Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Brexit: What do you think will happen?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 329, 330, 331 ... 521, 522, 523  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 10:56 - 14 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:
With regards the secure hard line Labour voters in areas which have always traditionally supported Labour, I can confirm that everyone is furious!
I have a lot of friends from the coal fields and we've been chatting for hours on last nights shenanigans. Labour are in for a shock and are about to lose a lot of support. I've friends down into Wigan too and they're equally furious.
Two Local MPs to me - Ronnie Campbell (Blyth Valley) and Ian Lavery (Wansbeck) both went against us. That tells me they have no balls and are nothing but puppets to the party now.

It's good isn't it. Mr. Green

The hard line Labour voters in areas which have already traditionally supported labout and going to lose a lot of support but who will those voters support instead?

If there's an issue which an MPs constituents care about so much that feel they can no longer vote for that MP or party, to really stick the knife in they've got to vote for someone else who's going to address the issue.

Is the reason Corbyn keeps going on about calling an early general election because he knows Labour are losing support every day?

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:08 - 14 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
I still think the only get out clause for MP's is another referendum for leave or remain.

They are never going to get the backstop changes and other than unilaterally cancelling Brexit (political suicide) there is never going to be agreement for a deal that I can see.

The maximum extension is until the euro elections but only if there is a reasonable chance of progression and I just can't see that.

A second referendum is extremely unlikely, it's just too divisive, and it can't pass Parliament. It also doesn't solve the issue if leave wins because we just come back to the current situation. All you gain is mass anger and violence and a few Jo Coxed MPs executed in the second ref campaign. The path of highest probility is a Brexit, either May's or a no-deal.

These votes are contradictory because they are only motions. If you place binding bills on leaving or remaining, leaving is going to win.

Sister Sledge wrote:
With regards the secure hard line Labour voters in areas which have always traditionally supported Labour, I can confirm that everyone is furious!
I have a lot of friends from the coal fields and we've been chatting for hours on last nights shenanigans. Labour are in for a shock and are about to lose a lot of support. I've friends down into Wigan too and they're equally furious.
Two Local MPs to me - Ronnie Campbell (Blyth Valley) and Ian Lavery (Wansbeck) both went against us. That tells me they have no balls and are nothing but puppets to the party now.

Blyth will probably go to the Tories or some Brexit party next time regardless. That guy seems to be standing down at the next election, the membership will probably install a momentum type who loves the EU and the I can't see the constituents getting on board with that.

Pjay wrote:
Val wrote:
Parliament can revoke Article 50 - the end of Brexit. Laughing Laughing Laughing

That would also need the approval of all other member states.

Not quite. Requesting an extension requires approval, revoking article 50 does not. And yes, they can extend by just revoking article 50. The ECJ has ruled on this. Stopping Brexit is legally very easy to do for a government minister (but not for the Parliament), but the political price is just too high.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:02 - 14 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

You all need to get things in perspective.

The top news item on Radio 1's Newsbeat last night was...

Period Poverty! Very Happy Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:10 - 14 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

And European Council president Donald Tusk indicated that the EU may be ready to offer a lengthy extension to negotiations if the UK wants to “rethink its Brexit strategy and build consensus around it”.

https://home.bt.com/news/uk-news/commons-certain-to-vote-to-delay-brexit-says-chancellor-11364345087699

That's Brexit fcuked then. Val will be pissing himself.

Just drag it on and on until we all forget about it or die of old age.

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:15 - 14 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

But how can you claim this is important, when schoolgirls are being forced to spend £12 a month on tampons????

For Shame Mad

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:20 - 14 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhinso wrote:
But how can you claim this is important, when schoolgirls are being forced to spend £12 a month on tampons????

For Shame Mad

£12 a month Shocked The blood loss would be life threatening.

https://www.superdrug.com/Tampax/Tampax-Super-Applicator-Tampon-Single-20PK/p/240021?gclid=CjwKCAjw96fkBRA2EiwAKZjFTaMhDqH0YJK3NnEqNp2-njg3R9uqEmHX-gLIuQ4pmNi3rzIeGMcEKBoCkUsQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

20 for 1.99. That's 120 a month. Now I profess to not being totally au fait on the use of tampax but none of my women use that many. I wouldn't be able to get in the bathroom for little white mice with red noses.!!!!!!

