Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Brexit: What do you think will happen?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 173, 174, 175 ... 521, 522, 523  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:08 - 13 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not suggesting for one second that we won't adapt and that expensive goods will still be transported. Its the day to day goods that we currently take for granted (like bread) that will have to be made and sold locally.

mpd - I chose 30 to 80 dollars because these were the two ends of your graph and therefore most representative of the change in oil price over time.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:36 - 13 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 CPT wrote:

Who were the pro EU lot on here a couple of years ago, chastising me for daring to suggest the EU is pushing for it's own army?

Wait until the draft. Laughing Even if we were staying in, I'm too old to get called up.

But all you lovely youngsters best keep one eye on the letterbox for your (inter)national service papers. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Treason May may still hand you over to them as well, as a further token of appeasement.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:56 - 13 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdp that's a relief then...

Rather than grumbling about this GB Islamic State, shouldn't you be doing something to prevent it? You don't talk about your proactive work on here...

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:56 - 13 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
mdp that's a relief then...

Rather than grumbling about this GB Islamic State, shouldn't you be doing something to prevent it? You don't talk about your proactive work on here...

He's another one who fights 'the' cause from his mum and dads spare bedroom.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:17 - 13 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdlxxvi wrote:
Merry Brexit and happy No Deal! In this festive period the gifts just keep coming.

Steris CEO wrote:

Simply put, significant benefits are at risk if we remain domiciled in the country that is no longer a member of the EU.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-11-06/brexit-prompts-steris-to-shift-corporate-hq-to-ireland-from-u-k

So that's like 2.5 billion turnaround gone. But that's a good thing, right? RIGHT?

Steris UK looks like 1200 staff, 23 offices and 100 locations providing healthcare sterilisation services, the kind of task which was best done by the customer until "out-sourcing" became popular with managers. So they're moving their taxable node to Ireland which has been flouting EU tax rules for some time. In fact it's been said that the EU has encouraged Eire to resist Brexit in return for a blind eye to its rule-breaking and its opposition to an EU-wide digital tax.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:41 - 13 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

An interesting counter to the argument that the EU has delivered peace to the continent.
Quote:
Although (WW1) ended a century ago, it still offers three crucial lessons that are relevant to our increasingly disordered world today. First, peace is always more fragile than it seems. In 1914, Europe had not experienced an all-out, continental conflict since the end of the Napoleonic wars a century earlier. Some observers believed that a return to such catastrophic bloodletting had become almost impossible. The British author Norman Angell would immortalize himself by suggesting, just a few years before World War I, that what we would now call globalization had rendered great-power conflict obsolete. War, he argued, had become futile because peace and the growing economic and financial linkages between the major European states were producing so much prosperity.

Angell had good company in the multitude of thinkers who believed that improved communications were knitting humanity ever more tightly together, that international arbitration was making war unnecessary, and that nationalism was being suppressed by newer, more enlightened ideologies and improved forms of international cooperation.

The eruption of World War I showed that these trends were no guarantee of peace at all, because they were so easily overtaken by the darker forces of conflict and rivalry. Destabilizing shifts in the balance of power, the geopolitical rigidities created by hair-trigger military plans, the rise of social Darwinist and militarist ideas that exalted the role of war in human and national development, and the tensions surrounding a rising Germany’s bid for European preeminence and world power had created a great mass of combustible material that was set alight by the seemingly minor spark provided by an archduke’s assassination.

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2018-11-11/100-years-after-world-war-i-there-s-reason-to-fear

An increase in EU militarisation recently proposed by the French and Germans won't help; quite the opposite.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:28 - 13 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it was Itchy (apologies if I'm mis-quoting) quite some time ago who said if you want to suppress an uprising in a corner of an empire you don't send in the local soldiers who might sympathise with their compatriots, you send in a brigade from the opposite border who don't give a damn and might even harbour some hatred.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:30 - 13 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 CPT wrote:
My view is they’re going to try to hold the EU together by force or threat of going against it.

I’m serious here. The timing is no coincidence.

You are Nigel Farage and I claim my €5.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:59 - 13 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:

Going to church on Sundays at least might help.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:05 - 13 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, we'll find out pretty soon what's in the draft withdrawal agreement. How exciting!

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:14 - 13 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed we will. Apparently the Irish don't like it without even having read the document, so unless TM can find a few more billion it looks like it is a dead duck even before TP puts it to Cabinet.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:23 - 13 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
unless TM can find a few more billion it looks like it is a dead duck even before TP puts it to Cabinet.

Let's hope she can't. Nothing but a complete capitulation from what I've heard so far. I don't think this deal stands a cat in hell's chance Praying
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:38 - 13 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
Indeed we will. Apparently the Irish don't like it without even having read the document, so unless TM can find a few more billion it looks like it is a dead duck even before TP puts it to Cabinet.

Doesn't that also assume her party will back it?

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:53 - 13 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Doesn't that also assume her party will back it?

Assumptions and speculation is all there is so far. We'll have to wait and see. There'll be more information in a few days, probably.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:26 - 14 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 CPT wrote:
My view is they’re going to try to hold the EU together by force or threat of going against it.

I’m serious here. The timing is no coincidence.

I'm glad you've had to resort to rating my post as boring, because it shows I'm right in what I say.

How many protests did you get involved in exactly? What do you do beyond moan on here about it?

