Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Brexit: What do you think will happen?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 520, 521, 522, 523  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:38 - 22 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Japanese car maker Nissan has told the BBC its Sunderland plant is secure for the long term as a result of the trade deal reached between the UK and the EU.
It said it will move additional battery production close to the plant where it has 6,000 direct employees and supports nearly 70,000 jobs in the supply chain.
Currently, the batteries in its Leaf electric cars are imported from Japan.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:56 - 22 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Separately, on the same note:

"Nissan UK ‘better off under Brexit’ – Nissan has said Brexit will give it an edge as it can buy batteries for its electric cars from within the UK to avoid tariffs. Its factory in Sunderland will also push ahead with a new version of its Qashqai SUV this year. Ashwani Gupta, Nissan’s chief operating officer, said: “Brexit gives us the competitive advantage,” explaining it was not reliant on batteries imported from east Asia unlike many of its rivals, who from 2027 will face tariffs if they continue to do so. The Brexit deal keeps most car exports between the UK and EU free of tariffs provided they contain enough parts from either side of the Channel. Nissan was previously one of the loudest car industry voices warning against Brexit."

.... From "The Grauniad".

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:11 - 23 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The picture being painted on this side of the pond does not appear to be so rosy, slow strangulation would sum up this article. Just a glitch in the notoriously fast moving wheels of government or something else?

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/23/business/brexit-business-intl-gbr/index.html

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:32 - 23 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

CNN Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:40 - 23 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:
The picture being painted on this side of the pond does not appear to be so rosy, slow strangulation would sum up this article. Just a glitch in the notoriously fast moving wheels of government or something else?

Yes, new paperwork/procedures is a problem, both sides of the English Channel. We're having trouble sending our stuff to those that need it there, and vice-versa. There is pressure on both sides to get these things fixed.

I wonder what is happening about things going to/coming from the whole of the rest of the non-eu world.

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:21 - 23 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
mentalboy wrote:

Yes, new paperwork/procedures is a problem, both sides of the English Channel. We're having trouble sending our stuff to those that need it there, and vice-versa. There is pressure on both sides to get these things fixed.

I wonder what is happening about things going to/coming from the whole of the rest of the non-eu world.

Our nuclear waste seems to be getting through just fine...
https://www.lexology.com/library/detail.aspx?g=8168a4b6-7dee-4010-aa6d-243912c16777

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:59 - 23 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:
https://www.lexology.com/library/detail.aspx?g=8168a4b6-7dee-4010-aa6d-243912c16777

That's a UK-US thing, not eu, isn't it?

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:41 - 23 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
mentalboy wrote:

That's a UK-US thing, not eu, isn't it?

Well, it was you who wondered how non eu-stuff was doing.

I know the UK-US were in the middle of hammering out a trade deal in the last days of the previous administration, changeabout on this side of the pond has probably stretched any completion time and likely some of the priorities.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:57 - 23 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reckon that once the French get back to restraunts and find their supply of live langoustine, squat lobster and lobster has dried up, the red tape will suddenly start disappearing.

The French DO like their langoustine. I can imagine it being a firm favourite in the canteen at Strasbourg.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:35 - 23 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:

A number of issues, including a long running problem with a vehicle booking system at Felixstowe, the UK’s largest container port. It seems the government needs to intervene and give the port authority or hauliers (or both) a kick up the arse.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55740063

https://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/news/business/government-aware-of-port-of-felixstowe-vbs-issues-6526196

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:35 - 23 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:
Well, it was you who wondered how non eu-stuff was doing.

Oops, sorrt, misread/misconstrued your admirable psot.