Last edited by Polarbear on 14:23 - 14 Mar 2019; edited 1 time in total

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:23 - 14 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

'The potential is unlimited!' Donald Trump wades into the middle of the Brexit crisis with an early-morning tweet talking up a 'large scale trade deal' with Britain after we leave the EU

Dance! Dance! Dance! Dance!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6808625/Donald-Trump-wades-Brexit-crisis-early-morning-TRADE-DEAL-tweet.html

Of course it's nothing compared to the tragedy that is period poverty Sad

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:49 - 14 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

So we've heard all the "Treason May", "NO DEAL!!!!!" Brexit on the 29th March!" stuff from the woodentops in government, parliament and elsewhere.

Now, due to their ridiculous, stupid and shortsighted efforts, instead of getting out of the EU on the 29th, we've the Brexit delay debate today, and the four amendments to be debated and voted on.

Government's motion:

That this house:

(1) notes the resolutions of the house of 12 and 13 March, and accordingly agrees that the government will seek to agree with the European Union an extension of the period specified in article 50(3);

(2) agrees that, if the house has passed a resolution approving the negotiated withdrawal agreement and the framework for the future relationship for the purposes of section 13(1) (b) of the European Union (Withdrawal) Act 2018 by 20 March 2019, then the government will seek to agree with the European Union a one-off extension of the period specified in article 50(3) for a period ending on 30 June 2019 for the purpose of passing the necessary EU exit legislation; and

(3) notes that, if the house has not passed a resolution approving the negotiated withdrawal agreement and the framework for the future relationship for the purposes of section 13(1)(b) of the European Union (Withdrawal) Act 2018 by 20 March 2019, then it is highly likely that the European council at its meeting the following day would require a clear purpose for any extension, not least to determine its length, and that any extension beyond 30 June 2019 would require the United Kingdom to hold European Parliament elections in May 2019.

Amendments to be debated:

Amendment (h)

Dr Sarah Wollaston
Dr Philippa Whitford
Joanna Cherry
Tom Brake
Neil Coyle

Line 1, leave out from “House” to end and add “instructs the Prime Minister to request an extension to the Article 50 period at the European Council in March 2019 sufficient for the purposes of legislating for and conducting a public vote in which the people of the United Kingdom may give their consent for either leaving the European Union on terms to be determined by Parliament or retaining the United Kingdom’s membership of the European Union.”.

(Second in/out referendum time, might not pass)

Amendment (i)

Hilary Benn
Sir Oliver Letwin
Yvette Cooper
Mr Dominic Grieve
Norman Lamb
Stewart Hosie

Line 4, leave out from “Article 50 (3)” to end and add:
“to enable the House of Commons to find a way forward that can command majority support;
2. orders accordingly that on Wednesday 20 March –
(a) Standing Order No. 14(1) (which provides that government business shall have precedence at every sitting save as provided in that order) shall not apply;
(b) precedence shall be given to the motion specified in paragraph 3;
(c) the Speaker shall interrupt proceedings on any business before the motion specified in paragraph 3 at 1.30 pm and call a Member to move that motion;
(d) debate on that motion may continue until 7.00 pm at which time the Speaker shall put the questions necessary to dispose of proceedings on that motion including the questions on amendments selected by the Speaker which may then be moved;
(e) any proceedings interrupted or superseded by this order may be resumed or (as the case may be) entered upon and proceeded with after the moment of interruption; and
3. the motion specified in this paragraph is a motion in the name of at least 25 Members, including at least five Members elected to the House as members of at least five different parties, relating to the Business of the House on a future day or days in connection with matters relating to the United Kingdom’s withdrawal from the European Union.

As an amendment to Hilary Benn’s amendment (i)

Lucy Powell
Seema Malhotra
Robert Halfon

In line 2, at beginning insert “for a period ending on 30 June 2019”.

(above amendment ana amendment to amendment finding out what parliament would go for, will probably pass)

Amendment (e)

Jeremy Corbyn
Keir Starmer
Emily Thornberry
John McDonnell
Valerie Vaz
Mr Nicholas Brown

Leave out paragraphs (2) and (3) and add: “(2) notes that this House has decisively rejected the Withdrawal Agreement and Framework for the Future Relationship laid before the House and the proposition that the UK should leave the European Union without a Withdrawal Agreement and a Framework for the Future Relationship; and (3) therefore instructs the Prime Minister to seek an extension to Article 50 in order to avoid exiting the EU on 29 March without a ratified Withdrawal Agreement and a Framework for the Future Relationship; and to provide parliamentary time for this House to find a majority for a different approach.”.

(Try to find a differend approach, e.g. full permanent customs union)

Amendment (j)

Chris Bryant
Tom Brake
Liz Saville Robert
Dr Philippa Whitfor
Alison McGovern
Stephen Doughty

At end, add “ (4) notes that Erksine May states that a motion or an amendment which is the same, in substance, as a question which has been decided in the affirmative or negative during the current session may not be brought forward again during that session; and therefore orders the Government not to move a further motion asking the House to approve the Withdrawal Agreement and framework for the future partnership that the house declined to approve on 15 January 2019 and 12 March 2019.”.

