assumption that import & export levels will remain unchanged under a Somalia-style Brexit, and the extra 5bn will indeed by collected by HMRC.

Tariffs being taxes on imports, we will be taxed more heavily than the EU27 citizens. Are you trying to say that more taxes will make us better off?
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:23 - 16 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
We need to stop importing way more than we export and need to start selling more than we buy because the coffers will soon be empty.

Now you're getting it, but up to now you've said the EU needs us more than we need them thanks to the deficit, and yet somehow we'll be taking more of their money because of it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

cdlxxvi
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 20:48 - 16 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 CPT wrote:
The importer pays the import tariff, not the consumer.

And pray, my most wise sir, where do importers get their money?

mpd72 CPT wrote:
the consumer will buy elsewhere, such as locally produced goods not affected by the tariffs.

So you would force us to buy more expensive and inferior goods? Even assuming that they will be available in sufficient quantity, I'm not entirely convinced that we will be tremendously happy with switching from Spanish oranges to Great Brexitish onions.

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:27 - 16 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

National lottery revenue goes on:

50% prizes
28% Good causes
12% Government
5% Retailers as commission [24]
4.5% Camelot for operating costs
0.5% Camelot for profit

Laughing

cdlxxvi
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 23:15 - 16 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 CPT wrote:

The importers need customers to survive, so must remain competitive.
Do you not understand basic business sense?

I’m sure I’ll understand it thanks to your peerless teachings! Enlighten me, I beg you: can those importers lower their margin indefinitely? Or maybe there exists a possibility that tariffs make goods more expensive?

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:40 - 16 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I work for the UK company that supplies European kit to the UK market. What would you say is a reasonable profit margin Donk?

cdlxxvi
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 07:11 - 17 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 CPT wrote:

It’s a buyers market. If the importers can’t compete, they lose out and a competitor steps up and takes the trade.

Public sector or student? You have no idea how business works.

Sir, I implore you to continue your lecture: since you say that another importer will step in to replace the one who raised prices due to tariffs, we will never experience price rises due to tariffs. This is “how business works”, right?

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:18 - 17 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

@mpd

I suppose this is another company who are lying as to the reasons they've gone titsup??

https://www.flybmi.com/en/

Because, brexit can't possibly have a detrimental effect to the economy & people lives !!

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:25 - 17 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
@mpd

I suppose this is another company who are lying as to the reasons they've gone titsup??

https://www.flybmi.com/en/

Because, brexit can't possibly have a detrimental effect to the economy & people lives !!

I was waiting for this...

'said Brexit uncertainty and rises in fuel and carbon costs led'

...and it was the crap regional part BA didn't want when they took over...

...and they were running at low capacity and weren't big enough to pump in cash like other airlines are having to do...

but yeah lets exclusively blame Brexit Rolling Eyes

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:42 - 17 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hahaha

You're oh so predictable !!

https://cdn.bcf.44bytes.net/files/head-in-sand-pic.jpg

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:09 - 17 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jewlio Rides Again LLB wrote:
Well I work for the UK company that supplies European kit to the UK market. What would you say is a reasonable profit margin Donk?

^ Still waiting

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:15 - 17 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/samuelengel1/2018/11/01/which-european-airline-will-fall-next-hint-look-at-the-hubs/#7a60e4821993

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:15 - 17 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The BBC and the rest are probably sitting on some really big scare stories for closer to no deal. If it were news of course they would release them now, but its propaganda so they will release it when the time is politically right for them Laughing

cdlxxvi
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 14:41 - 17 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 CPT wrote:
cdlxxvi wrote:

Sir, I implore you to continue your lecture: since you say that another importer will step in to replace the one who raised prices due to tariffs, we will never experience price rises due to tariffs. This is “how business works”, right?

Miss, I love how you just make things up to suit your argument. I said nothing of the sort, the competitor may not be an importer, it could be a home produced product.

So again, in your business expert’s view, is it not a problem that tariffs will force us to buy domestic product that is unavailable, inferior, dearer, or bit of all? (Because otherwise we would be buying it already instead of importing)
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 63 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 295, 296, 297 ... 521, 522, 523  Next
Page 296 of 523