Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Brexit: What do you think will happen?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 494, 495, 496 ... 521, 522, 523  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:16 - 21 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:

Again, makes no difference, we have no control or say over the matter now.

The difference is the middle-classes and wealthier will be looked after.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:21 - 21 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
linuxyeti wrote:

Again, makes no difference, we have no control or say over the matter now.

The difference is the middle-classes and wealthier will be looked after.

And again, makes no difference, we, the population have no control of it, whther it makes the poor poorer, or, richer, makes no odds, you, cannot do anything about it. The government has a large majority, meaning, they're not likely to have to go 'back to the country' with anything, as, they 'have their mandate', best anybody can do is cry, laugh, or just shrug your shoulders and carry on.

Brexit is happening, trade negotiation etc, being held by politicians & their aids/advisors, these negotiations are not open to the general population, hence, we can only sit by on the sidelines. Stop bleating, it's done, it's over..

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:32 - 21 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or vote differently next election.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:42 - 21 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
Or vote differently next election.

Too late by then, we'll have already left .. As far as brexit is concerned, there is nothing, you, I or I suspect anybody on this forum can do to influence the final outcome. Give up, make the most of what you can, find something about bikes to talk about

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:54 - 21 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vote Labour?

If they actually learn what went wrong they might have a chance.

Regurgitating the 'everyone who doesn't agree with us is a racist' or we need more blacks/homosexuals/Asians/women/gays/lesbians/anyone but white males isn't going to endear them to large swathes of the country.

If they get someone as leader who picks the best people for the jobs irrespective of their colour or who they snog then they have a chance.

It isn't going to happen though, they will have fanfares when the next black lesbian gender neutral illiterate idiot becomes a shadow minister.

Look at us, we are cultivating inclusion and harnessing the power of our diversity. You must vote Labour or your a racist, homophobic, gender-phobic white supremacist (or a gammon). Rolling Eyes

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:02 - 21 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Vote Labour?

If they actually learn what went wrong they might have a chance.

Regurgitating the 'everyone who doesn't agree with us is a racist' or we need more blacks/homosexuals/Asians/women/gays/lesbians/anyone but white males isn't going to endear them to large swathes of the country.

If they get someone as leader who picks the best people for the jobs irrespective of their colour or who they snog then they have a chance.

It isn't going to happen though, they will have fanfares when the next black lesbian gender neutral illiterate idiot becomes a shadow minister.

Look at us, we are cultivating inclusion and harnessing the power of our diversity. You must vote Labour or your a racist, homophobic, gender-phobic white supremacist (or a gammon). Rolling Eyes

Again, too late to influence the brexit trade and other negotiations, all the power is with the politicians, and not with the electorate, and by the time the electorate does get to have some sort of say, it'll be over and done with. The government have that much of a majority, and no credible opposition, they can literally act like a dictatorship. Whilst in one sense it's good to have a decisive direction to be going in, unfortunately, the government has got too much of a majority. As I said, suck it up, buy some popcorn, watch it from the sidelines, and, enjoy, where possible, there's bugger all else you can do about it now.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:19 - 21 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
Riejufixing wrote:
Found on the 'net:

13 May 2016: "IMF: Brexit hit to UK could be 'pretty bad to very, very bad' "

https://www.itv.com/news/story/2016-05-13/imf-brexit-hit-to-uk-could-be-pretty-bad-to-very-very-bad/

20 Jan 2020: "IMF predicts stable growth after Britain's exit from EU "

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-01-20/brexit-international-monetary-fund-forecast-imf-britain-growth/

Means nothing, in 4 years time, the state of the global economy will almost certainly have changed again, it's a nothing story.

It's a story that said what the IMF's opinion was in 2016, and what it is now. There is a difference. Yes, of course the global situation may change, but that is a different matter.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:20 - 21 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
Again, too late to influence the brexit trade and other negotiations, all the power is with the politicians, and not with the electorate, and by the time the electorate does get to have some sort of say, it'll be over and done with. The government have that much of a majority, and no credible opposition, they can literally act like a dictatorship. Whilst in one sense it's good to have a decisive direction to be going in, unfortunately, the government has got too much of a majority. As I said, suck it up, buy some popcorn, watch it from the sidelines, and, enjoy, where possible, there's bugger all else you can do about it now.

The electorate has got what it wanted.

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:41 - 21 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:

U ok hun.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:06 - 21 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
The electorate has got what it wanted deserved.

FTFY Smile

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:20 - 21 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not yet it hasn't. Crying or Very sad

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:25 - 21 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Not yet it hasn't. Crying or Very sad

Beer night is next Friday. That will be fun.

kawakid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:24 - 22 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Although would have been twice as much with mpd still here.

Where has my fellow Town fan gone?

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:49 - 22 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps we all celebrated too soon.

The Lords are still trying to stop Brexit.

https://home.bt.com/news/uk-news/mps-to-consider-amendments-to-pms-brexit-deal-after-defeats-in-lords-11364426844770

I especially like the one that doesn't want us to stick two fingers up at the European Courts.

