Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Brexit: What do you think will happen?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 512, 513, 514 ... 521, 522, 523  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:45 - 16 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
Quote:
Where's screaming Lord Such and the Monster Raving Loony Party when you need him. Decent loonyism

Sadly the closet thing we have to a loon is the mop-haired gonk currently residing at No.10. I suspect people voted for him because of his unconventionality...

The mop-haired gonk is our own peculiarly British kind of loon Wub

I'll take him over commie pinko scum anytime. Jeez, I'd accept the EU before those bastards.
But I rather suspect people voted for Boris for two reasons: 1. they saw where the left were headed, and it's no accident the left went that way - see Nobby*. And 2. because there was a chance the mop-haired loon would deliver Brexit, the thing the majority of voters had voted for, and many who voted for remaining in the EU have come to accept.

*It's likely Trump will be reelected for the same reason. When chaos and destruction visit your own doorstep as per Portland, Chicago, Seattle etc etc, and your local Democrat authorities fail to do their duty for which they were elected, it's likely to have a big effect on your political leanings.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:19 - 16 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
Quote:
Where's screaming Lord Such and the Monster Raving Loony Party when you need him. Decent loonyism

Sadly the closet thing we have to a loon is the mop-haired gonk currently residing at No.10. I suspect people voted for him because of his unconventionality...

No, they voted for him because the other choices were a damn sight worse. A Commie running an anti British party full of far left nutters or a party where the leader actually said she would ignore a democratic referendum and tear up article 50 because half the population were racists.

There was bugger all choice. Best of a bad bunch is the best description of the choice given us by the political assholes that are around at the moment.

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:51 - 16 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, they voted for him because, let's face it, it was him, Corbyn, or the Libs.

Most of the British electorate (I hope) had the sense to realise that Democracy works on the will of the majority. And because 52 is a bigger number than 48, then that was the majority.

The libs overturning that would make me seriously worry about Democracy. Having another vote and justifying it by a fancy name 'People's vote' sounds like something the Nazi's would do.

Then there's Corbyn, communist, IRA fan club, trying to publicise the fact that he was so woke he shagged Dianne. In fact, just Dianne. Need I say more? Well I shall: I never did figure out what they wanted to do with Brexit in the end. I think they supported it, then went on the fence, then may have gone off it and called their heartland supporters racists or something.

Oh yeah, and there's Fiona. Casting the deciding vote whilst being on a prison tag. Classy Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:51 - 16 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhinso wrote:
the Libs.

Oh yes, I'd forgotten about them. Easy to do Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:54 - 17 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

...Land Rovers.

What the heck happened in this thread? I leave you lot to it for a few days, come back and even with zero input from MPD, Barrkel wrote an essay, Chickenstrip had a meltdown and PB politicised Land Rovers.

Land Rovers, ffs. Leave Land Rovers out of it. /rant.

EDIT: That is Indian Land Rovers you meant, right? Laughing

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:17 - 18 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:
Chickenstrip had a meltdown

How dare you accuse me of such a thing! I didn't have a meltdown, you yankee pretender, you deserter, you bloody rock romper! To even suggest it! If I could get my hands on you...your type deserve to be erased from living memory! Why don't you keep your nose out of the business of the country you have abandoned, you...you...you...aaaaaaarrrrrrrgh! Mad Mad Mad Mad Evil or Very Mad

Shifty

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:33 - 18 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that heavy tan has gone to his head.

I'll never understand these Mexicans.... Laughing

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:44 - 19 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhinso wrote:
I think that heavy tan has gone to his head.

I'll never understand these Mexicans.... Laughing

That'll be a Persian/Romany tan thank you very much.
Sooo many options - do I steal your chickens and/or squat on your land and/or blow your house up and/or chop off your head, filthy infidel? Laughing

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:57 - 20 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

If, as the EU and Remainers say, we will be worse off out of the EU, why does the EU insist on this "level playing field" thing? Clearly some dissonance in thinking there! Laughing

Of course what they mean is, if the EU get their way with these negotiations, we will be worse off.

Starting to see polls that suggest less than a quarter of British people think the EU are being fair and reasonable. Well, we all know you can't trust polls, but that low number suggests it might be indicative of the way people are going.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:41 - 20 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

My problem is I still don't trust our politicians not to cosy up to the EU in the end.

Play hardball in the media for the people but already have an agreement in place that allows both sides to say they 'won' the best deal. Rolling Eyes

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:42 - 20 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
My problem is I still don't trust our politicians not to cosy up to the EU in the end.

Play hardball in the media for the people but already have an agreement in place that allows both sides to say they 'won' the best deal. Rolling Eyes

TBF, it's called democracy. But with more people seemingly thinking the EU is being unreasonable, MPs will eventually have to come to reflect that, or get voted out of their seats - also called democracy. Plus, when EU rules that we sign up for start to hit home...

