Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Brexit: What do you think will happen?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 218, 219, 220 ... 521, 522, 523  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:23 - 12 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sload wrote:
It might be better just looking into the actual reality of a no deal, those seem to be the only two outcomes likely to occur, and what the loud leavers here want anyway.

Even "no deal" is a misnomer in the way it is being bandied about. Nobody wants us to not have a trade deal of some description with the EU. But that is a separate issue to wanting out of the EU. First, out. Then, trade deal. It has been clearly demonstrated by the EU that it isn't possible to negotiate a trade deal while we are still in the EU, unless we wish to be dictated to on other matters too. In fact, they're likely to try that on even once we've left, in which case, then it might be a question of no deal, or likely a less ambitious deal.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

cdlxxvi
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 15:25 - 12 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sload wrote:
cdlxxvi wrote:
Sir, no one ever claimed that "any deal" was impossible.

I think that is a waste of time now tbh. To actually posit we could achieve a better deal then our present status-quo is comical. It might be better just looking into the actual reality of a no deal, those seem to be the only two outcomes likely to occur, and what the loud leavers here want anyway.

As a staunch remainer I will say it: a "no deal" endgame is theoretically workable.

However, it takes time (much more than 2 years; IMO 2 decades minimum), vision, commitment and resources. It would be a long distance, strategic rearrangement of the entire country, starting with getting infrastructure and processes in place to deal with gradual untangling of EU ties.

IMO it's very unlikely that our leaders and society are cut for this; these days it's all about flag-waving, sabre-rattling, instant gratification, with success measured not in statistics, but in troll farm retweets. Therefore it remains only a theoretical possibility.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:26 - 12 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdlxxvi wrote:

As a staunch remainer I will say it: a "no deal" endgame is theoretically workable.

However, it takes time (much more than 2 years; IMO 2 decades minimum), vision, commitment and resources. It would be a long distance, strategic rearrangement of the entire country, starting with getting infrastructure and processes in place to deal with gradual untangling of EU ties.

IMO it's very unlikely that our leaders and society are cut for this; these days it's all about flag-waving, sabre-rattling, instant gratification, with success measured not in statistics, but in troll farm retweets. Therefore it remains only a theoretical possibility.

Yes, I actually agree with that Shocked
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sload
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:36 - 12 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdlxxvi wrote:

Of course, anything is workable, the level of pain or pleasure is the question. I'm reading and listening and the jist seems to be (opinion), the minute we leave with no deal, we will be the only country with no agreed access to any other market (trade deals) and all the negative connotation that brings.

The time it takes to create said deals to access other markets will be years and many people are going to get royally fucked over by this.

Our WTO assertions are laughable with many circling the shark tank ready to take their share of blood.

It's almost as if Nations are predatory and want their pound of flesh and our aspirations of importance are out of sync with reality.

Still, if you have capital available, it might be worth looking into what the pro no deal brexit establishment proponents are doing with their money, could make absolute bank and get clear if it all goes pear shaped.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:45 - 12 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sload wrote:

The time it takes to create said deals to access other markets will be years and many people are going to get royally fucked over by this.

Our WTO assertions are laughable with many circling the shark tank ready to take their share of blood.

It's almost as if Nations are predatory and want their pound of flesh and our aspirations of importance are out of sync with reality.

This is what people mean by project fear. It is not necessarily an organised conspiracy to scare people over Brexit, but often just individuals using such rhetoric as you have used here. Trouble is, it backfires on those who use it, because they have not actually said anything of substance, not to mention its likeness to sensationalist tabloid newspaper headlines, and so gets dismissed as project fear. Calm down chap Smile Now, tell us more about these sharks, who these predatory nations are, what exactly they intend to do to us, and how you know all this.

Sload
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:51 - 12 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
This is what people mean by project fear. It is not necessarily an organised conspiracy to scare people over Brexit, but often just individuals using such rhetoric as you have used here.

If me sharing an opinion on possible outcomes based on the information I'm looking into is scary to you then, well ??????

I mean I'm not trying to frighten you?
Maybe, don't be a snow...... oh wait lol (I'm jesting you).

As to sharing actual stuff, maybe, at some point. I'm still navigating and I unlike some others can admit I'm a bit dim and might be wrong.