(try to prevent the only thing which could get us out of the EU from returning)

Now watch all the so-called "Brexiteers", in government, parliament and elsewhere, running around in ever-decreasing circles saying how it's not their fault (it is their fault), they could not have done anything (they very much could have), and generally whining and crying.

Tracey Suntan-King
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:14 - 14 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not the one going off topic here, but i cant let the comments on period poverty go without commenting.

I'm also not suggesting that PP is a major issue on the current political climate.

However in the lives of many women, it is a real issue. No man can imagine the discomfort and rising terror felt by a female who's used her last tampon or pad and knows she doesnt have any more.

Whether at work or at school, she's tried to make each one last as long as possible but she knows that any minute she's going to leak, a creeping stain that everyone will see will soon be colouring her clothes. Having to slink to the bathroom to clean herself up as best she can before stuffing her underwear with toilet paper for the journey home. Great, yes? Doesn't matter eh?

Not being able to afford these necessities because of poverty is dehumanizing and heaps indignities on women. It really pisses me off to hear blokes like you lot deriding a genuine attempt to improve things.

Gits.

Anyway back to Brexit. What a shitstorm. The sooner article 50 is revoked the better. The will of the people? People are idiots........

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:18 - 14 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

With regards lost traditional Labour voters, another thing that's happening around here is lots of new house building. Those buying the houses are not local - many are from close to London. I expect that to water down any Labour votes and add in factors such as old folk dying then it's anyones guess!
I do agree though - Blyth will become a fantastic battle ground of inept door knockers. I really hope they knock on mine..
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:51 - 14 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thing is, if you don't vote Labour or Tory, then who?

Flounce party? They're as bad as the rest!

The problem is, with the first past the post system it'll all be Labour and Conservative still anyway.
UKip is splitting itself apart and unable to get seats.

If there was a common sense party, I'd vote for them Thumbs Up

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:24 - 14 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wollaston amendment.

Request Article 50 extension in order to hold second referendum

Yes 85
No 334

lolz. I bet Val's pissed off.

Johnnythefox
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 18:34 - 14 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

re period poverty, I blame austerity, how anyone can afford drugs, fags AND tampons is beyond me...

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:42 - 14 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're still leave the EU at the end of the month unless the EU Withdrawal Act gets changed.

bhinso wrote:
Thing is, if you don't vote Labour or Tory, then who?

The longer it is until the general election, the more options there could be on the ballot paper.

Brexit Party, the Independent Group who aren't anything yet, crackpots, loons and independent candidates could have a much stronger chance of success than ever before as people turn away from career politicians.

Some of the remainer Labour voters will have grown up and are no longer interested in Corbyn.

Anything could happen and that includes nothing happens. Sad

bhinso wrote:
If there was a common sense party, I'd vote for them Thumbs Up

Would you like a wiper for your visor with that common sense party? Razz

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:06 - 14 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhinso wrote:
Wollaston amendment.

Request Article 50 extension in order to hold second referendum

Yes 85
No 334

lolz. I bet Val's pissed off.

A second referendum is extremely unpopular in Parliament because they know how it's going to end, and it will turn really nasty.

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:09 - 14 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnnythefox wrote:
re period poverty, I blame austerity, how anyone can afford drugs, fags AND tampons is beyond me...

Are you suggesting tampons which double as fags?

A bloody fag buried in a pussy all day Laughing Thinking

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:17 - 14 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:
With regards lost traditional Labour voters, another thing that's happening around here is lots of new house building. Those buying the houses are not local - many are from close to London. I expect that to water down any Labour votes and add in factors such as old folk dying then it's anyones guess!
I do agree though - Blyth will become a fantastic battle ground of inept door knockers. I really hope they knock on mine..

Ronnie Campbell voted down the Benn amendment with Mann, Hoey and Stringer.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 19:31 - 14 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

UK MPs have voted by 412 to 202 for Prime Minister Theresa May to ask the EU for a delay to Brexit.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:54 - 14 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
UK MPs have voted by 412 to 202 for Prime Minister Theresa May to ask the EU for a delay to Brexit.

So let me get this right: all those MPs who have constantly been whining about the uncertainty, and the damage it does to business, have just voted for more uncertainty and damage to business? Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 44 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 329, 330, 331 ... 521, 522, 523  Next
Page 330 of 523