Which reminds me, I saw a Remainer in the woods the other day:

https://museumofpsychology.files.wordpress.com/2019/03/man-cutting-the-branch-sitting-on-illustration-by-frits-ahlefeldt1500-square.jpg?w=1400

Laughing

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:40 - 20 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
TBF, it's called democracy. But with more people seemingly thinking the EU is being unreasonable, MPs will eventually have to come to reflect that, or get voted out of their seats - also called democracy.

The problem is when you get a situation (like in my constituency) where there were four candidates to vote for and they were all Remainers.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:09 - 20 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhinso wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:
TBF, it's called democracy. But with more people seemingly thinking the EU is being unreasonable, MPs will eventually have to come to reflect that, or get voted out of their seats - also called democracy.

The problem is when you get a situation (like in my constituency) where there were four candidates to vote for and they were all Remainers.

Where on earth do you live?! Move! Laughing

I dunno, tricky one that. Perhaps you'll just have to rely on the rest of the country getting you through.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:10 - 21 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhinso wrote:

It's always going to be "best of a bad job" or as Churchill would say:

Quote:
Many forms of Government have been tried, and will be tried in this world of sin and woe. No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all-wise. Indeed it has been said that democracy is the worst form of Government except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time.…

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:20 - 21 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Where on earth do you live?! Move! Laughing

I dunno, tricky one that. Perhaps you'll just have to rely on the rest of the country getting you through.

I think this is more common than you might think. Bear in mind the Leave/Remain feeling amongst Tory MP's was largely 50:50. The other major parties were predominantly Remain.

Therefore there was certainly a waft of remain floating around, which personally I'd 'give 10 minutes'.

Brexit party? Well they didn't win many seats. 0 is not many.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:41 - 21 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhinso wrote:
Bear in mind the Leave/Remain feeling amongst Tory MP's was largely 50:50.

No, it was not. You can see who votes, and how, at parliament's website.

Here's a graphic:

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:51 - 21 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was May's withdrawal agreement.

Of course the vast majority of the Tories are going to support their PM.

I'm talking about the 2016 In/Out referendum. This was basically a 'free vote' for MP's, and very few (Johnson, Gove) came out in support of leave prior to that referendum.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:37 - 21 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhinso wrote:

I'm talking about the 2016 In/Out referendum. This was basically a 'free vote' for MP's, and very few (Johnson, Gove) came out in support of leave prior to that referendum.

You have to be exact. What is it that you are complaining of? That parliament, or particular parties, voted against having a referendum (which/who)? That the same people voted against sending in A.50TEU notice to the eu (even labour voted 3:1 in favour of that)? If you are talking pre-referendum campaigning - prior to the point at which MPs knew which way their constituents had voted - it was rather worse for "leave"; around 190:140 Con remain/leave, the rest almost all remain.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:27 - 22 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
bhinso wrote:

You have to be exact. What is it that you are complaining of? That parliament, or particular parties, voted against having a referendum (which/who)? That the same people voted against sending in A.50TEU notice to the eu (even labour voted 3:1 in favour of that)? If you are talking pre-referendum campaigning - prior to the point at which MPs knew which way their constituents had voted - it was rather worse for "leave"; around 190:140 Con remain/leave, the rest almost all remain.

tl;dr The change direction like grass in the wind Wink

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:32 - 25 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I was talking about pre-referendum campaigning (the 190:140 Con remain/leave you mention).
My MP was has always been very much against leaving without a deal, which I think is fine in private, but in public plays into the EU's hands.

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:55 - 28 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's happened to the hard Remainers on this forum?

I mean the likes of Sir Percy, Val, Roman Numeral, etc. have been pretty quiet lately.

I enjoy a good debate but it seemed the Remain arguments were getting more and more desperate, e.g. Yeah but if we leave you will have to register your Pooch to travel abroad...

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:59 - 28 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't be a Remain-er now that we've left. You could be a Rejoiner I suppose, but not much chance of that happening in the near future.

Also, I think the problems we're going to be experiencing from the post-Covid economic meltdown are going to make a few leaving-the-EU hitches look like chickenfeed.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:09 - 28 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

London has almost caught up with New York as the world's number 1 financial centre, survey finds.

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:25 - 28 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Khan must be doing something right then.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:25 - 28 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Switzerland referendum: Voters reject end to free movement with EU.
62:38. Fear of the economic impact? You can't have free trade without accepting all the EU's other rules. Well played, the EU. Confused

Also interesting that the Swiss are still conducting referenda (they voted on paternal leave, defence procurement and hunting laws at the same time) when Remainers had said the Swiss had learned that referenda were bad.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 203 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 512, 513, 514 ... 521, 522, 523  Next
Page 513 of 523