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 00:43 - 14 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Make France great again!' Trump mocks Macron over world wars as Merkel calls for 'real true European army'

Donald Trump has hit out at Emmanuel Macron with a volley of tweets saying the French were "starting to learn German in Paris" before US intervention in the world wars, rounding off the attack off with a mocking plea to "MAKE FRANCE GREAT AGAIN!"

Mr Trump began with an extraordinary attack on Emmanuel Macron’s call for a “European army” by likening a French defence rapprochement with Germany to the Nazi occupation of France.

Minutes after his online outburst, German Chancellor Angela Merkel gave her unprecedented backing to Mr Macron's defence plans, saying she too wanted a "real true European army", which would complement, but not rival, the Northern Atlantic Alliance, Nato.

In a burst of tweets, Mr Trump also defended his lack of attendance at a World War One memorial event at a cemetery in France at the weekend - he was widely criticised after pulling out due to rain - and threatened wine tariffs in a fully-fledged Twitter rant.

“Emmanuel Macron suggests building its own army to protect Europe against the U.S., China and Russia,” tweeted Mr Trump, just back from the Paris commemorations.

“But it was Germany in World Wars One & Two - How did that work out for France? They were starting to learn German in Paris before the U.S. came along. Pay for NATO or not!”

Mr Trump has frequently criticised the level of members’ contributions to Nato, saying these had always been "ridiculously unfair" to the US.

His remarks drew scorn from Guy Verhofstadt, a Macron ally and the EU Parliament's Brexit Coordinator, who tweeted: "What Trump doesn’t seem to realize is that without French money, the USA would not even exist as France financed the American revolution. They even gave you the Statue of Liberty to celebrate this!”

The comments came just two days after Mr Macron and Mrs Merkel held hands and kissed after commemorating the World War One Armistice signed on November 11, 1918.

Mr Trump also threatened wine tariffs against France in the rant on the social network.

"On Trade, France makes excellent wine, but so does the U.S. The problem is that France makes it very hard for the U.S. to sell its wines into France, and charges big Tariffs, whereas the U.S. makes it easy for French wines, and charges very small Tariffs. Not fair, must change!" he wrote.

Mr Trump's ire stems from a call by Mr Macron last week for a "true European army”.

"We have to protect ourselves with respect to China, Russia and even the United States of America,” he added, citing the recent decision of Mr Trump to withdraw from a Cold War-era nuclear treaty.

Mr Trump called the comments “very insulting”.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/11/13/trump-says-french-learning-german-paris-us-intervened-world/

Wub

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:00 - 14 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brexit deal is literally in motion people...and it's nsfw Laughing

Quote:
"I think the choice is between being buggered ragged by a hard Brexit and allowing a little vassalage to ease our passage."

Quote:
"Couldn't put it butter myself."

😂😂😂

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/nov/13/pm-finally-unites-party-with-brexit-deal-that-no-one-likes#comment-122486993

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:04 - 14 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
'Make France great again!' Trump mocks Macron over world wars as Merkel calls for 'real true European army'

Guy Verhofstadt owns Trump:

Quote:
What Trump doesn’t seem to realize is that without French money, the USA would not even exist as France financed the American revolution. They even gave you the Statue of Liberty to celebrate this!

cdlxxvi
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 09:03 - 14 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The people are grateful to Jacob and Boris for the new businesses boosting their economy.

That is, the people of France.

Chubb wrote:
Chubb European Group SE (CEG) and ACE Europe Life SE (AEL) are currently authorised in the UK. As the UK is part of the EU single market this allows these entities to operate in all EEA countries. This is likely to change as a result of Brexit.
Until 31 December 2018, Chubb European Group SE and ACE Europe Life SE will still be domiciled and have their registered office at the same address in England and will remain authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority.
Chubb has also received authorisation from the French regulator ACPR so Chubb European Group SE and ACE Europe Life SE can redomicile to France on 1 January 2019. This is subject to Chubb fulfilling certain administrative requirements by the end of 2018.
From 1 January, 2019, the new registered address for Chubb European Group SE and ACE Europe Life SE will be La Tour Carpe Diem, 31 Place des Corolles, Esplanade Nord, 92400 Courbevoie, France.
From 1 January, 2019, Chubb European Group SE and ACE Europe Life SE will be supervised by the ACPR, 4 Place de Budapest, CS 92459, 75436 PARIS CEDEX 09 and operate in the UK – initially at least – as an EEA branch.

That's a $60 billion company going bye, bye. Clapping

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:22 - 14 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Call me simple, but does that mean we will lose all the Corporation Tax?

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:15 - 14 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The REAL threat Brexit reveals is that no 'reasonable' people know for sure what will be the result of leaving the EU.

The politicians on every side (folk who it is there job to know) are flapping around postulating outcome/s.

It is not a 'We are leaving the EU and that is that'.

The complexity is the devil in this whole debacle.

Either way, the main issue is the money.

It is going to cost the UK as much as war would cost. (And that scenario is possibly not off the table either. Wars start for any slight as history illustrates.)

Anyone who says it's easy to leave and in our own good is Barking. Absolutely Barking.

If it was all so simple then can they also please explain the confusion among our leaders, industry and proletariat?

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:18 - 14 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
Call me simple, but does that mean we will lose all the Corporation Tax?

Well to answer that simple question in the style of Brexit.

Yes and No.

Maybe Aye or Maybe Naw.

Well we've not reached a decision on it yet but ministers are working on it.

Etc. etc. & etc.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 158 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 173, 174, 175 ... 521, 522, 523  Next
Page 174 of 523