If any of you pro no deal leavers can provide actual evidence of a rosy outcome then present, i'll give it a fair hearing.

Or don't, I'm easy either way.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:12 - 12 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sload wrote:

If me sharing an opinion on possible outcomes based on the information I'm looking into is scary to you then, well ??????

I mean I'm not trying to frighten you?
Maybe, don't be a snow...... oh wait lol (I'm jesting you).

As to sharing actual stuff, maybe, at some point. I'm still navigating and I unlike some others can admit I'm a bit dim and might be wrong.

If any of you pro no deal leavers can provide actual evidence of a rosy outcome then present, i'll give it a fair hearing.

Or don't, I'm easy either way.

So what did your post mean?

I simply asked,

chickenstrip wrote:
Now, tell us more about these sharks, who these predatory nations are, what exactly they intend to do to us, and how you know all this.

Do you not have answers? Then why did you write what you wrote? If it is your opinion, you must still have based it on something?

I cannot provide evidence of a rosy outcome. Can you provide evidence for what remaining in the EU will look like? I did ask what the future of the EU is earlier. Only one person, and he not a Remainer, cared to have a shot at that one. For one thing, how does one provide evidence for future events, yet to happen?
I do not pretend leaving the EU will be easy. I still want out though.

Sload
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:22 - 12 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
So what did your post mean?

Simply this
Sload wrote:
Of course, anything is workable, the level of pain or pleasure is the question. I'm reading and listening and the jist seems to be (opinion), - yadda yadda yadda

I may share information if I make an actual claim, which I'm not (unless you dispute anything is workable as that was a claim).

If it was an actual honest thread I might spitball and be more open with sources, too many dishonest players waiting to jump on and misrepresent though Razz
chickenstrip wrote:
Do you not have answers?

Nope

Just a random side point:
chickenstrip wrote:
how does one provide evidence for future events, yet to happen?

If I point a loaded gun at your head and pulled the trigger, would the likely outcome be your death?

Bit simple I agree, so how about educated experts making their predictions based on information and facts as close as they can manage and modify and adjust as time and new information is learned? Do you think that is a reasonable method?

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:35 - 12 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdlxxvi wrote:
Sir, no one ever claimed that "any deal" was impossible.

Goldfish memory. We've had they'll never reach a deal this whole time, even when there was 80% of one it was still being reported as 'nothing has been agreed'. No deal was meant to be the outcome of these negotiations, which's exactly what remainers wanted.

Instead May swooped in, and thought she could appease all sides with a remainer Brexit deal... she's obviously miscalculated that one.

mpd72 CPT wrote:
Have you? News to me. I've told you loads of times - Try listening.

As a one man band middle earner, I'm around a third worse off under Cameron/May than I was under Blair in tax take, but around a third better off under the Tories now than I was under Blair in tax allowance.

Blair/Brown took from everyone and gave nothing back, Cameron/May take more but allow more back.

Under the Tories I pay around £1500 a year more tax on less earnings than under Blair/Brown, but can take home around £3000 a year more tax free.

If this £3K was taxed at even 26.5%, by the time I pay CT and dividend tax, I'm around £700 a year worse off under the current government for earning less.

The poorest workers are certainly much better off now than under Labour.

No you haven't Eh?, you said (previously) how the Tories were now shafting you, after advocating that they were the party for working people, and better off doesn't just mean money in your pocket, it's what that money gets you.

That's the reason I'm interested in the New Labour era vs The Tory eras either side, particularly as you seem to advocate Labour as being the party for scroungers, like Rogerborg used to but he was a top-rate tax payer Smile

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:59 - 12 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is indeed the case that Sload wrote:
yadda yadda yadda

Sload wrote:

Just a random side point:
chickenstrip wrote:

If I point a loaded gun at your head and pulled the trigger, would the likely outcome be your death?

Where is your loaded gun? I don't believe you have one. But if you did, what if you forgot to release the safety? What if I'm wearing a bullet-proof helmet? What if I'm behind bullet-proof glass? What if your loaded gun is poorly maintained and misfires, taking your hand off? What if your ammunition is faulty?

