Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Brexit: What do you think will happen?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 521, 522, 523  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:08 - 29 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

Wow. Presuming this is true, what will the yanks do. They were most vociferous about us invoking it with threats about trade.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 00:40 - 30 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a bold move given that most of the vaccine manufacturers involved also have production facilities located outside the EU...

EDIT:

Do we now threaten the EU with prosecution for breaking international law by breaching the Good Friday agreement? Laughing

Last edited by stinkwheel on 00:50 - 30 Jan 2021; edited 1 time in total

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:48 - 30 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

...aaand, they’ve had to change their minds about article 16. What a shower!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 00:55 - 30 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

No good picking your cards back up off the table once everyone knows what hand you're playing.

EDIT: And if you break international law, then change your mind, did it still happen?

If I steal a car but bring it back again, do I still go to jail?

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:21 - 30 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
No good picking your cards back up off the table once everyone knows what hand you're playing.

EDIT: And if you break international law, then change your mind, did it still happen?

If I steal a car but bring it back again, do I still go to jail?

If it's my vehicle, getting to jail unharmed is the best outcome for you! Laughing

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:46 - 30 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The interesting thing is they never even told ireland they were going to mess around with the border. If there was ever an indication of how the EU isn't answerable to anyone this is it.

As Stinkwheel says, the fact they have redacted it doesn't matter in th context they were quite willing to do it in the first place.

Spain have said 'It was an accident' Laughing

To add to the confusion, Spanish foreign minister Arancha Gonzalez-Laya said the triggering of Article 16 was done by ‘accident’. She told BBC Newsnight: ‘I understand, and this is what I hear from the European Commission, that there was an accident. ‘The accident or the mishap has been repaired and I think that is important.’

https://metro.co.uk/2021/01/29/eu-to-lift-block-on-vaccines-going-to-northern-ireland-hours-after-imposing-it-13990395/

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:11 - 30 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
The interesting thing is they never even told ireland they were going to mess around with the border. If there was ever an indication of how the EU isn't answerable to anyone this is it.

Yes, scary huh, European commission acting unilaterally to interfere with a fundamental aspect of one of their member states borders without even consulting their government.

The shitstorm this creates will take a long time to settle, look at how long it took the NI assembly to pull themselves together after the ash for cash thing, which was straightforward political ineptitude.

Although in fairness, they have probably just wound up both sides of the Irish border by an equal amount so they hopefully wont go around blowing one another up and save the kneecappings for EU officials...

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:15 - 30 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

Yes, scary huh, European commission acting unilaterally to interfere with a fundamental aspect of one of their member states borders without even consulting their government.

After the Diplomat debacle a couple of weeks ago with the EU still giving it the 'we're not a federal state' line, they're doing a decent job of exposing themselves for what they are.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:20 - 30 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote=“Metro”]Irish premier Micheal Martin was straight on the phone to European Commission President Ursula Von Der Leyen to express his opposition.[/quote]

Interesting that the Commission has one member from each “member state” so there would have been an Irish representative, yet he (Phil Hogan) must have felt entitled to act as the sole arbiter without consulting even the elected leader of the nation. I doubt many people in Ireland will know much about Hogan. Who was the last UK commissioner? Sir Julian Beresford King. Yeah, me neither, yet it appears he would have had great power.

Proposals to “streamline” decision-making from the likes of Guy Verhofstadt would reduce that 27-member politburo to a mere handful, supposedly being rotated around the bloc to give a veneer of democracy. It’s not hard to see it would inevitably become dominated by France and Germany. I mean, if it was happening now you can’t imagine Hungary or Poland (current EU bad boys) turn being allowed.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:54 - 30 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Democracy... we've heard of it.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:41 - 30 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Von Der Leyen is a secret Brexiteer - she's working for us! Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:52 - 30 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

V.D. thinks she's lovely, and thinks that's enough.

Wrong on both counts.

Spooky old bat.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:14 - 31 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

V.D. thinks she's lovely, and thinks that's enough.

Wrong on both counts.

Spooky old bat.

Is she in the 'Ones you really really shouldn't' thread. Whistle

I would

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 21:04 - 01 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

So.

von der Leyen's chief spokesmans response to the whole Irish border debacle was to state... And I shit you not!

"Only the Pope is infallible, you know?"

Well, I'm sure that will calm things right down.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:53 - 01 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want the Gold Standard of hopeless press secretaries, you have to check out the empty, rambling, off-topic and flustered replies of Jen Psaki, the US government's new offering. Come back Kayleigh!
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 23:33 - 01 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

She's definately ineffable....

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:18 - 02 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
If you want the Gold Standard of hopeless press secretaries, you have to check out the empty, rambling, off-topic and flustered replies of Jen Psaki, the US government's new offering. Come back Kayleigh!

Strange, I just watched a couple of videos and she seemed to be doing a good job. Got any examples?

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:19 - 02 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
So.

von der Leyen's chief spokesmans response to the whole Irish border debacle was to state... And I shit you not!

"Only the Pope is infallible, you know?"

Well, I'm sure that will calm things right down.

Be thankful they’re not commanding an EU Army... yet.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:21 - 02 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

Strange, I just watched a couple of videos and she seemed to be doing a good job. Got any examples?

If you think that, then sorry, I can't help you.

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:28 - 02 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

So you prefer Kayleigh McEnany lying through her teeth, no doubt trying to keep all parties happy while bullshitting both sides as opposed to Psaki telling the truth and announcing to the world that the US is in no particular hurry to agree a trade deal? Funnily enough, if McEnany and the rest of the lying shysters over the last four years had actually pulled their fingers out and worked for the good of the US then the new administration might have had time to deal with the UK, as it is, we've now got larger fish to fry. Just because the UK is up shit creek without a deal doesn't mean that it's suddenly top priority for the US.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:14 - 02 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:
we've now got larger fish to fry.

Yup. Like your constitution. Fry it to a cinder Laughing
And speaking of rules and principles that are supposed to be inviolable, what did that staunch Irishman Biden have to say about the EU trying to put a hard border between Eire and N.I., against the established protocol? I missed that.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:53 - 02 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:
Just because the UK is up shit creek without a deal doesn't mean that it's suddenly top priority for the US.

Let's face it, unless there's a war coming up the UK has never been much of a priority to the US Sad

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:19 - 02 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2lZWxtbjl0

kawakid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:27 - 02 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Just because the UK is up shit creek without a deal doesn't mean that it's suddenly top priority for the US.

I've never understood this US trade deal thing, I genuinely couldn't care less if we had a free trade deal or not.

I just don't see how it's going to benefit us or them.

I for one, won't be eating any food products from the states. I don't know what else is made in the states.

Saying that I think Tyvek comes from there, I might have saved a few quid on that, I suppose.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:44 - 02 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

kawakid wrote:

I for one, won't be eating any food products from the states. I don't know what else is made in the states.

I think the biggest export from the US has always been culture, but they're busy destroying that now. Everything else has now been copied to death elsewhere, so I don't think we'll lose much in that sense. I have an American-made guitar...I think that's it. I don't think any food or clothes or other essentials I buy come from the US, not that I can think of. Oh, tech stuff, but I'm not big on tech anyway, and the US tech companies I think will find themselves also being made redundant by others doing similar, and not having to swallow the daft politics the US companies have adopted. We're connecting up to many other markets now, so we'll always find some alternative.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 77 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 521, 522, 523  Next
Page 522 of 523