It followed three defeats on Monday on the rights of EU workers legally residing in the UK to have physical proof of their right to remain and the power of courts to depart from European Court of Justice rulings.

Ah well. I'm sure the unelected house will call it their democratic duty (tm Jo Swinson) to protect us from ourselves.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:17 - 22 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes the Lords look at something, decide it's shit, throw it back and then MPs sometimes go "oh yeah! let's try again" that's how it's meant to work Smile

This is not one of those times Very Happy

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:42 - 22 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhinso wrote:
linuxyeti wrote:

U ok hun.

Yes darling, never better, but why people are still posting to this thread is beyond me, anything that gets voted down in the house of lords, is really nothing more than just theatre, the government has too big a majority to pay too much attention to the lords, they will find a way to get through what they want. And looking at labour's leadership campaign, there'll be no effective opposition for years to come, perhaps even as many as 15 !

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:40 - 22 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
... why people are still posting to this thread is beyond me.....

The thread title is "Brexit: What do you think will happen?"
Not, "will it happen at all" or "how can it be stopped".
The consequences are still unknown at this point and there's still lots to speculate on.
The UK vote to leave was a complete shock to the EU, the fact that we're actually going through with it even more so (other countries have had leave votes and not left). Will this be the beginning of the end for the EU project? Presently I think it will continue on, but if another country wants to leave within the next few years? I think the EU will recognise that threat and accelerate integration and remove more powers from nation states effectively locking them in.
I think Brexit has far wider reaching implications than just those for us in the UK.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:50 - 22 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
Yes darling, never better, but why people are still posting to this thread is beyond me

Yet you do it. Why?

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:51 - 22 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

jnw010 wrote:
linuxyeti wrote:
... why people are still posting to this thread is beyond me.....

The thread title is "Brexit: What do you think will happen?"
Not, "will it happen at all" or "how can it be stopped".
The consequences are still unknown at this point and there's still lots to speculate on.
The UK vote to leave was a complete shock to the EU, the fact that we're actually going through with it even more so (other countries have had leave votes and not left). Will this be the beginning of the end for the EU project? Presently I think it will continue on, but if another country wants to leave within the next few years? I think the EU will recognise that threat and accelerate integration and remove more powers from nation states effectively locking them in.
I think Brexit has far wider reaching implications than just those for us in the UK.

Speculate all you like, it will matter not 1 jot, the government is in such a strong position in parliament, it doesn't need to worry about pleasing the electorate, it will do what it wants, whether you, I or the electorate in general like it or not. Best you can do is deal what affects you during and after the process.

The vote being a shock, and, subsequently us leaving, also being a shock, is, to put it bluntly, irrelevant.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:51 - 22 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
linuxyeti wrote:
Yes darling, never better, but why people are still posting to this thread is beyond me

Yet you do it. Why?

Alleviates the boredom for a while

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:52 - 22 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
linuxyeti wrote:

Yet you do it. Why?

Also, the difference is, I'm not pretending I know, or, can affect the outcome of brexit and/or the negotiations revolving around it.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:58 - 22 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm no expert on how the EU keeps it's member states in line but I would have thought to biggest thing is being a member of the Euro.

To opt back out of that and reinstate the Franc, Guilder or whatever will cause a huge mess of a country's economy. That's why I don't see Italy leaving however nationalistic their government gets.

It's also why, if in the future, the remain crew get a majority, we will be forced into the Euro if we rejoin.

The tit suckers won't leave. Ireland, the eastern block, the ex Yugoslavian countries. They know which side their bread is buttered on. The big question is how long Germany, Holland, France, Belgium etc. will carry on forking out shed loads of money to make up for us jumping ship.

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:27 - 22 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
Speculate all you like, it will matter not 1 jot, the government is in such a strong position in parliament, it doesn't need to worry about pleasing the electorate, it will do what it wants, whether you, I or the electorate in general like it or not.

Whose fault is that?

The answer is Labour's. For failing to provide viable opposition.

The worrying thing is that from the ongoing leadership vote, it doesn't appear to have learnt anything. Apparently it is still more important to virtue signal than get the right person in.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:39 - 22 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhinso wrote:
linuxyeti wrote:
Speculate all you like, it will matter not 1 jot, the government is in such a strong position in parliament, it doesn't need to worry about pleasing the electorate, it will do what it wants, whether you, I or the electorate in general like it or not.

Whose fault is that?

The answer is Labour's. For failing to provide viable opposition.

The worrying thing is that from the ongoing leadership vote, it doesn't appear to have learnt anything. Apparently it is still more important to virtue signal than get the right person in.

I agree, and, looking at the leadership contenders, it will be at least 10, or even 15 years before any meaningful opposition exists..
AldridgePrior This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 94 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 494, 495, 496 ... 521, 522, 523  Next
Page 495 of 523