What if your ammunition is faulty? Wink

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:15 - 12 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 CPT wrote:
I'm around £700 a year worse off under the current government for earning less.

The poorest workers are certainly much better off now than under Labour.

That's the bit I didn't understand, but as I said it's also about what your money buys you. Most of the middle-earners (as you put it) I know seem to think they're worse off, because other costs have gone up dramatically, whilst wages have somewhat stagnated.

Sload
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:26 - 12 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
yadda yadda

none of those variables were included in the question.

That's another dodge matey Wink

I think you got my meaning, I'm happy with that.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:55 - 12 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sload wrote:

none of those variables were included in the question.

I thought it was an analogy. I suggested to you that you don't have any further information and therefore don't actually know what would happen. Or indeed, had nothing of substance in the first place.

Quote:

No, I'm still waiting for you to make it clear. Who are your predatory sharks? What will they do to us if we leave the EU? Seems to me that you are the one dodging questions.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:15 - 12 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 CPT wrote:
Inflation has been low and wage increases are a record high apparently.

You live on n the U.K. I take it?

Do you? https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45875599 'The average pace of wage growth was 4% before the global financial crisis. Economists have been puzzled why wages have grown so slowly even as unemployment has fallen sharply.'

Sload
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:20 - 12 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I'll try one more time as I don't think you are actually dishonest.

chickenstrip wrote:
I thought it was an analogy. I suggested to you that you don't have any further information and therefore don't actually know what would happen. Or indeed, had nothing of substance in the first place.

The analogy was a very basic thought experiment in relation to this:
chickenstrip wrote:

To which you reframed it to avoid answering. I thought you were just playing? To which I replied
Sload wrote:

I guess not.

chickenstrip wrote:
No, I'm still waiting for you to make it clear. Who are your predatory sharks? What will they do to us if we leave the EU? Seems to me that you are the one dodging questions.

Now this is perplexing, I have literally told you I am talking opinion and am trying to read into this more now.

chickenstrip wrote:
you don't have any further information and therefore don't actually know what would happen. Or indeed, had nothing of substance in the first place.

No I don't, certainly nothing concrete and nothing I would make an argument or a claim from, as I stated.

Are you intentionally mixing up points and twisting and misunderstanding me?

In case you missed it the first time

https://cdn.bcf.44bytes.net/files/untitled_160.png

Last edited by Sload on 18:23 - 12 Dec 2018; edited 1 time in total

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:36 - 12 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rent; the biggest outgoing for most people? Eh? Dianne Abbott could understand that graph, we're still below pre-recession levels, and they've been on their arse for most of the last decade.

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:56 - 12 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 CPT wrote:
OK, so May has just been on the news telling the HoC that they should vote to keep her, because the last thing the country needs now is another general election.

Excuse my ignorance, but if she has to resign, surely the Tories pick another leader and try to form a government from that? Why is she pretending it would force yet another general election?

Is it another of May's lies to get her way?

If she wins the Brexiteers can still screw her over. If some of the ERG resign the whip then she is running a minority administration.

mpd72 CPT wrote:

She's not actually achieved anything from what I can see. The country is being squeezed to the hilt, public spending cut and we're still spending beyond our means. She has done nothing to clamp down on mass immigration.

She was put in charge purely to fuck up Brexit and fall on her sword. One thing she has done well.

I'm not supporting May in the ballot, I want her out ASAP. Actually I never wanted her in. I'm just saying the previous PMs were as bad or worse.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:25 - 12 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

'She told them she will not lead the party into the next scheduled election in 2022 - but wants to stay on to deliver her Brexit deal, MPs said'.

No shit, her last election campaign was a disaster, I thought it was obvious she wouldn't be allowed to fight another.

It looks like she'll have enough support to stay as leader Crying or Very sad

Last edited by M.C on 19:25 - 12 Dec 2018; edited 1 time in total

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:25 - 12 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stacks of bickering there folks Laughing

So May gets voted on to determine if she can stay as leader or they begin a process of choosing a new leader.
I reckon May could stay on as leader (for a year unchallenged) if she simply states to the rest of them that her deal is a fail and she'll drop it completely. That she'll go hard Brexit.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 135 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 218, 219, 220 ... 521, 522, 523  Next
Page 219 of 523