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:04 - 23 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

A number of issues, including a long running problem with a vehicle booking system at Felixstowe, the UK’s largest container port. It seems the government needs to intervene and give the port authority or hauliers (or both) a kick up the arse.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55740063

https://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/news/business/government-aware-of-port-of-felixstowe-vbs-issues-6526196

I read that Beeb article earlier today and came away with the impression that little missy with the lighting firm was more than happy to exploit cheap foreign labour and would now be better served using home grown manufacturers for her abysmal looking creations.
The opportunity to grab a quick buck at someone else's expense rather than make an honest day's living is firmly at the root of Western economies main weaknesses.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:30 - 23 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brexit, Covid and the ports fiasco, they all feed into each other. The cargo issue is a world-wide phenomenon. The BBC article states the non-bunged up Euro ports are still pretty steep in cost ($8,450 vs $12,050) so one might assume UK prices would be similar to say Netherlands if/when Felixstowe sorts itself out.

Maybe the Chinese should be paying more to get the empty containers back if they're so eager to sell their wares? What is written in news articles is rarely as interesting as what's not written Wink

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:42 - 26 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

More of the "whoa is me! if only ppl knew that a Paris handbag (made with child labour in Indonesia) would have duty to pay they would never have voted for Brexit!"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55752541

The article implies the chattering classes are so blinkered in their outlook they forget there's a world outside of Europe.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:40 - 26 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting that reporters commentators have had to fall back on stories of private individual purchasing “woes” in the absence of the predicted Kent-wide lorry park.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:42 - 26 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

My uplands aren't sunlit yet! It was all a con! Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:58 - 27 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://order-order.com/2021/01/27/eu-astrazeneca-row-gets-heated/
Could have gone into the Coronavirus thread but... nah!

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:02 - 28 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

Surely the only way they could stop exports from a private company was by applying some kind of export restriction, like tarriffs?

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:56 - 28 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The EU is trying to divert blame. Aside from applying pressure I don’t think they can stop AZ fulfilling their commitments to the customer which made the first financial and regulatory commitment. Early supplies may have come from European sites while the UK ramped up its capability but I think we’re at least self-sufficient now.

Weren’t we supposed to be at the back of the queue after Brexit?

Interestingly I heard that one of the manufacturing problems was in obtaining sufficient quantities of glass vials, which at first sight seems like a mundane aspect.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:49 - 28 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way things are going, it's looking more and more like the EU are concerned about being at the back of the UK's queue Laughing

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:23 - 28 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
The way things are going, it's looking more and more like the EU are concerned about being at the back of the UK's queue Laughing

But surely the lovely EU will be sharing it's covid vaccines with all the poor countries of the world while the racist, xenophobic, colonial slave power called Great Britain is being selfish and keeping it all for themselves. Clapping

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:58 - 28 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:
Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

Surely the only way they could stop exports from a private company was by applying some kind of export restriction, like tarriffs?

Further reading on the subject reveals that a large amount of AZ's Covid vaccine production is happening in two plants in the UK, which begs the question what will the EU do if AZ doesn't comply - they're hardly likely to say 'fuck it, we're going elsewhere'. Laughing

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:22 - 28 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

They’re threatening to sue AZ (in EU courts, presumably) for breach of contract. AZ say the contract was not an ordinary-times business contract but a commitment to supply all they could, and they’re about to publish the contract to prove it.

I can’t imagine the UK government allowing the export of vaccine until we’re all good.

Now the Germans are saying they won’t dose the over-65s with the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine because the trials didn’t include enough old folks to prove efficacy. We might ask whether there’s any evidence to suggest it won’t work for the elderly. And how many BAMEs, Eastern Europeans...? It sounds more like sour grapes and passing the buck. Thank goodness we’re out.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 21:38 - 28 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The degree of commitment and funding the UK government gave to AZ, including research funding, advance orders even before efficacy was confirmed and market protections will almost certainly ensure the Uk will be dealt with fairly.

I even believe it was part of the contract that the vaccine should be made available at a cost only basis for deprived countries.

In fairness, this seens like one place UK gov are coming out smelling of roses.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:50 - 29 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Extraordinary!

EU invokes article 16 of the NI protocol to impose hard border.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 80 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 520, 521, 522, 523  Next
Page 521 of 523